The original diet of mankind and the Old Testament Dietary Laws, do they still apply?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
This thread was prophesied by Paul. What a great God we serve!

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;​

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;​

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.​

4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:​

5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.​

:p
#amen

phipps

Star
I’m sure you are familiar with Peter’s vision of the sheet with animals...

I found this interpretation on Wikipedia very interesting:-

“Simon J. Kistemaker suggests that the lesson God taught Peter in this vision is that "God has removed the barriers he once erected to separate his people from the surrounding nations."[1]:378 Kistemaker argues that it means Peter has to accept Gentile believers as full members of the Christian Church, but also that God has made all animals clean, so that "Peter with his fellow Jewish Christians can disregard the food laws that have been observed since the days of Moses."[1]:380 Albert Mohler, President of Southern Seminary, writes:[2]

As the Book of Acts makes clear, Christians are not obligated to follow this holiness code. This is made clear in Peter's vision in Acts 10:15. Peter is told, 'What God has made clean, do not call common.' In other words, there is no kosher code for Christians. Christians are not concerned with eating kosher foods and avoiding all others. That part of the law is no longer binding, and Christians can enjoy shrimp and pork with no injury to conscience.”
I am familiar with Peter's vision and it is explained in this forum since its one of the first thing people who think the diet laws were done away with bring up. God never removed any barriers at all when it comes to our health. He still wants us to be healthy physically, mentally and spiritually. The Vision Peter had was not about food. It was about Peter accepting Gentiles as God's people. But my post explains better than I can.

Question 2: Didn’t Peter have a vision that told him to eat unclean animals? Wouldn’t this mean that the dietary laws were no longer in effect?

Answer: Note the following facts about the Acts 10 story:
A) Cornelius, a Gentile, received a vision instructing him to send for Peter.

B) Peter also received a vision before Cornelius’s men came to his home. He “saw heaven opened” and a sheet descending “down to the earth.”ii It was filled with unclean animals, creeping things, and fowls (Acts 10:11-12).

C) When Peter is told to “kill, and eat” he says, “Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean” (Acts 10:14). Peter was never taught by Jesus to eat anything “common or unclean.” He can’t believe the Lord would tell him to do this.

D) “Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean” (Acts 10:17). If the Lord literally told him to eat unclean animals, why would he doubt? Wouldn’t the change in dietary laws be obvious? Peter doubted because he realized the vision was symbolic—not referring to literal unclean animals.

E) When Peter came to Cornelius’ home, he realized, “God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean” (Acts 10:28, emphasis added). The Holy Spirit was given to Gentiles just as He had been given to the Jews on Pentecost. Peter learned that the Gospel message was meant for all the world, not just the Jews. The vision was not about dietary laws, but about giving the message to all—because no one is to be considered “unclean,” or unreachable by Christ’s redemption. The vision used unclean creatures as symbols of Gentile nations now called to come to God through the Gospel.iii

There is more to this under the heading "Do The Old Testament Dietary Laws Still Apply?" shttps://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/the-original-diet-of-mankind-and-the-old-testament-dietary-laws-do-they-still-apply.4467/post-203561 and "Clean and unclean in the New Testament." https://vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/the-original-diet-of-mankind-and-the-old-testament-dietary-laws-do-they-still-apply.4467/post-203662

Unclean animals will always be unclean to eat.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Unclean Animals

God told the Israelites which animals they were not to eat. Without exception, all animals that consume “secondary material”—in other words, animals that eat animals—are unclean. These include the following:

Carnivorous Birds

All birds that eat other animals and do not have a crop are considered unclean.

Camels

The camel has no split or cloven hoof, making it unclean. However, this animal has a similar digestive system to the clean animals; so what is the problem? The camel had to adapt to a desert environment in order to survive. It underwent a physiological adaptation where instead of sweating and losing its body water, the camel’s body temperature rises to higher levels than before. This, unfortunately, allows the level of toxins in its body to rise to very high levels as well. This coping mechanism makes the camel unfit for human consumption.

Coneys

The coney, or dassie, is unclean. It is herbivorous, but has a poor thermo-regulator. Its body temperature does not remain constant throughout the changes in the weather during the year, and this causes its enzymes to be unstable, resulting in intestinal fermentation. This means that the coney’s meat is very acidic.

Rabbits

Even though the rabbit is herbivorous, Leviticus 11:6 states that it is unclean. The rabbit has a very enlarged caecum. In order for the rabbit to obtain sufficient nutrients from the plants it eats, it has to ferment the material. This requires a fermentation chamber with an alkaline environment. Since the rabbit does not have a pre-stomach, like the cow does, it has to use its enlarged caecum.
However, its caecum is sandwiched between its gut and rectum and most of the absorption of the nutrients takes place there. When the rabbit re-digests this material, it becomes coprophagous. In other words, it eats its own excrement. Consequently, the level of toxins in its tissues is far higher than in other herbivores. Bile salts, fatty acids, gases, and ammonia levels are all at unacceptable levels for human consumption. All rodents, and even the horse, fall into the same category.

Swine

In most modern farms, pigs are fed the worst of foods. On the biggest farms, the largest pigs are fed rotten eggs and chickens that died from disease.

Sometimes, pigs are kept in batteries where only a few pigs get the food. The rest of the pigs get only the droppings, which are extremely toxic. Any tissue from these animals makes them very unclean indeed.

Pigs have very high histamine levels. The connective tissue is very rich in sulfur, leading to increased blood acidity and osteoporosis because of the loss of calcium along with the sulfates. Research indicates that high sulfate levels, especially in meat-rich diets, are responsible for osteoporosis.

Research has found that at the time when pigs leave the farms, 56% of all pork samples are contaminated with salmonella. When "clean" animals leave the farms, only 15% of the meat is contaminated. When the pig meat leaves the abattoir, 80% is contaminated, and when it reaches the butcher, the level of contamination is virtually 100%. The "clean" animals have only a 40% contamination level by this stage.

The pig is certainly responsible for much disease. Many people are allergic to pork because of the high histamine levels, and pork also encourages the formation of excessive amounts of mucous in our bodies.

God warns us in Leviticus 11:26 to not even touch the carcass of a pig. Pigs have high levels of bacteria such as campylobacta and salmonella.

Fish

"And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you" (Leviticus 11:10).

Those fish that do not have fins and scales are either scavengers or pure carnivores, and are unclean.

The common snoek has scales, but as it is taken out of the water the scales fall off, so it cannot be classified as clean. Each snoek is also home to thousands of bladder worms, which are full of urea. This urea is what gives the snoek its distinctive tangy flavor that many people enjoy.

Insects

Insects that do not fly, or are further down on the food chain than the locust or grasshopper, are not for eating.

Mammals and Reptiles

According to Leviticus 11:27, "Whatsoever goes upon his paws," such as cats, dogs, rats, mice, and weasels, are unclean. All reptiles are also unclean.

God is concerned with the health of all His creatures: human and animal. Are the dietary laws God set out thousands of years ago still relevant?

Amazing discoveries.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Clean Animals

Hooved Animals

"And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron, saying unto them, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth. Whatsoever parteth the hoof and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud among the beasts, that shall ye eat" (Leviticus 11:1-3).

According to Leviticus 11, all clean animals are cud-chewers—cows, goats, deer, and other game. They all have a pre-stomach, or rumen, in which the food is pre-digested. The bacteria in the rumen is able to convert all the material into digestible matter. Only after this food has been thoroughly digested does it enter the real stomach.

Also, clean animals are all herbivores. They are, therefore, eaters of "primary" material.

Fowl

Birds that have a crop are also clean, since their food is well-digested and does not ferment.
The chicken is listed as clean since it originally ate only seeds. Today, however, the average commercially reared chicken is fed on fishmeal or carcass meal (reject material from the abattoir), and can no longer be regarded as acceptable.

Marine Animals

"These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat" (Leviticus 11:9).

Only fish with fins and scales are edible. These fish are generally found in deep or fast-running waters, and are mainly algal eaters. They also have an excellent detoxifying enzyme system.

Insects

Leviticus 11 makes it clear that of all insects, only the locust and flying grasshopper are for eating.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
This thread was prophesied by Paul. What a great God we serve!

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;​

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;​

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.​

4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:​

5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.​

:p
Paul never goes against God's word so you misunderstood him and I had already posted about this.

Question 3: Doesn’t 1 Timothy 4:3-4 tell us that we can eat anything if we pray over it first?

Answer: Let’s observe what the verses actually say:

"Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving" (1 Timothy 4:3-4).

Paul is telling Timothy about false believers who will “depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils” (1 Timothy 4:1). They are in error—no longer following the Scriptures.

1. Paul tells Timothy these false teachers will command people to “abstain from meats.” But what kind of meats? 1 Timothy 4:3 tells us these are not unclean meats but meats that “God hath created to be received with thanksgiving.” This cannot mean unclean animals, because they were never intended to be eaten!

2. These clean meats are to be “received with thanksgiving of them that believe and know the truth” (1 Timothy 4:3). Believe and know the truth about what? Obviously, the truth about clean and unclean animals.

3. 1 Timothy 4:4 says, “For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving.” This does not mean that every created being is permitted to be eaten. If this were the meaning, cannibalism would justified. Rather, this verse refers to the previous verse’s clean animals. Those who “believe and know the truth” will receive “with thanksgiving.”

4. 1 Timothy 5:5 describes the meat further: “For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.” Two things sanctify this food—“the word of God” and “prayer.” Remember this is the meat that false teachers said could not be eaten. This is in contradiction to God’s Word which listed the meat as “clean” (1 Timothy 5:1). By knowing the truth in the Word of God, and receiving these clean animals in a thankful manner with prayer, the true believers would obey God and not the “doctrines of devils.”

What would this passage be saying if it referred to unclean instead of clean food? Would it really mean that we could eat anything if we pray over it? Would we allow our children to eat anything, as long as they prayed over it? Not likely! We can expect God, our Father, to give guidance of what is good for us.

Camidria

Veteran
You know I spoke to God about this subject once as yet again there was people talking about this in such a way that they were saying if you eat unclean animals you will loose your salvation. Naturally it upset me a lot as this was hammered on again and again. So I took it to God and He gave me many scriptures...

He said to me that yes these animals are unclean and it is not good for your body to eat them, (He gave me a great example in the Word) but it shouldn't dictate or replace what is important - the fact that Jesus wants us to make disciples and help people come into a relationship with Him. He said I can still eat those foods but I must remember they are really not good for my body, He stressed again how important it is to focus on spreading the Gospel.

So with all that said - I eat a lot less of these food because of health reasons, I will not condemn others if they eat these foods, and it really isn't that important except for health reasons - all these things are a journey with God and not as important as a relationship with Jesus and making Disciples.

phipps

Star
You know I spoke to God about this subject once as yet again there was people talking about this in such a way that they were saying if you eat unclean animals you will loose your salvation. Naturally it upset me a lot as this was hammered on again and again. So I took it to God and He gave me many scriptures...

He said to me that yes these animals are unclean and it is not good for your body to eat them, (He gave me a great example in the Word) but it shouldn't dictate or replace what is important - the fact that Jesus wants us to make disciples and help people come into a relationship with Him. He said I can still eat those foods but I must remember they are really not good for my body, He stressed again how important it is to focus on spreading the Gospel.

So with all that said - I eat a lot less of these food because of health reasons, I will not condemn others if they eat these foods, and it really isn't that important except for health reasons - all these things are a journey with God and not as important as a relationship with Jesus and making Disciples.
No works including what we eat can save us. We are not saved by works. However works are a result of the choices we make whether to follow God or not. I am not saying eating the right way can save anyone. It can't, but God gave us certain rules about health and diet so that we can be healthy physically. He is concerned about our physical health and overall health.

"And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people." Matthew 4:23.

"Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers." 3 John 2.

The Bible teaches that our physical health is extremely important to God. Jesus spent as much time healing as He did teaching. As I've posted here, there are several Bible principles we can follow to improve our health and lengthen our lives.

The foods God told us not to eat are still not good for our bodies as they have always been. When God told Noah what animals would be going into the ark with him, seven of each of the clean animals would go in as opposed to the two of the unclean. This has never changed. Nor has God ever retracted those rules on health and diet.

Its good you eat less of those foods, and hopefully by God's grace you will stop them altogether. I have cut meat out of my diet too and its going well so far. However there is nothing wrong in pointing out the truths of God. In fact God will condemn us for not telling them. The Word of God is not easy to hear and preach because our carnal natures want to and do the opposite. Even in Christendom many of us do the opposite of the Word of God. Jesus and the apostles lost their lives telling the truths of God. Its never popular. So for me this is one of the ways of making disciples for Christ. I am not condemning anyone, simply passing on Bible truths.

God wants our bodies to be His holy dwelling place. Therefore we must choose to make them a wholesome place for His residence.

"Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20.

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1.

We should strive to live so that all of our habits--even our eating and drinking--will glorify God.

"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31.

"Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." 1 Corinthians 3:16-17.

"And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown." 1 Corinthians 9:25.

Temperance means completely avoiding things that are harmful and using moderation in the things that are good.

Last edited:
Sticking to the guidelines found in the OT Diet definitely provides some very significant health benefits.

Allegra

Veteran
Phipps, are u a Primitive Christian? I don’t know what is it called, Restoration? But in my Christian discord server, we had a person like u before who seemed to against or trying to compromise with a lot of what is generally accepted. He also argued with me about the divinity of Jesus Christ. Oh dear.

I’m just asking so I can understand where u come from.

No works including what we eat can save us.
It can help to save you from having to endure a lot of self-inflicted and thus unnecessary pain and suffering, due to having developped bad health issues in your body due to eating the wrong things, such as heart disease (from a lifetime of eating the wrong foods like pork and shellfish), etc. :)

Last edited:
Not to mention the grief you then also cause to others who care about you and love you. Them having to see you get sick, etc. and it (your selfish actions, in not wanting to follow The Law) causing not only you, but also them sorrow.

So you can see how not keeping The Law has its effects, and it spirals on and out from there, but it all comes back to the single (selfish) act of not wanting to follow God's Laws of Liberty, Good health and Freedom.

People who don't want to keep The Law are thereby just bringing everyone else down, just so that they can continue to be selfish.. doing what they want instead and doing things their "own" way (Satan's way, really)..

Thunderian

Superstar
Paul never goes against God's word so you misunderstood him and I had already posted about this.

Question 3: Doesn’t 1 Timothy 4:3-4 tell us that we can eat anything if we pray over it first?

Answer: Let’s observe what the verses actually say:

"Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving" (1 Timothy 4:3-4).

Paul is telling Timothy about false believers who will “depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils” (1 Timothy 4:1). They are in error—no longer following the Scriptures.

1. Paul tells Timothy these false teachers will command people to “abstain from meats.” But what kind of meats? 1 Timothy 4:3 tells us these are not unclean meats but meats that “God hath created to be received with thanksgiving.” This cannot mean unclean animals, because they were never intended to be eaten!

2. These clean meats are to be “received with thanksgiving of them that believe and know the truth” (1 Timothy 4:3). Believe and know the truth about what? Obviously, the truth about clean and unclean animals.

3. 1 Timothy 4:4 says, “For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving.” This does not mean that every created being is permitted to be eaten. If this were the meaning, cannibalism would justified. Rather, this verse refers to the previous verse’s clean animals. Those who “believe and know the truth” will receive “with thanksgiving.”

4. 1 Timothy 5:5 describes the meat further: “For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.” Two things sanctify this food—“the word of God” and “prayer.” Remember this is the meat that false teachers said could not be eaten. This is in contradiction to God’s Word which listed the meat as “clean” (1 Timothy 5:1). By knowing the truth in the Word of God, and receiving these clean animals in a thankful manner with prayer, the true believers would obey God and not the “doctrines of devils.”

What would this passage be saying if it referred to unclean instead of clean food? Would it really mean that we could eat anything if we pray over it? Would we allow our children to eat anything, as long as they prayed over it? Not likely! We can expect God, our Father, to give guidance of what is good for us.
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday ...

phipps

Star
Phipps, are u a Primitive Christian? I don’t know what is it called, Restoration? But in my Christian discord server, we had a person like u before who seemed to against or trying to compromise with a lot of what is generally accepted. He also argued with me about the divinity of Jesus Christ. Oh dear.

I’m just asking so I can understand where u come from.
I don't compromise with the Word of God. Just like Jesus and the apostles didn't and it cost them their lives. I am not perfect but I won't excuse my sins or anything else over the Word of God. I used to do that, but I can't do that any more. We are living in the last period of earth's history and most Christians compromise and even use and misquote the Bible to make their compromising stances. That is wrong. However I'm always aware when it comes to truth, very few want it and its never popular. Jesus and the apostles and many Christians through the ages who've been martyred can testify to that.

Also you don't know me, I'm anonymous on here just like you and all the others on these forums are, so don't compare me to anyone else. You don't know most of my beliefs (even though you think you do).

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday ...
You missed the part in verse 3 of 1 Timothy 4 that says, “which God created to be received with thanksgiving”. Paul was not talking about unclean or common meats. Verse 4 makes it clear that all creatures of God are good and not to be refused, provided they are among those created to be “received with thanksgiving” (clean animals). Verse 5 tells us why these animals (or foods) are acceptable: They are “sanctified” by God’s Word, which means they are clean, and by a “prayer” of blessing, which is offered before the meal.

The Bible says that people who try to “sanctify themselves” while eating unclean foods will be destroyed.

Isaiah 66:17
“Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves,
To go to the gardens
After an idol in the midst,
Eating swine’s flesh and the abomination and the mouse,
Shall be consumed together,” says the Lord."

Paul never ate any unclean or common meats nor did he preach they should be. I doubt he changed his mind either on the subject. So if you want to eat your "medium-rare bacon cheeseburger" you're free to do so but don't misquote God's Word to support your false doctrine.

Last edited:

Thunderian

Superstar
You missed the part in verse 3 that says, “which God created to be received with thanksgiving”. Paul was not talking about unclean or common meats. Verse 4 makes it clear that all creatures of God are good and not to be refused, provided they are among those created to be “received with thanksgiving” (clean animals). Verse 5 tells us why these animals (or foods) are acceptable: They are “sanctified” by God’s Word, which means they are clean, and by a “prayer” of blessing, which is offered before the meal.

The Bible says that people who try to “sanctify themselves” while eating unclean foods will be destroyed.

Isaiah 66:17
“Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves,
To go to the gardens
After an idol in the midst,
Eating swine’s flesh and the abomination and the mouse,
Shall be consumed together,” says the Lord."

Paul never ate any unclean or common meats nor did he preach they should be. So if you want to eat your "medium-rare bacon cheeseburger" you're free to do so but don't misquote God's Word to support your false doctrine.
You understand that we're not under Old Testament law, right? I can eat a bacon cheeseburger garnished with raw oysters if I want.

phipps

Star
You understand that we're not under Old Testament law, right? I can eat a bacon cheeseburger garnished with raw oysters if I want.
The health and diet rules are not Old Testament law, if they were why would Paul be talking about food received with thanksgiving and food that is acceptable to God?

And if you read the whole of Colossians 2 you will see that it was not about food but about ceremonial law. Those same verses are used to criticize sabbath keeping as God intended. Some Christians always say the Sabbath and the law was nailed to the cross. And you would understand if you read the previous verses. In the New King James version the headline for Colossians 2 from verse 11 to the end which is verse 23 says "Not Legalism but Christ". Paul tells Christians not to have a religion of legalism. He refers to “the handwriting of ordinances” which were nailed to the cross, and finally tells the believers in this way:

"So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ" (Colossians 2:16-17 NKJV). .

The previous two verses say, 14-15, "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it." Not about clean or unclean meats but it does look like it when taken out of context.

No where in the Bible in both the Old and New Testaments is there evidence that Jesus and the apostles did away with the health and diet laws which were not part of ceremonial law.

As I said you are free to eat what you want but do not use and misquote the Bible to excuse your choice of food.

Last edited:

Allegra

Veteran
I don't compromise with the Word of God. Just like Jesus and the apostles didn't and it cost them their lives. I am not perfect but I won't choose my twist or excuse my sins or anything else over the Word of God. I used to do that, but I can't do that any more. We are living in the last period of earth's history and most Christians compromise and even use and misquote the Bible to make their compromising stances. That is wrong. However I'm always aware when it comes to truth, very few want it and its never popular. Jesus and the apostles and many Christians through the ages who've been matyred can testify to that.

Also you don't know me, I'm anonymous on here just like you and all the others on these forums are, so don't compare me to anyone else. You don't know most of my beliefs (even though you think you do).
im not comparing u to a person i know, i just REMEMBER a person like u, so I'm asking if u also hold the same belief as him.

i just asked if you are a primitive christian or not if u are not then just say no. it's simple as that.