The Social Dilemma on Netflix

sailormoon

Established
Anyone else watch this? I wasn’t going to, in fact I don’t even have Netflix anymore, but my whole family was hyping it up so I figured I’d check it out (on my moms account lol). I really liked the first half of the doc, it was super eye opening for me. I am not a tech savvy person so I was pretty blown away by how advanced social media really is and how we humans are products. I loved the line in the doc “only two markers call their customer “users” - illegal drugs and social media”. Anyways, of course being Netflix there is always an agenda. So the second half was all how social media has been used to spread false narratives. Basically that all conspiracies are false, what will we do in a world where people believe false information? They even mentioned Pizzagate and COVID-19 as their two false conspiracy theories LOL. Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else is watching and what you think.

Johnny5

Veteran
In the Information Technology field the word "user" is commonplace.

Some examples:
UI = User Interface
UAT = User Acceptance Testing
UX = User Experience

They talked about ithe doc very briefly on local radio about a week ago. One guy recommended it to the other with the caveat that it was going to make him super depressed. He said the devs interviewed in the doc were basically like "Um, sorry we ruined life for you."

I sometimes flirt with getting a 7 day trial again just to see stuff when I hear about it, but then I remember the moral stand we took against NFLX. We cancelled it last year after 15 years of being one of their "users".

Pizzagate is a false conspiracy.

That's not to say that the general ideas behind it don't have truth... Sex trafficking is very real and the traffiking of minors is especially concerning... But the actual pizzagate narrative is bullshit, and in my opinion, was a deliAttach filesberate misdirection. A bullshit story, about a sex dungeon in the basement of a building that doesn't have a fucking basement, that they got stupid people to spread to actually discredit people actually looking into real sex trafficking.

That's not to say that the general ideas behind it don't have truth... Sex trafficking is very real and the traffiking of minors is especially concerning... But the actual pizzagate narrative is bullshit, and in my opinion, was a deliAttach filesberate misdirection. A bullshit story, about a sex dungeon in the basement of a building that doesn't have a fucking basement, that they got stupid people to spread to actually discredit people actually looking into real sex trafficking.
It came out right when the lawsuit filed by the girl who claimed to be raped by Trump and Epstein was gathering steam.

Then u realize it was all pro-Trump operatives pushing the scam, and u understand it was meant not only to discredit Trumps opposition, but to take heat away from the fact HE IS THE p***phile.

Maes17

Superstar

I don’t think pizza gate is real, but I am glad it brought awareness to human/child trafficking. There are a lot of perverted sick twisted people out there violating innocent people’s vulnerability.

DavidSon

Star
I got sucked into watching it. As @sailormoon said the first 1/2 was decent (though The Great Hack is much more informative) but then morphed into ridiculous propaganda about "fake news" destroying democracy, etc. Did anyone else notice the old man at the protest with a sign that said, "There Is No Truth" or something like that? Just nonsense. A family member couldn't understand why I went off on a tirade but then they sent me this article. I guess if someone else online agrees with you, your opinion is validated lol:

The Social Dilemma? Nope, Just Silicon Valley Propaganda

imsickofyoshi

Established
Basically that all conspiracies are false, what will we do in a world where people believe false information? They even mentioned Pizzagate and COVID-19 as their two false conspiracy theories LOL. Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else is watching and what you think.

I liked the doc, Its encouraging to someone who is trying to cut media consumption, but I caught that. Had to throw in the people concerned about vaccines too.

icecreamochi

Rookie
In a world of technology and social media, I always laugh when people say they try to cut back social media only to get back on there after a month. Instead of cutting back, how about learning to only follow what you enjoy and what feeds your mind. You control your newsfeed who you choose to friend and follow. Good luck trying to cut back because that doesn’t always work. Lol

Vulpesrex

Rookie
I watched it as well - my family has Netflix and Hulu and I'll watch things occasionally if they spark my interest, especially documentaries. Been off social media with the exception of YouTube (which I don't really consider social media in the traditional sense...I put on Jordan Peterson lectures when I'm cleaning or other informative/educational content) and Pinterest (that's where I get my best craft, recipe, and workout ideas) around the time everyone was arguing about weather or not Trump actually said to drink bleach to cure corona. I had been Over It for a while before that but watching those conversations happening in real time were the nail in the coffin for me. The last year or so that I was on them, I felt like I couldn't honestly express my opinion about anything political without a bunch of people attacking me or calling me names, so I just stopped saying anything because the backlash wasn't worth the mental stress to me. In a way, these platforms do stifle free speech because of how nasty people can be to you on there. I re-logged in and deleted my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts for good last week since I'm working on getting a new, better job and don't want a dumb meme or post I shared to count against me when they do a background check. I've suspected the issues The Social Dilemma brought up were a thing for a while, and watching it only confirmed for me that quitting was a good decision.

Being off those platforms for a few months, I've noticed a sharp drop in my overall anxiety about the world and don't feel like I'm "missing out" on anything important. Only one person has reached out through text to see if I was okay since they noticed I stopped posting, and it was a family member. Quitting really put into perspective how "fake" our online friendships can be and how viewing a constant stream of negative content was effecting my mental wellbeing. I am a little slow to get news nowadays, and I will admit to missing looking at funny memes, but that's really the only drawbacks I've noticed in regards to quitting social media.

Diogenes

Established
I watched it as well - my family has Netflix and Hulu and I'll watch things occasionally if they spark my interest, especially documentaries. Been off social media with the exception of YouTube (which I don't really consider social media in the traditional sense...I put on Jordan Peterson lectures when I'm cleaning or other informative/educational content) and Pinterest (that's where I get my best craft, recipe, and workout ideas) around the time everyone was arguing about weather or not Trump actually said to drink bleach to cure corona. I had been Over It for a while before that but watching those conversations happening in real time were the nail in the coffin for me. The last year or so that I was on them, I felt like I couldn't honestly express my opinion about anything political without a bunch of people attacking me or calling me names, so I just stopped saying anything because the backlash wasn't worth the mental stress to me. In a way, these platforms do stifle free speech because of how nasty people can be to you on there. I re-logged in and deleted my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts for good last week since I'm working on getting a new, better job and don't want a dumb meme or post I shared to count against me when they do a background check. I've suspected the issues The Social Dilemma brought up were a thing for a while, and watching it only confirmed for me that quitting was a good decision.

Being off those platforms for a few months, I've noticed a sharp drop in my overall anxiety about the world and don't feel like I'm "missing out" on anything important. Only one person has reached out through text to see if I was okay since they noticed I stopped posting, and it was a family member. Quitting really put into perspective how "fake" our online friendships can be and how viewing a constant stream of negative content was effecting my mental wellbeing. I am a little slow to get news nowadays, and I will admit to missing looking at funny memes, but that's really the only drawbacks I've noticed in regards to quitting social media.
Very well said. Just don't talk to anyone, unless you trust them fully. So many vultures out there, ready to shred you.