The "retail Apocalypse"

Aero

Superstar
If massive amounts of companies really can't pay 15 dollars minimum wage, doesn't that mean their company just isn't very profitable? Why do we feel bad for companies who follow the same terrible business practices? Seriously though, people feel bad for the business owner if he has to pay an actual living wage.

So to put it into perspective. What we have is a ton of companies in America that are barely getting by. They are probably being propped up by a bank, or another company. Why is that ok? Like we are all helping them create this lie and hustle us. Because they seem like the professionals. They have the titles and the salaries so people just assume they must know what they are doing. But they don't.

polymoog

Superstar
We actually have more and more stores popping up that have banned the use of plastic, very refreshing I must say. They also allow you to get the amount of food you need, and therefor not waste anything because you can scoop exactly as much as you want. I think that should become the norm.
its a good thing, ladyN, but could be turned against us. its great to be conscious of the environment, but when the government starts imposing restrictions in the name of the environment, we must be very wary. did you see my post referring to that Orego! program in oregon? thats a shining example of how it can turn bad.
ideally, we should cut back on plastics and garbage because we should know that its the right thing to do without laws governing it. 100th monkey syndrome could easily accomplish that. its my opinion that the huge surge in people who want "rescue dogs" (dogs that have been rescued and subsequently adopted) is a great example. mass consciousness.

mecca

Superstar
ideally, we should cut back on plastics and garbage because we should know that its the right thing to do without laws governing it
Yeah but these kids of laws are the most beneficial. They're a good thing because companies can't just opt out of it and ruin the environment for everyone else. Corporations have to be regulated or else they will just do the cheapest thing and never care about the negative way they're affecting the environment because they only want money.
its my opinion that the huge surge in people who want "rescue dogs" (dogs that have been rescued and subsequently adopted) is a great example. mass consciousness
That's interesting.

polymoog

Superstar
Yeah but these kids of laws are the most beneficial. They're a good thing because companies can't just opt out of it and ruin the environment for everyone else. Corporations have to be regulated or else they will just do the cheapest thing and never care about the negative way they're affecting the environment because they only want money.

That's interesting.
mecca: companies will be companies. they will always find a way around it or pass the extra cost back on to the consumer. there is the additional concern that their new way could be far worse than the old. think of the sugary drinks in the past, the public outcry against sugar, and the companies respond with 'sugar free' aspartame. people are still drinking it. another example was the big outcry about the incandescent light bulbs- how they werent efficient enough. they gave us the mercury filled fluorescent ones, throwing off a lot of EM radiation. its true they are on to LED now, but who knows how long that will last.
the best way to change things is voting with your dollar. buy the right stuff, get others to do so, as well, and create the demand.

polymoog

Superstar
mecca: check this out. great example of this double edged sword:

ok, sustainability and clean energy are great, but making things mandatory? that sets a horrible precedent, especially when they throw in the word climate change as a reason. whether one believes it or not or if humans are responsible or not, imposing laws on the public for "our own good" is the direct path to totalitarianism (although we are basically there already).
"forced" anything is bad: forced sustainability, forced vaccinations, etc.

Lurker

Star
15 dollars minimum wage
What about the people that make 15-20 $/hr? Does their pay get doubled? It's not that companies can't afford 15 $/hr, it's that they can't afford to double everyone's pay without passing it on to the consumer.. That's inflation. That's back to square one.

Aero

Superstar
What about the people that make 15-20 $/hr? Does their pay get doubled? It's not that companies can't afford 15 $/hr, it's that they can't afford to double everyone's pay without passing it on to the consumer.. That's inflation. That's back to square one.
There would be some growing pains to this plan. I've talked about it a little bit before. Everyone won't get their pay doubled, but to be competitive companies will have to raise wages for a lot of people.

And there are other ways to increase profits. But so many companies are used to taking the lazy route. Of just cutting wages and hours from their lowest level employees.

Lurker

Star
There would be some growing pains to this plan. I've talked about it a little bit before. Everyone won't get their pay doubled, but to be competitive companies will have to raise wages for a lot of people.

And there are other ways to increase profits. But so many companies are used to taking the lazy route. Of just cutting wages and hours from their lowest level employees.
That's a problem. If someone is worth 2x the entry-level employee now, why should they settle for less later? Instead of cutting from low level, cut from mid level? That's BS.

Devine

Star
Oh no...Walmart is a beast too.

Noteworthy - credit cards are in a flux of change with chips and we will soon be told measures have to be taken to make them safer for the consumer. This can go in multiple directions, such as scans of eye iris to the dreaded RFD chips on our person via a kit sent to the individual.

Also, in Canada the minimum wage around Toronto is hitting 15 bucks. On the surface this sounds good and people need that much to survive but it means more independent stores will close in droves. The bottom line here is that governing policies help facilitate the BIG CORP dominance the retail industry. Once they have done so, free market is gone and they can control prices, quantities and basically us. They can facilitate crashes, MLAW and the rest in that our needs control use be it meds or food and water. I am not a prepper type but my guess is that water in time will become more valuable than we can possibly imagine for it is what truly helps us survive. No happy thoughts here...
thank you for opening my eyes about the new minimum wage so many things seem like a good idea on the surface!

Devine

Star
yeah why in all the talk of climate change are we ONLY hearing about reducing electricity usage? there are so many factors at play you don't hear as much anymore reduce, then reuse, then recycle :)

Lurker

Star
stainless steel ice cube maker
I remember those from back in the day. They SUCK!! I don't see why anyone would want them, other than nostalgia. If I can't have a real ice--maker, I want quality trays at least.

Aero

Superstar
That's a problem. If someone is worth 2x the entry-level employee now, why should they settle for less later? Instead of cutting from low level, cut from mid level? That's BS.
Yeah retail is like all politics. They will cut the hours of the people actually on the floor doing work. But not the guy sitting in a corporate office with his thumb up his ass? Your value is your title, and that's it. These aren't real people out here, but Robots. You take away any title form a manager and it will crush their soul.

It's like we no longer have real identities outside of our titles and that's how it was designed. Robots man.

Devine

Star
I remember those from back in the day. They SUCK!! I don't see why anyone would want them, other than nostalgia. If I can't have a real ice--maker, I want quality trays at least.
lol they do? i just HATE plastic so bad.
i made a joke the other day: when it comes to "natural" products, the best way to know if they are really natural is if they don't work that well. otherwise probably not :)

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
Last edited:

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
Meet Tally: The Grocery Stocking Robot About To Eradicate 1,000's Of Minimum Wage Jobs
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-26/meet-tally-grocery-stocking-robot-about-eradicate-1000s-minimum-wage-jobs

Amazon Hosts Robotics Competition To Figure Out How To Replace 230,000 Warehouse Workers
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-27/amazon-hosts-robotics-competition-figure-out-how-replace-230000-warehouse-workers
Missed this post.
Yuck, the Strauss music (which I do like) playing in the Tally robot video.