The sin of the Nicolaites

Bent8484

Established
This verse, in Revelation 2:6, is a bit puzzling without context:

"But you have this in your favor—you hate what the Nicolaitans are doing. I also hate what they’re doing."

So I looked up the Nicolaites, to find out what this sin was... some sources say adultery, but that's an over-simplification. Nicholas, deacon of Jerusalem, was pimping his wife out. Revelations is talking about human trafficking as something God abhors...that should be of interest to some of you, I would think, as it flows out of verses that I interpret as labelling the Pauline tradition as corrupted (see the Names of God translation of Revelation 2), and just before saying Judaism has been similarly infiltrated (the synagogue of Satan verse).

Now, what organization is descended from Pauline tradition and has a bit of a recurring human trafficking problem, again? Maybe the book of Revelation is more applicable to the modern world than I originally thought... the Roman empire was only the first global entity known as "Rome", the Vatican is still around.

(Also, I'm starting to wonder if all these references to a contemporary Babylon, long past the decline of the old one, might not have something to do with our leaders and their secret obsession with Sumerian/Babylonian religious motifs...but that's a topic for another thread.)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

"But you have this in your favor—you hate what the Nicolaitans are doing. I also hate what they’re doing."

So I looked up the Nicolaites, to find out what this sin was... some sources say adultery, but that's an over-simplification. Nicholas, deacon of Jerusalem, was pimping his wife out. Revelations is talking about human trafficking as something God abhors...that should be of interest to some of you, I would think, as it flows out of verses that I interpret as labelling the Pauline tradition as corrupted (see the Names of God translation of Revelation 2), and just before saying Judaism has been similarly infiltrated (the synagogue of Satan verse).

Now, what organization is descended from Pauline tradition and has a bit of a recurring human trafficking problem, again? Maybe the book of Revelation is more applicable to the modern world than I originally thought... the Roman empire was only the first global entity known as "Rome", the Vatican is still around.

(Also, I'm starting to wonder if all these references to a contemporary Babylon, long past the decline of the old one, might not have something to do with our leaders and their secret obsession with Sumerian/Babylonian religious motifs...but that's a topic for another thread.)
There is also a sense that Nicolaitans breaks down into Nico-Laitans - “Nico” from the root “to conquer” and “Laitans” the root of “Laity” as in “the people” hence the Nicolaitans we’re those who would conquer the people.

As the Church grew and organised, structures became hierarchical, eventually leading to the many tiered Catholic Church.

C92785A0-097D-4CF9-9E3B-6D516882C99F.png

Since this structure came to hide the Gospel from the ordinary people for centuries, I could well imagine why the Lord was not keen on the deeds of the Nicolaitans!

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I'm sure you've heard the Nero theory, yeah? It seems reasonable, in historical context, til you start comparing translations... and then it totally doesn't hold up.
I think that this little exchange between Gandalf and Bilbo in the Hobbit cuts through a lot of the theological fog over the interpretation of Bible prophecy:-

“Good Morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.
"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
"All of them at once," said Bilbo. "And a very fine morning for a pipe of tobacco out of doors, into the bargain.”

A Freeman

Superstar

The Nicolaitanes are the followers of St. Nick/St. Ni-Claus/St. Nicolas, aka "Santa Claus", i.e. those who celebrate what is wrongly referred to as "Christ-mass".

Ask most "Christians" and they'll probably tell you that despite the central role Santa plays in all of this 'holiday cheer', they know the real reason for the season. Don't we all?

MATERIALISM.

Christ-mass/X-mas is the most materialistic event on the calendar. Advertising and peer pressure has people spending money they don't have on things they don't need, to impress people they don't know. THAT is what X-mas is all about and the real reason for the silly season. The supposed birthday of Jesus was simply added to indoctrinate and incorporate "Christians" into these overtly pagan/heathen Yuletide/Saturnalia traditions and promote materialism. X-mass/Yuletide/Saturnalia and the birth of Jesus are, by their very nature, mutually exclusive.

Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and materialism.

X-mas teaches people to tell lies, and worse yet, it manipulates us to perpetuate these lies “for the good of the children”. And if any should refuse to teach, train and spoil their children into being selfish and materialistic liars like themselves, they face the wrath and judgment of the evil majority (Exod. 23:2) who consider themselves to be St. Nick's best friend and personal defenders.

From a very early age, children are fed the LIE that there is a jolly old man in a red suit named Santa [Ni]Claus (old St. Nick/Nicolas) who, in a single night, flies around the world in a sled pulled by flying reindeer (one with a red nose that lights the way), landing on people's rooftops undetected before forcing his obese, jelly-like exterior through the chimney and leaving all of these wonderful gifts under the X-mass tree strung with gold and silver tinsel. As ridiculous as this story sounds, even to children, they are told if they do not believe in Santa he won't come and leave them any presents. How can children believe anything their parents tell them after finding out Santa is a lie?

We are training our children to believe in lies and that it's fun to repeat them.

The name “Santa” is a very obvious anagram for Satan, who is the father/inventor of LIES [John 8:35 (John 8:44 KJV)] and he is laughing at us all (ho-ho-ho) for falling for his X-mas con job. No wonder Christ HATES X-mas.

Revelation 2:6, 15
2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes (followers of Santa [Ni]-Claus - Yuletide, Easter [Ishtar - a goddess of fertility - eggs a symbol of fertility] etc.), which I also hate.

2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the followers of St. [Ni]-Claus (Yuletide), which thing I hate.

So how can so-called Christians do this to Christ? Celebrating a lie, and teaching your children to do the same is patently evil, which is why Christ (the Truth) condemns the pagan tradition of the X-mas/Yuletide/Saturnalia, which honors Satan/Santa, NOT the supposed birth of Jesus. Does anyone really believe that the Lamb of God was born in the dead of Winter? Lambs are born in the Spring, the season of REBIRTH.

In the year 7 B.C. there was a conjunction of Jupiter (the king of the planets) and Saturn (thought to be the protector of Israel) in the Constellation of Pisces (the Sign of the Messiah), as computed in 1603 by the Astronomer Royal in Prague - Johannes Kepler, that was first visible at daybreak on the 12th of April 7 B.C. (Passover in 7 B.C. was on Monday April 13th which commenced at sundown on the 12th). The earth-shattering significance of this conjunction – Messiah; King; Protector of Israel; Passover - would have been unmistakable to the Levitical Druid astronomers (wise men) in the British Isles, where the monarch was also the Archdruid.

Matthew 2:1-6
2:1 Now when Jesus had been born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men (druids) to the East to Jerusalem,
2:2 Saying, Where is he that has been BORN King of the Jews? for we saw his "Star" in the East, and are come to worship him.
2:3 When Herod the king had heard [these things], he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and lawyers of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
2:5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
2:6 And thou Bethlehem, [in] the land of Judah, art not the least among the princes of Judah: for out of thee shall come a Governor (of this prison planet), that shall rule My people Israel.

Jesus (Savior) was born in the Spring, in Bethlehem of Judaea, at the time of the Passover (when the lamb's blood saved us by causing the angel of death to passover) NOT on the pagan Yuletide/Christmas, during the season of death. Celebrating the heathen Yuletide/Saturnalia began shortly after the flood (Gen. 10:8-9), and had been going on for thousands of years before the birth of Jesus.

Jeremiah 10:1-4
10:1 Hear ye the Word which the "I AM" speaketh unto you, O House of Israel:
10:2 Thus saith the "I AM", Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
10:3 For the customs of the people [are] vain: for [one] cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

Spreading lies and continuing to do that thing which Christ hates is a sure-fire way to burn (Rev. 21:8).

Above excerpt from: The Top 10 Myths that Dominate Christianity

With regard to Babylon and Rome, the Romans are the direct descendants of the Babylonians, and the only race of people to ever destroy Solomon's Temple. They did it the first time, c. 588 BC, as the Babylonians, and the second time (the rebuilt temple is often referred to as Herod's Temple, to differentiate it from the first one), c. 70 A.D., as the Romans. Rome is New Babylon.

Sura 17:7. If ye did well, ye did well for yourselves; if ye did evil, (ye did it) against yourselves. So when the second of the warnings came to pass, (We permitted your enemies) to disfigure your faces, and to enter your Temple as they* had entered it before, and to visit with destruction all that fell into their power.

*the Babylonians and the Romans are the same race with a new name and country - note well New Covenant/Testament - Revelation 17:5.

Revelation 17:5 And upon her forehead [was] a name written, MYSTERY (2 Thess. 2:7), BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS (her daughters) AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

While we are told the first “pope” was the disciple Peter (who never visited Rome, nor kept Sun-day worship, Ishtar-Easter or X-mas, nor believed in a pagan "trinity" god), it was actually pagan Roman emperor Constantine 1. Constantine held the title “Pontifex Maximus” which literally means “high priest” of the sun god, the central focus of Babylonian sun-worship on Sun-days.

The Roman Catholic church (RCC) is therefore the obvious continuation of the Roman empire; the wealthiest business empire on Earth, able to transcend all national and international borders. Constantine was the Roman emperor from 306-337 AD, during which time he declared himself to be the first "bishop of bishops" (aka pope) of the RCC. And, as it says in Revelation 17, Rome gave birth to ALL of the protestant denominations (her harlot daughters) as well as "Islam". Muhammad Mustafa (peace be upon him) married Khadija, who was a Roman Catholic, when he was 25 and she was 40. Her cousin, who was called Waraquah, was also a Roman Catholic Meccan, and reportedly a priest.

It's amazing that anyone can actually be duped into believing that the very same race of people that destroyed Solomon's Temple twice and crucified Jesus have somehow magically been transformed into the emissaries of God (2 Cor. 11:13-15). One would think all of their overtly idolatrous and pagan practices, like X-mas, and Ishtar/Easter, would have been sufficient to motivate their followers to seek the truth about The Great Whore.

phipps

Star
Chapter 2 of Revelation introduces us to seven letters that were written to the seven Christian churches that sprang up throughout Asia Minor. The chapter has letters written to four churches which are Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos and Thyatira. The Nicolaitans are written of in Ephesus and Pergamos.

The message to the church in Ephesus begins by commendation for their patience, loving the truth and hating that which is evil, and testing those who say they are apostles but are not, followed by a rebuke for leaving their first love and then it goes on to say, "But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate" (Revelation 2:6). Here they are commended because they hate the deeds of ‘the Nicolaitans’, which God says He also hates.

In the message to the church of Pergamos, they are first commended for not denying the faith, followed by a rebuke because there were some among them that held false doctrines. "But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. Thus you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate" (Revelation 2:14-15). Unlike the Ephesian Church, Pergamos had compromised their beliefs because the Nicolaitans were right inside the church.

The Nicolaitans claimed to be Christian but taught that obedience to God’s law was unnecessary. They taught that it didn't matter what one did in the body; that had no bearing on one's salvation. Therefore one could do all sorts of immoral things without fear of consequence with God. They also taught that Christ was not part of the deity.

Sadly the doctrine of the Nicolaitans is being taught in many Christian churches today. They teach that the gospel of Christ has made the law of God is no longer binding upon us, that all we have to do to be saved is "believe." They ignore the teaching in the book James that says "faith without works (obedience) is dead" (James 2:14-26). It also says, "But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves" (James 1:22). They ignore Revelation, which promises wonderful things to those who "overcome." What are they overcoming, if not sin? They ignore Paul's love for the law, saying "Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good" (Romans 7:12).

The book of Revelation is about end time prophecy so although these churches did exist there is a spiritual application for us in these last days. The doctrine of "once saved always saved" is a doctrine of the Nicolaitans which God hates! This doctrine claims that Christ came to save sinners, and that he has saved them and no matter what they do they are saved because they gave their lives to Christ. Many who believe in this doctrine believe that we will be saved while sinning. They believe no one can overcome sin. This means that God is not as powerful as He claims in the Bible. It means He has no power over Satan.

Bent8484

Established
The doctrine of once saved always saved is a lie right... but the doctrine of Nicolaitans is swinging.
That's what I thought at first, but then I saw a reference to them doing it out of greed, I think in Timothy maybe, so I think they might have taken it a step further...

phipps

Star
Who and what were the deeds of the Nicolaitans? Here a few things I found on the internet that people have posted to give us more detail than the book of Revelation does. Here is what some people wrote:

1. Who were the Nicolaitans and what was it about them that so angered Almighty God? The term comes from two Greek words which mean "victory over the laity" a religious dictatorship that allowed little or no freedom to its members. This is precisely what the Holy Spirit had in mind when he told the church elders not to be lords over God's heritage, but examples to the flock (1 Peter 5:3) How this message is to be emphasized in our day as religious leaders try to impose their man-made rules on each and every member!

2.The Nicolaitans were a loose sect who sheltered themselves under the name of Christianity. They held hateful doctrines, and they were guilty of hateful deeds, hateful to Christ and to all true Christians; and it is mentioned to the praise of the church of Ephesus that they had a just zeal and abhorrence of those wicked doctrines and practices. An indifference of spirit between truth and error, good and evil, may be called charity and meekness, but it is not pleasing to Christ. Our Saviour subjoins this kind commendation to his severe threatening, to make the advice more effectual.

3. That thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans - Greek, “works” (τὰ ἔργα ta erga). The word “Nicolaitanes” occurs only in Revelation 2:6, 15. From the reference in the latter place it is clear that the doctrines which they held prevailed at Pergamos as well as at Ephesus; but from neither place can anything now be inferred in regard to the nature of their doctrines or their practices, unless it be supposed that they held the same doctrine that was taught by Balaam.

4. The deeds of the Nicolaitanes - These were, as is commonly supposed, a sect of the Gnostics, who taught the most impure doctrines, and followed the most impure practices. They are also supposed to have derived their origin from Nicolas, one of the seven deacons mentioned Acts 6:5. The Nicolaitanes taught the community of wives, that adultery and fornication were things indifferent, that eating meats offered to idols was quite lawful; and mixed several pagan rites with the Christian ceremonies. Augustine, Irenaeus, Clemens Alexandrinus, and Tertullian, have spoken largely concerning them.

5. Of the Nicolaitans (tōn Nikolaitōn). Mentioned again in Revelation 2:15 and really meant in Revelation 2:2. Irenaeus and Hippolytus take this sect to be followers of Nicolaus of Antioch, one of the seven deacons (Acts 6:5), a Jewish proselyte, who is said to have apostatized. There was such a sect in the second century (Tertullian), but whether descended from Nicolaus of Antioch is not certain, though possible (Lightfoot). It is even possible that the Balaamites of Revelation 2:14 were a variety of this same sect (Revelation 2:15). Which I also hate (ha kagō misō). Christ himself hates the teachings and deeds of the Nicolaitans (ha, not hous, deeds, not people), but the church in Pergamum tolerated them.

6. But this thou hast. There is another ground of commendation. They hate the deeds of the Nicolaitanes. Opinions are not agreed concerning this sect, but it is probable that the followers of a Nicolaus are meant who taught that Christian liberty meant license to commit sensual sins.

7. The name, like other names, Egypt, Babylon, Sodom, is symbolic. Compare Revelation 2:14 and 15, which shows the true sense of Nicolaitanes; they are not a sect, but professing Christians who, like Balaam of old tried to introduce into the Church a false freedom, that is, licentiousness; this was a reaction in the opposite direction from Judaism, the first danger to the Church combated in the council of Jerusalem, and by Paul in the Epistle to Galatians. These symbolical Nicolaitanes, or followers of Balaam, abused Paul’s doctrine of the grace of God into a plea for lasciviousness (2 Peter 2:15-16, 19; Jude 1:4, 11 who both describe the same sort of seducers as followers of Balaam).

8. Nicolaitanes. One of the heretical sects that plagued the churches at Ephesus and at Pergamum (see Revelation 2:15), and perhaps elsewhere. Irenaeus identifies the Nicolaitans as a Gnostic sect: “John, the disciple of the Lord, preaches this faith [the deity of Christ], and seeks, by the proclamation of the Gospel, to remove that error which by Cerinthus had been disseminated among men, and a long time previously by those termed Nicolaitans, who are an offset of that ‘knowledge’ might confound them, and persuade them that there is but one God, who made all things by His Word” (op. cit. iii. 11. 1; ANF, vol. 1, p. 426). There is also historical evidence of a Gnostic sect called Nicolaitans a century or so later. Some Church Fathers who report concerning this sect (Irenaeus op. cit. i. 26. 3; Hippolytus Refutation of All Heresies vii. 24) identify its founder as Nicolas of Antioch, one of the seven deacons (see Acts 6:5). Whether the tradition concerning Nicolas the deacon is correct, we do not know, but the sect may be the same as the one mentioned by John. In the 2d century, at least, adherents of this sect appear to have taught that deeds of the flesh do not affect the purity of the soul, and consequently have no bearing on salvation.

9. Sounds to me that they have covered it all. Allowing multiple wives, sexual immorality etc.

Hippolytus of Rome states that the deacon Nicolas was the author of the heresy and the sect.[2] Several of the early church fathers, including Irenaeus, Epiphanius, and Theodoret mentioned this group. Irenaeus discusses them but adds nothing to the Apocalypse except that "they lead lives of unrestrained indulgence."[3] Victorinus of Pettau states that they ate things offered to idols.[4] Bede states that Nicolas allowed other men to marry his wife[5] and Thomas Aquinas believed that Nicholas supported either polygamy or the holding of wives in common.[6] Eusebius said that the sect was short-lived.[7]

10. Yes, although it seems more than multiple wives and sexual immorality. I just read this article that seems to link Balaam & Nicolaitans doctrines and claims such are not only present, but also prevailing in the times we are living in:

http://www.bibleone.net/BF07.htm

Don't we see this today? Groups (majority) of Christians that think the law don't apply to them since they have immunity by grace and can transgress God's law without suffering any consequences, teaching others so too :-S

11. Nicolaitians~In its native tongue and its ecclesiastical setting is that bishops and prelates of the church have gained a triumphal victory or conquest over the laity, until they have been compelled to submit to the arbitrary dominion of men, who have become that which God hates~Lord's over God's heritage. Niko~conquered; Laos~people.

In John chapter three, we learn of one named Nicodemus, who was a ruler, or master in Israel. His name fits perfectly his title, as names do many times in the scriptures. Nico....laitians~the name divides perfectly for us to understand. This should not be too hard to grasp hold of, and I do not believe that it is; men make it so hard for a reason. I leave that for my readers to consider as to why they do.

Please consider this point. What was only a deed, in the church at Ephesus, (Revelation 2:6) soon became a doctrine at Peramos~"So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitians, which thing I also hate. Evil deeds quickly turn into church doctrine.

12. I found this on www.wordoftruthradio.com, does anyone agree or have anything to add?

Nicolaitans: One of the heretical sects that plagued the churches at Ephesus and at Pergamum, and perhaps elsewhere. Irenaeus identifies the Nicolaitans as a Gnostic sect: John, the disciple of the Lord, preaches this faith (the deity of Christ), and seeks, by the proclamation of the Gospel, to remove that error which by Cerinthus had been disseminated among men, and a long time previously by those termed Nicolaitans, who are an offset of that knowledge falsely so called, that he might confound them, and persuade them that there is but one God, who made all things by His Word (see Irenaeus Against Heresies iii 11. 1; ANF vol. 1, p. 426) There is also historical evidence of a Gnostic sect called Nitolaitans a century or so later.

The doctrine of the Nicolaitans appears to have been a form of antinomianism. (Antinomianism: A belief that is based upon a recognition of the mercy of God as the ground of salvation, but it makes the fatal mistake that man can freely partake in sin because the Law of God is no longer binding. It held the truth on the gratuitous reckoning of righteousness; but supposed that a mere intellectual belief in this truth had a saving power. The Apostle James refuted this error in James 2:19 with the admonition, "The devils also believe, and tremble"; reminding us that true faith is an active principle which works by love and it goes beyond a profession of belief. "But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?" (James 2:20) The Bible teaches us that salvation is a free gift, based upon God's grace alone (Ephesians 2:8-9). However, the very next verse tells us that "we are created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10) True faith produces action, as well as a desire for holiness and obedience. (1 John 3:18, Titus 2:11-15, 1 Peter 1:15-16, Revelation 14:12)

Nicolaitans of the 2nd century seem to have continued and extended the views of the 1st century adherents, holding to the freedom of the flesh and sin, and teaching that the deeds of the flesh had no effect upon the health of the soul and consequently no relation to salvation. On the other hand, the Bible teaches that Christians are supposed to "die" to sin and the deeds of our "flesh": "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" (Romans 6:1-2). "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God" (Romans 6:11-13).

Today, the doctrine is now largely taught that the gospel of Christ has made God's law of no effect: that by believing we are released from the necessity of being doers of the Word. But this is the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which Christ so unsparingly condemned in the book of Revelation. "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." (James 1:22)

Seems like many who profess Christ have taken the anchor that is the Word of God and cast it aside. Very dangerous indeed as this Jesus says:

13. It appears to be what we call the teaching of 'Cheap Grace'...

14. So the doctrine of the Nicolatians has been served up as the main course affectionately known to some as "Once saved Always Saved"?