The Running Man (1987)

No Heart

Rookie
check out this intro.

with films like this and they live, im not sure if i am watching science fiction or a documentary.
You should watch the tv movie from 1970 "The Game of Millions" ("Das Millionenspiel"), it was the first adaptation of the novel and you can clearly see, that the Arnie movie was highly inspired by it.

Btw., it looked so real back then, that people actual thought it was a documentation and sent letters to the channel, most people were angry, some wanted to participate.

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
not sure how it could be the first adaptation of the novel. the novel was written by richard bachman, a pseudonym for steven king in the 80s. i read the original-- its different than the film.

No Heart

Rookie
not sure how it could be the first adaptation of the novel. the novel was written by richard bachman, a pseudonym for steven king in the 80s. i read the original-- its different than the film.
The film "Running Man" is based on the Stephen King novel, that is correct, but that one should be based on "The Prize of Peril" of Robert Sheckley. Not sure if Stephen King knew of the "The Game of Millions" movie (I would believe not, since the Arnie movie is already not that close to the Stephen King novel), but I would guess he at least knew the novel.

polymoog

Superstar
The film "Running Man" is based on the Stephen King novel, that is correct, but that one should be based on "The Prize of Peril" of Robert Sheckley. Not sure if Stephen King knew of the "The Game of Millions" movie (I would believe not, since the Arnie movie is already not that close to the Stephen King novel), but I would guess he at least knew the novel.
i suppose it is hard to find an original thought in the literary world.

anyway, the original intention of this post was the introduction and the date. the concept that there is a small resistance movement "conspiracy theorists" still holding their ground is accurate in 2017. 30 years ago, in `87... not a person would have thought that the film would be so accurate.

No Heart

Rookie
I understand what the intention of this thread is, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to take a look at other adaptations, which as well very accurately showed, what the future of the showbusiness would be.

AMK

Rookie
This is one of my favorite Richard Bachman stories, also The Long Walk. The movie was similar to the book in only the vaguest way, I didn't like it. Maybe if I hadn't read the book first I might have.

polymoog

Superstar
This is one of my favorite Richard Bachman stories, also The Long Walk. The movie was similar to the book in only the vaguest way, I didn't like it. Maybe if I hadn't read the book first I might have.
yes! the long walk was a good one, and i enjoyed that implied alternate reality. the ending, however, was a bit anti-climactic, and there were a few undertones in it that i dont think belonged. i cannot imagine a film being made from that one.

AMK

Rookie
yes! the long walk was a good one, and i enjoyed that implied alternate reality. the ending, however, was a bit anti-climactic, and there were a few undertones in it that i dont think belonged. i cannot imagine a film being made from that one.
Yea I find that alot of Stephen King's endings tend to be weak, some worse than others. i actually got mad at the end of Cell, it literally just stopped dead, I felt like I had wasted my time.

Futility

Established
He wrote that when he was 19 so it has some problems. It is really unsettling, I thought the ending was good , i mean what else could happen?

Frank Darabont or whatever was going to do a movie of it but i havent heard anything in a while

Karlysymon

Superstar
Bump

....because the times demand it

I've come to the conclusion that some of these think-tank papers, too controversial for the public eye, end up as movie scripts. How many "normal" people sit around and daydream about scenarios like the opening lines in the OP? Scenarios that just so happen to materialize? Something an ordinary, normal person clearly wouldn't orchestrate because they lack the means to do so.

Bump

....because the times demand it

I've come to the conclusion that some of these think-tank papers, too controversial for the public eye, end up as movie scripts. How many "normal" people sit around and daydream about scenarios like the opening lines in the OP? Scenarios that just so happen to materialize? Something an ordinary, normal person clearly wouldn't orchestrate because they lack the means to do so.
If you're a science fiction writer, you daydream about all potential futures. Most of them end up being dystopian since current state of the world leads to cynicism.

As an aspiring writer, I feel a lot of non-creative people don't understand that it's not that hard to have insight in what might be. Telling a story how 9/11 was an inside job, before 9/11 as seen in the X-Files spin-off, Lone Gunmen? It's not so hard to imagine if you're aware of Operation: Northwoods, which book were written about in 1999.

polymoog

Superstar
If you're a science fiction writer, you daydream about all potential futures. Most of them end up being dystopian since current state of the world leads to cynicism.

As an aspiring writer, I feel a lot of non-creative people don't understand that it's not that hard to have insight in what might be. Telling a story how 9/11 was an inside job, before 9/11 as seen in the X-Files spin-off, Lone Gunmen? It's not so hard to imagine if you're aware of Operation: Northwoods, which book were written about in 1999.
i understand your point. there are organically derived dystopian tales from independent creators. BUT... most of these films fall into the category of predictive programming. hollywood is not there simply for entertainment. as luciferians, they must us know what they have in store for humanity.

Karlysymon

Superstar

I too understand what you are trying to say. Looking at currents trends, in any year, its possible for one to make an near-accurate prediction of what the future could hold.
But as an aspiring writer, how many of your sci-fi drafts have come true to a T?
What are the chances that the Black mirror episodes are somehow all being imitated by life?

After watching Divergent and reading about the author and how she came to write the series, i concluded that the chances of Hollywood turning your organic, sci-fi, dystopian work onto the big screen are high if the storyline is strongly in line with what TPTB intend to enact in the not-so-distant future.

A.J.

Star
The list, as it plays out in DM, has increased since, as biohazards we are moving to a no contact society....
No Sandra for you Sly. If you like it then you shoulda put a virtual reality headset on it!

A.J.

Star
The most glaring correlation between Demolition Man and the present day is one of the far-reaching policies: the lack of human interaction. In the '90s movie, all skin-to-skin contact has been outlawed: sex, kissing, handshakes, tight hugs, and even high-fives are a thing of the past. According to office Lenina Huxley (Bullock), physical interaction was banned after a series of illnesses and diseases ravaged the health of mankind and copulation was done out of the body at a lab.

This is ultimately about eugenics and genetic modification and enhancement
to ensure a superior race....
https://www.economist.com/open-future/2019/04/25/how-genetic-engineering-will-reshape-humanity

Last edited:

Karlysymon

Superstar
From 2013