This is what it's like

morita

Established
(I had already posted this tweet somewhere else but the thread was derailed by trolls and turned into a pity party so here it is)

This is what living life as a woman is like.
Because apparently if you aknowledge men's existence=you're interested.
You can't just go from point A to point B without unwanted male emotions/attention, without them needing to assert themselves into your existence.
Not just that, it continues in the comment under this very tweet with a bunch of men trying to invalidate her experience, mansplain her, giving their unwanted opinions. It happens every time.

PS: If you think she's overreacting, it says a lot more about you than it says about her. Also you're part of the problem.
Don't respond if it's to say #notallmen, because yes it's all men.

Orwell's mentor

Veteran
Sigh, the pitfalls of social media.

You stated you posted Bri Larson’s two-year old tweet in an earlier thread and have now made it into a thread. To clarify, are you now simply making a declaration and a sweeping generalization of ½ the world’s population and just looking for people to agree with you?

morita

Established
Sigh, the pitfalls of social media.

You stated you posted Bri Larson’s two-year old tweet in an earlier thread and have now made it into a thread. To clarify, are you now simply making a declaration and a sweeping generalization of ½ the world’s population and just looking for people to agree with you?
I'm not making a tweet into a thread, I'm posting it bc she has a large following base and she gives anecdotal evidence. And if you cared to read the comments under her tweet you'd realize she's not the only one it happens to.

Last edited:

morita

Established
That's important, before approaching a stranger woman, men should always ask themselves is it appropriate? the right time/place? Am I being creepy?
If you make the approach those are things you should consider.
The onus isn't on the women who are minding their own business to smile an be nice.
Women aren't asking anyone anything.

Orwell's mentor

Veteran
I'm not making a tweet into a thread, I'm posting it bc she has a large following base and she gives anecdotal evidence. And if you cared to read the comment under her tweet you'd realize she's not the only one it happens to.
Actually, I did read the comments in the thread, and it reads like she’s making much ado about nothing. The only thing I thought that could be deemed inappropriate is that the TSA employee was working when he asked her for her phone number once she smiled at him. Now, if he treated her inappropriately after she said no such as detaining her, then body searched her, making her miss her flight, taxi, event, etc., then it would be an issue.

He only asked for her number so what exactly is she whining about? What’s wrong with responding by saying something along the lines of “I’m flattered, but I’m not interested”? Also, just because some actress in Hollywood has a huge Twitter following does not make her interpretation of an event the gospel.

Robin

Veteran
Actually, I did read the comments in the thread, and it reads like she’s making much ado about nothing. The only thing I thought that could be deemed inappropriate is that the TSA employee was working when he asked her for her phone number once she smiled at him. Now, if he treated her inappropriately after she said no such as detaining her, then body searched her, making her miss her flight, taxi, event, etc., then it would be an issue.

He only asked for her number so what exactly is she whining about? What’s wrong with responding by saying something along the lines of “I’m flattered, but I’m not interested”? Also, just because some actress in Hollywood has a huge Twitter following does not make her interpretation of an event the gospel.
I probably shouldn't be responding here because the last time I gave my opinion in a thread of hers she basically told me to gtfo and called me a troll. But all I'll say as a woman is that being hit on when uninterested is at worst, annoying. But someone paying a respectful compliment or asking for your number is nowhere near on the level of harassment or whatever would require a "defensive" attitude. Also you'd think users on a platform like this would be a little more critical about celebrities.

rainerann

Star
I think that what this guy's demographics are part of what is missing to this story too. If this guy is like somewhere between 25 and 35 and even reasonably attractive, this is just stupid. This girl is like 30 and is still healthy and attractive. The fact that it seems so shocking that she is being asked out even if it is by a TSA agent is absolutely ridiculous.

To be honest, I do enjoy outgrowing this experience a little bit because when you are between the age of 15ish to 35ish, you could say this is basically the mating season of life. So yes people will ask for your phone number and maybe they will do this often if you are a relatively attractive person. It makes me feel a little old to say that, but that is how it is really is and there is nothing wrong with it. This will happen frequently during this age range and it does not mean you need to live in defense mode. Asking for someone's number does not equal sexual harassment and it seems like she is being roasted a little bit for saying this because most people realize that this is not an example of harassment.

And no it is not all men if the situation is the way I imagine and this guy is relatively attractive and under the age of 50. It is only going to be the single men who are doing things like this. There are a lot of men who stop doing things like this when they are in a relationship, and a few bad apples and sleazy examples every now and then still won't tip the scales so far as to say all men are like this. They aren't.

Awoken2

Star
Isn't this just ANOTHER thinly veiled attempt to get women arguing against men type thread?

:rolleyes:

....we've had loads of these already. 0/10 for originality.

morita

Established
The only thing I thought that could be deemed inappropriate is that the TSA employee was working when he asked her for her phone number once she smiled at him. Now, if he treated her inappropriately after she said no such as detaining her, then body searched her, making her miss her flight, taxi, event, etc., then it would be an issue.
I can't stress this enough: THE RESPONSIBILITY SHOULDN'T BE ON HER.
Someone who walks through security, well, has the right to feel safe.(I cant believe I have to write this).
Guy is not only doing his job, he's in a position of authority.

When there is an imbalance of power, it's harassement. Regardless of what some dumb trolls may be saying on here.
What if it was a cop that asked for her number as she got pulled over? Same.

There is nothing flattering about being made to feel vulnerable when you're walking through security. That's someting that men need to get through their head, we're not flattered, we just want to be left alone in public.
I don't know you but seeing how salty you are over this tweet, I presume you either don't like her or you were once in the tsa agent position?

Well, if you made someone uncomfortable, you should own it and accept it was your behaviour that was inappropriate, don't put the blame on someone else for messing up.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
(I had already posted this tweet somewhere else but the thread was derailed by trolls and turned into a pity party so here it is)

You can't just go from point A to point B without unwanted male emotions/attention, without them needing to assert themselves into your existence.
Not just that, it continues in the comment under this very tweet with a bunch of men trying to invalidate her experience, mansplain her, giving their unwanted opinions. It happens every time.

PS: If you think she's overreacting, it says a lot more about you than it says about her. Also you're part of the problem.
Maybe Bree could have been flattered and moved on. She didn’t have to give her number did she?

morita

Established
says the troll who keeps following me from thread to thread after I told them to gtfo.
You're the one in need for help you dumbass.

JoChris

Star
says the troll who keeps following me from thread to thread after I told them to gtfo.
You're the one in need for help you dumbass.
I can see both sides of the fence, having been a strong feminist in my early adulthood then a mother of two sons (now in University).

Why start a thread if you only want complete agreement though?

Hon33

Established
Okay, so maybe it was unprofessional to ask for her number while he was working. If he had waited until he was off duty, would it have been better?
I’m guessing there are many happy relationships out there that simply wouldn’t exist, if men (or women) hadn’t felt inspired to ask for someone’s number.
By turning him down, she might have missed the opportunity of a lifetime!;)

Corvus Metus

Veteran
LOL!... no it's not.
"All cops are bastards." Some people have a problem with this statement, since they might personally know police officers who kind people. They might look the other way if someone is commiting a victimless crime, might be a compassionate person, and are probably good to their family. But when someone says "all cops are bastards", most aren't referring to individuals. It's referring to the collective. The thin blue line is a thing and good cops often ignore bad cops.

Apply the same logic to #notallmen and ask yourself if it sounds like a version of the thin blue line.

Cintra

Established

Must be nice to be beautiful and have men falling at your feet.