Transgender Woman Sues After Muslim Refuses Body Waxing Service

Thunderian

Superstar
Well, it's finally happened. The dreaded Muslim vs LGBTQ2 social justice match-up. Who will win?

Thank God Trudeau's in charge up here. He'll know what to do.

Transgender Woman Sues After Muslim Refuses Body Waxing Service
An unnamed male-to-female transgender is suing a spa in Canada after a female Muslim employee refused to wax him, citing religious grounds.​
According to the filed complaint, the trans woman tried to get a body waxing at Mad Wax beauty spa in March but was turned away when no one was available to perform the waxing. The employee who typically waxes male customers was out on sick leave, and the other employee working, a Muslim woman, refused, as she will not make physical contact with any male she is not related to.​
The complaint was brought before the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario. The application to the tribunal, filled out by the trans woman, says the spa's "refusal to provide me with leg-waxing services because I am a Transgender woman, and their disclosing my name, gender identity and personal information to various media outlets has left me feeling threatened, exposed, with my rights violated in terms of seeking services as a woman in the Windsor-Essex community."​
The complainant is seeking $50,000 for "immense harm to my dignity."​
Mad Wax, though, is standing by their employee. Jason Carruthers, president and CEO of Mad Wax Windsor Camp Inc., said he welcomes and respects his employee's religious beliefs.​
"All clients regardless of sex, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation are welcome," said Carruthers in a statement to CTV News. "However, we also welcome staff members and respect their religious beliefs and feelings of safety and dignity in regards to the right not to perform waxing services on males or male genitals."​
Carruthers' attorney, Ray Colautti, added that the spa "respects its own staff and religious beliefs and feelings of safety and dignity in regards to the right in not performing waxing services that they don't feel comfortable providing."​
As noted by The Christian Post, a religious freedom case in the United States with regard to Christian bakers, Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, is awaiting a ruling from the Supreme Court. The Colorado baker, Jack Phillips, services LGBT people frequently, but refused to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding service, citing his devout Christian beliefs.​

Thunderian

Superstar
This is something that has been seriously discussed for a few years now. What happens when the Muslim and the Gay infringe on each other's right to not be offended? This is the first such case I am aware of, and I keenly await the outcome.

Of course, in the wild it would be over already. It's only in Canada that this kind of artificial contest could even be held.

Awoken2

Superstar
*Top Tip*

Single males.

Shave all the hair off one leg. Then when you wake up each morning at least it will feel like your in bed with a woman.

.. Feel free to try Thunderain...if your single that is. Don't thank me.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Instead of rubbing yalls hands gleefully at the prospect of this "showdown".... why not unite the three monotheistic factions in an effort to confront this rampant, out-of-control gay agenda?
Once the Jewish people get into the fight, THEN we have a contest...... but they will have to confront their own on that front so Im not holding my breath waiting for it......

elsbet

Superstar
Instead of rubbing yalls hands gleefully at the prospect of this "showdown".... why not unite the three monotheistic factions in an effort to confront this rampant, out-of-control gay agenda?
Once the Jewish people get into the fight, THEN we have a contest...... but they will have to confront their own on that front so Im not holding my breath waiting for it......
Gleefully.. ?
Christian's are typically in the same, awkward position as the Muslim woman-- not sure where you're coming from tbh. In real life, the owner of the establishment is responsible-- not the employee, whose boundaries were determined prior to taking the job.

I'm not sure how the conflict even became an issue in the first place.. the customer should only have been informed that the person who handled that service wasn't there, and could we reschedule you for tomorrow? Throw in a coupon *smile* deal is done. All that other stuff need not be divulged because it is none of his business.

On an unrelated note, I just heard my downstairs neighbor say, 'Did Eddie Murphy die in a car crash?' :eek: Going to have a quick Google on that.

elsbet

Superstar
Do i have to google that joke ? But if i can't understand whats so funny about this thread i probably will not get joke either...Ok im too dumb to interact with humans...-Sadly logs out-
Universal Law (humorously speaking)

1. If you drop a slice of buttered toast, it will land butter-side down every time.

2. A cat ALWAYS lands on its feet.

Put toast butter side up on the back of a cat.. the two opposing forces will cause them both to hover infinitely.

I work in the customer service field and You know it’s not nice to book an appointment then not get the service you expected.Its a waste of your time and money.Also if the Muslim lady could not assist the transgender person,then why couldn’t another staff member assist her instead of telling the transgender they can’t be assisted due to religious purposes.All of that is non of customers business they just want to be waxed and go home.

I understand where the Muslim lady comes from and it’s important to respect each other’s religions but another person could have assisted her now this is a big thing and already society does not like Muslims.This is going to cause unnecessary havoc.

mecca

Superstar
Also if the Muslim lady could not assist the transgender person,then why couldn’t another staff member assist her instead of telling the transgender they can’t be assisted due to religious purposes.All of that is non of customers business they just want to be waxed and go home.
Well, the article said that the person who would be able to do it was out on leave. They should have just rescheduled the appointment, I feel like the transgender person was overreacting. But I do think it's weird that this Muslim woman works in a waxing shop in the first place if she doesn't even want to wax people.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Gleefully.. ?
Christian's are typically in the same, awkward position as the Muslim woman-- not sure where you're coming from tbh. In real life, the owner of the establishment is responsible-- not the employee, whose boundaries were determined prior to taking the job.

I'm not sure how the conflict even became an issue in the first place.. the customer should only have been informed that the person who handled that service wasn't there, and could we reschedule you for tomorrow? Throw in a coupon *smile* deal is done. All that other stuff need not be divulged because it is none of his business.

On an unrelated note, I just heard my downstairs neighbor say, 'Did Eddie Murphy die in a car crash?' :eek: Going to have a quick Google on that.
Well, the article said that the person who would be able to do it was out on leave. They should have just rescheduled the appointment, I feel like the transgender person was overreacting. But I do think it's weird that this Muslim woman works in a waxing shop in the first place if she doesn't even want to wax people.
If the Muslim woman only wants to perform the waxing services on biological females, I cant fault her. Its not her job to accommodate someone else's psychosis in her professional capacity, especially a man who wants to have her engage in his most private bodily areas.

mecca

Superstar
The application to the tribunal, filled out by the trans woman, says the spa's "refusal to provide me with leg-waxing services because I am a Transgender woman, and their disclosing my name, gender identity and personal information to various media outlets has left me feeling threatened, exposed, with my rights violated in terms of seeking services as a woman in the Windsor-Essex community
I feel like this is the company's fault. If they allowed this trans woman to book an appointment when no one was even there to wax her, it's their fault for not providing the service they said they would provide. Also apparently they exposed her name and identity to the media, which seems like a privacy violation.