"though He Slay Me, I Will Hope In Him" - Is This Stupid Faith?

Mr. Blah

Veteran
Job 13:15a - "Though he slay me, I will hope in him".

Is this irrational & stupid faith?
Is this sadomasochistic faith?

Mentally-sane rational people couldn't accept this crazy idea.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Job 13:15a - "Though he slay me, I will hope in him".

Is this irrational & stupid faith?
Is this sadomasochistic faith?

Mentally-sane rational people couldn't accept this crazy idea.
It's called faith. That no matter what happened to Job, no matter how unjust and bad it got, Job still believed in God. That's a huge kind of faith right there...

True World Order

Established
We all have to die one day and suffering is universal. It is quite rational to just accept whatever happens to you in life and be happy anyway, rather than holding on too tightly to things which will inevitably fade away with time.

Being able to forgive someone who has wronged you (even to the point of taking your life) is a good thing, as we would like to be forgiven for any evil we have done and there is always the chance that people can change for the better.

Mr. Blah

Veteran
It's called faith. That no matter what happened to Job, no matter how unjust and bad it got, Job still believed in God. That's a huge kind of faith right there...
It is like having faith in/loving abusive boyfriend/husband.

I doubt you would do it because (hypothetical) abusive boyfriend/husband is mere human. Not God.
You would leave him for certain.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Earth is a theatre of war (not just conventional warfare) and how we steadfastly maintain faith in God stands as a witness/testimony to all intelligences in vindicating God's name. Imagine yourself on the other side. What would register in your mind, upon watching a human being maintain their faith in God,in the face of immense tragedy for a long time? Only a person of great faith can say what Job said, only someone who 'knows' their God can go the distance. To remain faithful no matter what (whether or not you acquire what you desire), regardless what 'outsiders' think...... "being relentless in our faith in God sometimes makes people
question our intelligence and makes us the subject of stigmatization when the focus of our faith seems to be unrealistic. This is what some
Christians fear, and as a result, deny their faith in God (either in words or actions). But any faith
in God that cannot be expressed both in words and in actions when tested is mere presumption."

"....... The redeemed only, of all created beings, have in their own experience known the actual conflict with sin; they have wrought with Christ and,
as even the angels could not do, have entered into the fellowship of His sufferings; will they have no testimony as to the science of redemption— nothing that will be of worth to unfallen beings?"

Proverbs 24:10

"If you falter in the time of trouble, how small is your strength!"

Lisa

Superstar
It is like having faith in/loving abusive boyfriend/husband.

I doubt you would do it because (hypothetical) abusive boyfriend/husband is mere human. Not God.
You would leave him for certain.
I'm not sure how God equals having an abusive boyfriend/husband as God is neither my boyfriend or my husband nor is he supposed to be. He is God and He is my Father.

Was Job abused by God? God allowed Job to be tested through the evil scheme of satan, yes. But, it showed what Job's faith was really about, it was deep and it was loyal. Though God slay him, he will hope in God...wow! That says a lot about the man's faith. He had a bigger and better picture of God than anyone and he stayed to true to it and in the end God gave him more than he had before. He only suffered for a short time...and was blessed by God as he stayed faithful though even his wife told him to curse God and die...but he wouldn't. He didn't understand, didn't like it, but he knew God and in the end God showed Himself to be just. It's a good book in the Bible for those who suffer and think that God doesn't know, doesn't care and you find out that God knew, God cares and God brings you out of your suffering..you don't suffer forever and with God things can be better than before. I know, because I too have suffered like Job and God has brought things around for me. It's an awesome thing to be in the hands of God!

I also think of 3 men with a great faith in God, Meshach, Shadrach and Abednego, they were set to go into the fiery furnace and they told the king....
If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image you have set up....They knew that it could go either way and that either way they were faithful to God. One has to remember that God doesn't stop things from happening to you just because you believe, but He is the One that will get you through it all....you just have to keep believing in Him.

Mr. Blah

Veteran
We all have to die one day and suffering is universal. It is quite rational to just accept whatever happens to you in life and be happy anyway, rather than holding on too tightly to things which will inevitably fade away with time.

Being able to forgive someone who has wronged you (even to the point of taking your life) is a good thing, as we would like to be forgiven for any evil we have done and there is always the chance that people can change for the better.
Regarding vanity of life and death, I don't subscribe to atheist view.
Just vanish to oblivion and no resurrection? Very depressing.

Deep down in my heart, I still hope Christianity is true.
But, I am in trouble to prove it true.

True World Order

Established
Regarding vanity of life and death, I don't subscribe to atheist view.
Just vanish to oblivion and no resurrection? Very depressing.

Deep down in my heart, I still hope Christianity is true.
But, I am in trouble to prove it true.
I won't be able to prove Christianity true for you but I can give you this to think about...

Physics tells us that energy can't be created or destroyed, it just changes into a different kind of energy. Our nervous systems have an electric field while we are alive, where does that energy (and any other potential energy) you had in your body go when you die?

Mr. Blah

Veteran
I won't be able to prove Christianity true for you but I can give you this to think about...

Physics tells us that energy can't be created or destroyed, it just changes into a different kind of energy. Our nervous systems have an electric field while we are alive, where does that energy (and any other potential energy) you had in your body go when you die?
Do you have some data to prove this?
Or, just your assumption?

But some Christians say that death is just like "sleep" (as Jesus said that Lazarus was sleeping - John 11:11).
You won't feel anything, but after the point you die, suddenly you are in judgement seat of God or transformed into resurrection body.
That's according to those Christians.
But, it would contradict many NDEs in which they saw light tunnel or saw their deceased relatives in a sort of peaceful world (i.e. paradise/heaven).

True World Order

Established
Do you have some data to prove this?
Or, just your assumption?
To prove that energy can't be created or destroyed? I was taught this in physics when I went to school, there is the possibility that it could be wrong but it made sense to me at the time. One example being that the energy of a fire is transferred from it's fuel source into heat and light, which then get transferred into something else, it's just constant actions and reactions.

If it was about our brains and nervous systems having an electric field, that's because of how the brain and nervous system work (with electronic signals sent to/from the brain which is basically just folded up skin, nerves and water). Sharks can sense the electronic fields of other creatures with their ampullae of Lorenzini.

But some Christians say that death is just like "sleep" (as Jesus said that Lazarus was sleeping - John 11:11).
You won't feel anything, but after the point you die, suddenly you are in judgement seat of God or transformed into resurrection body.
That's according to those Christians.
But, it would contradict many NDEs in which they saw light tunnel or saw their deceased relatives in a sort of peaceful world (i.e. paradise/heaven).
Comparing death to sleep seems like quite a fair and reasonable comparison to me. I think we visit somewhere else in our dreams. NDE's and actual death are a bit different to just falling asleep and having a dream. Maybe similar, but we go to sleep almost every night but hopefully we are only going to die once. I think it will be reasonable to assume that we are helped through our transition from life into death, we certainly get a bigger hit of DMT than we do in REM sleep.