The world is becoming better, in a lot of ways

Thunderian

Superstar
I kind of thought that other thread was going to cover this topic, but it's something crazy that I don't understand at all.

Anyway, in so many ways, we who are alive today are living in the best age this world has ever seen. The majority of us live longer and better lives than anyone else in history has, with less work to be done, and more and more luxuries at our disposal. I'm not a rich man, but I am only a generation or two away from peasants who lived in dirt huts and were virtual slaves, and whose own previous generation would have viewed my car, accommodations, and electronics as insane luxury, if not witchcraft.

How are some ways our world today is a vast improvement on all the previous ages? Or even a few years ago?

For one thing, the global mortality rate for children under 5 has declined from 93.4 per 1,000 in 1990 to 40.8 in 2016. In America, the violent crime rate has dropped by roughly 75% since the early 1990's. Extreme poverty has fallen from 85% of the world's population 200 years ago, to about 12% today, and if that trend continues, extreme poverty will be virtually nonexistent in ten years. These are all good things, aren't they? Why don't we talk about them?

I mean, sure. In a lot of ways the world is becoming better. Even the poor live longer than they used to. Even in some places that aren't great.

But we shouldn't just sit down and be happy with a victory that doesn't entirely benefit the masses and we should still stand against oppression. The world isn't that bad - if you live in the developed world. But there's a lot more we have to do; no rest for the righteous.

Frank Badfinger

Superstar
'I'm Bored,' Says Kid With More Luxuries Than Even Royalty Possessed Just 100 Years Ago

May 7th, 2018

28.9kShares 22.4k Share 3k Share Share

FORT WAYNE, IN—According to sources close to local boy Michael Jacobs, the 8-year-old kid reported he was “bored” after school Monday, even though he was surrounded by more luxuries and abundant resources than even royalty had just 100 years ago.

“There’s nothing to do,” he said, his eyes glazing over as he stared at a mountain of electronics, games, and entertainment devices specifically designed to ensure he stayed engaged at all times.

Jacobs also reportedly pointed out that there was nothing to watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and YouTube, even though kings and queens of ages past who felt lucky to go to a playhouse from time to time would have been flabbergasted at the sheer number of entertainment options available to him. The boy browsed through the catalogs of various streaming services on one of the family’s eighteen streaming devices before declaring every single show that catered to his exact demographic was “lame.”

Sources claim Jacobs’ parents then suggested he play one of the hundreds of video games he had accumulated over the years, but the youth reportedly replied that he would need to acquire a new game if he was to remain entertained for more than a few minutes.

“Those games were exciting when I first got them, but now they’re just boring. Uggggh, there’s nothing fun around here,” he told them, according to witnesses.

At publishing time, Jacobs had wandered over to the cupboard and stared miserably at a larger quantity and variety of foodstuffs than princes of past centuries ever could have dreamed of, and declared there was “nothing to eat.”
https://babylonbee.com/news/im-bored-says-kid-with-more-luxuries-than-even-royalty-had-just-100-years-ago

Wigi

Veteran
I kind of thought that other thread was going to cover this topic, but it's something crazy that I don't understand at all.

Anyway, in so many ways, we who are alive today are living in the best age this world has ever seen. The majority of us live longer and better lives than anyone else in history has, with less work to be done, and more and more luxuries at our disposal. I'm not a rich man, but I am only a generation or two away from peasants who lived in dirt huts and were virtual slaves, and whose own previous generation would have viewed my car, accommodations, and electronics as insane luxury, if not witchcraft.

How are some ways our world today is a vast improvement on all the previous ages? Or even a few years ago?

For one thing, the global mortality rate for children under 5 has declined from 93.4 per 1,000 in 1990 to 40.8 in 2016. In America, the violent crime rate has dropped by roughly 75% since the early 1990's. Extreme poverty has fallen from 85% of the world's population 200 years ago, to about 12% today, and if that trend continues, extreme poverty will be virtually nonexistent in ten years. These are all good things, aren't they? Why don't we talk about them?
Do you really think that the world is a better place just because you may live longer than your ancestors probably ever had (according to mainstream studies) as long as you don't catch a disease nor die in an accident or a terrorist attack?

I don't like to entertain a dystopian view of things but If you add to the mix less and less democracy, lack of value and morals among the youth, new threats caused by AI and medical procreation, mass surveillance and facial recognition... I mean in some ways, the world today is becoming worser than an orwellian nightmare and it's literal hell for some places if you look at the weather or geopolitics.

I guess the world isn't that bad as long as you can look at it as a test and not something you can enjoy selfishly like there's no tomorrow.

I don't know. I really start to ask myself if we're even able to manage ourselves alone.

saintroserosalia

Established

Thunderian

Superstar
.....unless you live in Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria....shall I go on?

....but as long as you're ok eh?......for now anyway.
Things are improving for the world in general, not just for me. You have to have a mighty big stick up your ass to begrudge positive change for humankind. If the leaders of those places you mentioned wish their people as little goodwill as you seem to wish the people of the world, it’s no wonder those countries suck, as do you.

Thunderian

Superstar
I mean, sure. In a lot of ways the world is becoming better. Even the poor live longer than they used to. Even in some places that aren't great.

But we shouldn't just sit down and be happy with a victory that doesn't entirely benefit the masses and we should still stand against oppression. The world isn't that bad - if you live in the developed world. But there's a lot more we have to do; no rest for the righteous.
The entire world is becoming developed. That’s what everyone is missing. As technology covers the globe, disease, famine and poverty are literally being wiped out. That doesn’t mean that no one gets sick or goes hungry any longer, but that every year, less and less people do.

The real threat to humanity is war. But even then, we haven’t had a world war in a pretty long time, have we? :)

Always look on the bright side of life.

Awoken2

Superstar
Things are improving for the world in general,
Improving?....have you lost your mind?

You have to have a mighty big stick up your ass to begrudge positive change for humankind
And you have to have your head up your ass if you think worldwide civil unrest, devastating weaponized weather, political corruption, mass surveillance, 5G, staged events, media bullshit, increase in cancer, plummeting sperm counts, sick transgender agendas and manufactured terrorism is seen as "positive change"..... what type of f*cked up utopia do sickos like you dream about?

If the leaders of those places you mentioned wish their people as little goodwill as you seem to wish the people of the world, it
Zionism, explained in one stupid sentence. Thanks for the clarity.

it’s no wonder those countries suck, as do you.
Toddle off back to troll school, you ain't cutting it.

I'm not surprised you are feeling content. We have a narcissistic sociopath as the "leader of the free world" and your end times fairytale gets one step closer to reality.

Take it away boys....

Last edited:

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Improving?....have you lost your mind?

And you have to have your head up your ass if you think worldwide civil unrest, devastating weaponized weather, political corruption, mass surveillance, 5G, staged events, media bullshit, increase in cancer, plummeting sperm counts, sick transgender agendas and manufactured terrorism is seen as "positive change"..... what type of f*cked up utopia do sickos like you dream about?

Zionism, explained in one stupid sentence. Thanks for the clarity.

Toddle off back to troll school, you ain't cutting it.

I'm not surprised you are feeling content. We have a narcissistic sociopath as the "leader of the free world" and your end times fairytale gets one step closer to reality.

Take it away boys....

He's Canadian...... one would think his own nations political situations would be his first concern..... but he aint the first to attempt at living vicariously via a complete charlatan from an entirely different country.

Thunderian

Superstar
I truly do not think the world is becoming a better place. Mental health crisis is more alarming than it used to. Protests around the world happens more frequently precisely because people are being unhappy or angry.

https://time.com/5609124/us-suicide-rate-increase/.
https://www.atlasandboots.com/the-world-is-not-getting-better/
https://monthlyreview.org/2019/01/01/capitalism-and-mental-health/
https://www.redpepper.org.uk/a-mad-world-capitalism-and-the-rise-of-mental-illness/
I agree about there being a mental health crisis, but I’m not sure the cause is capitalism.

Something we can all do to help with our own and other’s mental health is not spreading negativity. I know it sounds trite, but just look at this thread. There are verifiable data that prove that a lot of things on the earth are getting better for a lot of people, but some people don’t want to talk about that. For some reason, they want to focus on the negative things that are still happening. That’ll make you nuts, if you let it take over your life. I’m a little nuts, myself, but it gets a lot worse when I dwell on the negative. :)

Thunderian

Superstar
So as long as things are getting worse for you, everything sucks?

Even though things are improving globally, you accused me of thinking that things were just fine with the world because they were just fine where I live. Then you go and list a bunch of first world problems to illustrate how bad things really are. You made me laugh out loud.

It always amazes me to come here and see people like you quoting the exact lines and promoting the exact worldview that the elite want us to believe. They want us to believe everything is terrible because they want us to be afraid.

I’m not saying everything is wonderful, but the fact is that things are improving all the time. Why would you rather we all be afraid?

Wigi

Veteran
It always amazes me to come here and see people like you quoting the exact lines and promoting the exact worldview that the elite want us to believe. They want us to believe everything is terrible because they want us to be afraid.
I will start to think that the world is becoming a better place if technologies and AI becomes an effective mean to make our rulers lives miserable and when our physical/mental health won't be predetermined by our wealth anymore. Thank God our spiritual health doesn't depend on corporations.

Lisa

Superstar
I think there are good and bad in the world but it does seem that the world is getting worse morally speaking while getting better technology wise.

Yes we all can live longer lives due to drugs that increase our years otherwise we would die sooner due to obesity, diabetes, heart disease etc...

We can communicate with anyone anywhere in the world for a fraction of the cost and for our own personal use as opposed to having to pay an arm and a leg for long distance phone calls and be hooked to a cord on a wall. We are also so hooked on our phones that we forget to be present in daily life..yes I can talk to my relative in Alaska but I ignore my loved one right in front of me. I feel bad for the kids growing up now who are in daycare all day to be picked up by parents who are on their phones instead of interacting with their kids.

It’s awesome that we can gain knowledge on the internet seeing the news from any place I desire and I can join a forum and talk to peoples from all over the world the downside is what kind of knowledge am I getting and what kind of people are at the other end of that screen?

We can see that there is an agenda going on trying to change the times and laws with new things, better things like homosexuality and the agenda that comes with including many different ideas....bringing the world down to a depraved kind of morality and calling it normal. Educating children so that they will grow up and being accepting to the agenda. Education in general seems to have an agenda that seems to be making victims of most while vilifying others. That doesn’t seem to be going away but progressing.

Then there’s the saving the planet and all sorts of different lies and schemes to get people under some kind of control for the betterment of the environment. How about how there are too many people on the planet now and people believing in population control and migration of diverse peoples.

We celebrate abortion all over the world while woman believe the lie that their babies are just a blob of cells and it doesn’t matter if you abort. We don’t talk about how that affects the mom to end a life but celebrate it as a great choice to a bad problem.

We can travel here and there in all sorts of ways and technology is a great tool for that with gps for wherever you are. You don’t have to live in the same town you grew up in and can travel anywhere you want which is intoxicating in its own way. The increase in technology in any sector is off the charts and continues to increase which is amazing in itself. We have more free time than anyone else before us and we are so miserable with that free time. We can’t get enough of it. Where most people lived to work in the ages before us we are concerned with work/life balance...o to have it so easy!

Yep, definitely some good and definitely an increase in bad.

Last edited:

SkepticCat

Veteran
These are all good things, aren't they? Why don't we talk about them?
With this thread we are now talking about them. :) I concur, there are many positive developments and it's good to talk about them [also].

"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good."

I think we have some important work to do in daring to talk about issues that most choose to ignore because subjects like the p-phile mafia controllers are certainly too serious to ignore… yet, surely the capacity for appreciating the many things that are to be appreciated is a truly valuable skill of mind. We live in interesting times, that's for certain. Globalization with the internet and the rapid spreading of news and information means we get to see more of the extremes - positive, and negative.

I think this is a very valuable thread with an important reminder that I for one am thankful for - thumbs up! :)

Figure-110.png

marshall-berman-quote-lbk6p4t.jpg

imagesJZJOCBHQ.jpg

16de61ed899ca02ba2216137c18a2c43--life-inspirational-quotes-inspiring-quotes.jpg

A-Challenge-to-Build-Others-Up.jpg

One problem with the 'New Age' movement often cited is they refuse to talk about the negatives... but that allows for the negatives to continue unimpeded. The balance appears to be knowing the negative is there so we can call it out, without dwelling on it so as to become overwhelmed by it. It's about assertive, effective action. In the face of some of the extreme evils we talk about here perhaps it's sensible to engage the issues from the angle of how much better things can be when the issues are dealt with.

Dalit

Star
The entire world is becoming developed. That’s what everyone is missing. As technology covers the globe, disease, famine and poverty are literally being wiped out. That doesn’t mean that no one gets sick or goes hungry any longer, but that every year, less and less people do.

The real threat to humanity is war. But even then, we haven’t had a world war in a pretty long time, have we? :)

Always look on the bright side of life.
Thank you for the spot of positivity.

I waffle between checking in here and wanting to run screaming from the room. I do see the negative or realism of the world gone to hell and a bucket (something an old friend used to say, a real Southern gentleman), but sometimes focusing on that constantly is a surefire path to anxiety and depression. I've been so upset that my digestion has been affected. I struggle to eat enough when I used to eat way too much. It's all too overwhelming at times. Too much stress/adrenal response or whatnot.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm thankful to be alive even during this incredibly dark period of history, too. Better here than 6 feet under, right? :)