Therapists are supposed to diagnose all of their patients, amongst other things, former therapist speaks out

Vixy

Star
Not trying to judge but...why are you friends with someone with ASD? They'll only hurt you. Please take care of yourself. Also, that's pretty common to misdiagnose, as they both have similar apparent traits. The only difference is a narcissist is genuinely angry when going through narcissistic rage, whereas a sociopath is normally putting it on (but they can be genuinely angry).
Yeah, I know. It's true about ASD, unfortunally. 20 years of my life has gone to figure that out. My exes all had it and so did my mom. But I've grasped that I probably will end up with a guy with ASD since everyone I meet has it, so it seems like something I can't get away from. The problem is that as you say they hurt me badly and I end up paying the price in the end. That's why I'm 41 and single, dude. It's tragic.

Vixy

Star
You understand that many of the disorders mimic each other in a lot of ways and it takes a LOT OF time observing someone in the natural environment (which is difficult enough) and also interviewing to get a true read on what your looking at? People really shouldn’t be diagnosed at all until they’ve spent 30-90 days under 24:7 observation, but no one is going to pay for that so psychiatrists/therapists have limited info to go on and a lot of pressure from clients and insurance companies to label and treat immediately and prematurely. Everyone wants a quick fix when there truly isn’t one and then blames the messenger.
That's EXACTLY what I've said for such a long time! That therapists can't diagnose due to spending too little time with the person and therefore not getting the good read out of it. That's also why friends are a better bet for diagnosing IF they've read up on about what different diagnosis entale. But as you say: not enough money and time for doing that, thus the terrible outcome of misdiagnosis.

I can only imagine what you've been through before getting the right diagnosis on your family. :( I'm so sorry for what you've probably had to live through with that.

Vixy

Star
Not sure if she meant antisocial or autism spectrum... either way it’s easy to confuse since many disorders share many traits
Meant ASD. And they do share many common traits such a s lack of empathy amongst other things. The difference is usually that the ASD person is a loner and suffers from social phobia and depression while the psychopath is overly social and reads people very well so he/she can manipulate them. Both dangerous ppl to be around, however the ASD person doesnt mean to hurt you, they just dont know better and even though they mean well situations usually come out wrong while the psychopath has a sadistic side and really doesnt care about others wellbeing.

Maes17

Superstar
You understand that many of the disorders mimic each other in a lot of ways and it takes a LOT OF time observing someone in the natural environment (which is difficult enough) and also interviewing to get a true read on what your looking at? People really shouldn’t be diagnosed at all until they’ve spent 30-90 days under 24:7 observation, but no one is going to pay for that so psychiatrists/therapists have limited info to go on and a lot of pressure from clients and insurance companies to label and treat immediately and prematurely. Everyone wants a quick fix when there truly isn’t one and then blames the messenger.
Agreed

justjess

Superstar
Meant ASD. And they do share many common traits such a s lack of empathy amongst other things. The difference is usually that the ASD person is a loner and suffers from social phobia and depression while the psychopath is overly social and reads people very well so he/she can manipulate them. Both dangerous ppl to be around, however the ASD person doesnt mean to hurt you, they just dont know better and even though they mean well situations usually come out wrong while the psychopath has a sadistic side and really doesnt care about others wellbeing.
ASD is short for autism spectrum disorder. ASPD is short for anti social personality disorder, which is what I’m pretty sure you are talking about here. Don’t be fooled a true aspd doesn’t care if they hurt you, it’s just the clinical term for a psychopath AND a sociopath.

Carolyn

Star
I am pretty sure my mother has some kind of ASPD aka sociopath. I feel terrible saying that but am sure its true. There was a big thing happened about 6 years ago now, she was working as a carer at the time and the woman she was supporting died in the bath and Ive never spoken to her much about it, am afriad of how that conversation would go, am not sure I could even force myself to actually vocalise in any way about it. It was in the papers on and off for a couple of years and I dunno. My mothers always been really neglectful and ignorant of others feelings, except her partner, shes been with him now for about 25 years but before that she was the same with any guy she ever went out, I always felt more of an inconvenience tbh and its not that I think she hates me, she just doesnt really actually truthfully care and its still like that, its not genuine, tbh the only reason shes been nicer to me the last few years is cause after what happened it shook her up but still its all about her and how she feels etc It makes me so fucking angry that she sits there and moans about minor health issues when both me and my daughter are really not in a good way healthwise at all. Its pointless talking to her about it though cause nothing penetrates or sticks with her, she just doesnt get anything outside "her" or what she wants for "her"

justjess

Superstar
More likely a narcissist. Not that it makes things any easier. Stay strong girlie. Toxic people just aren’t worth wasting mental space over.

kittybratxx

Established
they have failed to diagnose my sister for 30 years and still haven't done so. no one knows whats wrong with her

Dalit

Star
Maybe these therapists were very shitty ones too. Idk just thinking out loud. Cause my therapists to help manage my OCD was just terrible at it. 6 months later, and I still don't know how to manage it.
Are you feeling better now? Have been called OCD and depressed/anxious, too. Don't believe the labels. Plus even the great ones, great thinkers, writers, etc., struggled with these things.

Dalit

Star
Any tips on dealing with a bi-polar neighbor? :/
Handle with kid gloves and realize they can be fun but they can be tragic at the same time.

Had a good friend once who was bipolar. Loved him actually even though it was more of a platonic love because he was too much older than me and I was young and flighty. He was the best listener and so laidback, but I saw the warning signs and because of distance and him shutting me and others out, he succumbed to suicide. Will never forget him.

If you know your neighbor well enough, maybe look in on him or her and try to be a friend if possible. They need good neighbors, near and far.

Last edited:

Maes17

Superstar
In what way? That’s incredibly broad
She's just a lady who loves conflict. She's getting worse. She's trespassed on our yard and has taken down our fence despite us warning to stay off property, she's threatened my brother and my son for playing outside. Accusing them of hitting her vehicle which is parked on the road. Cop said it's public property that the kids had that right. They stay away from her vehicke. When she's on her meds she either locks herself in her house for a couple of weeks or she's nice. When she's off her meds she'll go into a manic drive at first trying to take on big housing projects to eventually losing interest in a couple of days and trying to start fights with the neighborhood.

She has quite the rap sheet as is. Lost custody of her kids. Stabbed her ex husband, her, her daughter and her bf ambushed my neighbor across the street. She relies on multiple men financially.

Ugh! Sorry had to rant.
Cops are no help. They can't do much unless she gets physically violent with us. My patience is wearing thin with her though. I'm trying to be a civil neighbor. Just don't know how long I can be anymore civil

justjess

Superstar
Can you call the mental health agency in your area and tell them you think she’s in crisis and have them check on her? They can evaluate her ad if necessary hospitalize.. but beware that could enrage her as well and there’s no guarantee she will be put in the hospital or kept long enough to stabilize her

Dalit

Star
She's just a lady who loves conflict. She's getting worse. She's trespassed on our yard and has taken down our fence despite us warning to stay off property, she's threatened my brother and my son for playing outside. Accusing them of hitting her vehicle which is parked on the road. Cop said it's public property that the kids had that right. They stay away from her vehicke. When she's on her meds she either locks herself in her house for a couple of weeks or she's nice. When she's off her meds she'll go into a manic drive at first trying to take on big housing projects to eventually losing interest in a couple of days and trying to start fights with the neighborhood.

She has quite the rap sheet as is. Lost custody of her kids. Stabbed her ex husband, her, her daughter and her bf ambushed my neighbor across the street. She relies on multiple men financially.

Ugh! Sorry had to rant.
Cops are no help. They can't do much unless she gets physically violent with us. My patience is wearing thin with her though. I'm trying to be a civil neighbor. Just don't know how long I can be anymore civil
Sorry you're going through this. It's so good that you care.

Maes17

Superstar
Sorry you're going through this. It's so good that you care.
I care enough to be civil/respectful in approach. But when things start escalating where she's threatening my
Wife, son, brothers. I can't put up with it. Right now we're at a leave and let be agreement, but she is known to hide in someone's yard and ambush them.

And @justjess , no she's received help numerous times and has been put on medication, sought therapy. It helped her at first. Now she's just at war with everyone it seems.

I don't know when she'll break down. She just lost her vehicle(repossessed).

We tried talking to her today to get insurance info cause her bf hit our parked car last weekend and just took off. Happened when we were outside doing yard work.

But she's been aggressive. I feel there's really no help from my stand point. I'm honestly close to being pretty nasty in demeanor myself. But staying composed. Staying composed
:p

Maes17

Superstar
All that I'm putting up with at the moment.

I do think therapist are trained to identify certain traits and do their best to help. We're all individuals though, sometimes people are just the way they are

Dalit

Star
I care enough to be civil/respectful in approach. But when things start escalating where she's threatening my
Wife, son, brothers. I can't put up with it. Right now we're at a leave and let be agreement, but she is known to hide in someone's yard and ambush them.

And @justjess , no she's received help numerous times and has been put on medication, sought therapy. It helped her at first. Now she's just at war with everyone it seems.

We tried talking to her today to get insurance info cause her bf hit our parked car last weekend and just took off. Happened when we were outside doing yard work.

But she's been aggressive. I feel there's really no help from my stand point. I'm honestly close to being pretty nasty in demeanor myself. But staying composed. Staying composed
Wow! Yeah, that's crazy. Hope your car is okay. And your family, of course. Sounds like you're doing all you can to be civil and she's on a collision course. Is there a neighborhood association or anything like that for your support? Surely other neighbors have noticed this behavior, too.

justjess

Superstar

If she’s not well just stay your distance, as inconvenient as that may be it’s for the best. Just get out of her way.

My guess is she’s off her meds or the meds aren’t the correct meds. Most of these meds can be given as a monthly injection which reduces noncompliance and improves outcomes but the person needs to consent to that and getting consent can be difficult.. there’s a lot of resistance, bipolar people tend to like how they feel when manic and resent the boringness of stability when they are on the meds. I’ve gone through this a million times with my own dad and husband. It’s frustrating.

If she’s becoming aggressive/violent then she is probably manic. Acutely manic. The best way to treat that is with inpatient hospitalization and injected medication until stabilized. Every state and locality has different mental health services though.. but pretty much all have a mobile crisis which can evaluate and force treatment - bipolar people are good at masking symptoms when authorities are around though, and if you aren’t willing to get hat involved I don’t blame you. It’s incredibly difficult.