The World's First Genderless Baby

Mark C

Rookie
"Since Searyl is a baby, they can't yet identify their true gender. "

Supposing this baby is a girl, this should read: "... she can't yet identify her true gender."

Using the plural they and their confuses the reader. Never mind the fact that it's a grammatical nightmare. But the whole thing is absurd, really. What percentage of the population does this represent, I wonder? Not counting the children that have been inappropriately indoctrinated, of course. -.-

Well the correct gender neutral term would be "it", but that's not going to suit the PR narrative.

mecca

Superstar
We have to redefine the entire English grammatical framework to accommodate this new gender pronoun phenomenon
No we don't, it is grammatically correct to say they when referring to a singular person... especially a person who's gender you don't know.
"They" has been used as a singular pronoun since the 1300s, just look it up.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/grammar/using-they-and-them-in-the-singular
Language is used to communicate and people should be able to use it to easily get across any information they want to tell people. People use they as singular because it is an effective way to refer to someone of an unknown gender.

Last edited:

Haich

Superstar
No we don't, it is grammatically correct to say they when referring to a singular person... especially a person who's gender you don't know.
"They" has been used as a singular pronoun since the 1300s, just look it up.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/grammar/using-they-and-them-in-the-singular
Language is used to communicate and people should be able to use it to easily get across any information they want to tell people. People use they as singular because it is an effective way to refer to someone of an unknown gender.
'They' is used in specific contexts; a job application where a name used by both sexes is shortlisted, you'd refer to the individual as 'they'. Names such as Jessie, Jamie or Alex are all examples of times when it'd be appropriate to use 'they' to refer to an unknown gender

The individuals hijacking this term are trying to redefine the usage of it by appropriating it in contextual circumstances which don't adhere to the original usuage of the word.

How can you call someone who is clearly a male/female 'they'?

Pronoun sensitivity is ridiculous

mecca

Superstar
The individuals hijacking this term
I don't think it's that big of a deal. If they would rather not be referred to as he or she, then that's their thing. Using the word they in this way isn't wrong and it doesn't really matter, I don't think they're hijacking it.

Haich

Superstar
I don't think it's that big of a deal. If they would rather not be referred to as he or she, then that's their thing. Using the word they in this way isn't wrong and it doesn't really matter, I don't think they're hijacking it.
I think it's an attempt to confuse and just mess up societal norms.

Some norms just shouldn't be changed.

It does matter when people have to tread on egg shells, there's more pressing matters and the pronoun narrative is being pushed everywhere

Etagloc

Superstar
Look, if some of you want to totally restructure language for political reasons..... restructure your language. You don't have any business or any right to impose your values on others. The liberals now have no respect for other peoples' rights or freedom.

Etagloc

Superstar
Assimilate to these artificial and imposed values or lose your job!

mecca

Superstar
It does matter when people have to tread on egg shells
Who has to tread on eggshells though? I don't, cause everyone I meet is either referred to as he or she but if I met someone who goes by they, I wouldn't care/mind it.

Haich

Superstar
Who has to tread on eggshells though? I don't, cause everyone I meet is either referred to as he or she but if I met someone who goes by they, I wouldn't care/mind it.
The vast majority of people have to tread on eggshells and pretty soon we'll see laws worldwide deeming it discriminatory to refer to individuals as gender pronouns that disagree with their gender identity

I have to refer to a girl I teach as Matt because she's having an identity crisis and believes she's trans. She's called Matilda, do you know how annoying it is and demoralising to be told by senior teachers to refer to a 16 year old girl as a boy when I can clearly see and know she's a girl?

I could face disciplinary action if 'Matt' decides to report me or another member of staff for using the wrong pronoun.

Haich

Superstar
This is why I'm personally quite vocal about all this gender and trans business because I've only started to see it through students in the last few years. I haven't even been teaching long, probably 4 years now and I've seen such an increase of people coming out as trans or gender neutral.

I just don't see why everyone has to accept this narrative I feel it's forced upon me and I don't agree with it especially with regards to kids.

mecca

Superstar
how do you know someone is He,She or They -by what criteria ?
You assume by appearance if someone is a he or a she and a person will tell you if they want to be called they... Most people don't want to be called they so nothing has really changed with the whole pronoun thing.

In any case, if you call someone the wrong pronoun, they would just correct you and move on.

I have to refer to a girl I teach as Matt because she's having an identity crisis and believes she's trans. She's called Matilda, do you know how annoying it is and demoralising to be told by senior teachers to refer to a 16 year old girl as a boy when I can clearly see and know she's a girl?
Thanks for not being rude about it. I'm sure this student does appreciate the respect you have shown by using their preferred name even though you don't agree with transgenderism. It's unfortunate that not all teachers are as considerate and understanding.

Haich

Superstar
Thanks for not being rude about it. I'm sure this student does appreciate the respect you have shown by using their preferred name even though you don't agree with transgenderism. It's unfortunate that not all teachers are as considerate and understanding.
Well here, you can get into serious trouble for causing the slightest distress to a student. I definitely don't agree with kids and transgenderism as I don't believe they've lived enough of their lives to come to such a final and absolute decision about their gender.

Many teachers are only doing as they're told to avoid conflict and the Brits are known to be incredibly patient with others. We're always apologising and going out of our way to accommodate others, it's the culture here and it echoes throughout the workplace whether it be a school or an office.