This Is What Humanity Has Amounted To.

mecca

Superstar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mecca

Superstar

elsbet

Superstar
Well people can't live off of the current wage so it's basically pointless unless it's raised. But I don't really know.
They are one of a bazillion places that don't pay a living wage.
The good thing about most minimum wage jobs is that you don't need a lot of experience (if any), and you can have a flexible schedule.. perfect for people in high school or college. I think they also promote from within-- more money the higher you go. Places like that, though-- seems like they employ folks who would have a hard time getting a job elsewhere.

It has its place.

elsbet

Superstar
Well people can't live off of the current wage so it's basically pointless unless it's raised. But I don't really know.
I skimmed ... sorry.

Raising the minimum wage would just cause prices to rise to meet the new minimum. It's a sick world.

justjess

Superstar
Well the minimum wage hasnt gone up in a really long time.. yet prices keep rising anyway. And there comes a point where raising prices backfires and people stop purchasing things, at that point they buy one less yacht instead.

Other countries with living wages have not seen unaffordable big macs.

Well the minimum wage hasnt gone up in a really long time.. yet prices keep rising anyway. And there comes a point where raising prices backfires and people stop purchasing things, at that point they buy one less yacht instead.

This country has various minimum wages, state to state.

elsbet

Superstar

Small increases over time are necessary. Doubling the minimum at one time though? That is what this is about. Check out the article.

I don't speak in terms of yachts though, and I don't know anyone who does, much less in multiples. But that is just a dismissive statement that garners likes from those who would likely not be affected anyway.

justjess

Superstar
The super rich who own most of these companies... do you honestly think a decrease in the amount of profits woll hurt their pocket in some meaningful way? They already have more mlney then they know what to do with

Small businesses are different but in my experience usually pay fairer to begin with, atleast when there is an involved owner. Harder to treat your employees like crap when your working right next to them.

The super rich who own most of these companies... do you honestly think a decrease in the amount of profits woll hurt their pocket in some meaningful way? They already have more mlney then they know what to do with

Small businesses are different but in my experience usually pay fairer to begin with, atleast when there is an involved owner. Harder to treat your employees like crap when your working right next to them.
It can hurt if enough people do it.