The many problems with gender essentialism

Aero

Superstar
I disagree with pretty much everything behind social construct theories. I think they are a red herring.

However, I only disagree with some gender essentialism. Like psychology in general, I think they went too far in trying to put a label on everything. The human essence is universal, meaning men and women are two sides of the same coin. So it doesn't matter how many differences one can spot.

Psychologies mass labeling is why people are now shunning labels. So I see this debate being about behavior, not identification. As a result, people are missing a fundamental part of human nature. Simply put, it's about not wanting to be controlled. Some people can't be tamed or fit into the role. More importantly, that shouldn't be an odd thing.

ishigo

Established
I don't understand because you just strung a bunch of buzzwords together without a supporting argument
I'm afraid I'm not as "woke" as you are.
I never claimed to be "more woke" than anyone. I just think the framing/language of the conversations around gender is important if society is heading twrds gender liberation. Historically, ppl have been using the words gender and sex interchangeably for exemple and I think that's what's confusing for many.

Last edited:

Communion

First post, greetings all.

Social constructs and gender identity to me are little more than "gender expectations" in the vein of playing a role. Biologically speaking, there are two genders: male and female. There are also hermaphrodites, but this MEDICAL condition is very rare.

The blurring of gender IDENTITY, to me, is a symptom of a much larger trend. Our 21st century life of ease no longer requires strict adherence to gender expectations. Men were not supposed to cry or be sensetive because we were the fighters, the hunters, and the protectors. Evolution saw fit to make us larger, stronger, faster, and colder.

A weak man in the past could mean the destruction or exploitation of his family. Therefore, weakness was often rooted out when men were just children. Cruel yes, but often necessary. Now here we are in the 21st century. We have no rival tribes, no bears and lions in the darkness, and no daily struggle to survive.

Men must now redirect the evolutionary tools given to us into something else. Imagine training your entire life for a war that never comes...

Women on the other hand have a much more simple place. Now that equal rights have been established, it is up to women to keep them. As long as feminism remains pro-woman, and never anti-man, everything should continue to progress nicely for them.

In summary, I feel men have lost their place in the modern western world we live in, and each man's life now exists in a vacuum because our muscles and cold blooded nature are currently not needed. That may change in the future, but for now, expect more men to learn to cry and test out what panties feel like when no one is looking.

Awoken2

Superstar
, but for now, expect more men to learn to cry and test out what panties feel like when no one is looking.
....is this you coming out of the closet? Despite my masculinity being eroded each day as of yet I have not had the compunction to jump into a pair of my Mrs knickers!

Robin

Veteran
....is this you coming out of the closet? Despite my masculinity being eroded each day as of yet I have not had the compunction to jump into a pair of my Mrs knickers!
Lol. I was thinking that was quite the leap from emotional expression to testing out women's underwear! Is that called progress?

Communion

I have resisted the urge this far... Just a little levity thrown in at the end to lighten the mood a bit.

Awoken2

Superstar
Lol. I was thinking that was quite the leap from emotional expression to testing out women's underwear! Is that called progress?
Progress?....no.....from what I can gather he's veering more pro-dress.

Just a little levity thrown in at the end to lighten the mood a bit.
I think if each poster here was issued with a scuba tank full of nitrous oxide the mood of this forum wouldn't move an inch.

.....any way I'm off now to go try on some frocks.....laters

Note one: If you believe gender is merely a social construct, I need you to define two terms for me.

Keep in mind that a definition cannot be self-explanatory, eg you cannot say the definition of a square is a square. And it cannot be contradictory. You cannot say a square is a triangle

What is a woman?
What is a trans woman?

Note two: Gender is not a spectrum between male and female. It is a discontinuous spectrum. You cannot be a male, and move on the spectrum enough to jump over to female. You can only be an effeminate male

MASCULINE MALE<--------------------------->EFFEMINATE MALE --------BREAK----------FEMININE FEMALE<------------------------------->MASCULINE FEMALE

I'm not trying to be patronizing by explaining the painfully obvious, but it is helpful to lay this out logically.

Last edited: