Tired of the Tattoo thing?

Johnny5

Veteran
When soccer moms started getting them 15-20 years ago, it became really played out. Nothing says counter culture like driving in the minivan to pick up the kids from school with your sleeve tattoos before going to the book club to discuss Fifty Shades of Grey or Twilight while drinking a nice glass of wine.

polymoog

Superstar
When soccer moms started getting them 15-20 years ago, it became really played out.
for women: the rose on the ankle. or a heart. (*yawn*)
for men: that tribal tattoo pattern around the bicep. no one has THAT!

tattoos are great for people who lack depth.
when you are uninteresting to begin with, you can point to your cool tattoo.

@Johnny5 looks like im doing a "minnie driver" on tattoos!

Johnny5

Veteran
for women: the rose on the ankle. or a heart. (*yawn*)
for men: that tribal tattoo pattern around the bicep. no one has THAT!

tattoos are great for people who lack depth.
when you are uninteresting to begin with, you can point to your cool tattoo.

@Johnny5 looks like im doing a "minnie driver" on tattoos!
Haha. Yep, just not as harsh as this time!

they are no longer edgy, nor are they counter-culture-ish when its a fad to have them.
actually, as paul joseph watson pointed out, NOT having a tattoo (being pro-religion and conservative) is the new counter-culture.
I find the arguement that conservatism is the new counter-culture almost always 100% bullshit. That's not to say that someone can't be conservative and part of counter-cultural group... But 1.) to be counter-cultural, you actually have to be against the values of a culture. Conservatives love to pretend they are a minority but almost always aren't; there aren't very many nations where conservative political parties don't hold at least half the political power, 2.) they people who say it are almost always the most white-bread motherfuckers. I have a full beard, shaved head and wear a battle jacket (i.e.: patched denim vest) and used to wear a leather jacket before it started falling apart. I wonder who the cops are likely going to think is a problem... Me, or PJW?

John K

Established
This might seem trivial, and more of a rant than anything, but is anyone else tired of looking at all the tattoos? Is it another example of how our mass culture exhibits the hive mentality?
I don't mind to see tattoos.
But , there are somes cases of auto-immune diseases related with the ink of tattoos.
Mmmm , I guess they should think again about the consecuences of make a tattoo..

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I find the arguement that conservatism is the new counter-culture almost always 100% bullshit. That's not to say that someone can't be conservative and part of counter-cultural group... But 1.) to be counter-cultural, you actually have to be against the values of a culture. Conservatives love to pretend they are a minority but almost always aren't; there aren't very many nations where conservative political parties don't hold at least half the political power, 2.) they people who say it are almost always the most white-bread motherfuckers. I have a full beard, shaved head and wear a battle jacket (i.e.: patched denim vest) and used to wear a leather jacket before it started falling apart. I wonder who the cops are likely going to think is a problem... Me, or PJW?
I think in these post-modern times there is no “dominant culture” so there is no great value in pushing off against tattoos or having one as a “statement”. If you like one, get one, if not, stay away from the ink gun!!!

polymoog

Superstar
I find the arguement that conservatism is the new counter-culture almost always 100% bullshit. That's not to say that someone can't be conservative and part of counter-cultural group... But 1.) to be counter-cultural, you actually have to be against the values of a culture. Conservatives love to pretend they are a minority but almost always aren't; there aren't very many nations where conservative political parties don't hold at least half the political power, 2.) they people who say it are almost always the most white-bread motherfuckers. I have a full beard, shaved head and wear a battle jacket (i.e.: patched denim vest) and used to wear a leather jacket before it started falling apart. I wonder who the cops are likely going to think is a problem... Me, or PJW
im taking this off topic (sorry, toulouse). its semi-related.

the overwhelming culture we are experiencing in the west is that of liberalism. we are fed this through the politico-corporate pipeline, hollywood, MSM, and through the education system.
music should be the pulse of youth. it used to be against "the system" not too long ago. off the top of my head, ministry had that song "a new world order" and other punk/ grunge bands echoed the message of refusing to comply or obey with what we are being told. counter culture was always about anti- conformity.
today, do you see any bands railing against the system? railing about censorship and free speech? putting aside that the musicians are all puppets for their illuminist record labels, they arent rebelling against any mainstream propaganda messages-- they are actually in agreement with it! there are hundreds of examples... again, off the top of my head, that eminem song, "f- trump". i could turn on any channel on TV and get that message.

those that are most oppressed by the system today are conservatives and the religious. although they are traditionally supposed to expose the hypocrisy in the system, youll hear nothing of it from musicians` messages, though.

I have a full beard, shaved head and wear a battle jacket (i.e.: patched denim vest) and used to wear a leather jacket before it started falling apart. I wonder who the cops are likely going to think is a problem..
plenty of conservatives have beards and shaved heads (its not a political divide: if ones hair is thinning, youve got to either cut it short or shave it... or look uncool). the battle jacket admittedly will you give you away. in any case, the cops are going to have a problem when you start rioting and looting. im not saying that there arent prejudiced cops by any means, but we are going off topic here.
in any case, your look will be accepted as 'just' and "anti-racist" by many. being white and having a cross arounds one neck today gets your prejudged as a racist white supremacist arguably as often as a policeman would prejudge you as a societal problem.

i have tattoos, three.
I live mine, and i know they are not for everyone, and i especially know not many would want what i have, i have a plague doctor, vampire teeth and an Egyptian one. many would hate them, and honestly i dont care, i did them for me not for others, in fact two of them you cant even see that often, my plague doctor is on my upper arm, and i wear long sleeve tops most of the time. the Egyptian one is on the back of my neck, and i have really long hair i barely ever put up. the only one people really see is the vampire teeth which is on my wrist and as of yet i have had no bad comments, in fact ive had a lot of compliments.

I understand some might not like tattoos, what i dont get is those people who make a big deal about not having tattoos, to be honest i hate the fashionable ones, tribal, butterflies ect, but again thats for other people to chose, im all for body autonomy and that extends to tattoos or body modifications.
I dont have piercings, i dont even have my ears pierced, but i wont judge others that do.

It seems of late people have become smug about not having them and then feel the need to smugly proclaim how anti establishment they are for not having them, its like societies flipped. the non tattoo havers are the new vegans.

I never got mine to fight societal standards, to get at my parents ( my mother has tattoos), on a drunken whim or out of boredom, the Egyptian one i wanted for over 10 years and thought about it for that long before getting it, the vampire teeth, because i love vampires, the plague doctor, because well im quite morbid and like gothic things. all were planned long in advance, i dont regret any.