Turkey Gang Harasses Cape Cod Mailman

Etagloc

Superstar
Turkey Gang Harasses Cape Cod Mailman
Neither snow, nor rain, nor wild turkeys can stop this Falmouth mailman.
By Jason Claffey, Patch Staff| Dec 14, 2015 11:01 am ET | Updated Dec 14, 2015 11:18 am ET

FALMOUTH, MA — Neither snow nor rain nor ... wild turkeys?

A Falmouth mailman resorted to arming himself with a prodder to keep a gang of terrorizing turkeys at bay during his daily route.

The magazine Cape Cod Wave captured a typical day for the mailman in this viral video:

"Every day!" the exasperated mailman says, as he's chased to his delivery van by the gang of five turkeys.

The gobbling turkeys even try to block his van as he drives away.

The mailman escapes unscathed, but he can probably be sure the turkey gang will be there to greet him next time.

Wild turkeys are relatively common in Massachusetts. On Cape Cod, they can be most often found near the the Massachusetts Military Reservation and the Cape Cod National Seashore, according to state wildlife officials.

Last year in Brookline, police were called for several wild turkey attacks on humans; the birds have been known to charge at people and try to claw their faces.

State wildlife officials provided these tips for dealing with aggressive turkeys:

• Don't feed turkeys—Keep wild things wild! Feeding, whether direct or indirect, can cause turkeys to act tame and may lead to bold or aggressive behavior, especially in the breeding season.
  • Keep bird feeder areas clean—Use feeders designed to keep seed off the ground, as the seed attracts turkeys and other wild animals. Clean up spilled seed from other types of feeders daily. Remove feeders in the spring, as there is plenty of natural food available for all birds.
  • Don't let turkeys intimidate you—Don't hesitate to scare or threaten a bold, aggressive turkey with loud noises, swatting with a broom or water sprayed from a hose. A dog on a leash is also an effective deterrent.
  • Cover windows or other reflective objects—If a turkey is pecking at a shiny object such as a vehicle or window, cover or otherwise disguise the object. Harass the bird by chasing it, squirting with a hose or other means of aggression.
  • Protect your gardens and crops—You can harass turkeys searching for food in your gardens. Dogs tethered on a run can also be effective in scaring turkeys away from gardens. Netting is another option to employ. In agricultural situations, some scare devices are effective.
  • Educate your neighbors—Pass this information along: Your efforts will be futile if neighbors are providing food for turkeys or neglecting to act boldly towards the birds. It requires the efforts of the entire neighborhood to help keep wild turkeys wild.
https://patch.com/massachusetts/falmouth/turkey-gang-harasses-cape-cod-mailman-0

polymoog

Superstar
Do you have any other wildlife?
its interesting to note that certain cities have different strays. i remember rome being filled with cats but no dogs. athens had lots of street dogs. india had almost no cats, but plenty of dogs. bangkok had cats, but no dogs. new york had no cats or dogs, but plenty of rats.

Wildlife in my area and most of them are considered nuisance/pest

Squirrels
chipmunks
possums
raccoons
skunks
mice
voles
snakes
rabbits
groundhogs
coyotes
white tail deer (many)
red fox (occasionally)
black bear (rarely)
Many varieties of birds

its interesting to note that certain cities have different strays. i remember rome being filled with cats but no dogs. athens had lots of street dogs. india had almost no cats, but plenty of dogs. bangkok had cats, but no dogs. new york had no cats or dogs, but plenty of rats.
You're a world traveler? I remember Rome having a cat sanctuary and not seeing stray dogs. New York is so true.

polymoog

Superstar
You're a world traveler? I remember Rome having a cat sanctuary and not seeing stray dogs. New York is so true.
i guess... i didnt think much of it. youre right! in the middle of rome there was a cat sanctuary with lots of cat families. it was right in the middle of the ruins, quite close to the colosseum. ah-- cairo had both cats and dogs-- if i remember, in relatively equal numbers.