The Iraq War Censorship.

Karlysymon

Superstar
In May 2003, Brown University professor William Beeman drew attention to [Micheal] Ledeen’s clout, writing: “Most Americans have never heard of Michael Ledeen, but if the United States ends up in an extended shooting war throughout the Middle East, it will be largely due to his inspiration.

We’ll soon be entering the 3rd decade since 9/11 and a lot of things are fading from memory. I thought it would be worth revisiting the subject of censorship, (both before and during the Iraq war) of opposition to the invasion and the questioning of constitutional violations. I will list my two opening examples but first; with the benefit of retrospect or the passage of time, information has trickled out on why the invasion was launched in the first place. Bush advisor, Philip Zelikow stated that it was launched to protect Israel. And he wasn’t the only one. Serveto originally posted this:

So, if the invasion was primarily launched on those grounds and there was intense stifling of opposition/criticism, shouldn’t the recent developments where criticism of Israel or anything Jewish is being labeled as anti-semitic or even made illegal, provoke further scrutiny, as to why they are happening in the first place?
But back to the early 2000s, it begs the question; those enforcing the censorship, to whom were they beholden or were they just being “patriotic” out of ignorance? And what did that censorship betray about American democracy or the era that the country had just entered?
[Now deceased] Professor Walter F Murphy is emeritus of Princeton University; he is one of the foremost constitutional scholars in the nation and author of the classic Constitutional Democracy. Murphy is also a decorated former marine, and he is not even especially politically liberal. But on March 1 this year (2007), he was denied a boarding pass at Newark, "because I was on the Terrorist Watch list".
"Have you been in any peace marches? We ban a lot of people from flying because of that," asked the airline employee.
"I explained," said Murphy, "that I had not so marched but had, in September 2006, given a lecture at Princeton, televised and put on the web, highly critical of George Bush for his many violations of the constitution."
"That'll do it," the man said.

----------------------------------------------
The Dixie Chicks

Controversy erupted over the Dixie Chicks in 2003 following a critical comment vocalist Natalie Maines made about American President George W. Bush while performing in a concert in London, United Kingdom. In relation to the forthcoming invasion of Iraq, Maines said, "...we don't want this war, this violence, and we're ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas." (Wikipedia entry for the song)

Numerous US radio stations removed the group from their playlists. "In my book the Dixie Chicks are traitors," one columnist wrote at the time. "Not only to America but also to everything good that country music stands for."
Dixie Chicks turn death threats to song

Last edited:

Karlysymon

Superstar
Articles from 2003

Does dissent have a place in wartime?
Are you patriotic or anti-war? If you think that's a false choice, you probably weren't in attendance at one of the "Pro-America/Support Our Troops" rallies held in cities across the country last weekend.

In the view of many citizens who favor the invasion of Iraq, opposition is symptomatic of anti-Americanism, and open dissent during a time of war comes close to treason. At some rallies, marchers carried signs saying, "America--Love It or Leave It."
It's hard to see why people should be expected to leave a free country because they have the gall to exercise their freedom. Maybe the ones who should leave are their critics, who would be more comfortable in a country whose government tolerates no criticism--say, Iraq. Or maybe they think we can't deliver liberty to the Iraqi people unless we first confiscate it from the American people.

Fox News host Bill O'Reilly said a few weeks ago, "It is our duty as loyal Americans to shut up once the fighting begins, unless facts prove the operation wrong, as was the case in Vietnam."
-------------------------------------------------------
Smearing Sy Hersh
Richard Perle on Seymour Hersh: Sy Hersh is the closest thing American journalism has to a terrorist

Last edited: