The Thief on the Cross

When the thief called Jesus “Lord”, what did that mean?

I was listening to this while on an exercise bike a few weeks ago and it was what got me wondering about the implications of the few words that were recorded from the penitent thief
Kyrios? yes, the meaning is not a mystery.

Wait a second, no the Luke 23:42 bit (I thought you were talking generally for a second), then it doesn't even say that in the Greek text, it only says "And he was saying, Jesus, remember me when you......" hmmm....no Kyrios even there.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Wait a second, no the Luke 23:42 bit (I thought you were talking generally for a second), then it doesn't even say that in the Greek text, it only says "And he was saying, Jesus, remember me when you......" hmmm....no Kyrios even there.
1 Corinthians 12

1Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. 2Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. 3Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

With regard to this particular mention of “Lord” I guess it all depends on what credence you afford the “Critical Text” of the Revised Version and Nestle-Alands Greek revisions relative to the manuscript Textus Receptus.

http://textus-receptus.com/wiki/2962

A can of worms is available....

Last edited:

shankara

Star
I figure that the "Good Thief" would be the person who "steals fire from the devil", which is to say uses the energy of passion to accomplish the good. The "Bad Thief" would be the person who plots and schemes, using the energy of reason to satisfy perverse desires.

For me it's not even the thief's mention of "Lord". The relevant part is what came after it:

“Lord/Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.
He's calling the kingdom of Heaven Jesus' kingdom. Therefore, Jesus is God.

The line that came before it is also intriguing, but requires some more thought:

"Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation?"

TokiEl

Superstar
For me it's not even the thief's mention of "Lord". The relevant part is what came after it:

“Lord/Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.

He's calling the kingdom of Heaven Jesus' kingdom. Therefore, Jesus is God.
Jesus is God because a penitent thief said so ?

What are you smoking ?

Jesus is God because a penitent thief said so ?

What are you smoking ?
I don't smoke.

We are all sinners and, according to the Gospels, many sinners before the penitent thief had recognized and bowed down before Jesus. Neither does Jesus rebuke him for conflating Him with God; He promises him a place in His Kingdom.

TokiEl

Superstar
I don't smoke.

We are all sinners and, according to the Gospels, many sinners before the penitent thief had recognized and bowed down before Jesus. Neither does Jesus rebuke him for conflating Him with God; He promises him a place in His Kingdom.
Yes but Jesus is not God because a penitent thief said so.

The penitent thief repented.

And that's good enough for Jesus who is God because He is God.

Yes but Jesus is not God because a penitent thief said so.
Never made this claim. It is but another piece of scriptural evidence showing Jesus to be God that I had previously overlooked and which becomes more and more pertinent in a time where many people of faith, including Christians, are questioning or even denying it.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Never made this claim. It is but another piece of scriptural evidence showing Jesus to be God that I had previously overlooked and which becomes more and more pertinent in a time where many people of faith, including Christians, are questioning or even denying it.
To be fair, I have been a Christian for a long time and I’ve only just noticed this one!