The Octagon

Swiftturtle

Established
Pretty much every social platform discourages debate. Sometimes it’s not pretty (yes, our definition of truth defines us all), but it’s important, and necessary if any advancement, or relationships out of respect, can be built.

Personally, I’ve had a bad experience with numerous spiritual ‘isms’...

1.) Christianity: a pastor counseling a woman for sexual abuse by her father that used that base to....start an affair with her. Also, hypocrisy runs deep. Adding to it- a lot of churches preach ‘Christ light version,’ which is detrimental, and I have to wonder if it’s on purpose at times. Most churches like their ‘bubble of feel good’ and don’t teach their congregation about Biblical deliverance. It was a HUGE part of Jesus’ ministry, so....?! Never the less, I personally believe in Christ, and acknowledge that we’re all sinners saved by grace- not of works, unlike every other belief -so I put my faith in Christ and don’t judge Him based on some of his followers bc human is human.
2.) Judaism: I’ve been lovingly welcomed by many, but I’ve also been looked down on for believing in Christ...most protestant Christians see themselves as an extension of Judaism, but I’m not convinced that that’s the general consensus. I say this after experiencing a Seder dinner where the Rabbi purposefully antagonized me- which I found bizarre.
3.) New Age: In my research, it seems like they borrow the pieces they like from each religion (obviously heavy on Hindu and Buddha). While I’ve heard it’s about chakra and peace, Jesus is demonized, according to many converts. The new age guy with the largest following (literally) became a Christian. What’s below the ‘good vibes’ surface?
4.) Islam: I’ve had the best, and worst, experiences. So focused on family/community that that part seems beautiful. However, a family member is a devout Muslim, and there aren’t answers for basic questions: why does the Quran say you can lie if it benefits Islam? Why is the prophet you hold in high regard a p***phile and war lord? How can you practice a religion that deems non Muslims as infidels, worthy for immediate death? How are you okay with how Islam dictates control/treatment of women? An impactful testimony is from the now deceased (stomach cancer) of Nabeel. Raised a devout Muslim, this isn’t his testimony, it can be found in full on YouTube, but this is a very small slice:
5.) Atheism: I’ve caught a lot of flack for this before, but Atheism is literally registered w/the gov as a religion. While it’s someone’s choice what they believe, my personal experience has never been positive. I’ve been called an idiot (to put it mildly), even though I’ve never been the one to instigate a debate. I’ve had ppl just hear that I’m a Christian and their eyes focus in on me with anger. If no God exists in their world, why does it even matter? Why the hatred? Why not just go about your life with the peace of feeling that you’re right? I’ll never understand the reaction I get every...single...time. It makes me wonder if they’re trying to convince me, or themselves.

So, why do you personally believe your truth is the right one?

In fairness, I’m a Christian, and my faith stands strong bc I’ve never seen the gospel fail. No religion can find any sinful fault with Jesus, and He continues to amaze me every day. The crux of my faith is dependent on the crucifixion, resurrection, and return to heaven being true...according to multiple historians, it’s the most documented historical account in history across 4 different “kingdoms/cultures.” (The usual precedent for verification is 2 accounts from different cultures that are the exact same...and Jesus has 4).

I hear a lot about the underground Christian movement in Iran & China. It makes me wonder about the future.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Also, hypocrisy runs deep.
What are some examples of this...it’s such a broad generalization.
Adding to it- a lot of churches preach ‘Christ light version,’ which is detrimental, and I have to wonder if it’s on purpose at times. Most churches like their ‘bubble of feel good’ and don’t teach their congregation about Biblical deliverance.
I believe the answer to that question is they want to be a big mega church and to do that one must teach Christian light. The gospel saves but it’s not that feel good talk that most people like to hear...so churches go around that to more pleasant talk.

so I put my faith in Christ and don’t judge Him based on some of his followers bc human is human
And we humans are all God has to work with.

Judaism: I’ve been lovingly welcomed by many, but I’ve also been looked down on for believing in Christ...most protestant Christians see themselves as an extension of Judaism, but I’m not convinced that that’s the general consensus. I say this after experiencing a Seder dinner where the Rabbi purposefully antagonized me- which I found bizarre.
Perhaps it’s what Paul talks about when he says that God brought salvation to the gentiles to make them jealous? I didnt know that most Protestants see themselves as an extension of Judaism, maybe they don’t understand what Paul wrote in Romans?

Islam: I’ve had the best, and worst, experiences. So focused on family/community that that part seems beautiful. However, a family member is a devout Muslim, and there aren’t answers for basic questions: why does the Quran say you can lie if it benefits Islam? Why is the prophet you hold in high regard a p***phile and war lord? How can you practice a religion that deems non Muslims as infidels, worthy for immediate death? How are you okay with how Islam dictates control/treatment of women?
I do wonder at the people who believe islam because it’s very teachings are so evil compared to Biblical teaching...what kind of people must these people really be?

Age: In my research, it seems like they borrow the pieces they like from each religion (obviously heavy on Hindu and Buddha). While I’ve heard it’s about chakra and peace, Jesus is demonized, according to many converts.
I was reading that they want the people who don’t believe in new age teachings...making a jump to a higher plane to die so it doesn’t affect the rest of them..making the scriptures true..all those who hate me love death. Islam is also a good example of this, also.

It makes me wonder if they’re trying to convince me, or themselves.
No doubt! They must deep down know there is a God to be so upset at the thought of someone else believing....but I think that’s what upsets people about Christians anyway, we believe and that exposes the lies within them.

So, why do you personally believe your truth is the right one?
I believe Christianity is true because I believed the Bible, believed on Jesus and was then taken on a journey with God. So it’s a combination of belief and also an experience with God. That God has transformed my hateful, depressive thinking, my suicidal tendencies and has taught me to hope in Him and that’s transformative!

I hear a lot about the underground Christian movement in Iran & China. It makes me wonder about the future.
What do you mean?