The Like Button And The Ego....

Carolyn

Star
Is this like button a good thing? I'm beginning to think not so much, it fuels our need for approval and creates a false ego in us thinking that because some people have liked what we have said so much it almost makes you think, yeah Im right Im really really right, in fact pretty much everything I say is right but in actual fact its not really right, not always anyway, sometimes it can be right other times not so much.

Do we really need this false method of seeking and recieving approval from others and really is it even worth anything when those who are boosting your ego this way dont really agree with your view on the world etc? Its maybe just that one little thing in the middle of a huge sentence which sparked something in them for a brief second and made them like your post even though they hate or disagree with everything else you said before and after this brief spark??

Lurker

Star
Is this like button a good thing? I'm beginning to think not so much, it fuels our need for approval and creates a false ego in us thinking that because some people have liked what we have said so much it almost makes you think, yeah Im right Im really really right, in fact pretty much everything I say is right but in actual fact its not really right, not always anyway, sometimes it can be right other times not so much.

Do we really need this false method of seeking and recieving approval from others and really is it even worth anything when those who are boosting your ego this way dont really agree with your view on the world etc? Its maybe just that one little thing in the middle of a huge sentence which sparked something in them for a brief second and made them like your post even though they hate or disagree with everything else you said before and after this brief spark??
I'd like it more than once, if I could. Maybe a sock can help me there. JK

Good question, Carolyn. To be honest, I’m on the fence about it because I’m on another board and they have a similar system.

The difference is it’s a “thanks” instead of liking the post. The board is following upcoming murder trials for some defendants in Ontario. Somebody on the boards has stated they knew one of the victims that were murdered and the information they've gathered about the case has helped the media and law enforcement with the trial(s). When I see their name that they've “thanked” a comment, I read that comment more attentively. Is that a good thing? Not sure as I read all the comments but I admit it can give me a bias towards the ones they've thanked.

Maybe if the likes weren't counted that might diminish some of the bias? But Facebook is a lot like the system on this forum so it’s not like these boards are doing anything out of the ordinary.

Damien50

Star
My only issue is with god is formless liking every single post. I found his reasoning in the old boards to be fallacious and an abuse of the system.

I use it to converse with like minded individuals and him and I are not like minded.

There is no reason to like everyone's post which is why I don't. If I like the comment I show my appreciation or interest via a comment be it brief or lengthand not through a like that could be easily misconstrued because I only partially agreed with the content that the poster provided.

Lisa

Superstar
My only issue is with god is formless liking every single post. I found his reasoning in the old boards to be fallacious and an abuse of the system.

I use it to converse with like minded individuals and him and I are not like minded.

There is no reason to like everyone's post which is why I don't. If I like the comment I show my appreciation or interest via a comment be it brief or lengthand not through a like that could be easily misconstrued because I only partially agreed with the content that the poster provided.
Well, I think with God is Formless liking every post, it just negates his likes for me...I don't believe he likes everything I say, so I ignore that he's the liker, but on the other hand, he does keep me liked ;)