There's Something Seriously Wrong with Our Health

umphreak

Established
Body weight is the most controlled system in the human body. That's why diet programs don't really work. And BTW I blame all of these problems on corporate america. It's all about those profit margins, and nothing else. If we get sick off their food, it's our fault. If you hurt yourself inside of any American corporation, it's your fault.

I'm tired of it all too. Corporations want all of the rewards for their existence, but none of the responsibility. And for some odd reason we keep letting them do it. I hear the excuses, and victim blaming all of the time. It's like we decided to play opposites day, and never stopped. The corporations should care more about the customers. Not customers caring more about some fake ass brand.

It doesn't make sense. Corporations don't make money without customers. But people can buy products without corporations. We can buy cheap products too. We literally don't need them, they need us! So what the hell are we really doing out there?
Body weight is definitely highly controlled. The body has a "setpoint" that is defended at all costs. If you go below the setpoint, whether through diet or exercise, your body actually increases hunger in order to defend its "preferred" body weight, which is why it's so hard to lose weight! The setpoint can change, and that's basically the problem. Eating highly palatable foods (which most processed foods are designed to be) all the time raises the setpoint. And it's much easier to raise it than it is to bring it back down!

Food corporations make food the way they do because there is a huge demand for it! People want cheap*, quick, ultra-palatable food. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. People have choice and therefore are NOT victims, in my opinion. This is the crux of the problem: people have a victim mentality. It's always "oh, the evil corporations are poisoning us, we're victims!" If people voted with their dollars and made the CHOICE to spend their money on fresh, minimally-processed foods and prepare them themselves at home, I guarantee that that's what the corporate interests would produce more of. If people made the CHOICE to actually educate themselves about what it really means to eat healthy (instead of just taking the government's word for it), they would reap the benefits. When demand increases, so does supply. This is a basic law of economics. So until people decide to stop being victims and take personal responsibility for their own health, nothing will change. That's not victim-blaming to say that.

*Of course, processed foods only appear cheap in the US because they are subsidized by our tax dollars, so we pay for them at tax time and then again at the grocery store*

Maes17

Superstar
Lack of getting out in nature and such as well.
People are slowly depending on tech for everything.

Our bodies have become weaker as a result.

Victoria

Rookie
Once you get to a point of being sick it's like a vicious downward spiral. For example, sometimes I am too sick and in pain to make healthy meals, and that means sticking a "healthy" frozen dinner in the microwave (or more realistically, getting my husband to do it because I'm in bed.) Sometimes it means no exercise because the mere act of standing up causes my feet to burn and knees to collapse. Sometimes going to the bathroom requires a cane.

That's the severe end of it. Most days, a vast majority of my days, aren't that bad.

I try to compensate by making meals ahead of time when I am feeling ok, and prepping fresh food, but even that takes a long time if you consider the time it takes to wash the prep area, then wash the dishes, then wash the prep area again.

I realize fully what a healthy meal is. I realize my caloric needs and how to create a calorie deficit (eat less, mostly plants, move more, duh.) I know about macro and micro nutrients, probiotics and prebiotics. I know about how to clean pesticides from produce using the baking soda method that takes about 10 minutes. I am just starting to learn about herbal remedies that work (gotta love rosemary!)

But when those bad days hit I can be taken back to square one. It doesn't matter what I know because all I know is that if I buy fresh food it's going to spoil because I won't be able to prep it in time, nor is grocery shopping even an option at this point. Dirty dishes pile up because I physically can't bend over unless I want to cry and add +1 hour to my bed time. So the options are: get my husband to make the food and do the dishes (he won't do it regularly enough), eat single-use frozen meals where I can throw away the dish afterwards, or don't eat at all.

The good news is that I'm going to be working with a nurse to keep on track with everything. :) I don't want to live like this for the rest of my life and neither does my husband. Bringing in some help will go a long way.

Maes17

Superstar
Speaking of sick. Think I'm dealing with heat stroke or sumthin' o_O I like to push the limit when it comes to fitness. Went to a nearby high school track this morning in a heavyweight sweatsuit and did a sprint workout. Felt great at the time, but I feel hot now. I'll live lol

Vixy

Star
Once you get to a point of being sick it's like a vicious downward spiral. For example, sometimes I am too sick and in pain to make healthy meals, and that means sticking a "healthy" frozen dinner in the microwave (or more realistically, getting my husband to do it because I'm in bed.) Sometimes it means no exercise because the mere act of standing up causes my feet to burn and knees to collapse. Sometimes going to the bathroom requires a cane.

That's the severe end of it. Most days, a vast majority of my days, aren't that bad.

I try to compensate by making meals ahead of time when I am feeling ok, and prepping fresh food, but even that takes a long time if you consider the time it takes to wash the prep area, then wash the dishes, then wash the prep area again.

I realize fully what a healthy meal is. I realize my caloric needs and how to create a calorie deficit (eat less, mostly plants, move more, duh.) I know about macro and micro nutrients, probiotics and prebiotics. I know about how to clean pesticides from produce using the baking soda method that takes about 10 minutes. I am just starting to learn about herbal remedies that work (gotta love rosemary!)

But when those bad days hit I can be taken back to square one. It doesn't matter what I know because all I know is that if I buy fresh food it's going to spoil because I won't be able to prep it in time, nor is grocery shopping even an option at this point. Dirty dishes pile up because I physically can't bend over unless I want to cry and add +1 hour to my bed time. So the options are: get my husband to make the food and do the dishes (he won't do it regularly enough), eat single-use frozen meals where I can throw away the dish afterwards, or don't eat at all.

The good news is that I'm going to be working with a nurse to keep on track with everything. :) I don't want to live like this for the rest of my life and neither does my husband. Bringing in some help will go a long way.
Unfortunally I recognize this. people talk about eating healthy but when I'm in a bad period, I can walk to the kitchen, bathroom and back to bed. Cooking isnt an option so micro here we gooo!

However I've become WAY betetr with the help of a homeopathic doctor and its looking good. I advice you all to find one.

Victoria

Rookie
Unfortunally I recognize this. people talk about eating healthy but when I'm in a bad period, I can walk to the kitchen, bathroom and back to bed. Cooking isnt an option so micro here we gooo!

However I've become WAY betetr with the help of a homeopathic doctor and its looking good. I advice you all to find one.
I am looking to see if I can't educate myself out of this. I am so far into debt with doctors and hospitals I just can't afford to go to a Naturopath whom my insurance will not cover. Soooo I am growing my own herbs and working towards getting up stamina to cook regular meals. (Cooking also includes the cleaning of dishes, prep areas, cleaning of produce, etc. It can be a job in of itself.)

I feel like I can get myself out of this mess of health problems, and my husband, too. It took me years to get sick and fat, so it will take years to get healthy again. That I'm prepared for.

Sucks though when I have a good week followed by a bad week. I tried the whole 'meal prep' trend and it was going good until my pain kicked in, then most of the produce and meat I had bought rotted because I was unable to stand to cook it. :(

Vixy

Star
I am looking to see if I can't educate myself out of this. I am so far into debt with doctors and hospitals I just can't afford to go to a Naturopath whom my insurance will not cover. Soooo I am growing my own herbs and working towards getting up stamina to cook regular meals. (Cooking also includes the cleaning of dishes, prep areas, cleaning of produce, etc. It can be a job in of itself.)

I feel like I can get myself out of this mess of health problems, and my husband, too. It took me years to get sick and fat, so it will take years to get healthy again. That I'm prepared for.

Sucks though when I have a good week followed by a bad week. I tried the whole 'meal prep' trend and it was going good until my pain kicked in, then most of the produce and meat I had bought rotted because I was unable to stand to cook it. :(
I see how you're thinking here. Problem with this is that there is LOADS and LOADS of reading and information to take in, alot even for a clear head, so it would take you years and years to be able to even come close to the cause and those years is lost time in your life, living and exploring life. Therefore I strongly advice you to go see a natural doc. The cause is usually something so deep down that you'll need an iris scan to reveal it and for that you'll need the equipment and to do it on yourself which is impossible.

sim hae

Established

You could just eat the veggies without cooking them. And maybe peel them so you can save those 10 minutes spent on cleaning the pesticides off them.
As a child I ate tones and tones of raw carrots, cabbage, celery, beet, cucumbers, etc while my mom was cutting them to make us meals. I loved them. You can eat most vegetables just as they are or with some hummus or tofu, and you won't even dirty up a pile of dishes this way.

kittybratxx

Established
Children are becoming very sick these days, Physically and Mentally.. More susceptible to getting ill and diseases. and by the time they reach teenage years a lot of them are depressed and have anxiety issues and have to be prescribed anti depressant's No surprise with how messed up this world is.... and it's only getting worse!

Maes17

Superstar
Ugh. I ate two of those sourdough kings from burger king.

See y'all on the other side if I don't make it. No mo fast food for me