The purpose of life in Christianity

I'm interested to see what you have to say about this on this forum, also, how is Christianity not Nihilistic?

Stephania

Star
I'm interested to see what you have to say about this on this forum, also, how is Christianity not Nihilistic?
Excuse me brother, Christ always pointed ppl to God. I think you are confusing Christianity with anti Christianity..

Vytas

Star
Purpose is to become as much Christ like as possible within amount of time each of us are given. Purpose is spiritual victory over yourself through Christ. Some do better, some do worse... What it has to do with nihilism is beyond me....

Purpose is to become as much Christ like as possible within amount of time each of us are given. Purpose is spiritual victory over yourself through Christ. Some do better, some do worse... What it has to do with nihilism is beyond me....
In your worldview, what does becoming "Christ-like" achieve?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

Todd

Star
The purpose of this life is for us to come to the realization that God alone is worthy to be in control and that chaos is the end result of anyone other than God being in control. He has temporarily allowed the devil/satan/lucifer/the advesary, to become the god of this world to demonstrate the results when anyone other than God himself is in control. He has also given us as individuals the illusion of free-will so that we can learn that trusting in God alone and not ourselves is the path of life that he intended. By allowing us free will we eventually learn that we are not capable of properly ruling ourselves, let alone each other. Some learn it in this lifetime but most will not learn until the ages to come.

The purpose of this life is for us to come to the realization that God alone is worthy to be in control and that chaos is the end result of anyone other than God being in control. He has temporarily allowed the devil/satan/lucifer/the advesary, to become the god of this world to demonstrate the results when anyone other than God himself is in control. He has also given us as individuals the illusion of free-will so that we can learn that trusting in God alone and not ourselves is the path of life that he intended. By allowing us free will we eventually learn that we are not capable of properly ruling ourselves, let alone each other. Some learn it in this lifetime but most will not learn until the ages to come.
Now zoom back a bit more. What is the purpose of all of that?
You've basically only tackled the world's aspect of existence, which is only temporary.

The actual question is - “can you be satisfied with a true but limited understanding (by virtue of us being human) or would you prefer a complete but false idea instead?”
Again, if you're placing your entire worldview on a religion, you better well have a good understanding of what it means. So, what is your answer to the question?
Is Christianity nihilistic or not?

Haich

Superstar
The only thing I'd change is that Satan and his minions aren't 'God' on earth as they don't have any real power, only the power that we give them to influence our lives. I'd argue they are tireless deceivers who put obstacles down the path of righteousness, discourage us from getting to know our Creator by distracting us with the empty and trivial matters, pleasures and experiences of this world.

The actual question is - “can you be satisfied with a true but limited understanding (by virtue of us being human) or would you prefer a complete but false idea instead?”
On the contrary, “complete but false” and “partial but true” are both oxymorons. We tend to think of truth as a body of information, but information is not truth, it can only reflect truth through various degrees/layers of distortion. Truth is not something that can be portioned out, but you can certainly peel back the onion so to speak. When you peel a layer away, it is completely set aside and no longer relevant or useful in any way.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
On the contrary, “complete but false” and “partial but true” are both oxymorons. We tend to think of truth as a body of information, but information is not truth, it can only reflect truth through various degrees/layers of distortion. Truth is not something that can be portioned out, but you can certainly peel back the onion so to speak. When you peel a layer away, it is completely set aside and no longer relevant or useful in any way.
Partial but true is fine - I know you are fond of He-Man but know nothing of your taste in music!

Partial but true is fine - I know you are fond of He-Man but know nothing of your taste in music!
Yes, I thought of that Beatles song also. The lyrics are like word-soup so I don’t pretend it has some hidden meaning, which would be entirely subjective anyway. (Aside from the obvious references to other songs.) Incidentally, Dear Prudence is my favorite song from the white album.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Yes, I thought of that Beatles song also. The lyrics are like word-soup so I don’t pretend it has some hidden meaning, which would be entirely subjective anyway. (Aside from the obvious references to other songs.) Incidentally, Dear Prudence is my favorite song from the white album.
And from the same era, one of Bob Dylan’s songs I have a soft spot for...