The struggle to find video games without fighting or sexualised imagery

Lurking009

Veteran
Hi, wow; life sure has changed in the video game realm since I was a child! I grew up playing first Atari, then Collecovision which featured absolutely innocent & memorable games such as The Legend of Zelda, many versions of Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong, The Goonies, etc…I feel for the young kids of today, and the parents who have such sadly limited choices in choosing “age appropriate” video games for them. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous that “having trouble finding games which do not hurt animals, women, etc” is a serious issue” in this day and age. Whoever is responsible for creating these sexist, perverse, and games that hurt animals (I’m a huge animal activist) is a seriously evil f**k who needs to be held accountable for his/her irresponsible actions of purposely f**king up entire generations of kids!!
Calm down. There are actually lots of games available without scantily clad women, animal abuse and violence. The OP's further list of requirements is what is limiting the choices, which is not depicting anything she/he would not do in real life, and must be arcade-ish.

Games, just like books, can't be blamed for an entire generation of messed up kids. No one is forced to buy games for their kids. If parents choose to buy their kids games that are sexual, violent, and inappropriate, that's bad parenting and it's on them. Age ratings are there for a reason, and personal responsibility is still a thing.

Last edited:

amaranthine

Established
Hi, wow; life sure has changed in the video game realm since I was a child! I grew up playing first Atari, then Collecovision which featured absolutely innocent & memorable games such as The Legend of Zelda, many versions of Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong, The Goonies, etc…I feel for the young kids of today, and the parents who have such sadly limited choices in choosing “age appropriate” video games for them. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous that “having trouble finding games which do not hurt animals, women, etc” is a serious issue” in this day and age. Whoever is responsible for creating these sexist, perverse, and games that hurt animals (I’m a huge animal activist) is a seriously evil f**k who needs to be held accountable for his/her irresponsible actions of purposely f**king up entire generations of kids!!
Actually this isn't true. There are a lot of games available that are perfectly suitable for kids, not to mention a lot of games that are not about torturing animals, debasing women, glorifying violence. The bigger problem are parents who lazily give kids phones and just let them play the half-baked mobile games which are (most of them) built with the pay-to-play mechanic in mind. That's how we get less and less of quality and more and more of imagination destroying, mind numbing corporate shit.

Games, just like books, can't be blamed for an entire generation of messed up kids. No one is forced to buy games for their kids. If parents choose to buy their kids games that are sexual, violent, and inappropriate, that's bad parenting and it's on them. Age ratings are there for a reason, and personal responsibility is still a thing.
I agree with your post, but then i got to thinking that there are A LOT of unfit parents who will buy their kids games that are rated M. I can't really speak much for games of this generation, but 15-20 years ago parents were buying their kids stuff like Grand Theft Auto or Manhunt.

Not sure what the solution is, and i do agree that there are games available that are appropriate for children, but i guess im just saying that personal responsibility only goes so far when many parents themselves are stupid, immature or brainwashed. And if those kids grow up messed up or try to imitate what they see in the game then it becomes society's problem.

Lurking009

Veteran
I agree with your post, but then i got to thinking that there are A LOT of unfit parents who will buy their kids games that are rated M. I can't really speak much for games of this generation, but 15-20 years ago parents were buying their kids stuff like Grand Theft Auto or Manhunt.

Not sure what the solution is, and i do agree that there are games available that are appropriate for children, but i guess im just saying that personal responsibility only goes so far when many parents themselves are stupid, immature or brainwashed. And if those kids grow up messed up or try to imitate what they see in the game then it becomes society's problem.
Government's fix would be to ban and censor even more. No thanks. The true solution is change at the spiritual level. When society rejects God and the Bible, irresponsibility and immorality becomes normalized and everthing radiates out from there.

I also don't think everything should be watered down and made kid-friendly to accomodate bad parenting. People should have freedom to play what they want, same as books or movies.

Last edited:

Line

Established
That’s feeling of shame when you want to help said personne, but all the franchises and stories you are ever interested in, capitalize excessively on those elements :confused: Sorry! As soon as I find a good one, I’ll help.

Line

Established

Most of these should be available on console, if that's what you play.
Portal do not contain any of those (Or I don’t think so, since I run from game away with this mood like the pest!) but I think there is violence. Psychological one. It’s purposely crafted to make you sad and even suicidal.

Advertisement *violence* do not always equal blood, cuted arms, or scene of murder or s…

There is also subtles ones, that’s generally hide themselves behind a gran idea of a story to tell, a ideology, or just even some certains sets of emotions.

Since we are a generation that’s live in a very boring and « non meaningful life like works of fictions » those works are exceedingly popular and pass automatically the test of « Oh this game is ok, it won’t mess me up »

But generally even « ok » fictions take some weeks or days before finding yourself psychological agitated all because you played a so called. « ok » game!

I’m not putting myself above any of you in this thread mind you, since I’m a great consumer of fictions games, shows books and whatever every since I was 1 month.

Just wanted to warn..

Lurking009

Veteran
That’s feeling of shame when you want to help said personne, but all the franchises and stories you are ever interested in, capitalize excessively on those elements :confused: Sorry! As soon as I find a good one, I’ll help.
LOL - I feel no shame in the list of options I and others suggested and could have provided loads more! These games are fabulous, imaginative and creative games with beautiful graphics, compelling storylines, insanely fun simulators, and clever writing. The issue is that the OP is also looking for games not depicting anything she/he would not do in real life, and must be arcade-ish. Not the OP's fault, but those requirements are just severely limiting when the sky is the limit in gaming.

Line

Established
LOL - I feel no shame in the list of options I and others suggested and could have provided loads more! These games are fabulous, imaginative and creative games with beautiful graphics, compelling storylines, insanely fun simulators, and clever writing. The issue is that the OP is also looking for games not depicting anything she/he would not do in real life, and must be arcade-ish. Not the OP's fault, but those requirements are just severely limiting when the sky is the limit in gaming.
I was talking about myself not you. But yas I get what you mean, I tried many many times on so many sites to find a « ok » game, according to my standards, and at the end of my long research, I always come back with empty hands.

Lurking009

Veteran
Portal do not contain any of those (Or I don’t think so, since I run from game away with this mood like the pest!) but I think there is violence. Psychological one. It’s purposely crafted to make you sad and even suicidal.
I respect your wish to avoid certain aspects in gaming, which is totally understandable, but I just wanted to state a few things having played Portal 1 and 2 many times. They are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, not taken seriously at all, and are actually very funny and endearing. It doesn't make you [the player] sad or suicidal, and the puzzles are wonderful. There's also a hidden mystery to solve. A realistic approach to Portal would be to have some lighthearted fun. They are truly masterpieces among games.

Line

Established
Portal 1 and 2 are meant to be tongue-in-cheek and not taken seriously at all. They are actually very funny and endearing. It doesn't make you [the player] sad or suicidal, and the puzzles are wonderful. There's also a hidden mystery to solve. A realistic approach to Portal would be to have some lighthearted fun. They are truly masterpieces among games.
I dunno I listened to the end generic once, and it was…Weird.

amaranthine

Established
I respect your wish to avoid certain aspects in gaming, which is totally understandable, but I just wanted to state a few things having played Portal 1 and 2 many times. They are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, not taken seriously at all, and are actually very funny and endearing. It doesn't make you [the player] sad or suicidal, and the puzzles are wonderful. There's also a hidden mystery to solve. A realistic approach to Portal would be to have some lighthearted fun. They are truly masterpieces among games.
Completely agree. You can get some negative emotions playing portal (you can get them by doing anything), perhaps a sense of claustrophobia due to the confined spaces that are in the game or due to the pretty darn obvious notion of being a rat in a maze. But the game is designed to free you of these negative emotions by the use of humor which lightens the mood a lot and is thus not at all trying to covertly bring you down or brainwash you...Humor after all can have the effect of getting you out of your "headspace", to see the bigger picture, to let you know that you are not your feelings and emotions. It makes you use a bit of self-reflection which is always a good thing.

Line

Established
Completely agree. You can get some negative emotions playing portal (you can get them by doing anything), perhaps a sense of claustrophobia due to the confined spaces that are in the game or due to the pretty darn obvious notion of being a rat in a maze. But the game is designed to free you of these negative emotions by the use of humor which lightens the mood a lot and is thus not at all trying to covertly bring you down or brainwash you... It makes you use a bit of self-reflection which is always a good thing.
I see.

Hubert

Established
I’m trying to find a game without beating someone up, hurting animals or women in perverted outfits. Is this even possible? I am currently playing just a matching game. I wish this was easier ..
Civilization franchise. There is combat between units, but it's brief and if you like you can turn off the animation. That way it's like chess pieces taking one another.

You are confusing Nintendo with colecovision. Also didn't you claim to be a teenager? Colecovision came out in the early eighties so sounds you pushing into fifties of age. No matter at least you gave colecovision a mention but all the games you mentioned came out on Nintendo. I know because I have a PhD from Nintendo University LOL.

Last edited: