The original diet of mankind and the Old Testament Dietary Laws, do they still apply?

phipps

Star
Nutrition (Diet)

Summary: What we eat is important. Most people eat things because they like them. And what's wrong with that? Shouldn't we like the things we eat?

Eating often represents good times, friends, getting out of the house, or family get-togethers.

But should the content of our food be thought about at all—or is taste the only criteria?

The fact is, eating intelligently does matter. What we eat affects us a lot. Our lifestyle and diet contribute to sickness and disease, and also affect our mood, our ability to handle stress, and our general well-being. And taste is not always a good indicator of healthy food.

The meaning of diet goes beyond eating the ideal foods. Indulgence of appetite and gluttony appear to be prevalent across the planet. At one time, people ate their own simple foods, or their own complex diet, depending upon where they lived in the world.

In some countries, people eat snails, rattlesnakes, brains from monkeys, and mice, all considered to be delicacies. What a sad state of affairs we have come to.

Here in North America, we now have a whole generation that has been brought up on junk-food meals consisting of hamburgers, colas, candy bars, and fried foods. This diet has not only formed bad nutritional habits, but it has taken away the liking for natural foods, which are so essential to growth and healthy organs. Consequently, we are experiencing new diseases that are even prevalent among the very young.

10 Tips for Healthful Eating

1. Eat a variety of fruits, grains, vegetables, legumes, seeds, and nuts (See A Vegan Vegetarian Lifestyle).
2. Avoid animal protein.
3. Limit fat, sugar, and salt.
4. Eat a good breakfast, a moderate lunch, and a light supper.
5. Don't eat too late at night.
6. Don't eat between meals—allow five hours between meals.
7. Eat at regular times.
8. Watch your combination of foods—don't mix fruit and vegetables.
9. Avoid refined grains.
10. Choose foods that will build good blood.

https://amazingdiscoveries.org/H-deception-health-nutrition_diet_food_vegetarian

phipps

Star
Water

Summary: Water gives us life. It is the source of healing, energy, and cleansing.

Water is an all-purpose cleanser both inside and out of the body. It is an abundant and effective agent for washing away dirt, germs, and bacteria. All our tissues, vital fluids, and secretions contain a large percentage of water. Water is of great importance in maintaining health. It is the basic component of all existing things.

A glass of water acts as a bath for the digestive system, cleansing and refreshing it. If we could follow the stream of water into the hidden places of our bodies, we would see it washing away the poisons in the blood that are circulating through the kidneys. The kidneys must work harder if the body doesn't get enough water.

There's Nothing Else Like it

Other beverages are unable to purify like water. Soda and coffee can no more clean the inside of your body than they can the outside. All the chemical processes by which the body operates require an adequate supply of water in order to keep the body functioning at peak efficiency. If water is not made available, the body consequently suffers and cannot do its work properly.

A lack of water dehydrates the fluids, tissues, and cells of the body. It causes the blood to thicken, increasing the risks of stroke and heart disease. Dehydration can mimic hypoglycemia, causing headaches, tiredness, and fainting spells.

Practical Advice

The body loses at least ten cups of water every day. The food we eat provides two to four cups of water, so we need to drink at least six to eight glasses each day to replace the difference.

Pure plain water is the best way to replace the fluid you need. Many sugar-laden beverages actually result in a loss of water from the system, because it requires more water to metabolize the sugar in a drink than the drink itself provides. Caffeine and alcohol are both diuretics which cause the body to lose water. You need an extra glass of water for every high-sugar, caffeinated, or alcoholic beverage you drink.

As much as we need to drink water, one time that we should NOT drink water is with meals. Drinking with meals dilutes the gastric juice and slows the digestive process.

The best time to drink water is between meals—20 minutes before a meal, and not until 2 hours after a meal—to obtain maximum digestion of your meal. When you are ill, drink plenty of water. This replaces any fluid lost during a fever and insures that every part of your body will function well.

Water regulates the body's temperature, acts as a medium for cellular reproduction, and keeps tissues soft and permeable. Water is the essence of life.

External water treatments can also be helpful, in some cases, in helping the sick get well. Hydrotherapy was the name given to these water treatments, which rally and stimulate the body in the healing process. Frequent bathing also helps our largest organ—the skin—to eliminate toxins effectively.

amazingdiscoveries.org

phipps

Star
Sunlight

Sunlight has had some bad publicity recently. The impression has been given that even small amounts of sun are harmful. While it is true that excessive sunlight can increase the risk of skin cancer and cataracts, sun in moderate amounts has many benefits.

Without sunlight, life as we know it could not exist. Fruits and vegetables that receive the direct rays of the sun grow much better than those that are exposed to artificial light. This also applies to humans. Those that do not get a sufficient amount of sunshine experience poorer health. Those who are daily exposed to the vitalizing effect of the sun's rays have a ruddy complexion and more vibrant health. Sunshine is the most natural and effective antiseptic available to us. Sunshine is also one of the most effective healing agents known.

The sun unlocks the vitamins in food. Without the sun's rays, we could not get the full value from our food. The sun's rays gives plants the ability, through a process known as photosynthesis, to take carbon dioxide and oxygen from the air and combine these into the basic food substances by which all things live. This is done by chlorophyll, the green substance in the leaves of the plants. We are unable to duplicate, or even fully understand, this process. Energy from the sun's rays also act on certain substances in the skin, changing them to vitamin D, one of the essential vitamins to the body.

Sunlight keeps our blood warm and pure and supplies life-giving energy to every organ of our bodies. Our brains are fed by sunshine-enhanced blood; our body is strengthened by the sun's energy.

Here are other wonderful benefits of sunlight:

1. Sunlight converts cholesterol into vitamin D, lowering the blood cholesterol. Vitamin D provides a host of advantages to the body, including prevention of many types of cancer and better calcium absorption, which in turn helps prevent osteoporosis and tooth decay, makes stronger denser bones, and speeds bone repair.

2. Sunlight kills many germs and enhances the immune system by increasing gamma globulin, and raising the number and effectiveness of the white blood cells which destroy germs. Lightly tanned skin resists germs and infection much better than untanned skin. Many skin diseases respond well to controlled doses of sunlight. For a clean, fresh bed, expose bedding to sunlight. It's better to let the sunlight into your homes and risk a little faded furniture than to keep the shades drawn at all times. The health of the occupants is more precious than any expensive furniture.

3. Sunlight soothes the nervous system and is important in treating depression. It gives a sense of well-being by increasing endorphin production in the brain.

4. Sunlight strengthens the cardiovascular system. It improves the circulation, lowers the heart rate, and normalizes the blood pressure and blood sugar.

5. Sunlight aids in digestion and weight loss, increasing the metabolism by stimulating thyroid production.

6. Sunlight improves sleep. Natural light exposure in daytime increases melatonin output at night.

7. The sick are greatly benefited by the sun due to its healing properties. Sunlight enhances waste elimination by improving liver function; it is an effective treatment for jaundice. It relieves the kidneys of some of their burden by eliminating wastes through the skin when you sweat.

amazingdiscoveries.org

Allegra

Veteran
amazingdiscoveries is a seventh day adventist website.

oops I forget you are one.

phipps

Star
amazingdiscoveries is a seventh day adventist website.

oops I forget you are one.
I know amazing discoveries is an adventist site, its not a secret that it is. So what's your point of telling me and others the obvious?! If I had tried to hide that fact, then you would have a reason to post this useless attempt at putting me down. I know your implications are that there is something wrong with the SDA religion but there is not if you knew much about it.

I am not an adventist however I adhere to their doctrine and I am not ashamed that I do. In fact I am glad that I found the truths of God's word. I don't care if you believe me or not. I am not here to convict you of anything. That is the Holy Spirit's job.

Also if you're trying to put me down for it like others have attempted to, you're wasting your time. Your trying to put me down says more about you than it does about me. Something about me makes you and others here insecure. Whatever it is, pray to God to help you get over it. I will continue to post God's truths here in whatever way I choose no matter how many of you try to stop me. God bless.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Exercise

Summary: Walking, and other forms of exercise, allow our bodies to do what they were made for.

We were created for action. Exercise provides greater vitality, extra energy, and longer life. Yet, for many, the greatest exertion of the day is getting out of bed, or walking from the kitchen to the garage.

We must deliberately incorporate physical activity into our lives to prevent sedentary habits from taking over. We live in a push-button society. It wasn't too many years ago that humankind walked a great deal more, chopped wood, tended gardens for food, and worked physically for a living. In past ages, people may have overworked their bodies, but exercise was not a major concern. Today, exercise is one of the most discussed but least practised subjects.

When we do not exercise, or get too little of it, our bodies suffer. Inaction of any of the organs of the body will result in a decrease in organ size, less muscle strength, and sluggish circulation of the blood.

Exercise is very important for every human body. A lack of exercise greatly impairs and reduces bodily functions.

Benefits of Walking

Walking, although one of the simplest exercises, has several surprising advantages:
1. Walking uses almost all of the body's 206 bones and almost all of the body's 604 muscles.
2. Almost everyone can do it without having to learn new skills.
3. It does not require any expensive equipment.
4. It is easy on the joints.
5. The pace is easy to adjust.
6. It can be done anywhere—from shopping malls to the great outdoors.
7. You can get fresh air and sunshine at the same time if you are walking outside.
8. Walking lends itself to socializing—make walking fun by including family, friends, or your dog.

An inactive body becomes sluggish. Only 37% of Americans regularly engage in some form of exercise, and over 72% are overweight. For exercise to be effective, it must be progressive, systematic, and habitual. Walking is an excellent form of exercise and can easily be worked into one's schedule. Regular exercise provides us with stronger hearts and lungs, increases metabolism, better digestion, sound sleep, the elimination of a multitude of physical ailments, and the needed energy to handle stress calmly.

amazingdiscoveries.org

phipps

Star
When King Nebuchadnezzar besieged the city of Jerusalem, thousands of Jews were taken away captive to Babylon. The king instructed his servant, Ashpenaz, to select gifted young men from among the Jewish captives who would come to the palace for three years to learn the language and wisdom of Babylon so they could serve the king.

Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah caught the attention of Ashpenaz and were taken to the king's palace. But there was a problem. The menu of rich meat and wine appointed for the young men contained many items forbidden by God's Word.

Without wanting to appear ungrateful, Daniel asked if he and his three friends could be given a vegetarian diet to eat and water to drink. At first the king's servant resisted their request. "You can't stay healthy by eating like that!" he exclaimed. "You'd get sick, and then the king would have my head." But Daniel gently persisted, suggesting a trial period of 10 days, after which their visible health could be compared with the young men who ate from the royal cafeteria.

This plan was agreed upon, and for 10 days the four young Hebrews drank water and ate a simple vegetarian diet. At the end of the trial period, Daniel and his three friends "appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king's meat." Daniel 1:15.

Three years later, these four young men were tested by King Nebuchadnezzar, and it was declared they were 10 times brighter then all the wise men in Babylon. The Bible tells us that Daniel lived to be approximately 100 years old. What helped give Daniel and his friends such profound wisdom, health, and long life?

amazingfacts.org

Last edited:

Susu.mochi

Established
Getting the Pork Out

The Bible tells us in Leviticus 11:7 that pork is an unclean food. God also told His people, “Their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch. They are unclean to you” (Leviticus 11:8). “Therefore Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you” (2 Corinthians 6:17).

Do you know what foods pork is found in? You might be surprised! While it’s easy to avoid pork chops, ham, and bacon, few of us realize how clever the food industry is in adding pork to our diets in the form of gelatin.

Gelatin in Foods

Where does it come from?
Gelatin is manufactured from collagen derived from animal carcasses. Leiner Davis Gelatin in Davenport, Iowa claims to have the largest gelatin manufacturing plant in the northern hemisphere. Their website states that they use the skin of pork and beef to make gelatin. The Gelatine Manufacturers of Europe website claims that they also use the bones of these animals.

What is it used in?
Gelatin is used in a variety of ways by the food industries. According to Leiner Davis Gelatin, it can be used as a gelling agent, thickener, film former, adhesive agent, stabilizer, or whipping agent. Another website states that gelatin is used in hard capsules, soft gels, plasma expanders, tablet binders and coatings, and vaccine stabilizers as well as numerous consumer food applications. The Gelatine Manufacturers of Europe websitealso indicates the major food uses for gelatin are jelly, bakery, meat products, fish products, confectionery, ice cream, alcoholic and soft drinks, dairy products, and yellow fats and spreads.

So, generally speaking, gelatin may be an ingredient in any processed food product on the market today, especially those with a chewy consistency or requiring thickeners and gravies. They are often listed as mono- and diglycerides on nutrition labels.

Products Containing Gelatin

Here are some of the foods that contain gelatin:

Confectionery products such as jubes, wine gums, and pastilles; aerated confections such as marshmallows, nougat, marshmallow-meringues, and biscuit and wafer fillings; sugar-pulled confectionery such as fruit chews, milk caramels, toffees, cream pastes, and licorice; compressed tablets; and lozenges. This includes frostings, icings, and bakery glazes as well.

Dairy products such as yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, cheese spreads, pudding, molded creams and custards, mousse, chiffons and soufflés, ice cream, water ices, milk ices and novelties, thickened cream, and margarine.

Gelatin Desserts such as “Jell-O.”

Meat Products such as cooked ham, canned meat products, aspics, sausage, decorative jellies, and glazes for meats.
Gelatin also has other food application such as gelling of canned seafood products; micro-encapsulation of flavors, colors, and vitamins; stabilizing of cream fillings for frozen baked products; protein enrichment of foods such as beverages and dietetic products; film forming in panned chewing gum varieties; coating of fruits meats and delicatessen items; thickening and emulsifying soups, sauces, and gravies; and thickening and stabilizing low fat mayonnaise and salad dressing.

Prions in Gelatin

Prions are infectious substances made of protein. They carry fatal diseases such as mad cow disease and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD). The American Food and Drug Administration has recently raised concerns about the safety of gelatin as a food product in light of the spread of mad cow disease. Gelatin is manufactured at temperatures lower than 200°F, while it takes a temperature of 800°F to destroy the prion that causes mad cow disease.

The mad cow disease prion is found most commonly in the central nervous system and bones of animals. Nerve tissue reaches all parts of the body, including the skin. As well, there is no safety in being selective about the parts you eat because the butchering process slices the bone and smears its contents across the face of the cut produced.

It only takes one prion to start trouble. Scientists have observed that a prion placed next to a normal protein will change the normal protein to a prion. CJD cases from Britain show that it only takes 18 months for symptoms of mad cow disease to show up in humans who ate infected beef.

The Bottom Line

If you want to avoid pork in your food, don’t eat commercially manufactured foods. Make your prepared dishes yourself. Make them from whole grains you cook yourself, legumes you prepare yourself, fresh and frozen vegetables, fresh fruits, and raw nuts and seeds you roast yourself. Obtain your sweeteners from dates, raisins, honey, apples, and jams, jellies, and apple “butters” made from 100% fruit without additives (pectin and citric acid are okay; they come from fruits). If you must add gravies or thickeners, make your own from flours, water or nut milks, olive oil, and herbs. Nut creams, nut milks, and tofu work well as replacements for milk and milk products in gravies and sauces. Many dishes can be prepared ahead of time and placed in the freezer for quick use.

If you feel it’s too hard to make your favorite dishes from scratch, try changing your menu plan. Train your palate to enjoy simple foods from natural sources, and your body will be healthier for it. Nutritionists today advocate eating a diet of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.

Eliminate sugary desserts, commercially prepared cookies, and candy from your diet. Replace them with fresh fruit, but avoid eating fruits and vegetables in the same meal. Eat healthy and stay healthy!
you guys we don't have to be tripping over what foods to eat and not to eat. Those where the old laws we are under a new covenant. If you want to eat healthy then sure go ahead don't eat pork. But if you don't want to eat pork because you feel like you should keep the old law then that is wrong. You are putting yourself under the old law and it is not pleasing to God. If you want to keep one old law then you have to keep all of them. So we are freed from that.

it's funny that 75% of jews are lactose intolerant
'land of milk and honey'
add diabetes to that.

phipps

Star
you guys we don't have to be tripping over what foods to eat and not to eat. Those where the old laws we are under a new covenant. If you want to eat healthy then sure go ahead don't eat pork. But if you don't want to eat pork because you feel like you should keep the old law then that is wrong. You are putting yourself under the old law and it is not pleasing to God. If you want to keep one old law then you have to keep all of them. So we are freed from that.
I already explained this so I will just repost what I posted but before that here is some scripture that brings the point home.

“Behold, the Lord will come with fire … and by His sword the Lord will judge all flesh; and the slain of the Lord shall be many. Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves … eating swine’s flesh and the abomination and the mouse, shall be consumed together” (Isaiah 66:15–17).

Do The Old Testament Dietary Laws Still Apply?

Summary: Common questions about the validity of the Old Testament dietary laws are answered in part 1 of this Q&A.

We have examined the original diet God intended for humankind, and the animals that God defined as clean and unclean after sin entered the world. Now we ask, why should we follow the Old Testament dietary laws in this day and age?
We will work through several reasons people object, and various Bible verses that seem to say we don’t have to observe the dietary laws. We must learn to rightly divide the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

Question 1: Aren’t these lists of clean and unclean animals just for the Jews?

Answer: Although the lists are recorded in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14, the first mention is in the time of the Flood.
There were no Jews on Noah’s ark. Only later, the descendants of Abraham become known as “Jews.”i So in the early days, God instructed them in the concept of “clean” and “unclean” animals. The list predates the laws of Moses, therefore applying to all humanity, not just one particular group.

Question 2: Didn’t Peter have a vision that told him to eat unclean animals? Wouldn’t this mean that the dietary laws were no longer in effect?

Answer: Note the following facts about the Acts 10 story:
A) Cornelius, a Gentile, received a vision instructing him to send for Peter.

B) Peter also received a vision before Cornelius’s men came to his home. He “saw heaven opened” and a sheet descending “down to the earth.”ii It was filled with unclean animals, creeping things, and fowls (Acts 10:11-12).

C) When Peter is told to “kill, and eat” he says, “Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean” (Acts 10:14). Peter was never taught by Jesus to eat anything “common or unclean.” He can’t believe the Lord would tell him to do this.

D) “Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean” (Acts 10:17). If the Lord literally told him to eat unclean animals, why would he doubt? Wouldn’t the change in dietary laws be obvious? Peter doubted because he realized the vision was symbolic—not referring to literal unclean animals.

E) When Peter came to Cornelius’ home, he realized, “God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean” (Acts 10:28, emphasis added). The Holy Spirit was given to Gentiles just as He had been given to the Jews on Pentecost. Peter learned that the Gospel message was meant for all the world, not just the Jews. The vision was not about dietary laws, but about giving the message to all—because no one is to be considered “unclean,” or unreachable by Christ’s redemption. The vision used unclean creatures as symbols of Gentile nations now called to come to God through the Gospel.iii

Question 3: Haven’t we been called to liberty in Christ, no longer under the slavery of the Law?

Answer: Since the dietary laws existed before Noah’s time, is obedience to them really “enslavement”?
Jesus told us that He didn't come to destroy the Law, but rather to fulfill it (Matthew 5:17). Good health and long life is anything but slavery.

Think of the history of these dietary laws: First, they are given to humankind before the days of Noah. Then, the Lord tells His people that they will be disease-free if they follow His laws (Exodus 15:26). The clean and unclean foods are clearly defined in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14. Peter’s visions hows us that Jesus did not abolish clean and unclean.

Paul tells believers to“touch not the unclean thing” and the Lord will receive them. John speaks of spiritual Babylon as a “cage of every unclean and hateful bird."In Isaiah’s prophesy of the new earth after the return of Christ, those who eat “swine’s flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together” (Isaiah 66:17). From one end of the Bible to the other, the concept of clean and unclean is upheld. It is a matter of health and well-being, not slavery.

Our modern world equates “freedom” with doing whatever we wish, but God calls us to a higher standard. Paul tells us to “use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another” (Galatians 5:13). Jesus tells us “If ye love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15). Peter tells us“the Spirit of Christ” was in the prophets of old, meaning that the dietary laws are the words of Christ.
For the sake of showing our love to the Lord by obeying Him, as well as escaping disease by observing His dietary laws—let us honor God by following His rules for health and happiness.iv Do we really want to ignore these health laws? If we do, we do so to our own peril.

God cares about our health since he created man and He told us which foods are safe to eat and are healthy because of that. We might live in a sinful world but God wants us to live to the best of our abilities spiritually, mentally, physically and emotionally till He comes back for us. If the body is misused, the mind and the spiritual nature cannot become what God planned they should be and we won’t be able to live an abundant life. “Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31).

The health laws still matter and were not part of the old covenant. God told Noah to make a distinction between clean and unclean animals when they were brought onto the ark. So this was not a Mosaic Law. It predates Moses by hundreds of years. Noah was not a Jew. Pigs are still unclean today as they were then. God does not change His Word ever.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
@Susu.mochi,

There is a misunderstanding of what the old Covenant was and what it entailed. The old covenant was a set of two way promises that God made with the Israelites. The Israelites promised to obey all of God’s laws and abide by the judgments read to them in order to receive the benefits God promised them (Exodus 24:7-8). It therefore took the form of a contract that involved two promises, one from God and one from the people.

The old covenant was radically different from the everlasting laws made before that, which were one-sided promises. For example the Abrahamic covenants and the health laws which were given before the Old covenant. Moses wrote about the health laws but they were not under the old covenant and should still be followed till Christ returns.

Last edited:

Stina

Rookie
it's funny that 75% of jews are lactose intolerant
'land of milk and honey'
add diabetes to that.

That's hilarious. I just had to look it up, and not only is it true but in the first Search Result that I got it also said that a high percentage of them are also afflicted with... Celiac disease

phipps

Star
We do not need to eat meat to survive.

The Bible blesses us with proof that the Biblical diet is not only spiritually better for us, it's physically and mentally better as well. Notice...

Daniel 1:11-15,20 says, "So Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, “Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then let our appearance be examined before you, and the appearance of the young men who eat the portion of the king’s delicacies; and as you see fit, so deal with your servants.” So he consented with them in this matter, and tested them ten days. And at the end of ten days their features appeared better and fatter in flesh than all the young men who ate the portion of the king’s delicacies. And in all matters of wisdom and understanding about which the king examined them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers who were in all his realm.

Amazing how the biblical diet that Daniel and his friends chose was the best thing for their bodies.

One more thing to note here is that God fed the Israelites manna 40 years in the wilderness. Manna was not meat.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Best Coronavirus Prevention.

The BEST defence is for us to follow God's instructions which are: "proper nutrition, exercise, water, sunlight, temperance (avoiding things harmful to the immune system like alcohol and tobacco), fresh air, rest (proper rest) and trust in Divine power, which is also shown to be immune-enhancing.”

Last edited:

phipps

Star
China to Make Eating Wild Animals Illegal

On Mar 23, 2020 06:00 am

CNN, by Ben Westcott and Shawn Deng: A strict ban on the consumption and farming of wild animals is being rolled out across China in the wake of the deadly coronavirus epidemic, which is believed to have started at a wildlife market in Wuhan.

Although it is unclear which animal transferred the virus to humans—bat, snake and pangolin have all been suggested—China has acknowledged it needs to bring its lucrative wildlife industry under control if it is to prevent another outbreak.

In late February, it slapped a temporary ban on all farming and consumption of “terrestrial wildlife of important ecological, scientific, and social value,” which is expected to be signed into law later this year.

But ending the trade will be hard. The cultural roots of China’s use of wild animals run deep, not just for food but also for traditional medicine, clothing, ornaments, and even pets.

This isn’t the first time Chinese officials have tried to contain the trade. In 2003, civets—mongoose-type creatures—were banned and culled in large numbers after it was discovered they likely transferred the SARS virus to humans. The selling of snakes was also briefly banned in Guangzhou after the SARS outbreak.

But today dishes using the animals are still eaten in parts of China. Public health experts say the ban is an important first step, but are calling on Beijing to seize this crucial opportunity to close loopholes—such as the use of wild animals in traditional Chinese medicine—and begin to change cultural attitudes in China around consuming wildlife.

The Wuhan seafood market at the center of the novel coronavirus outbreak was selling a lot more than fish.

Snakes, raccoon dogs, porcupines, and deer were just some of the species crammed inside cages, side by side with shoppers and store owners, according to footage obtained by CNN. Some animals were filmed being slaughtered in the market in front of customers. CNN hasn’t been able to independently verify the footage, which was posted to Weibo by a concerned citizen and has since been deleted by government censors.

It is somewhere in this mass of wildlife that scientists believe the novel coronavirus likely first spread to humans. The disease has now infected more than 94,000 people and killed more than 3,200 around the world.

The Wuhan market was not unusual. Across mainland China, hundreds of similar markets offer a wide range of exotic animals for a range of purposes.

The danger of an outbreak comes when many exotic animals from different environments are kept in close proximity.

“These animals have their own viruses,” said Hong Kong University virologist professor Leo Poon. “These viruses can jump from one species to another species; then that species may become an amplifier, which increases the amount of virus in the wet market substantially.”

When a large number of people visit markets selling these animals each day, Poon said the risk of the virus jumping to humans rises sharply.

Poon was one of the first scientists to decode the SARS coronavirus during the epidemic in 2003. It was linked to civet cats kept for food in a Guangzhou market, but Poon said researchers still wonder whether SARS was transmitted to the cats from another species.

(Farmed civet cats) didn’t have the virus, suggesting they acquired it in the markets from another animal,” he said.

Our Comment:
God’s laws and commands are always in the best interest of His people. With outbreaks like the coronavirus, we can better understand why God forbade the eating of unclean animals in Leviticus 11.

Prophetic Link:
“If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord that healeth thee.”
Exodus 15:26.

Link

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
Topic:The original diet of mankind and the Old Testament Dietary Laws, do they still apply?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the only one that applies-

God said- "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything" (Genesis 9:3)

However from time to time he had to tell people to temporarily lay off certain stuff, possibly because of a livestock plague going around.

Tidal

Star
..avoiding things harmful to the immune system like alcohol and tobacco...

Yes, I've never smoked or drank but my Hell's Angel brother-in-law did both and once said to me "Huh, you're not a man if you don't drink or smoke".
He died of cancer a few years ago in his mid-60's, but I'm 71 and still around.. :)

phipps

Star
Topic:The original diet of mankind and the Old Testament Dietary Laws, do they still apply?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the only one that applies-

God said- "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything" (Genesis 9:3)

However from time to time he had to tell people to temporarily lay off certain stuff, possibly because of a livestock plague going around.
God told Noah and his family what animals were fit to be eaten. When he was getting into the ark, two of unclean animals got into the ark and seven of the clean. So we are not to eat everything that lives and Noah knew that too.

phipps

Star
Yes, I've never smoked or drank but my Hell's Angel brother-in-law did both and once said to me "Huh, you're not a man if you don't drink or smoke".
He died of cancer a few years ago in his mid-60's, but I'm 71 and still around.. :)
I've met many people who think like your brother in law. One of them died of lung cancer too. God told us to avoid such harmful things to protect us from illness and pain and for us to live healthful lives as much as possible in this sinful world. The Bible always has negative things to say about alcohol. God knows whats best for us.

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
God told Noah and his family what animals were fit to be eaten. When he was getting into the ark, two of unclean animals got into the ark and seven of the clean. So we are not to eat everything that lives and Noah knew that too.
Yes, some stuff I wouldn't touch with a bargepole even though Jesus said- "What goes into a man's mouth does not make him unclean" (Matt 15:11)
And Paul said - "I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself." (Rom 14:14)