The Unexpected Ascencion of the Satanic Temple of the USA

Non-thiestic Satanism is just either edgy liberalism (in the case of the Temple of Satan) or edgy Randian-libertarianism (in the case of the Church of Satan). In the cases of both, most are atheists.

Lisa

Superstar
@Mr.Anderson No habla..or read the...espanol. Could you give us poor English only people the gist of it in English?

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
No habla..or read the...espanol. Could you give us poor English only people the gist of it in English?
Sorry, I couldn't find it in english... just in portuguese and Spanish. The bang of the first article is the temple getting tax incentives, the second article provided by Colonel is very good too since it's na interview with the guy Lucy himself

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
They don’t.
The way it appears to work is that “Satan” becomes a metaphor for rebellion against a “non-existent” God, and “Lucifer” becomes an image of the scientific enlightenment. Under these terms, Richard Dawkins perhaps becomes a high priest of ironic Satanism.

In the end of “Heart of Darkness” by Joseph Conrad, the book ends with the words “the horror”. For those who embrace a Satan they don’t believe in at present, eternity might open with those same words.

Scars512

Established
If they don't worship Satan, why bother having a "temple" or a "church"? Is it merely for the purposes of tax sheltering? I don't have a problem with atheism -- people are free to believe or not believe -- but it just seems rather juvenile that people choose "satanism" as some kind of rebellion against religion. Atheism generally replaces the worship of God with the worship of science. Since Satan is a mythical figure rooted in the same superstition they accuse religious folks of falling victim to, it makes zero sense that they would merely choose to mimic religion and to fake worship the "bad guy". Only a very immature person would be drawn to something like that. I can see a bunch of angst ridden teens being infatuated with such a concept -- but it worries me that grown adults would flock to it. I have zero respect for these kinds of "atheists". I admit that I waver between faith and agnosticism -- so I don't think atheists are horrible people. I think they are generally just people who can't accept a concept without proof. I can respect that. The kinds of atheists, though, who would go out of their way to mock someone else's faith or devote time and energy to a fake religion in general just aren't people I would want to be around. Rebelling for the sake of rebellion or to be "edgy" to prove that you are not like everyone else smells of desperation, not free-thinking.

Nick Danger

Rookie
Okay, so here's the skinny. I was wrong but close. Aquino's version IS theistic, however they don't "worship" Satan, they revere and admire him. They do believe he is a deity however.

From Wikipedia:
The Temple of Set is an occult initiatory order founded in 1975. A new religious movement and form of Western esotericism, the Temple espouses a religion known as Setianism, whose practitioners are called Setians. This is sometimes identified as a form of Satanism, although this term is not often embraced by Setians and is contested by some academics.

The Temple was established in the United States in 1975 by Michael Aquino, an American political scientist, military officer, and a high-ranking member of Anton LaVey's Church of Satan. Dissatisfied with the direction in which LaVey was taking the Church, Aquino resigned and – according to his own claim – embarked on a ritual to invoke Satan, who revealed to him a sacred text called The Book of Coming Forth by Night. According to Aquino, in this work Satan revealed his true name to be that of the deity Set, which had been the name used by his followers in ancient Egypt. Aquino was joined in establishing the Temple by a number of other dissatisfied members of LaVey's Church, and soon various Setian groups were established across the United States.

Setians believe that Set is the one real god and that he has aided humanity by giving them a questioning intellect, the "Black Flame", which distinguishes them from other animal species. Set is held in high esteem as a teacher whose example is to be emulated but he is not worshipped as a deity. Highly individualistic in basis, the Temple promotes the idea that practitioners should seek self-deification and thus attain an immortality of consciousness.Setians believe in the existence of magic as a force which can be manipulated through ritual, however the nature of these rituals is not prescribed by the Temple. Specifically, Aquino described Setian practices as "black magic", a term which he defines idiosyncratically.

Scars512

Established
Okay, so here's the skinny. I was wrong but close. Aquino's version IS theistic, however they don't "worship" Satan, they revere and admire him. They do believe he is a deity however.

From Wikipedia:
The Temple of Set is an occult initiatory order founded in 1975. A new religious movement and form of Western esotericism, the Temple espouses a religion known as Setianism, whose practitioners are called Setians. This is sometimes identified as a form of Satanism, although this term is not often embraced by Setians and is contested by some academics.

The Temple was established in the United States in 1975 by Michael Aquino, an American political scientist, military officer, and a high-ranking member of Anton LaVey's Church of Satan. Dissatisfied with the direction in which LaVey was taking the Church, Aquino resigned and – according to his own claim – embarked on a ritual to invoke Satan, who revealed to him a sacred text called The Book of Coming Forth by Night. According to Aquino, in this work Satan revealed his true name to be that of the deity Set, which had been the name used by his followers in ancient Egypt. Aquino was joined in establishing the Temple by a number of other dissatisfied members of LaVey's Church, and soon various Setian groups were established across the United States.

Setians believe that Set is the one real god and that he has aided humanity by giving them a questioning intellect, the "Black Flame", which distinguishes them from other animal species. Set is held in high esteem as a teacher whose example is to be emulated but he is not worshipped as a deity. Highly individualistic in basis, the Temple promotes the idea that practitioners should seek self-deification and thus attain an immortality of consciousness.Setians believe in the existence of magic as a force which can be manipulated through ritual, however the nature of these rituals is not prescribed by the Temple. Specifically, Aquino described Setian practices as "black magic", a term which he defines idiosyncratically.
Aquino was the one implicated in the Presario daycare child abuse scandal. He was accused of satanic ritualistic abuse of kids. Most dismiss it as part of the "satanic panic" wave in the US, but there has been plenty of evidence that these things really happened and weren't just the product of the overactive imagination and paranoia of parents. I think ordinary people find the idea of people actually worshipping Satan and performing occult rituals so bizarre that they simply cannot believe it is true and not just a the plot of a Hollywood movie. Maybe that is why Hollywood and network TV shows so much of this kind of occult/satanic stuff. They want people to believe that those making the allegations are merely conflating fantasy with reality.

DevaWolf

Veteran
If they don't worship Satan, why bother having a "temple" or a "church"? .
Their point of having a church is that they believe the liberty to worship a fictional being (God or Satan equal) deserves the same treatment under the law. Which is their right. There is no logical reason a church has more right to religious freedoms than a Satanic temple.

Scars512

Established
Their point of having a church is that they believe the liberty to worship a fictional being (God or Satan equal) deserves the same treatment under the law. Which is their right. There is no logical reason a church has more right to religious freedoms than a Satanic temple.
I didn't say they didn't have a right to do it -- I just don't see the point. Other than to just be a$$holes mocking someone else's faith, why go to the trouble of having a FAKE religion? Couldn't you just have a social club that meets and discusses shared interests? If they are doing it simply for the tax write off -- well, I can see that, I guess. Greed is a powerful motivation -- and there are plenty of televangelists who have "ministries" simply to make a buck. But, just because people have reached adulthood doesn't necessarily mean that they have reached maturity. Some people never do. If this fulfills some juvenile need for rebellion, then I guess it serves a purpose. As long as they aren't doing any animal sacrifices or hurting others -- they should be allowed to "do what thou wilt", I suppose. Doesn't mean I have to approve of it. I just don't have the right to prevent them from doing it.

Nick Danger

Rookie
Aquino was the one implicated in the Presario daycare child abuse scandal. He was accused of satanic ritualistic abuse of kids. Most dismiss it as part of the "satanic panic" wave in the US, but there has been plenty of evidence that these things really happened and weren't just the product of the overactive imagination and paranoia of parents. I think ordinary people find the idea of people actually worshipping Satan and performing occult rituals so bizarre that they simply cannot believe it is true and not just a the plot of a Hollywood movie. Maybe that is why Hollywood and network TV shows so much of this kind of occult/satanic stuff. They want people to believe that those making the allegations are merely conflating fantasy with reality.
Yes. Also, Cathy O'brien, in her book Trance: Formation of America, claimed that when Aquino was her handler (she had several handlers) that he carved the face of a demon in her vagina (I believe with an exacto knife). Of course my first thoughts on this book were that this and several other allegations are bogus, however if you do a search on the internet you can find the video in which she and her husband Mark Phillips go into a hospital with a camera crew. She puts her legs in stirrups, they zoom in with the camera and sure enough there is a nasty looking demon face in the scar tissue. It almost looks sort of like a witch with big crooked nose.

saki

Star
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7566373/U-S-Naval-Academy-blocks-Satan-Temple-having-satanic-religious-services-school.html?ito=social-facebook

Navy bans Satanists from holding 'satanic services' at the US Naval Academy after the group announced they were planning weekly meetings
  • An email sent to U.S. Naval Academy midshipmen on October 8 offered to hold 'satanic religious services' hosted by the Satanic Temple
  • The email offered to hold discussions of satanic philosophy, along with the 'literary history of Satan'
  • A spokeswoman with the USNA asserted that it was shared prematurely, adding that the group originally asked to hold a 'study group'
  • She added that the Satanic Temple represents 'a non-theistic religious and politically active movement'
  • The military is forbidden from engaging in political activity
By MATTHEW WRIGHT FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 15:35 EDT, 12 October 2019 | UPDATED: 17:31 EDT, 12 October 2019

The U.S. Naval Academy has responded to a widely circulated email from the Satanic Temple that claimed they would be holding weekly 'satanic services' on the campus.

Shared in an Instagram post by Drunk Old Grad, the email was sent to USNA midshipmen on October 8 and claimed to cater 'to people who prescribe to The Satanic Temple's Satanic philosophy.'

'However all people of any faith background are welcome to attend,' the email continued.

An email sent to U.S. Naval Academy midshipmen on October 8 offered to hold 'satanic religious services' hosted by the Satanic Temple

The email offered to hold discussions of satanic philosophy, along with the 'literary history of Satan'

The email offered to hold discussions of satanic philosophy, along with the 'literary history of Satan.'

According to the email, the aim of the services would be to 'promote critical thinking and discussion on Satanic values as they pertain to our lives.'

And while the email was sent out on Tuesday with the expectation of starting meetings on Thursday, a spokeswoman with the USNA asserted that it was shared prematurely.

'This email was sent without the review and approval of the Naval Academy's Command Chaplain, as required by command policy,' USNA spokeswoman Commander Alana Garas said in an email to Task and Purpose. 'It did not represent the U.S. Naval Academy's Command Religious Program.'

'This email was sent without the review and approval of the Naval Academy's Command Chaplain, as required by command policy,' USNA spokeswoman Commander Alana Garas said. The group planned to meet in the Commodore Uriah P. Levy Center

She added that the group had requested the space for a 'study group.'

'The USNA Command Religious Program provides for the exercise of diverse beliefs,' Garas added. 'Arrangements were being made to provide the Midshipmen with a designated place to assemble as chaplains facilitate for the beliefs of all service members.'

Garas added that the Satanic Temple represents 'a non-theistic religious and politically active movement' which U.S. military are forbidden from engaging in.

Garas added that the Satanic Temple represents 'a non-theistic religious and politically active movement' which U.S. military are forbidden from engaging in.

'The Command Religious Program at the Naval Academy facilitates the opportunity for the free expression of diverse beliefs, but without endorsing any particular belief, [and] Midshipmen have the right to assemble to discuss their beliefs as they choose,' Garas continued.

'But, to be clear, in accordance with Department of Defense Policy, military members will not engage in partisan political activities, and will avoid the inference that their activities may appear to imply DoD approval or endorsement of a political cause.'

In April, the Satanic Temple was given section 501(c) tax exempt status, which puts it in the same bracket as major religions such as Catholicism and organizations such as the Salvation Army.

The recognition means that the Satanic Temple, which has 16 chapters in the U.S. and thousands of followers around the world, can apply for certain federal grants.

Anyone who donates money to the group can also write it off as a tax deduction.

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2016/07/30/1009710938036388038/640x360_1009710938036388038.mp4

DevaWolf

Veteran
Well I guess that tells us what the US Navy thinks of freedom of religion, and freedom in general. But yeah, can't have critical thinking skills in soldiers ofc.

redqueen

Superstar
I couldn't find a main thread or one that was any better
if Y'all think i should make a main thread i will
it's always Good to have a simple all encompassing thread
for certain subjects/topics if theres better places a post can
always be easily moved

it seems like there is always something that doesn't fit in any
of the available threads and some Peoples may decide not to
bother sharing or Reading as they can't be bothered trying

We all by now realize and Know what that one "religion"is
that was carved in stone in georga

Y'all Know what i think of "religion"it's one of the first tools
of mass divide and control
however if this was being done to any other"religion"it seems like
there would be outrage
so why is this being promoted,allowed and accepted so much(again We Know why)

Last edited: