The Mark of the Beast according to the Bible.

phipps

Star

The last two verses of Revelation 13 say, "... and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666" (verses 17-18).

Many confuse the mark of the beast with the number of the beast, but verse 17 makes a clear distinction between the two. They are two separate symbols. The number of the beast is 666, but the mark of the beast is different (it will be the observance of a religious law, enforced by the United States and other governments around the world, endorsing the authority of the papacy). It appears that some receive 666 as a sign of submission, while the great majority receive "the mark of the beast."

Verse 18 also clearly states that the number is a man’s, but also the beast’s. The number 666 applies to the papacy and is the number of a man (the supreme ruler of that kingdom/power), bringing it in line with the “man of sin” recorded in the Scriptures.

One of the pope’s titles is said to be Vicarius Filii Dei, Vicar of the Son of God.” In Latin, the language of Catholicism, some of the letters double as numbers, and the numerical value of Vicarius Filii Dei adds up to 666, and a great many Bible scholars believe that this is how 666 is to be interpreted.

Count the number of: Vicarius Filii Dei

I=1; V or U=5; L=50; C=100; D=500

” Vicarius Filii Dei “

V=5 I=1 C=100 A=0 R=0 I=1 U=5 S=0 F=0 I=1 L=50 I=1 I=1 D=500 E=0 I=1

5 + 1 + 100 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 5 + 0 0 + 1 + 50 + 1 + 1 500 + 0 + 1

= 112 = 53 = 501

112 + 53 + 501 = 666

Philippe Labbe, a Jesuit writer, in his historical work Sacrosancta Concilia and Regiam Editionem Exacta, vol. 1, 1534 (Paris 1671), used “Vicarius Filii Dei” as the official title of the pope.

“What are the letters supposed to be in the Pope’s crown, and what do they signify, if anything?

“The letters inscribed in the Pope’s miter are these: Vicarius Filii Dei, which is the Latin for Vicar of the Son of God. Catholics hold that the Church which is a visible society must have a visible head. Christ, before His ascension into heaven, appointed St. Peter to act as His representative. Upon the death of Peter the man who succeeded to the office of Peter as Bishop of Rome, was recognized as the head of the Church. Hence to the Bishop of Rome, as head of the Church, was given the title of ‘Vicar of Christ.’

“Enemies of the Papacy denounce this title as a malicious assumption. But the Bible informs us that Christ did not only give His Church authority to teach, but also to rule. Laying claim to the authority to rule in Christ’s spiritual kingdom, in Christ’s stead, is not a whit more malicious than laying claim to the authority to teach in Christ’s name. And this every Christian minister does.” Our Sunday Visitor, April 18, 1915, thirteenth question under “Bureau of Information,” on page 3.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Three Angels’ Messages, God's final warnings.

The three angels messages of Revelation 14 are of the utmost importance for the world. They are God’s last call to the world before Christ comes back for His people.

The First Angel’s Message: "Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people— saying with a loud voice, “Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water” (Revelation 14:6-7).

This angel has the “everlasting gospel” to preach “to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people.” The attacks of Satan had so weakened God’s true church that to all appearances the gospel commission, to take the good news to the whole world (Matthew 28:19-20), could ever be fulfilled; but God’s purposes will go forward to completion. In the early 1800s God worked through faithful men to create a mighty advancement in spiritual fervour. This hastened the good news of the gospel forward by leaps and bounds throughout the world. Christ prophesied that “this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all world…and then shall the end come” (Matthew 24:14).

The gospel is the good news of salvation by grace, through Christ’s sacrificial life, death and resurrection. John 3:16-17; Romans 1:3-5; 3:23-24. But notice what this angel says under the heading of the gospel: “Fear God,” “Give glory to Him,” “The hour of His judgment is come,” and “Worship Him” as the Creator. To “fear God” is to depart from evil and reverence Him. Exodus 20:20; Proverbs 3:7; 14:16, 27; 16:6.

God’s glory is the perfection of His character expressed in His wonderful goodness and wisdom, in His matchless love, justice and power. Exodus 22:18-19; 34:5-6. We “give glory to God” when we worship Him, show Him respect and demonstrate faith in Him. We glorify Him when our lives represent His character through our love for others, and our obedience to His commandments. 1 Corinthians 10:31; 6:18-20; Matthew 5:16; Romans 4:20.

This is the judgment that was described in Daniel 7:9-10. The purpose of the judgment is to vindicate God’s people and condemn the powers that are persecuting them. It is often called the pre-advent judgment, in which the books of record are investigated, to determine the fate of each professed believer in God. In the 1820s Godly men around the world began preaching the message, “The hour of His judgment is come,” applying it to the second coming of Christ.

The angel bids mankind to “worship” God as the Creator of all things. Contrast this with the warning against worshipping the beast and his image in the third angel’s message. The first four commandments of the Decalogue (Exodus 20:3-11) are at issue here. The beast’s demand for worship is a violation of the first commandment: “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” Exodus 20:3. Worshipping an image is a violation of the second commandment against the worship of images. Exodus 20:4-5. The first angel specifically cites the Sabbath commandments “worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea.” Exodus 20:8-11. Thus the command of worship God applies to keeping the first four commandments, especially the Sabbath command, which is a memorial of creation. Exodus 20:4-11.

The Second Angel’s Message: "And another angel followed, saying, “Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she has made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication” (Revelation 14:8).

Because God mixed up the people’s language at the tower of Babel, the term “Babylon” has come to mean confusion. Genesis 11:1-9. The ancient kingdom of Babylon took God’s people captive and has long been recognized as the enemy of God’s truth and of His people. Jeremiah 50-51. God uses the term here as reference to the doctrinal confusion in the modern churches. The announcement that “Babylon is fallen” refers to their departure from Bible truth. In a larger sense, “Babylon” encompasses all the systems of false religion in the world. Revelation 17:4, 5;18:2.

The Third Angel's Message: "Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name” (Revelation 14:9-11).

The third angel gives a fearful warning to those who “worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark.” Those who drink the wine of Babylon’s impure doctrines will “drink the wine of the wrath of God.” This will be fulfilled both in the seven last plagues (Revelation 16:1-2) and in the lake of fire. Revelation 20:10, 15.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The three angels' messages are God's counter to Satan's final fling of the last days. Instead of fearing the beast, the call is to "fear God". In what way are we to fear God? There are two kinds of fear featured in scripture. The first is slavish fear which is offensive to God (1 John 4:18). The second is a fear involving respect and reverence, and which leads to love and obedience (Proverbs 8:13; 16:6; Psalm 34:11-14).

Hebrews 12:28-29, "Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire."

Today there is a serious lack of godly fear and of reverent respect of God and His will, especially in the professedly Christian world. God has been presented in an unbalanced light. In the Yester-year God was pictured as harsh and cruel. Today He is pictured as being so loving and forgiving that He will shut His eyes to almost anything. It does not matter what a man believes as long he is sincere etc. But scripture is clear:

Ecclesiastes 12:13, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all."

If one is to be ready for translation, at the second advent, a correct attitude is essential in regard to our great and Holy God.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Why Jesus reveals these prophecies to us.

The word “Revelation” comes from the Greek “apokalupisis” [Strong’s #602] which means: “an unveiling of”. The very name of this book disproves the common assumption that it cannot be understood.

This book is said to be the “Revelation of Jesus.” He is its author; it is a message straight from Him. Revelation continues where the four gospels and the book of Acts left off, and shows us what Jesus has done since then, is doing now and will do for His church in the future, "Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this" (Revelation 1:19).

Revelation comes from God.
Revelation 1: 1
tells us, "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him..." This is God's revelation of Christ.

The purpose of the book.
The purpose of the book is "...to show His servants—things which must shortly take place" (verse 1). It is to inform God's people, therefore that this book needs to be studied, understood and explained to people.

The order by which Revelation was given.
Four persons were involved in bringing the truth to the people. It involved God the Father, Christ the Son, the angel of God and the prophet John, "...He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John" (verse 1).

The method of recording it.
"...who bore witness to the word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw"
(verse 2). The word of God which was revealed through the prophet is also called the testimony, "For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy” (Revelation 19:10). The spirit of prophecy is the Word of God that is revealed through a prophet. This clearly tells us that the book of Revelation is a prophetic book, foretelling the future, and that therefore, the things therein will need to be interpreted primarily prophetically. In other words, there will be symbols that represent bigger concepts, not necessarily literal things. For example, when Revelation describes a beast, it won't be a literal beast, but the beast will represent something larger.

A special blessing on the public reader of the book.
The book opens with a blessing on the reader and it closes with a curse upon any who add to or subtract from any part of it.

"Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near" (verse 3).

This means the public reading of the book. At that time and through most of history, letters and news items were publicly announced to the people. This was probably because some were illiterate. In the synagogue service at Nazareth Jesus was given scripture to publicly read (Luke 4:16-17). Today the Word of God is still publicly read in church services.

Then there is a blessing on the hearer of the book. This is probably to encourage people to listen to its messages. Maybe God foresaw how unpopular the book of Revelation would be.

Thirdly, a blessing on those that keep the things written in the book. The word "keep" means to continually or habitually keep. This calls for our investigation as to what things God commands us to habitually keep indicating that there is an obedience factor.

elsbet's cat ^. .^

Established
... the thief dying beside Jesus was saved by faith, not acts. He recognized Jesus enough to put faith in him, he was not engaged in a ritual of the law while dying from being crucified.
Great point.

The following piece addresses that error within the SDA and Ellen White's doctrine, at length, for those interested.

Sabbath is a Ritual Law
Not a Moral Law
Link to full article - Reaching Adventists

If the Sabbath Law was Moral Law, it would have also been included in the New Testament... in contrast to all the other 9 Commandments -- but it wasn't.

(FOR EXAMPLE)
The Sabbath is not a moral law because the priests were allowed to profane it.

Matthew 12:5-8
Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the SABBATH DAYS THE PRIESTS IN THE TEMPLE PROFANE THE SABBATH, AND ARE BLAMELESS?

Sabbath was a law that could be broken, set aside, and profaned for various reasons without sin (blameless).

Which moral law can be profaned?
No moral law could be profaned or set aside under any circumstances.

What the Pharisees failed to see was-- not only was Jesus claiming to be the divine Messiah-- the shadows (ritual Sabbath, cleansing laws) lose their significance when they had the reality (Jesus).

Jesus went on to say, ‘Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest’ (Matt. 11:28).

True rest is not found in a day but a person.
That’s why Paul says Sabbath was a shadow, and the reality is Christ (Col 2:16, 17).

Jesus IS our Sabbath rest.
And the Sabbath is never referred to as a SIGN or a SEAL for Christians in the New Testament.

When you believed
you were marked in him​
with a SEAL,​
the promised Holy Spirit

The SEAL of God is the Holy Spirit.

- * -

phipps

Star
Whenever the true gospel of God is preached, there is always disruption of some kind. Why? Because Satan does not want people to find Jesus and be saved. Also preaching the truth doesn't mean everyone will accept it. Not even when Jesus and the apostles preached the truth did everyone accept it. God created us all with free will and doesn't force us to accept Him. In fact according to the Bible in Matthew 7:13-14 most will not accept God's truth hence why the gate leading to heaven is narrow and few get on it.

The Bible says, "Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution" (2 Timothy 3:12). The road is never smooth when a Christian is on the right track. The devil will not allow that and will do everything in his power to hinder God's Work.

I pray that no one lets anyone or anything hinder their spiritual journey in Christ. If they hear or read something they've never heard of before, they should first test it (as the God's Word tell us to 1 John 4:1) by going to the Word of God and research and study it prayerfully and not just give up because they have doubts. If they sincerely want to find the truth of God on any subject, God will lead them to the truth.

phipps

Star
Understanding the symbolism in the book of Revelation.

Revelation is the most difficult of all New Testament books to interpret, primarily because of the elaborate and extensive use of symbolism. Many people are scared of reading and studying it therefore. The symbolism needs to be interpreted and some people see that as a daunting task. I used to think the same way too.

Firstly, most of the symbols used in Revelation were drawn from the Old Testament. If we want to decode the symbols and images of Revelation, we must start by paying attention to the Old Testament. For example the seal of God is obviously symbolic language and in order to find out what it means we have to go mainly to the Old Testament. The words seal, sign and mark are written of interchangeably in Scripture. In the Bible two figurative uses of the seal are made. A seal may stand for a truth or requirement or it may indicate God's ownership and approval. These passages below and more tell us what God's seal, sign or mark is;

Exodus 31:16-17, "Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed."

Ezekiel 20:12, 20, "Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them. ... hallow My Sabbaths, and they will be a sign between Me and you, that you may know that I am the Lord your God."

God Himself made the sabbath a sign in His creating, redeeming power. When I keep it holy, I demonstrate my acceptance of Him as my Creator and Saviour. Why? Because the fourth commandment tells us a. God's name ("the Lord thy God"), b. His title or office as creator ("Made"), and c. His dominion ("heaven and earth"). So the fourth commandment in unmistakable language tells us the authority that is behind the ten commandments, the authority of our creator and the government of God.

Government seals are used to officially identify national laws and authorise legal documents. Such a seal must give the law giver's name, title and territory over which they rule and have authority. The fourth commandment tells us this about God and His government.

Even the language of part of the first angel's message of Revelation 14 is almost the same word for word to the language in part of the fourth commandment which says, "Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people— saying with a loud voice, “Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water” (Revelation 14:6-7). Compare with the fourth commandment that says, "For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day" (Exodus 20:11).

So it makes sense that those who receive the seal of God in their forehead represent their choice of the mind to worship God in the way that He has commanded. The forehead symbolises our minds which we serve the Lord with as Romans 7:25 shows, "I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin."

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Secondly, the books of Revelation and Daniel must be studied together. Revelation and Daniel share the same symbols and wording and that is no coincidence. For example in Revelation 13, the first beast has the characteristics of a leopard, a bear and a lion, the same beast powers mentioned in Daniel 7. The beast of Revelation 13 has all the attributes of the beasts of Daniel 7 which are the leopard of Greece, the bear for Medo-Persia and the lion for Babylon. This beast represents the papacy, the same religious-political power portrayed by the little horn of Daniel 7.

1686056364685.png

Another example would be the length of time that the first beast/papacy rules for before it appeared to receive its deadly wound, "And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to continue for forty-two months" (Revelation 13:5). The 42 months that the papacy has authority is the same time period that the little horn power will have authority in Daniel 7:25, because the little horn of Daniel 7 and the beast of Revelation 13 are the same power.

1686056682778.png
Time, times and half a time, 42 months, and 1260 days are all the same time period written in different forms. This can be deduced from Hebrew parallelism.

Every time the Bible mentions this prophetic period it refers to the papacy. As prophetic days symbolize actual years (Numbers 14:34, Ezekiel 4:5-6, these two texts provide the key—the day-year principle. This principle takes prophetic days and converts them to actual years) this 1260-year period began in 538 AD when the Papacy established itself as the ruling religious power, and ended in 1798 when the papacy appeared to receive a deadly wound.

During its period of supremacy, the papacy wielded more power than even the emperors of Rome. Kings laid their crowns at the feet of the pope, and had him crown them. The pope was supreme over all nations and peoples.

The symbolism of Revelation safeguards us against distorting the prophetic message. In trying to understand the meaning of the symbols used in the book, we must be careful not to impose on the text a meaning that comes out of human imagination or the current meanings of those symbols in our culture. Instead, we must go to the Bible and to the symbols found in its pages in order to understand the symbols in the book of Revelation.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The time of trouble/the tribulation.

The expression “time of trouble” appears eight times in the Old Testament. The New Testament equivalent “great tribulation” appears three times. In each text the “time of trouble/tribulation” refers to a time of distress, oppression, disaster, or war.

For example, the children of Israel endured 400 years of tribulation just before the Exodus (Acts 7:6). The early Christians also passed through a time of trouble immediately after the stoning of Stephen (Acts 8:1). From A.D. 303-313 (Revelation 2:10), God's people suffered a 10-year period of tribulation. But perhaps the most notable time of trouble was the 1,260 years of intense persecution waged against true Christians during the Dark Ages. "And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there one thousand two hundred and threescore days." "And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman" (Revelation 12:6, 13).

As dark as each of these times were for God's people, none can compare with the final, great tribulation that is yet to take place. The great tribulation corresponds with the time during which the seven last plagues of Revelation chapter 16 will fall. "And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God" (Revelation 15:1).

God's wrath will be directed against the ones who disobey His law, distort His truth, and oppress His people. "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness" (Romans 1:18).

The great tribulation also coincides with the Battle of Armageddon. Both take place immediately before Christ's second coming. "And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon. And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done."

The great time of trouble will not last long. Here are a few Scriptures that show it will be a short period of time.

Revelation 18:8 tells us, "Therefore shall her plagues come in one day." A "day" in Bible prophecy represents one literal year (Ezekiel 4:6, Numbers 14:34, Luke 13:32). So when Revelation says that "her plagues come in one day," it means within, or less than, one year's time. The very nature of the seven last plagues-the rivers and seas turning to blood and the planet being scorched with great heat-would render it impossible for the human race to survive more than a month or two. This is why Jesus said, "And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake those days will be shortened" (Matthew 24:22).

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Why such trouble?

This repeated cycle throughout salvation history raises a logical question. Why not skip the trauma and go straight to deliverance?

This cycle was set in motion by one who is described as " 'a liar and the father of lies' " (John 8:44). From the beginning, the rotten core of sin has been enshrouded in the seductive promise of a glittering deception. Sin rebellion against and autonomy from God is presented as a fulfilling, life-enhancing alternative. God is presented as a with holding, untrustworthy being who can hold His creatures in submission only by death threats (Genesis 3:1-5) or bribery (Job 1:1-12).

Throughout human history God has revealed Himself in response to the lie. He dramatically parts the Red Sea and leads Israel to safety. He establishes covenants, thundering from Mount Sinai, and sends water gushing from a rock while manna appears on the ground. He speaks through a succession of prophets. Then in His greatest act of self-revelation, He sends His own Son. Pierced hands outstretched on the cross dramatically demonstrate the depth and intensity of God's love and His desire to keep faith with His children. An empty tomb certifies His power over death and every human dilemma.

Seemingly, any of these demonstrations, especially the cross, would be enough to puncture the illusion of Satan's original lie. The existence of God, the character of God, the love of God and the true consequences of sin these and more are etched out power fully by God's working in history. But strangely, the lessons are all too often lost on the rebellious human race. True, the dazzling power of the sin illusion occasionally flickers and dims in the face of some particularly disturbing evil. But amnesia sets in quickly or people even use such displays of sin at work as evidence against God.

But there is something different about this final, tempestuous series of events. While earth's history has certainly been punctuated with episodes of horror, God has patiently blunted the full impact of sin's destructive power. But here finally at the end of the age, once and for all, God must lift the restraint and expose the true reality that is the dark underside of the cosmic rebellion.

While this lifting of restraint is an act of divine judgment and revelation, like all manifestations of "the wrath of God," there is a component of "letting alone" (Romans 1:18, 24, 26, 28) so that the true principles of God's enemy and the natural outworking of the sin principle are revealed. "Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose." 1

Before it is all over everybody alive will have made a decision about whom they will worship. Everybody is shouldered off the fence by these happenings. Multitudes offer allegiance to the beast creature while a remnant worship the Creator God. As the world polarizes, a stark clarity emerges. The seductive principles that have mesmerized most of the world are revealed as horrific, destructive lies. The trustworthiness of God is vindicated. And the cycle ceases. The fallen planet is ultimately restored. The old order passes away, never to return.

phipps

Star
No Second Chance.

Before the great tribulation begins, God's people will experience a small time of trouble. During this time the saints will have to share their faith in the face of stiff social, political, and religious opposition. "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name" (Revelation 13:17).

This small time of trouble will resemble the period of time just before the plagues fell on Egypt. The angry Pharaoh tried to turn the hearts of his Israelite slaves against their God by forcing them to produce the usual quota of bricks without providing the necessary straw. In the same way, before the tribulation the government will use political and economic sanctions to pressure God's end-time people into receiving the mark of the beast. When this fails to deter the people of God from obedience, there will be a final death decree. "And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed" (Revelation 13:15). At this time, the great tribulation begins and the seven last plagues start to fall.

The main reason this time will be so intense is because it will come after probation closes (this is a link to my thread on probation closing) for the lost. "At that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book" (Daniel 12:1). Notice that when the tribulation begins, the cases of all people have been forever decided.

The door of salvation and grace will close for the world-just as the door on the ark closed seven days before the Flood began. At that time Jesus will declare, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give to every man according as his work shall be" (Revelation 22:11-12).

For the first time in the world's history, God's Spirit will be completely withdrawn from the lost. The unsaved will be given wholly over to demonic control. The saved will be sealed and the lost forever lost. No more changing teams!

phipps

Star
God on Trial.

If no one is converted by the plagues, then why does the Lord allow it?

For thousands of years God's Spirit has worked in the hearts of men. But He has warned that this would not always be so (Genesis 6:3). Satan must have an opportunity to demonstrate what a world that is completely under his power would be like. And so God will finally allow the winds of strife to blow unhindered-but not before His servants are sealed (Revelation 7:1-3).

The great tribulation will prove to the universe that nothing-not even the worst conditions in the history of the world-would change the characters of those still alive upon the earth. God's people will trust Him no matter what, and His enemies will rebel against Him no matter what.

Sometimes adversity brings a lost soul to repentance, but as the seven last plagues are being poured out, the wicked will reveal that there are no longer any redeemable threads in their fabric.

"The fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues; and they repented not to give him glory" (Revelation 16:9).

"They blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and did not repent of their deeds" (Revelation 16:11).

"Men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great" (Revelation 16:21).

phipps

Star
Through the Tribulation With Christ.

Many Christians believe that the righteous will all be raptured out of the world just before the time of trouble and that the wicked will be left behind to endure seven years of tribulation. Because it sounds appealing, this doctrine has gained widespread acceptance. But the fact remains that the Bible clearly teaches otherwise.

Here are but a few of the many Scriptures which teach that God's end-time people will go through the tribulation:

The Bible describes the 144,000 as "they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb" (Revelation 7:14).

In His great prophetic discourse on the mount of Olives, Jesus made the following statement immediately after mentioning the tribulation: "And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened" (Matthew 24:22). If the elect were not in the world during the great tribulation, they would not need the days to be shortened!

All throughout Scripture we see examples of the Lord saving His people through tribulation, not from it.

Noah was not saved from the Flood, but through it.

Daniel was not saved from the lions' den, but through it.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego were not saved from the fiery furnace, but through it. In fact, Jesus went through it with them, and He will go through the great tribulation with us as well!

The children of Israel were not saved from Egypt before the plagues fell, but afterward. God demonstrated His love and power by preserving them in Egypt through the ten plagues. In the same way, the righteous will be in the world when the seven last plagues fall (Revelation 16), but God will preserve them.

God never promises that our lives will always be easy. Christ prayed to His Father for His disciples, "I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil [one]" (John 17:15). Likewise, in 2 Timothy 3:12 Paul states, "All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." Paul also told a group of disciples that "We must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God" (Acts 14:22).

Although God does not always provide an escape from tribulation, He does promise to give us the power and strength to get through it. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13).

In His parable of the two home builders, Jesus taught that the storm comes to the wise man who builds on the rock just like surely as it comes to the fool who builds upon the sand (Matthew 7:24-27). The storm will come to all.

phipps

Star
No Need to Fear.

Picture, if you dare, this terrifying recipe. First, pour the entire contents of Armageddon into a pressure cooker, then slowly mix in the seven last plagues with one full bottle of Jacob's trouble and one whole crushed Babylon. Next, evenly stir in two full boxes of wrath-one from God and one from Satan. Cover securely and cook on high.

Sound appetizing?

We all seem to conjure up these frightening images when we think of the tribulation. Now try this instead. Picture Jesus in a fragile little boat on a dark sea, with the waves mounting and wind roaring. Mark 4:38-40 records the scene. "He was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish? And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm."

Then Christ said to them, "Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?" Jesus rested with the peace of a baby because He lived by faith in His heavenly Father. One message He delivered repeatedly throughout His ministry was "Fear not."

In John 16:33, Jesus said, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

God does not want us to live by fear, but rather by faith. "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love" (1 John 4:18).

During the world's darkest hour and greatest trial, God will supply the greatest peace and faith. We need only to remember that Jesus is in the boat with us. Though the furnace be heated seven times over, we can pass safely through it if Jesus is at our side.

The ninety-first Psalm contains special promises for those living during the last great tribulation. It says, "You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day, Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, And ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you. Only with your eyes shall you look, And see the reward of the wicked" (Psalm 91:5-8).

The Psalmist makes it clear we will be in the midst of the world during the plagues yet remain untouched if God is our refuge. "No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling" (Psalm 91:10).

phipps

Star
Rescue from the Skies.

On Friday June 2, 1995, Captain Scott O'Grady was flying his F-16 over Bosnia when his plane was cut in two by Serbian anti-aircraft fire. He quickly ejected and parachuted to the ground. Suddenly he found himself in a different, hostile world with the entire Serbian army combing every inch of ground in search of him. For six days he prayed, often hiding with his face in the dirt to avoid being seen by enemy soldiers passing within a few feet. For six long days he survived-cold, wet, tired, hungry, eating bugs and drinking dirty water, calling every night on his little radio for help from above, running from enemies, and hiding under bushes. Then came a daring rescue from the skies. Forty airships, hundreds of soldiers, satellites, and the combined technology of all NATO were all engaged to rescue one hunted soldier.

Will God do less for His people?

When Captain Scott O'Grady returned to the United States, he was hailed as a hero. Why? Because he had come out of great tribulation. We too may have to endure a brief time of trouble, but it will fade into insignificance when compared with the glorious moment when Jesus comes crashing through the skies with his angelic armies to rescue His children.

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us" (Romans 8:18).

Link.