The US TV Show: Otherworld

peridot

Established
Did anyone here ever see the US TV show called "Otherworld?"
First episode:

According to the Youtube channel, it aired in 1985.on CBS.

I was young when I saw it, but thought it was really interesting but weird.
Plus because it was only on TV for a short time, every time I'd try to tell someone else about it,
people would always mistake it for another TV show.

After the internet and Youtube became the way to find weird old stuff someone else besides you could still remember,
I got to re-see the 8 episodes that aired on TV. It was a LOT weirder than I thought, and but this time I recognized
obelisks, pyramids, utopian dystopias with controling governments, and other symbology this site talks about a lot.
Any thoughts?

peridot

Established
Did you see both V's (the 1980s version and the 2000-something version)?
I saw parts of both, but enough to to question any aliens bearing "gifts."
What did you think?

polymoog

Superstar
Did you see both V's (the 1980s version and the 2000-something version)?
I saw parts of both, but enough to to question any aliens bearing "gifts."
What did you think?
i only saw the 80s one in the 80s... i know the 80s one at least was reeking of symbolism. reptilian, human-eating aliens? and that was 83 (i think), far before it was conspiracy du jour by icke and friends.

i ought to rewatch it.

free2018

Star
Interesting.
Reptilian theory goes back to the 40's:
"In the 1940s, a non-fiction writer, Maurice Doreal, wrote a pamphlet entitled "Mysteries of the Gobi" which described a "serpent race" that had "bodies like man but...heads...like a great snake" and an ability to take true human form.[11] These creatures also appeared in Doreal's poem, "The Emerald Tablets", in which he claimed the titular tablets were written by "Thoth, an Atlantean Priest king". Barkun asserts that "in all likelihood", Doreal's ideas came from "The Shadow Kingdom", and that in turn, "The Emerald Tablets" formed the basis for David Icke's book, Children of the Matrix.[12]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilians

Last edited:

peridot

Established
i only saw the 80s one in the 80s... i know the 80s one at least was reeking of symbolism. reptilian, human-eating aliens? and that was 83 (i think), far before it was conspiracy du jour by icke and friends.

i ought to rewatch it.
I finally motivated myself to find this series and re-watch this. Did you know there were three separate "series" were spawned at this time? There was the original show (kind of made for tv movie), then a short min-series, then a full series based on the same events. And THEN the 2000's version emerged about 20 years later.

peridot

Established
While watching it, it reminded me of a snippet of men in black 2, where Tommy Lee Jones is trying to jog his memories about a former job. He and Will Smith commandeer an old VHS video of the corniest, grainy-est, least convincing "aliens revealed!" documentary show ever. But it resurrects Tommy's actual memory of the event as his brain fills in and corrects the details.

peridot

Established
Speaking of which, there were a LOT of alien based shows in the 80s...

V, Alien, Aliens, Alienation. all of Whitley Strieber's stuff, etc.

polymoog

Superstar
I finally motivated myself to find this series and re-watch this. Did you know there were three separate "series" were spawned at this time? There was the original show (kind of made for tv movie), then a short min-series, then a full series based on the same events. And THEN the 2000's version emerged about 20 years later.
i saw all of them. V, v the final battle, and the other one.
i did rewatch V from 1983 about 3 years ago and enjoyed it. i still havent seen the remake but probably never will. newer remakes are usually a shadow of what the original was.

as far as MIB or MIB 2 is concerned, i never saw either. i loathe will smith then and now. plus, the original movie had a preview showing some stupid cartoonish alien or CGI crap that turned me off immediately. it was like that childish, patronizing cartoon crap in who framed roger rabbit? or jarjar binks CGI in that star wars prequel.

peridot

Established
as far as MIB or MIB 2 is concerned, i never saw either. i loathe will smith then and now. plus, the original movie had a preview showing some stupid cartoonish alien or CGI crap that turned me off immediately. it was like that childish, patronizing cartoon crap in who framed roger rabbit? or jarjar binks CGI in that star wars prequel.
HAHAHA.
I liked the movies, but I still agree with you.
It IS cartoonish; that's the whole point. It's supposed to be over the top silliness.

But what better way to sneak stuff in? Make it in a format NO ONE would take seriously = hide in plain sight.
As silly as it truly is, it does expose some mind sets that we discuss on this site regularly.
These are some of paraphrased quotes:
1) Most people in the world don't want to know what's really going on. They just want to live their lives. If we showed them what was really out there, civilization would fail completely.
How many times have you heard that in the real world? How true is it really? How many times has that been used as an excuse to continue doing scandalous stuff?

2) The "hot" sheets were Enquirer style magazines that revealed where to go to find alien threats.
Besides being hilarious, that is exactly what mainstream thinks of conspiracy sites.
A few years after I saw this movie, I heard a "conspiracy" type person say he often did use unconventional if not down right suspect news sources to release information no other reputable source would consider. One guy said that was the reason he wrote his information as "fiction;" was because no healthy minded person would believe some of the atrocities he claimed he had witnessed.

3) The ongoing video surveillance of of aliens, that included Silvester Stallone, Michael Jackson, and a random weird looking lady that turned out to be Will Smith's 3rd grade teacher.
Talk about over the top!!
Except over the years even the mainstream news has leaked little bits and pieces of the utter depravity that does exist in the lives of many celebrities and politicians. They may not be aliens, but something is radically disturbed about many of these people.

Again, like or hate the movie: that's your choice...
while you remember that propogandists have proudly proclaimed that they use humor and buffoonery to convince the masses that what they depict would NEVER really happen
(as they are literally in the middle of do it ).