Two sides to every story - Gay Conversion Therapy

Violette

Star
I’m surprised GCT still exists in the current climate. If people go to the therapy willingly I don’t see the issue especially if they’ve experienced some trauma. The LGBT community can’t claim sexuality is fluid and fixed.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I’m surprised GCT still exists in the current climate. If people go to the therapy willingly I don’t see the issue especially if they’ve experienced some trauma. The LGBT community can’t claim sexuality is fluid and fixed.
Rather like a bridge they want to be able to cross that they don't want others to follow?

Aero

Superstar
Gay Conversion Therapy is pseudo-science at best. At worst it's snake oil.

Comparatively speaking though. You can go out in the UK and get smashed on alcohol for a few bucks. So why ban GCT? It clearly can't be that "dangerous". And personally speaking I think that people have to want to change with all of their being. You can't go in on change with 99% commitment. You have to be 100%

elsbet

Superstar
Watched the second video-- I like the honesty.

But why on earth would any kind of therapy be banned? For ANYTHING? Because they fear it, is my guess. It wont work, just like drug and alcohol 'conversion therapy' won't work, and doesn't work, outside of an act of God. Fortunately, acts of God happen all the time. :)

I've always had trouble with this one, but I have yet to hear a story of a homosexual person who has not been subject to abuse of some kind, whether physical or psychological in nature. Banning any kind of help for these people lets the abusers go, scot free.. which is the point, of course. Take the Catholic church.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Watched the second video-- I like the honesty.

But why on earth would any kind of therapy be banned? For ANYTHING? Because they fear it, is my guess. It wont work, just like drug and alcohol 'conversion therapy' won't work, and doesn't work, outside of an act of God. Fortunately, acts of God happen all the time. :)

I've always had trouble with this one, but I have yet to hear a story of a homosexual person who has not been subject to abuse of some kind, whether physical or psychological in nature. Banning any kind of help for these people lets the abusers go, scot free.. which is the point, of course. Take the Catholic church.
I found the following persons account interesting (having read her book)

https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/how-lesbian-feminist-atheist-professor-rosaria-butterfield-found-christ.3917/

elsbet

Superstar
Her case was a little different, wasn't it? Haven't heard of many with her pov.

" I —and others of my generation—dismissed the idea that we were “born this way.” Instead, I believed that my lesbian sexuality was a cleaner and more moral choice.”

Like one one of the commenters under the article, I'm also curious about her upbringing. Interesting story.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Her case was a little different, wasn't it? Haven't heard of many with her pov.

" I —and others of my generation—dismissed the idea that we were “born this way.” Instead, I believed that my lesbian sexuality was a cleaner and more moral choice.”

Like one one of the commenters under the article, I'm also curious about her upbringing. Interesting story.
Good book actually!

The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert

"Rosaria, by the standards of many, was living a very good life. She had a tenured position at a large university in a field for which she cared deeply. She owned two homes with her partner, in which they provided hospitality to students and activists that were looking to make a difference in the world. There, her partner rehabilitated abandoned and abused dogs. In the community, Rosaria was involved in volunteer work. At the university, she was a respected advisor of students and her department's curriculum. And then, in her late 30s, Rosaria encountered something that turned her world upside down-the idea that Christianity, a religion that she had regarded as problematic and sometimes downright damaging, might be right about who God was, an idea that flew in the face of the people and causes that she most loved. What follows is a story of what she describes as a "train wreck" at the hand of the supernatural. These are her secret thoughts about those events, written as only a reflective English professor could.

"In April of 1999, I felt the call of Jesus Christ upon my life. It was both subtle and blatant, like the peace inside the eye of a hurricane. I could in no way resist and I in no way understood what would become of my life."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Thoughts-Unlikely-Convert-Expanded-ebook/dp/B00ODF2R90/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530724791&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=rosaria+butterfield

polymoog

Superstar
https://www.henrymakow.com/2015/06/gay-reparative-therapy.html

banned in NJ, CA, and OR
banned in ontario and possibly manitoba

banning it vindicates the notion that homosexuality is normal.
as the article above states, "There's plenty of help and encouragement for people to be gay. Getting straight is another story."

---

Until 1973, homosexuality was considered a developmental disorder. Therapists thought it a major neurosis, a sexual perversion and even a physical illness. Then the Rockefellers yanked the chain of the American Psychological Association's and magically, overnight, what for centuries had been abnormal, suddenly was normal.

https://www.henrymakow.com/2014/02/how-america-went-gay.html

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
Good book actually!

The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert

"Rosaria, by the standards of many, was living a very good life. She had a tenured position at a large university in a field for which she cared deeply. She owned two homes with her partner, in which they provided hospitality to students and activists that were looking to make a difference in the world. There, her partner rehabilitated abandoned and abused dogs. In the community, Rosaria was involved in volunteer work. At the university, she was a respected advisor of students and her department's curriculum. And then, in her late 30s, Rosaria encountered something that turned her world upside down-the idea that Christianity, a religion that she had regarded as problematic and sometimes downright damaging, might be right about who God was, an idea that flew in the face of the people and causes that she most loved. What follows is a story of what she describes as a "train wreck" at the hand of the supernatural. These are her secret thoughts about those events, written as only a reflective English professor could.

"In April of 1999, I felt the call of Jesus Christ upon my life. It was both subtle and blatant, like the peace inside the eye of a hurricane. I could in no way resist and I in no way understood what would become of my life."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Thoughts-Unlikely-Convert-Expanded-ebook/dp/B00ODF2R90/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530724791&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=rosaria+butterfield
I saw her testimony years back and found it for you.

Her type of story is exactly what anti-gay conversion advocates want to be prevented from occurring.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I saw her testimony years back and found it for you.

Her type of story is exactly what anti-gay conversion advocates want to be prevented from occurring.
If more people would take the time to slow down and listen to stories like Rosaria's there would be a far more intelligent discussion going on. I love her use of language, and the honesty she shows.

Religious propaganda is infuriating sometimes. How would you feel about the opposite of this therapy? What if charlatans were also profiting from conversion therapy that attempts to turn kids gay? You would be okay with that side of the story too right? That's what I thought. Stop being afraid of the world. This is pure BS and should no longer be tolerated. Do you have any idea how damaging it can be to children especially? It's selfish and reprehensible and should never be tolerated by anyone. Grow up already. Stop being so afraid of the world. Religious people are acting like cornered animals when confronted with these issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-thing-feathers/201801/conversion-therapy-isnt-therapy-all?amp

Kung Fu

Superstar
I thought this was interesting too...

Of course, it isn't supported by kind of scientific and rational thought and I have been saying that for years. Also, we have the study on twins which showed us that identical twins vary in their orientation which shows that it simply can't be only genetic (if it even is) but also the environment that plays a role. And if it's not genetic than LGBT supporters have to stop claiming that these people are born that way. Also, using the "born that way" claim is dangerous seeing as you can use that for serial killers, pedophiles, and etc, and that's not the road we want to be going down.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Of course, it isn't supported by kind of scientific and rational thought and I have been saying that for years. Also, we have the study on twins which showed us that identical twins vary in their orientation which shows that it simply can't be only genetic (if it even is) but also the environment that plays a role. And if it's not genetic than LGBT supporters have to stop claiming that these people are born that way. Also, using the "born that way" claim is dangerous seeing as you can use that for serial killers, pedophiles, and etc, and that's not the road we want to be going down.
I think you would find Rosaria's perspective on this subject fascinating. To say that something is not God's best for you is not a phobic comment.

Just as homosexuality is a sin, so is homophobia (Rosaria defines homophobia 43 minutes in as "the fear and loathing of people who identify as LGBT and the wholesale writing off of their souls").

Jesus loved the sinners, prostitutes and tax collectors and so should we.

I think you would find Rosaria's perspective on this subject fascinating. To say that something is not God's best for you is not a phobic comment.

Just as homosexuality is a sin, so is homophobia (Rosaria defines homophobia 43 minutes in as "the fear and loathing of people who identify as LGBT and the wholesale writing off of their souls").

Show me someone who isn't being paid to speak on a stage. I watched it already out of curiosity. She obviously has issues to deal with and is only suppressing them further with religion.

Love? Sure, whatever. Empty words are still empty. It's action that counts..

Also, I will always be of the opinion that religion should never be forced upon children by their parents. I think it's morally wrong to do this. Wait until adulthood and accept that they will make their own decisions.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Also, I will always be of the opinion that religion should never be forced upon children by their parents. I think it's morally wrong to do this. Wait until adulthood and accept that they will make their own decisions.
But yet teaching them about how normal and natural homosexuality really is along with how man's common ancestor was an ape is perfectly fine.

EDIT: Also, why wouldn't I want to teach my kids Islam or Christianity if it will only benefit them? It will teach them to be kind to their neighbours, not to drink alcohol, not to engage in promiscuous sexual activities, not to gamble, and much more. Instead atheists want to teach my kids and the kids of others that there's no God and that we all evolved from a common ancestor and that all life amounts to is sexual production and surviving. What a great way of life.....said no logical person EVER.

Last edited:

Kung Fu

Superstar

Homophobia is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I have never met a person who was AFRAID of a homosexual.

Christianity and Islam have their differences but the one place where I see common ground is how both Jesus and Muhammad(pbuh) dealt with sinners. They were civilized, polite, and forgave them for the wrongdoings those people committed towards them.