The TV show "Nowhere Man"

LaserSharks

Rookie
I am surprised this mid 90s show isn't covered by "conspiracy" sites at all. It has the most blatant "mind control" storylines of anything I've ever seen on television or elsewhere.

Has anyone here watched it? What's your opinion?

Story (from wikipedia): Nowhere Man is the story of photojournalist Thomas Veil, who discovers that his life has been abruptly "erased": his friends claim not to know him, his wife claims not to recognize him and is living with another man. His ATMcards and credit cards no longer work. His best friend turns up dead. His private studio no longer exists is now owned by someone else. His mother, recovering from a stroke, is incapable of confirming his existence. He is ejected from his favorite restaurant as a total lunatic. In the course of a single evening, every trace of Tom's identity is gone.

Tom believes this is a conspiracy related to a photograph he took a year earlier, depicting four men being hanged in South America by what appear to be US soldiers. The only evidence Tom has of his past are the negatives of that photograph. A mysterious organization covertly pursues Tom in search of the negatives. The series revolves around Veil's attempts to get his life back by trying to find out more about the organization, while also trying to keep the negative safe.

Just watch this three episodes of the show, and you will understand why I am surprised this one isn't talked about a lot more:

Last edited:

Karlysymon

Superstar
Last edited:
WARNING: Spoilers ahead.

I mentioned this series in passing here and here as I, along with, I’m assuming, the other 14 people, bought the DVD series. There’s probably a myriad of reasons why people here aren't talking about the show. The main one might be is I’ve read its’ time-slot got moved around a lot (on UPN in the US, I believe) and wasn't able to find and hold an audience. Interestingly, in the DVD set, there’s a segment where Bruce Greenwood, who plays Tom Veil, asked the same question when he and Larry Hertzog, the producer, are being interviewed about the show.

Personally, I think this is a fantastic show as it certainly holds up today! Bruce Greenwood does an excellent job in playing “Everyman” who is desperately trying to figure out who “they” are since the life as he once knew has been completely erased by them. “I’m keeping a diary to prove these events are real. I know they are, they...have to be” is voiced by Tom Veil in a tenuous cadence in the prelude of every show, doing what he can to convince himself that what he’s experiencing is still real. You’re right about the MK Ultra factor as that can been seen throughout the series and Tom’s wife can be viewed as his handler and part of the conspiracy. The episode such as “Zero Minus Ten” is one of my favourites as it illustrates many factors in what could be considered of MK Ultra nature, not to mention the exceptional performances by Greenwood and Megan Gallagher. The episode you have posted, “Calaway”, also delves into this as it touches on individuals being neurologically rewired for other personas and what happens when their former lives are revealed after their programming.

Larry Hertzog also explains the show is loosely based on the British series “The Prisoner” and the negatives Tom is being asked to surrender is a MacGuffin, a phrase made popular by Alfred Hitchcock, it can also be perceived as TPTB wanting information and whether or not they should be privy to it and at what cost. Although, within DVD set, Larry does state the overall series was a journey about who we are and that, at times, we are who people say we are.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Bruce does have a resemblance to Sam Neill and Hugo Weaving. They kinda look the same when they were younger. When I clicked on one of the episodes, I actually thought it to be Sam or Hugo, before the credits came up.
Apparently we (fam)had some sort of memory-wipe in regard to this particular show. The title got stuck in our minds but we had no idea what the show was all about! :p

Bruce does have a resemblance to Sam Neill and Hugo Weaving. They kinda look the same when they were younger. When I clicked on one of the episodes, I actually thought it to be Sam or Hugo, before the credits came up.
Apparently we (fam)had some sort of memory-wipe in regard to this particular show. The title got stuck in our minds but we had no idea what the show was all about! :p
Funny you should say that because when I was doing a bit of research about Bruce when watching NM, someone described him as being of mixture of Sam Neil and Harrison Ford. I can see that in his younger years because he was pretty easy on the eyes and could fall in the genre of characters they both play, not to mention I think Bruce has aged pretty well. ;)

Also, I see the shows have been uploaded on YT. In my opinion, aside from episodes 3 and 7, they’re all worth watching.

@Karlysymon , I was watching this earlier this week and had to wonder while doing so 'what did Larry (the creator of the show) know about the recruitment of the military, or branches of it?' Sadly, he never said anything in his interviews before he passed away, but it's shows like this that seem to disclose what goes on, all with a "fictional" storyline, of course:

Karlysymon

Superstar
@Karlysymon , I was watching this earlier this week and had to wonder while doing so 'what did Larry (the creator of the show) know about the recruitment of the military, or branches of it?' Sadly, he never said anything in his interviews before he passed away, but it's shows like this that seem to disclose what goes on, all with a "fictional" storyline, of course:

Thanks! I actually liked it and maybe i should just watch the series in entirety. :)
For me, the episode wasn't so much about military recruitment but more of a look at layers within the military and that compartmentalization does actually happen in that world. An obvious real-world example would be Operation GLADIO where the French and Italian Defence ministers were out of the loop, that special secret units within military units were tasked with carrying out terrorists attacks in Europe, with the CIA ofcourse moving the levers.

When i read this....
"More than 40 percent of active-duty and reserve personnel are people of color, and orders to confront protesters demonstrating against a criminal justice system that targets black men troubled many.

The Air Force’s top enlisted airman used Twitter to express his anger.
“Just like most of the Black Airmen and so many others in our ranks … I am outraged at watching another Black man die on television before our very eyes,” Kaleth O. Wright, the chief master sergeant of the Air Force, said in a Twitter thread, citing the names of black men who died in police custody or in police shootings. “I am George Floyd … I am Philando Castile, I am Michael Brown, I am Alton Sterling, I am Tamir Rice.”

......I thought to myself, if in a very real mass-scale crisis, these servicemen stood down and disobeyed orders to "dominate the battle space", who would be called upon to see through the military brass' commands? I think that is where groups like the fictional American Guard would come in. I believe that these units exist within the American military itself and are created rise to various occasions. I mean, "they" wouldn't do that within the French and Italian military and fail to do the same to the American military. Which is probably why we didn't see any colored recruits or commanders at the compound....if you take into consideration the pep-talk that Quinn gave the new recruits.

So something like American Guard wouldn't be "regular army" but still be part of the army. I think that if i watched all the episodes, i might get a better and clearer picture. Apparently:

Series creator Larry Hertzog has acknowledged the influence of The Prisoner and The Fugitive in the show's themes. Resemblances can also be seen to The Manchurian Candidate, North by Northwest, 12 Monkeys, Three Days Of The Condor, The X-Files and the 1967 television series Coronet Blue.

Stephania

Star
This is weird but it seems like I watched it because the title is familiar but can't remember anything about it (iam confirming with a family member if we ever did). I can easily recall a scene from Party of Five or Charmed but not this. But you are right, I've never seen anyone in this business analyse it. But it did remind me of this story of a Navy vet who woke up speaking Swedish and with no memory of his past life
The Title is a Beatles song
Side note: As a rule, I don't watch or listen to anything associated with the Beatles since 2008- so I cannot comment on borrowing from other shows/story lines. However- the Beatles make up their own shit story lines in any case. I'm not even gonna watch the vids here. Pure poison that I don't need or want to think about. Their 'magical mystery tour' ain't unicorns and rainbows or a mystery to me anymore. It's all evil garbage where everything is upside down. Evil ppl and bad ppl are victims and good, dark is light, true is false, no is yes, bitter is sweet, etc etc

Thanks! I actually liked it and maybe i should just watch the series in entirety. :)
I like it, and for me, it brings to focus the underpinnings of government and how various factions of it, can undermine the people it's supposed to be serving. In the “Extra Features” sections, there are people who are interviewed in disguise and admit that some of the topics in the show are actually used in real life. Therefore, some of the shows are the truth hidden in plain sight.
For me, the episode wasn't so much about military recruitment but more of a look at layers within the military and that compartmentalization does actually happen in that world. An obvious real-world example would be Operation GLADIO where the French and Italian Defence ministers were out of the loop, that special secret units within military units were tasked with carrying out terrorists attacks in Europe, with the CIA ofcourse moving the levers.
Exactly. When I watched how Knox was treating the recruits, I thought of the privatisation of the military as I’ve mentioned earlier:

Then, when I recall the incidents that transpired in the G20 protests, which seem to be very similar to some of the incidents regarding the George Floyd murder, I had to wonder if it was just all from the same playbook with agent provocateurs, aka, private military “recruits” mingled in with the general public:

"More than 40 percent of active-duty and reserve personnel are people of color, and orders to confront protesters demonstrating against a criminal justice system that targets black men troubled many.

The Air Force’s top enlisted airman used Twitter to express his anger.
“Just like most of the Black Airmen and so many others in our ranks … I am outraged at watching another Black man die on television before our very eyes,” Kaleth O. Wright, the chief master sergeant of the Air Force, said in a Twitter thread, citing the names of black men who died in police custody or in police shootings. “I am George Floyd … I am Philando Castile, I am Michael Brown, I am Alton Sterling, I am Tamir Rice.”

......I thought to myself, if in a very real mass-scale crisis, these servicemen stood down and disobeyed orders to "dominate the battle space", who would be called upon to see through the military brass' commands? I think that is where groups like the fictional American Guard would come in. I believe that these units exist within the American military itself and are created rise to various occasions. I mean, "they" wouldn't do that within the French and Italian military and fail to do the same to the American military. Which is probably why we didn't see any colored recruits or commanders at the compound....if you take into consideration the pep-talk that Quinn gave the new recruits.
Good points. Although, if you watch the episode “Calaway”, you’ll see that they’ll use black men for other nefarious purposes (i.e. Joe 'J.C.' Carter/Dr. Novak). Much like Al Sharpton, TD Jakes and Jesse Jackson, they’re merely talking heads, providing lots of rhetoric not providing any sort of solutions and keeping the status quo.
So something like American Guard wouldn't be "regular army" but still be part of the army. I think that if i watched all the episodes, i might get a better and clearer picture. Apparently:

Series creator Larry Hertzog has acknowledged the influence of The Prisoner and The Fugitive in the show's themes. Resemblances can also be seen to The Manchurian Candidate, North by Northwest, 12 Monkeys, Three Days Of The Condor, The X-Files and the 1967 television series Coronet Blue.
Watching the Fugitive with David Jenssen is next on my list so I’ll keep you posted. :)

Tidal

Star
The Title is a Beatles song
Side note: As a rule, I don't watch or listen to anything associated with the Beatles since 2008- so I cannot comment on borrowing from other shows/story lines. However- the Beatles make up their own shit story lines in any case...
On the other hand, the Beatles songs can backfire on them.
For example George Harrison was into Harry Krishna stuff and when he died his ashes were slung into the "sacred" river Ganges, so he's a real 'Nowhere Man' now..:)
As for Lennon's anti-christian song 'Imagine', here's another song that could apply to them both..:)-

Karlysymon

Superstar
Exactly. When I watched how Knox was treating the recruits, I thought of the privatisation of the military as I’ve mentioned earlier:

PMC's never crossed my mind at all! Probably because of the way Quinn addressed them. One always misses stuff on a first watch. What i thought of was the Delta Force.
I have a thread on pmc's so maybe i'll post your link over there.