The world is becoming better, in a lot of ways

JustAMan

Rookie
Thank you for your positive and uplifting post that focuses attention on your insight on how life has improved in general for us all in society! I read the news daily from several different and varied sources, and sometimes I feel as if I’m reading made up horror stories from the negative and disturbing content in a majority of the articles. News on the tv, internet, and radio always seem to draw attention to only the negative events that are happening in the world. I do feel it’s my responsibility to keep informed of what’s going on in this day and age by reading/watching the news, but negative incidents that are talked about, reported, and drawn attention to are overwhelmingly saddening and quite depressing. I think digesting all of this negative information by watching/reading the upsetting news collectively builds up and affects me. The world HAS gotten immensely better overall in numerous ways, and honestly, I am grateful to be alive in this day and age where it is more acceptable than ever to be openly LGBT! I am delighted and so happy about Ellen DeGeneres changing society by “coming out” publicly as being a lesbian, for example. She was so brave and risked losing her SO much for making the decision to be 100% authentic, including her career. I am an openly pansexual woman, and truly believe that every human being should have the right to enjoy the freedom to love and have intimate relationships with whomever they choose! Ellen DeGeneres was one of the first famous people to open the door for other “closeted” LGBT people who were essentially living a lie to find the bravery inside themselves to be true to who they really are, and (IF they choose to), just say “Yes, I’m gay, trans, bisexual, etc..So what)? I truly believe and support the belief that every human being on this planet should not have to worry about being judged, degraded, shamed, murdered, harassed, etc. by self-righteous “religious,” uppity, “holier than thou” heterosexual people who think they have the right to judge and look down on others who do not share the same “sexual preference” as they do! What goes on behind closed doors when two people choose to be intimate sexually is absolutely no one else’s business but theirs! As long as their encounter is consensual, then what they do should be no one else’s business or concern. We only live once, and I support many personal freedoms for all people regardless of ethnicity or gender. As long as people aren’t getting hurt for no reason, then all is cool in my opinion! I’m a woman, and am very very grateful to the brave, strong, and revolutionary Feminists in the 1960’s for fighting for the rights and freedoms I enjoy now in the year 2020 as a pansexual woman! I cannot realistically imagine what my experience of life would be for me in this day and age if the brave Feminists did not get fed up with being treated as second class citizens by the patriarchy, and start the women’s liberation revolution movement!! I, as a woman, am no longer LIMITED to being a homemaker, or an unpaid stay at home mother! I can choose any career path I desire, have a child (OR NOT, haha!), get married, be a single mother if I wish to, etc. etc! Us women used to be PROPERTY, were not “allowed” to vote, etc!! What a nightmarish thought that is for me! I am incredibly grateful to live in a Western culture in which society “allows” us women the freedoms we all enjoy today. (Using the word “allows” in this case feels very uncomfortable..) I honestly can’t believe that us women weren’t treated as equals from the very beginning of time. The American saying “all MEN are created EQUAL” is 100% bullshit!! I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the current president of my country (the USA), Mr. Donald J. Trump. I used to like to think that we as a country were a forward-thinking nation, and ridiculous and unnecessary limitations that have been placed on minorities, LGBT people, and women from the beginning of time would be destroyed and replaced with us all being able to enjoy equal personal freedoms (as Caucasian males get to do just for being born a white man in this society) as life on this planet progressed over time. The hideous and ugly reality that Trump is a misogynistic, racist, egotistical, ignorant, arrogant, cocky, uncultured, spoiled being and is the main representative of my country truly horrifies me. If all of us minorities, women, LGBT, etc. people (and our fabulous and supportive comrades) got together and worked to overcome the damage this backward-thinking, closed minded, and disgustingly sexist, racist (and homophobic) president stands for, I believe we could all succeed in keeping the world moving forward in a positive, progressive, and peaceful direction! Let’s keep it up and stay focused to stay strong in the “era of Trump;” Remember my friends: YOUR PERSONAL FREEDOM IS EVERYTHING!!!!
Do you believe in grammar and paragraphs or are these just Western patriarchal constructions? Just a side note one of Germaine Greer's great contribution to 2nd wave Feminism was the identification that capitalism and its promise of liberation via empowered labor was something to be looked at with suspicion.

Capitalism promised that "women could have it all". Ask a lot of "successful" women today and the answer is quite different - Once you get to a certain level of success, there has to be a choice - family or career (successful men will tell you the same thing).

p.s . Don't mention the "war".

Last edited: