The Shroud Of Turin

Thunderian

Superstar
I just don't think there is any evidence to support the idea that it's the burial shroud of Jesus.

Trenton

Veteran
I just don't think there is any evidence to support the idea that it's the burial shroud of Jesus.
Well, all recent scientific studies done on the shroud indicate that it very well could be.

Either way I understand it isn't important if it is or isn't. It would be really awesome if it was though.

Thunderian

Superstar
It would be kind of neat if it was. It would certainly illustrate that Jesus didn't rot in the ground.

Trenton

Veteran
It would be kind of neat if it was. It would certainly illustrate that Jesus didn't rot in the ground.
One of the things that makes me wonder if it really is his shroud, is this...

If it was someone else's shroud, how did the negative image appear on the linen? It's never happened before. Cloth draped over a corpse doesn't leave a photo.

It isn't painted on either. It's not an art piece, (or if it is, it certainly isn't likely they could create it in the middle ages)

It seems to be the result of a split moment of intense radiation. And as we know back then they had no such technology.

So it is a scientific wonder, whether or not it's the shroud Jesus wore.

colson

Rookie
Totally fake. Just a set-up to make a 'DNA Jesus' out of the 'blood stains.'

The Shroud of Turin is actually what convinced me that the Resurrection is a historical fact. 99% sure the Shroud is legit.

What one can do is line up the arguments in favour of its authenticity to the arguments against it. Basically the only argument against it is carbon dating, but it's already been acknowledged that the carbon dating was performed on an interwoven piece of cloth that was the result of damage-repair after the Shroud went through a fire in 1532, therefore corrupting the data. I might present a list of the arguments myself soon if I find the time.

Another question one should ask himself is this: If it's a fake from the Middle Ages, how come one of the biggest scientific teams of the 20th century with one of the longest scientific experiments in history is completely unable to reproduce it and still clueless about what caused the image to appear on the cloth to begin with?

Well, all recent scientific studies done on the shroud indicate that it very well could be.

Either way I understand it isn't important if it is or isn't. It would be really awesome if it was though.
You mean it wouldn't be important to you since you already believe it really happened? Cause I was doubtful until I investigated the Shroud of Turin. Now I'm completely convinced and it changed my life.

Trenton

Veteran
You mean it wouldn't be important to you since you already believe it really happened? Cause I was doubtful until I investigated the Shroud of Turin. Now I'm completely convinced and it changed my life.

Ive spent a lot of my Christian life as a doubting Thomas. I won't deny that the shroud being real would further solidify my belief. But I try to take it on faith.

I spent a great majority of my life as a non believer. I didn't get honestly saved until last year, and that was the pivotal moment where I believed in Christ.

But my life as an agnostic, and Satanist, and other, like Taoist and stuff, left me confused and curious.

I knew that I thought for sure I had an experience with Christ, God and the holy Spirit. But I still didn't even know if there was a historical Jesus. I didn't know if I was foolish at the time.

I mean what is more foolish? Believing in my supernatural experience with God? Or stopping to wonder if Jesus ever even lived, let alone died and ressurected?

Now it doesn't bother me as much, what "foolishness" I wrestle with.

Even without physical proof of Christ, I've had enough experiences since being saved that make my faith unavoidable. I couldn't stop believing in Christ even if I tried my hardest to find evidence to the contrary about him.

I've tried.

Didn't work. There are no rationally explaining some things. A real "so be it" situation. Thinking now, I wonder what Laozi would say about my faith in Christ.

John 20:29
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

I'm at least greatful that I never even heard of this burial shroud until I received Christ. Strange thing is the holy Spirit will try to speak to you through others. I had a strange conversation with my Boyfriend (who doesn't believe) something about the length of Christ nose. He said "your nose is like, this big, (2") but Jesus nose is like, this big. (~3")"

It was a weird conversation... But later I was reading about the shroud, and in the link I posted above, there was mention in the article the demensions of the man. And it says his nose was 3 inches long.

IDK what I make of that...if it's just a really odd coincidence. To be having a conversation about the supposed length of Jesus nose of all things... Then only an hour or two later, read a supposed measurement of his nose matching the conversation.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I posted this clip up elsewhere but it was so interesting I felt it deserved it's correct place here too...

Looks like it might possibly be the real thing after all!

Trenton

Veteran
I posted this clip up elsewhere but it was so interesting I felt it deserved it's correct place here too...

Looks like it might possibly be the real thing after all!

I hope the church will agree again to retesting the charred samples. I really want to know!

It may be naive of me, but each time I see the image of the man's face, I do feel as if I'm genuinely looking at a photo of Christ.