The tyranny of Pop music by Roger Scruton

JustAMan

Rookie
This also touches on materialistic relativism (and post modernism to boot) that is the scourge of university departments around the Western world. Quite simply - I tell you want I want you to consume as no-one has the right to tell you otherwise.

Stephania

Star
4:10 "Silence must be avoided at all costs since it awakens you to the emptiness that looms on the edge of modern life, threatening to confront you with the dreadul truth you have nothing whatever to say" - Glory!
Yes.. glory. But he also makes the point that pointless meanings in music must be silenced. A very astute view.

Stephania

Star
For example, if music has a false message.. we should turn it off. But we can never turn music completely off because it is a part of us. I respect his explanation and warnings on both good and bad usages. Also.. he does not just explain this in computers. He goes right back to the phonograph as well. It is all machine. I have so many times had to block out the tyranny of false music.. and put in earphones of other music.

Last edited:

JustAMan

Rookie
Silence. Sweet silence is perhaps easiest solution to much of the malaise associated with all that is horrid in today's capitalist societies. A user posted somewhere that this site although recognising occult symbolism, it lacks any real solutions to the problem. Of course the easiest solution is to disconnect. Stop listening to pop music and and all that is occult. This in my opinion is a little extreme - I do enjoy some pop culture. Instead stop fucking spending - Fuck em. Ignore every fucking ad you see on this site. Pirate all your fucking music and movies and no I don't need the latest mobile fucking phone. Buy 2nd hand goods in op shops and resist buying anything new. Simple things can make all the difference. All this garbage about "Monarch Programming" may have some semblence of truth but the real victims are NOT the Pop stars. They live in mansions for god's sake. Be aware of advertising and simply ignore it.

The train wreck pop stars you hear about are more probably to do with losing artistic credibility and direction and having to toe the line comercially. They are under pressure to make money for the record companies and their shareholders. Consumer capitalism results in some much alienation it is not funny. Marx gets a bad wrap sometimes but he nailed it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx's_theory_of_alienation

The real programming is at our level - the consuming of messages that suit different levels of consumption - that's the real evil genius. We are told what to consume and we are told if we do not consume it we are not worthy. It is us who prop up the commercial world - that is where our contextual power is . Ever read an economist article and iit tells you to up your spending in a downturn of the economy. This does not give you the consumer a benefit - its the banks, the bankers, and corporates. The slimy waste land of monetary compliance. This is where the issue is. The fuckwits with the one eye signs can not be seen if I don't pay attention to them...hang on I have a one digit middle finger symbol I can give them back (courtesy of JC) - The world is ruled by symbols.

johnny-cash-finger-metal-postcard-mini-sign-na--9881-p.jpg

Let's face it - its all about the money on one level. Yes I do believe if you go higher up the power chain some weird shit starts to occur (spiritual experiences are truthful) owever for the average Joe - just stop spending and watch the majical chains of the NWO start to loosen.

I believe we are spiritual being but our true nature is being denied on numerous levels.

Last edited:

JustAMan

Rookie
Scruton speaks with a poetic philosophical tone which is refreshing. Themes around Art, the Artist, and its consumption make for interesting conversation. He appears to ask the question at the end of the video - Is the Artist responsible for the consumption and interpretation of their art? This question has wider implications not just for the artist but really the raison d'être of this site.

Awoken2

Superstar
Silence. Sweet silence is perhaps easiest solution to much of the malaise associated with all that is horrid in today's capitalist societies. A user posted somewhere that this site although recognising occult symbolism, it lacks any real solutions to the problem. Of course the easiest solution is to disconnect. Stop listening to pop music and and all that is occult. This in my opinion is a little extreme - I do enjoy some pop culture. Instead stop fucking spending - Fuck em. Ignore every fucking ad you see on this site. Pirate all your fucking music and movies and no I don't need the latest mobile fucking phone. Buy 2nd hand goods in op shops and resist buying anything new. Simple things can make all the difference. All this garbage about "Monarch Programming" may have some semblence of truth but the real victims are NOT the Pop stars. They live in mansions for god's sake. Be aware of advertising and simply ignore it.

The train wreck pop stars you hear about are more probably to do with losing artistic credibility and direction and having to toe the line comercially. They are under pressure to make money for the record companies and their shareholders. Consumer capitalism results in some much alienation it is not funny. Marx gets a bad wrap sometimes but he nailed it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx's_theory_of_alienation

The real programming is at our level - the consuming of messages that suit different levels of consumption - that's the real evil genius. We are told what to consume and we are told if we do not consume it we are not worthy. It is us who prop up the commercial world - that is where our contextual power is . Ever read an economist article and iit tells you to up your spending in a downturn of the economy. This does not give you the consumer a benefit - its the banks, the bankers, and corporates. The slimy waste land of monetary compliance. This is where the issue is. The fuckwits with the one eye signs can not be seen if I don't pay attention to them...hang on I have a one digit middle finger symbol I can give them back (courtesy of JC) - The world is ruled by symbols.

View attachment 31116

Let's face it - its all about the money on one level. Yes I do believe if you go higher up the power chain some weird shit starts to occur (spiritual experiences are truthful) owever for the average Joe - just stop spending and watch the majical chains of the NWO start to loosen.

I believe we are spiritual being but our true nature is being denied on numerous levels.
It's all very well and good being able to identify the dark messages which are being conveyed through the music industry. I'm struggling with the concept that it would be in any way beneficial, on an individual basis, to step away from this and detach yourself from the messages which are being disseminated to the masses.

Let me give you a clear example of what I'm getting at. Here we all see Madonna proclaiming to an audience of around 182 million people that "we are all not going to make it"...quite an alarming statement wouldn't you say? If your nightly news came on tonight, which has nowhere near 182 million viewers and stated that not everybody would be making it then people would be starting to panic a bit but just because that message is conveyed in a song people just don't accept the message in the same way.

If this was just a single case then it would have no real significance but as you are aware I have created a thread giving dozens of examples of how our mainstream pop artists are all conveying messages of a similar nature. The picture they are painting looks eerily similar to biblical prophecy as far as I can see.

Do they know something we don't? Rather than just stepping away from this and pretend it isn't happening I think it's important to highlight the fact that it is happening.

Just to show you how contrived the whole thing is you can see how finely tuned these messages get before we consume them here....literally.

She was put up on a very tall platform to inform people that some of us are going to die... or am I just interpreting something wrong?

JustAMan

Rookie
It's all very well and good being able to identify the dark messages which are being conveyed through the music industry. I'm struggling with the concept that it would be in any way beneficial, on an individual basis, to step away from this and detach yourself from the messages which are being disseminated to the masses.

Let me give you a clear example of what I'm getting at. Here we all see Madonna proclaiming to an audience of around 182 million people that "we are all not going to make it"...quite an alarming statement wouldn't you say? If your nightly news came on tonight, which has nowhere near 182 million viewers and stated that not everybody would be making it then people would be starting to panic a bit but just because that message is conveyed in a song people just don't accept the message in the same way.

If this was just a single case then it would have no real significance but as you are aware I have created a thread giving dozens of examples of how our mainstream pop artists are all conveying messages of a similar nature. The picture they are painting looks eerily similar to biblical prophecy as far as I can see.

Do they know something we don't? Rather than just stepping away from this and pretend it isn't happening I think it's important to highlight the fact that it is happening.

Just to show you how contrived the whole thing is you can see how finely tuned these messages get before we consume them here....literally.

She was put up on a very tall platform to inform people that some of us are going to die... or am I just interpreting something wrong?
My goodness why couldn't she find any pitch at all. That is shocking for a professional singer. Similar to Meatloaf at the AFL Grandfinal.

When you have questions about ""we are all not going to make it" and "some of us are going to die." what do you mean - are you talking about salvation or something else?

JustAMan

Rookie
@Awoken2

"I'm struggling with the concept that it would be in any way beneficial, on an individual basis, to step away from this and detach yourself from the messages which are being disseminated to the masses. "

In my humble opinion the path to revelation is a personal one and not one that is disseminated to the masses (via pop music anyway)
The message to the masses is "how can I make money from you"?

Last edited:

Helioform

Star
I agree with him to a certain extent. The thing is that there is more than just "pop music" and "classical music." There is a vast array of genres from artists that often do not end up being played on the radio. I discover all kinds of artists on Spotify and Youtube for example that are under-recognized and make really creative music. And it's not because they use electronic sounds that they must exclusively be dull and repetitive. Sounds like this guy only listens to classical and does not have anything else to compare pop to. I sometimes compose music in a music software called ModPlug and the creativity this awakens in me is really pleasant. So I agree with him that making music is a good thing to do, but you don't have to play instruments for that. You can compose complex symphonies that use sound samples for example.

I really like certain kinds of music which help me solve problems and become more productive while I program software. Those are often movie or video game soundtracks. Seems like they produce a rush of endorphins in my brain that makes me think clearer and become more motivated to code. I also listen to music to cut out noise from the neighborhood to let me focus more on the tasks I have to do. There isn't just music noise pollution, there is also just plain city noise pollution.

Stephania

Star

I do agree that spreading awareness is important.. but I do not believe that what you have said is what he meant. I believe he meant- spread the awareness so people will tune out these terrible ones. We all do this here
But outside of spreading awareness.
I can attest that I do not listen to anymore of these artists albums in my free time, or songs. Because I am aware, they are silent in my personal life and have no credence in my free time listening. Unfortunately.. thus far the world has not tuned them out, and I am bombarded with it every time I leave my home.

Stephania

Star
My goodness why couldn't she find any pitch at all. That is shocking for a professional singer. Similar to Meatloaf at the AFL Grandfinal.
LOL :D

By the way.. did you know that her song 'Like a Virgin' was written by a man? Gives the song a whole new weird perspective.

Last edited:

Stephania

Star
I agree with him to a certain extent. The thing is that there is more than just "pop music" and "classical music." There is a vast array of genres from artists that often do not end up being played on the radio. I discover all kinds of artists on Spotify and Youtube for example that are under-recognized and make really creative music. And it's not because they use electronic sounds that they must exclusively be dull and repetitive. Sounds like this guy only listens to classical and does not have anything else to compare pop to. I sometimes compose music in a music software called ModPlug and the creativity this awakens in me is really pleasant. So I agree with him that making music is a good thing to do, but you don't have to play instruments for that. You can compose complex symphonies that use sound samples for example.

I really like certain kinds of music which help me solve problems and become more productive while I program software. Those are often movie or video game soundtracks. Seems like they produce a rush of endorphins in my brain that makes me think clearer and become more motivated to code. I also listen to music to cut out noise from the neighborhood to let me focus more on the tasks I have to do. There isn't just music noise pollution, there is also just plain city noise pollution.
I think that when he said 'pop' he wasn't addressing genre- but rather- modern popular music in general. He certainly does not say to cut the cord on all music- as @JustAMan pointed out by quoting his questions about how to use the arts for better, not for worse.
Sadly, some artists have crossed the rubicon on this one, and they will never give up their bad cash cows for anything. These types are silent in my life. There is other music to listen to, as you said. Music goes on without them.

Cintra

Star
]

Link to the thread? please.