The purpose of life in Christianity

Axl888

Established
Question for anyone: If God told you "you believed, so you are saved, and you're free to take your place in heaven, but I am giving you the choice for someone else to take your place in heaven instead"

In this purely hypothetical scenario, what is your answer?
This is an invalid question for Christians because our God is not unjust, He does not give judgment or reward to those who do not deserve it. Only satan will give you such a choice.

Perhaps this will apply for other beliefs with their own god.

I see what you are doing here, it seems you are playing as the serpent in the garden of Eden :)

Stina

Rookie
Question for anyone: If God told you "you believed, so you are saved, and you're free to take your place in heaven, but I am giving you the choice for someone else to take your place in heaven instead"

In this purely hypothetical scenario, what is your answer?
Back when I tried to believe in the eternal torment theory, the idea of trading places did pop into my mind due to the fact that I hated to see people suffer. But when I thought about it more, I realized I'd probably end up hating that person/s immensly after eons of suffering because of them.
Feeling hate for someone is a horrible thing, or at least it is for me, it's more terrible to experience than enduring suffering for someone else's sake, so I realized I really wouldn't really know what i would do in that situation. I used to be able to switch off my empathy so I know how deep hate can run and how consumming it is, I'd basically end up turning into a monster if I'd take that person's place.

manama

Star
This is an invalid question for Christians because our God is not unjust, He does not give judgment or reward to those who do not deserve it. Only satan will give you such a choice.

Perhaps this will apply for other beliefs with their own god.

I see what you are doing here, it seems you are playing as the serpent in the garden of Eden :)
And how is it decided that who "deserves" it and who doesn't? What is that based on?

Axl888

Established
And how is it decided that who "deserves" it and who doesn't? What is that based on?
First, one needs to be saved, and in order to be saved, the Bible says

"If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved." - Romans 10:9-10

And then, all that are saved will be rewarded according to their deeds

“Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done." - Rev. 22:12

And for those who are not saved

“Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood." Rev. 22:14-15

manama

Star

"If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved." - Romans 10:9-10

“Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done." - Rev. 22:12

“Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood." Rev. 22:14-15
This makes no sense.

so only those who believe in the suicide, "deserve" heaven? That is cruel, not just.

Whatever LOL. It’s a thought exercise. Don’t strain yourself.

Back when I tried to believe in the eternal torment theory, the idea of trading places did pop into my mind due to the fact that I hated to see people suffer. But when I thought about it more, I realized I'd probably end up hating that person/s immensly after eons of suffering because of them.
Feeling hate for someone is a horrible thing, or at least it is for me, it's more terrible to experience than enduring suffering for someone else's sake, so I realized I really wouldn't really know what i would do in that situation. I used to be able to switch off my empathy so I know how deep hate can run and how consumming it is, I'd basically end up turning into a monster if I'd take that person's place.
Yikes those are some depressing and fearful beliefs to try to cling onto. Seems like an unfortunate neverending internal conflict that can only result in addiction to fear.

elsbet

Superstar
The prime of justice is equality not bias.
The 'prime of justice' is Optimus.

According to Oxford, suicide is the act of killing oneself, intentionally. Jesus did not, in fact, kill himself-- but it sounds edgy to some people to say that, I guess. :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with bias, either-- it is for anyone who believes. Even you, if you choose.

manama

Star
The 'prime of justice' is Optimus.

According to Oxford, suicide is the act of killing oneself, intentionally. Jesus did not, in fact, kill himself-- but it sounds edgy to some people to say that, I guess. :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with bias, either-- it is for anyone who believes. Even you, if you choose.
But he is God and he knew it was going to happen? Didn't God sacrifice himself for humanity, isn't that what you keep telling up? Isnt THAT what salvation is based on?

Because if it wasn't then God simply got murdered lol

elsbet

Superstar
Yikes those are some depressing and fearful beliefs to try to cling onto. Seems like an unfortunate neverending internal conflict that can only result in addiction to fear.
You posed the question.

Was it a setup to give this kind of snot-faced reply? From what I read, @Stina had already contemplated your hypothetical (that is not an option in any religion, afaik)--

If God told you "you believed, so you are saved, and you're free to take your place in heaven, but I am giving you the choice for someone else to take your place in heaven instead"​

Her (honest) reply is absolutely true, in any situation-- religious beliefs aside. Unresolved resentment will eat a person alive... so, to voluntarily walk into the situation would be self-destruction.

Would you destroy yourself for someone else? Or would you be inclined to do your best to get that person to accompany you? Or do you have a third option?

Would you destroy yourself for someone else? Or would you be inclined to do your best to get that person to accompany you? Or do you have a third option?
in this imaginary scenario there are two options, and I never mentioned anything about sadistic torture just that someone would take your place. Either way I would save the other person instead. It’s irrational to resent that person instead of the sadist who is actually committing the torture.

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
But he is God and he knew it was going to happen? Didn't God sacrifice himself for humanity, isn't that what you keep telling up? Isnt THAT what salvation is based on?
Because if it wasn't then God simply got murdered
It was a Sacrifice, yes... I'm glad you were able to answer your own question.

elsbet

Superstar
in this imaginary scenario there are two options, and I never mentioned anything about sadistic torture just that someone would take your place. Either way I would save the other person instead. It’s irrational to resent that person instead of the sadist who is actually committing the torture.
You didn't have to mention torture-- it is a given.

More importantly, though, why would you put someone in heaven against his will?