The VC “Case For Christ” Thread

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
In response to many of the questions of the truthfulness of the evidence for a New Testament Jesus who came to earth, was born of a virgin, performed miracles, died on the Cross, rose from the tomb and ascended to heaven.

I am opening up this thread for those interested in defending (or attacking) the Gospel account.

I am starting with the assumption that people in this thread may have read the book "A Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel - If not, it looks like you would be able to gain some understanding of the startling claims made in the book by watching the forthcoming film.

For those who believe, it is a recommended read, for those who don't, what have you got to be afraid of?

Let's make the Case for Christ!

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Or against?

Jesus is revered by Muslims worldwide just so you know and you would be amazed by the awe we feel concerning the honor and privilege God Gave him.

"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone." (Mark 10: 18)

So, why?
Hi,

I think I mentioned this one to Yahda - you can read it either way, I guess...

Have you ever read a text message from someone you don't know all that well and misunderstood their point?

To me, Jesus prompts the rich young ruler to consider His actions against what represents goodness. He leaves it open to the young man to join the dots, recognise his Deity, or not...

Lisa

Superstar
Or against?

Jesus is revered by Muslims worldwide just so you know and you would be amazed by the awe we feel concerning the honor and privilege God Gave him.

"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone." (Mark 10: 18)

So, why?
Exactly, if no one is good but God alone...why would they call Him good?

Lisa

Superstar
I did read his book, years ago...what really got me was when he talked about Jesus' death and how truly cruel it was. I also liked how he was a reporter looking for facts to disprove the account and wound up believing. But, I don't really remember much more about the book.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I did read his book, years ago...what really got me was when he talked about Jesus' death and how truly cruel it was. I also liked how he was a reporter looking for facts to disprove the account and wound up believing. But, I don't really remember much more about the book.
I have read "The Case for Christ" and also "Cold Case Christianity" recently - I didn't realise how strong that case actually was!

From being a small child, I can remember saying "Christ had died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again"

Three short phrases. Massive implications.

Lisa

Superstar
I have read "The Case for Christ" and also "Cold Case Christianity" recently - I didn't realise how strong that case actually was!

From being a small child, I can remember saying "Christ had died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again"

Three short phrases. Massive implications.
Who wrote cold case Christianity?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Who wrote cold case Christianity?
J Wallace Warner - according to the intro

"Written by an L. A. County homicide detective and former atheist, Cold-Case Christianity examines the claims of the New Testament using the skills and strategies of a hard-to-convince criminal investigator.

Christianity could be defined as a “cold case”: it makes a claim about an event from the distant past for which there is little forensic evidence. In Cold-Case Christianity, J. Warner Wallace uses his nationally recognized skills as a homicide detective to look at the evidence and eyewitnesses behind Christian beliefs. Including gripping stories from his career and the visual techniques he developed in the courtroom, Wallace uses illustration to examine the powerful evidence that validates the claims of Christianity."

It's a very intelligent book - well worth a read!

Lisa

Superstar
J Wallace Warner - according to the intro

"Written by an L. A. County homicide detective and former atheist, Cold-Case Christianity examines the claims of the New Testament using the skills and strategies of a hard-to-convince criminal investigator.

Christianity could be defined as a “cold case”: it makes a claim about an event from the distant past for which there is little forensic evidence. In Cold-Case Christianity, J. Warner Wallace uses his nationally recognized skills as a homicide detective to look at the evidence and eyewitnesses behind Christian beliefs. Including gripping stories from his career and the visual techniques he developed in the courtroom, Wallace uses illustration to examine the powerful evidence that validates the claims of Christianity."

It's a very intelligent book - well worth a read!
I may give it a shot...sounds interesting..thanks!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I may give it a shot...sounds interesting..thanks!
I love reading - I think I must have read over a hundred books over the last couple of years... I spent far too long as a lukewarm Christian, plugged into 'The Matrix', beer in hand and in front of a TV! Ever since, I have been making up for lost time!!!!

Lisa

Superstar
I love reading - I think I must have read over a hundred books over the last couple of years... I spent far too long as a lukewarm Christian, plugged into 'The Matrix', beer in hand and in front of a TV! Ever since, I have been making up for lost time!!!!
Nice! But be careful about what you read and check whatever you read with the Bible, like the Bereans :)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Nice! But be careful about what you read and check whatever you read with the Bible, like the Bereans :)
Btw - depending on how you take in information, I would recommend 'The Word of Promise' NKJV on audio, I think listening to the Bible helps you understand the big picture even better...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
What views? Or just in general?
Wow - big question! I think I have three 'trays' in my imagination when considering questions. Definitely true, definitely false and 'under review'... When I first believed most stuff was in the third tray, and it still has plenty in it, just new things (if that makes sense?)

Lisa

Superstar
Btw - depending on how you take in information, I would recommend 'The Word of Promise' NKJV on audio, I think listening to the Bible helps you understand the big picture even better...
I already have the Bible on audio. It has Denzel Washington in it, it was sold at the Family Christian Bookstores a loooonnnngggg time ago, well, haha, I bought it a loooonnnnggg time ago anyway. :)

Lisa

Superstar
Wow - big question! I think I have three 'trays' in my imagination when considering questions. Definitely true, definitely false and 'under review'... When I first believed most stuff was in the third tray, and it still has plenty in it, just new things (if that makes sense?)
Yes it does make sense, I was just wondering what some of those things are...haha.