Transgender Kids in mainstream media

Lisa

Superstar
Unfortunately I do not take your responses seriously because just like the little girl I posted above, with a cat with one eye on a shirt she is wearing over a body that is clearly being possessed, I fear it's too late for you.
Kinda silly to alienate someone over their choice of picture, isn't it?

Haich

Superstar
I was reading today of a mom and a son. The mom decided to become a dad and the son decided to become a daughter. The husband said he's gonna stay with his wife because she's a wonderful person. The world has become insane....
that sounds like a great movie plot

Haich

Superstar
Ive heard something about people even deciding their own age
although its probably a troll but it doesnt seem so unrealistic people might start demanding "my age, my choice" soon enough they are crazy
if it does better call myself 80+ and live on government support...

a friend of mine is going trans and im torn between either telling her to stop and thus end friendship and be labeled as a transphobic or support her and live with the sadness
I think try talk to why she feels she's trans (or he). Some kids feel quite alienated and want to feel a sense of belonging, others are probably just confused and can't deal with their hormones. Ultimately, all you can do is advise, I think your friend has to find their own journey. You do not have to accept their lifestyle but terminating the friendship is a little excessive and may add to his/her trauma. You can be civil i guess but ultimately your conflicting lifestyles will cause you to grow apart.

Lisa

Superstar
I think try talk to why she feels she's trans (or he). Some kids feel quite alienated and want to feel a sense of belonging, others are probably just confused and can't deal with their hormones. Ultimately, all you can do is advise, I think your friend has to find their own journey. You do not have to accept their lifestyle but terminating the friendship is a little excessive and may add to his/her trauma. You can be civil i guess but ultimately your conflicting lifestyles will cause you to grow apart.
I thought maybe they did it to stand out...look at me, I'm different, not really understanding what it is that they are doing?

Wokejuan

Rookie
I am leary of anything pushed by the media. Its gotten to the point imo anything pushed by them is leading towards a negative place.
Those tween-teen years can be rough on kids. I can only imagine what they go thru. I dont know any trans kids to talk to for more perspective.
It always seems like kids are exploited one way or another. Its too bad.

Haich

Superstar
so
I thought maybe they did it to stand out...look at me, I'm different, not really understanding what it is that they are doing?
Yh some do but i think some are very confused, do you remember what it was like to be a teenager?

Lisa

Superstar
Well, it may be abnormal, but transgender is a real mental state. I do find it very odd that the mom and the son both identify in that way.
Is it a real mental state though? How many things can people come up with that sound completely insane can we say, but it's a real mental state too do ya think?

MoroccanEyes

Rookie
Huh? So, dying his hair pink helps him to have longer hair? I gotta say that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Besides I've seen men, not transgendered, but men with long hair...
What. I said, they dyed his hair PINK so he can look like a gracious pony, and be unique so if HE was to cut his hair, people would be like what happened to the gracious pink pony hair! get it? therefore instilling in the kid's mind it's good to be uniqe, different! therefore embracing his new identity as a female.

Haich

Superstar
I am leary of anything pushed by the media. Its gotten to the point imo anything pushed by them is leading towards a negative place.
Those tween-teen years can be rough on kids. I can only imagine what they go thru. I dont know any trans kids to talk to for more perspective.
It always seems like kids are exploited one way or another. Its too bad.
Yh that's the point, it's exploiting a young person who is at that vulnerable and impressionable time of their life. I know a handful of teens do have a steady head and are mature, but most aren't and this invincible attitude is what allows them to fall prey to certain media trends and agendas.They are so sure they're male/female and rush to 'transition' instead of taking their time and actually thinking through the permanence of their actions.

Gender is one example, this can be extended to other topics

Haich

Superstar
What. I said, they dyed his hair PINK so he can look like a gracious pony, and be unique so if HE was to cut his hair, people would be like what happened to the gracious pink pony hair! get it? therefore instilling in the kid's mind it's good to be unique, different! therefore embracing his new identity as a female.
So in a sense they're encouraging the feminine behavior? He's not actually wanting to dye it, he's doing it because he feels it makes him more feminine? So performative?

Haich

Superstar
Is it a real mental state though? How many things can people come up with that sound completely insane can we say, but it's a real mental state too do ya think?
I see what you are saying, like you only have their word that this is indeed their mental state. Not sure how professionals diagnose transgender people

Lisa

Superstar
What. I said, they dyed his hair PINK so he can look like a gracious pony, and be unique so if HE was to cut his hair, people would be like what happened to the gracious pink pony hair! get it? therefore instilling in the kid's mind it's good to be uniqe, different! therefore embracing his new identity as a female.
Haha, no I don't get it...I thought telling people he was transgendered did all that anyway?

Lisa

Superstar
so

Yh some do but i think some are very confused, do you remember what it was like to be a teenager?
O, I agree they are confused. Yes, I know that it is easy to prey on the mind of a teenager...which is what this is all about. Then to try to normalize it like it isn't insane is insane really.

Lisa

Superstar
I see what you are saying, like you only have their word that this is indeed their mental state. Not sure how professionals diagnose transgender people
Well, I guess, they have a lot of clues as to their insanity?

Haich

Superstar
O, I agree they are confused. Yes, I know that it is easy to prey on the mind of a teenager...which is what this is all about. Then to try to normalize it like it isn't insane is insane really.
Yes the normalization is an issue, it shouldn't be something thrusted down our throats, like anything it should be challenged.

Lisa

Superstar
Yes the normalization is an issue, it shouldn't be something thrusted down our throats, like anything it should be challenged.
Well, unfortunately if you challenge it you are the big meany....not a lot of people want to be known as a big meany. Pretty effective....works on a lot of different things too!