The Strategy of Tension.

Karlysymon

Superstar
While I do have a thread on terrorism, this modus operandi deserves its own……in understanding recent events and borrowing from H.G Wells, also understanding the “shape of things to come”. Because very so often, we fall for the (respective) gov’t’s lies or the enemy they present and cheer on the solutions presented.

"Western anti-terror legislation does not allow the state to be considered in any way culpable for terrorist activities. As far as our elected representatives are concerned, terrorism is a problem of loosely associated groups of reactionary fanatics “attacking our freedoms”. The assumption, never explicitly stated for then it would be revealed, and easily and permanently ridiculed, is that the state is innocent, immune to indulging in such barbaric practices. Written into the rule of law itself, this assumption posits the state as a paternal Fuhrer, a God figure whom we must all entrust our lives and liberties to.

Yet whichever way you look at it, international terrorism has its origins in the state itself. There are many ways of understanding this, but perhaps the most pertinent for our purposes is contemporary history. We don’t need to go very far back either. Only twenty odd years, to the era of the Cold War, when we were also getting Trigger-Happy trying to defend the “Free World” from the “Evil Empire” of International Communism, as Ronald Reagan put it so aptly.

The “strategy of tension” denotes a highly secretive series of interconnected covert operations conducted jointly by the CIA and MI6 largely in Western Europe during the this period. Well-documented by several respected historians, confirmed by official inquiries, and corroborated by former intelligence officials, the “strategy of tension” is one of those unsavoury moments in contemporary history that we don’t learn about in school, or even university.

My favourite book on the subject, and the most authoritative in my view, is Dr. Daniele Ganser’s NATO’s Secret Armies: Operation Gladio and Terrorism in Western Europe (2004). Published in the UK as part of the “Contemporary Security Studies” series of London-based academic press Routledge, Ganser’s study is the first major historical work to bring the “strategy of tension” into the mainstream of scholarship."

I originally posted Dr. Ganser's interview in another thread of mine but will leave it here (interview begins at 12min mark)

Tidal

Star
Article quote- Yet whichever way you look at it, international terrorism has its origins in the state itself.

Ah, but let's not forget that it was the people who voted their governments into power in the first place, so if a government is krap it's just as much the peoples fault..;)

Lisa

Superstar
Ah, but let's not forget that it was the people who voted their governments into power in the first place, so if a government is krap it's just as much the peoples fault..;)

Sometimes its the lesser of two evils because you really don’t have a good choice anyway.

Tidal

Star
Tidal said- Ah, but let's not forget that it was the people who voted their governments into power in the first place, so if a government is krap it's just as much the peoples fault..;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes its the lesser of two evils because you really don’t have a good choice anyway.

Yes, no candidate is perfect, but if a candidate is REALLY REALLY imperfect, hell will freeze before they get my vote.
In fact I never voted at all for the first 60 years of my life and people used to say to me "But you've GOT to vote", and I replied that no way do I vote for numbnuts.
However things have improved here in Britain in recent years and I now vote for the patriotic right-wing parties, and if they're not fielding any candidates I vote for second best IF they shape up reasonably well.
For example I voted for Boris because he was pledged to get us out of the clutches of the wretched EU, and he's done just that..:)

PS- If I was American I'd be voting for Trump..:)

Mountain05

Rookie
Tidal said- Ah, but let's not forget that it was the people who voted their governments into power in the first place, so if a government is krap it's just as much the peoples fault..;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, no candidate is perfect, but if a candidate is REALLY REALLY imperfect, hell will freeze before they get my vote.
In fact I never voted at all for the first 60 years of my life and people used to say to me "But you've GOT to vote", and I replied that no way do I vote for numbnuts.
However things have improved here in Britain in recent years and I now vote for the patriotic right-wing parties, and if they're not fielding any candidates I vote for second best IF they shape up reasonably well.
For example I voted for Boris because he was pledged to get us out of the clutches of the wretched EU, and he's done just that..:)

PS- If I was American I'd be voting for Trump..:)
Does it matter if election is selection? Don't know for sure if it is the truth but I suspect that.

Regarding the OP, they do this to make a progress in achieving their goals and one of their goals seem to be communism or something like that to have a total control. I wonder if some forms of anarchy would counter their actions. Like an anarchy state where people have made full technological progress and self sustenance, and nobody has to rely on to the government.

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
..I wonder if some forms of anarchy would counter their actions. Like an anarchy state where people have made full technological progress and self sustenance, and nobody has to rely on to the government.

Yeah, i've been watching my Survivors (1975) DVD's, here's a scene where a small group have set up in a country house after a plague has wiped out nearly everybody on earth, and they seem happy enough because the old world rat-race has gone for ever and doesn't matter any more..:)