Two sides to every story - Gay Conversion Therapy

Lurker

Star
(I do realize that not every situation is so idealistic, and that some people are going to be dangerous, and while I have no interest in revenge or retaliation, I do acknowledge that there are actions that must be taken to keep them from hurting more people.)
That sounds like a great signature.

Would you describe yourself as a moral optimist when it comes to human nature? What do you think the basic raw tendancy of humanity is?
I would say that before any analysis of desire, there is no tendency toward either selfishness or selflessness, only the innate tendency of yearning for acceleration of personal growth.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I would say that before any analysis of desire, there is no tendency toward either selfishness or selflessness, only the innate tendency of yearning for acceleration of personal growth.
Is growth inevitably "upwards", if directions mean anything solid from a moral perspective? I.e. in space, which way is "up"?

Is growth inevitably "upwards", if directions mean anything solid from a moral perspective? I.e. in space, which way is "up"?
No, choosing selfishness is like the "other" side of the fence, so to speak. Either way you're choosing to get off the fence. I personally don't find any pleasure on that side, but I realize that is just personal preference.

elsbet

Superstar
There is no motivation aside from asking myself and honestly answering the following question: "what exactly do I desire?"
Everything has a motive.. for some, it is 'doing the right thing' .. others because they were simply raised that way.