The Matrix

Moreaboutyou

Established
What are the odds that we are living in a simulation? What are the implications of this being true?

Can someone dumb this concept down and explain how this could be true?

Watchin

I believe it is Elon Musk who has said that since video games and simulations are becoming ever more realistic, it is likely that we will eventually be able to create programs that mirror our lives identically. Which means that it is probable that has already happened before and we are that simulation. Just food for thought.

Moreaboutyou

Established
I believe it is Elon Musk who has said that since video games and simulations are becoming ever more realistic, it is likely that we will eventually be able to create programs that mirror our lives identically. Which means that it is probable that has already happened before and we are that simulation. Just food for thought.
Very interesting. Where does God come into play with this idea? If we are in a simulation is God obsolete?

Scars512

Established
Very interesting. Where does God come into play with this idea? If we are in a simulation is God obsolete?
In a simulation, God would either be the person playing the game (if the simulation is set up like that) or the programmer(s) who designed the simulation.

Scars512

Established
When the Matrix movies first came out, I was quite taken with this concept. But, I've come to believe that this is merely another way to get us to buy into the whole nihilistic worldview that they are pushing. Think about it, if we are merely characters in a simulation, then what we do isn't "real" and we also have no control over it because we aren't independent actors. That frees us to do a lot of bad stuff because, hey, it is just pretend and if we mess things up too much, the simulation can always be rebooted. Morality and compassion and other such concepts are useless in a simulated environment if the rules of the game are "survival of the fittest".

I think (just my humble opinion, of course) that it is offered as another distraction to those who are trying to figure out who or what is the controlling power of this world. If we aren't willing to conform, then we will just be given an endless maze of theories and conspiracies to keep us busy and neutralize any potential threat we might pose to their success.

Aero

Superstar
Well if life is a simulation then maybe modern computing can give us some clues. Simply put to function at the most basic level, every computer needs power, storage, and a display.

All the power in the universe seems to come from the stars. However, I could also argue that kinetic energy is a contender. I mean entire galaxies move around and smash into each other. Of course, there are other potential power sources. But the point is that they are out there. There's the power to run infinite computers.

As far as storage goes, there's obviously ample space out there. The universe continues to expand, and that means more types of lifeforms. I bring up life because I think it plays a critical part in running a universal simulation. Lifeforms are what store and dissect information.

Visually speaking, light provides the transfer of signals from the power source. Although I should say this is a rough draft of a theory. Light may not be required to send visual signals. Plus it's probably more accurate to say a computer doesn't really need to display anything. The display is only to the benefit of the user.

polymoog

Superstar
Well if life is a simulation then maybe modern computing can give us some clues. Simply put to function at the most basic level, every computer needs power, storage, and a display.
this is true, but a computer will never be able to process consciousness and creativity. both of those are the underlying factors in understanding where and why and how we are here.

Moreaboutyou

Established
When the Matrix movies first came out, I was quite taken with this concept. But, I've come to believe that this is merely another way to get us to buy into the whole nihilistic worldview that they are pushing. Think about it, if we are merely characters in a simulation, then what we do isn't "real" and we also have no control over it because we aren't independent actors. That frees us to do a lot of bad stuff because, hey, it is just pretend and if we mess things up too much, the simulation can always be rebooted. Morality and compassion and other such concepts are useless in a simulated environment if the rules of the game are "survival of the fittest".

I think (just my humble opinion, of course) that it is offered as another distraction to those who are trying to figure out who or what is the controlling power of this world. If we aren't willing to conform, then we will just be given an endless maze of theories and conspiracies to keep us busy and neutralize any potential threat we might pose to their success.
WOW! that was so well thought out. I really jive with that thought. We have so many distractions and ideals that go against everything that we should cling to.

I've never thought about this concept like that though, thank you for sharing. It was profound.

Moreaboutyou

Established

All the power in the universe seems to come from the stars. However, I could also argue that kinetic energy is a contender. I mean entire galaxies move around and smash into each other. Of course, there are other potential power sources. But the point is that they are out there. There's the power to run infinite computers.

As far as storage goes, there's obviously ample space out there. The universe continues to expand, and that means more types of lifeforms. I bring up life because I think it plays a critical part in running a universal simulation. Lifeforms are what store and dissect information.

Visually speaking, light provides the transfer of signals from the power source. Although I should say this is a rough draft of a theory. Light may not be required to send visual signals. Plus it's probably more accurate to say a computer doesn't really need to display anything. The display is only to the benefit of the user.
What a response! Thank you for breaking that down for me.