Truth Behind The Mormon Religion

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Mark Twain was so funny and observational, but sadly died an atheist...

His observations on life later on from that perspective were very sad...

"A myriad of men are born; they labor and sweat and struggle for bread; they squabble and scold and fight; they scramble for little mean advantages over each other. Age creeps upon them; infirmities follow; shames and humiliations bring down their prides and their vanities. Those they love are taken from them and the joy of life is turned to aching grief. The burden of pain, care, misery, grows heavier year by year. At length ambition is dead; pride is dead; vanity is dead; longing for release is in their place. It comes at last - the only unpoisoned gift ever had for them - and they vanish from a world where they were of no consequence; where they achieved nothing; where they were a mistake and a failure and a foolishness; where they have left no sign that have existed - a world which will lament them a day and forget them forever. Then another myriad takes their place and copies all they did and goes along the same profitless road and vanishes as they vanished - to make room for another and another and a million other myriads to follow the same arid path through the same desert and accomplish what the first myriad and all the myriads that came after it accomplished - nothing!
Mark Twain, The Autobiography of Mark Twain

Contrast this with Paul's letter to the Philippians... 1:21-24

"21For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account."

Last edited:

Thunderian

Superstar
I've read a few interesting books on Joseph Smith and Mormonism. The definitive work on Smith, published in 1944 but very readable, is No Man Knows My History, which appears to be available online. I do have an actual copy, if anyone wants to borrow it. Just pay shipping and handling. :p

Another good one is Under the Banner of Heaven, which is about some murders that were connected to a fundamentalist offshoot of the LDS church, but it has some history on the church as well. That one was a bestseller by John Krakauer, so any secondhand book store or thrift shop should have a half dozen or so copies.

And I remember reading a book when I was younger called The Mormon Murders, a true account of a forger who specialized in Mormon-related artifacts and who ended up setting some pipe bombs to cover up his crimes. Lots of juicy stuff about the church in that one, too.

And of course, if you want some Mormon-related fiction, read the Sherlock Holmes story A Study in Scarlet. It's depiction of Mormonism is apparently way off (I can't remember what it says, since I last read it when I was 14), but hey, it's Sherlock Holmes.

Happy reading!