The Hidden Truth Behind Hanukkah and Yeshua’s Incarnation

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The Hidden Truth Behind Hanukkah and Yeshua’s Incarnation
Posted by Natan Lawrence

To the casual observer, Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday that occurs around Christmas-time and has something to do with lighting a menorah-like candelabra, which somehow relates to some important event that occurred a long time ago in Jewish history. Some Bible teachers even claim that Hanukkah is pagan-based holiday that somehow honors the demonic sun god of antiquity. But as we shall see below, there is a hidden truth behind the Hanukkah holiday that the devil doesn’t want people to know about. In fact, by the end of this study, you will hopefully see that Hanukkah celebrates the truth of the Messiah’s incarnation better than Christmas ever didand without all the pagan trappings. You’ve probably never heard this before and wonder how this could be. Stay tuned.

Anyone who has barely scratched the surface of Christmas’ origins realizes that they are profane and unbiblical. Christmas is the Christianization of some vile pagan traditions based on celebrating the winter solstice in honor of the demonic sun god through lewd and drunken orgiastic satanic rituals. Though the tradition of the Christmas tree came later, it is rooted in pre-Christian sex worship rituals that come straight out of demonic sun god worship, and something the Bible in many places condemns and forbids the saints from practicing.

Hanukkah, on the other hand, doesn’t share Christmas’ pagan origins. Rather, this holiday links back directly to one of YHVH’s seven commanded biblical festivals. Though Hanukkah isn’t a commanded biblical holiday, and is of man’s creation, it still has prophetic implications that are worth noting. What’s more, it doesn’t carry the pagan baggage the Christian holidays like Christmas, Easter, Lent, All Saints Day (i.e., Halloween) and the others all do.

In our study of the origins of Hanukkah, let’s first prove that there is a link between the biblical fall festival of Sukkot or the Feast of Tabernacles (Lev 23:33–43) and Hanukkah. How is this? Interestingly, both Hanukkah and Sukkot along with the Eighth Day last for eight days. According to the intertestamental Book of Maccabees, Hanukkah was a second, belated Feast of Tabernacles (Heb. Sukkot and the Eighth Day (Heb. Shemini Atzeret; see 1 Macc 4:44–59; 2 Macc 1:7–9; 10:1–8). After the Jews defeated the Greeks’ attempt to destroy Judaism and the Jewish people, the Jews had to cleanse and reconsecrate their temple from pagan defilement before worshipping YHVH there. The temple wasn’t ready to be rededicated at the biblically prescribed time of Sukkot in the seventh month of the biblical calendar (in Sept/Oct), which is when Solomon dedicated the first temple (2 Chr 5:3; 7:8–9). Instead, the Jews rededicated the cleansed temple roughly two months later in the ninth month (in December), and they celebrated a belated or second Sukkot roughly two months later after the temple was finally cleansed.

Moreover, the lighting of giant menorahs was a major aspect of Sukkot’s joyous celebration (The Temple, p. 224ff, by Alfred Edersheim). Yeshua seems to make reference to this light celebration going on in the temple on the last great day or seventh day of Sukkot (called Hoshana Rabbah). At this very time, Yeshua refers to himself as the (true) light of the world (John 8:12 cp. 7:12).The lighting of an eight-branched candelabra at Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, reflects this Sukkot tradition of lighting menorahs. It also speaks of the miracle of the light of YHVH’s truth being preserved in Israel despite the heathen’s attempt to stamp it out.

Interestingly, the timing of Hanukkah also relates to Yeshua who is the light of the world (John 8:12). There is strong biblical evidence to suggest that Yeshua was born at the biblical festival of Sukkot in the early fall. If this is the case, Yeshua would have been conceived in the virgin Mary’s womb by the Spirit of Elohim nine months earlier at the time of Hanukkah. The Bible teaches that human life begins at conception (Exod 21:22; Ps 139:13–16; Jer 1:5; Luke 1:15, 41, 44), not at birth as we in the West typically view it. Therefore, Yeshua’s life really started when he was conceived in Mary’s womb, not when he was born. Therefore, in Hebraic thought, Christmas isn’t really celebrating the beginning of Yeshua’s life or incarnation. Hanukkah does!

Despite the fact that Christmas misses the mark in celebrating the beginning of Yeshua’s life, Hanukkah and Christmas share something in common. They both celebrate the coming of Yeshua, the Word of Elohim from heaven to this earth to be the light of the world to show man the way to the Father in heaven. Sadly, Christmas is the Christianization of some horrific pagan holidays to arrive at this truth. Hanukkah, however, carries none of this ungodly baggage, as we have attempted to demonstrate so far in this short study.

Why did the Jews choose the twenty-fifth day of the ninth month on which to rededicate the temple? Did this timing have something to do with the winter solstice as the December 25 timing of Christmas does and as some Bible teachers suggest? Absolutely not. There is actually a connection between the timing of Hanukkah (which by the way falls well before the winter solstice) and an important historical event that occurred in Israel’s history. It also relates to a Messianic prophecy having to do with the coming of the promised Messiah into the world. This we see in the biblical Book of Haggai. This tiny book records that on the day just before what would later become known as Hanukkah or the Feast of Dedication (i.e., the twenty-fourth day of the biblical ninth month, which is called Chislev or Kislev), the cornerstone to the second temple was laid (Hag 2:19). This is the same temple that the idolatrous Greeks would desecrate some 350 years later. Therefore the Maccabeean Jews had solid biblical precedence for choosing the date of Kislev 25 to start celebrating the eight day holiday of Hanukkah or the Feast of Dedication, for this was the day after the prophetic decree went out to lay the cornerstone for that very temple 350 years earlier. Therefore, the Maccabeean Jews merged the timing of the commencement of the second temple’s construction with the idea that the Solomon’s temple was dedicated on Sukkot, and they celebrated a belated Sukkot-type celebration in the ninth month starting on Kislev 25, which became known as the Feast of Dedication or Hanukkah.

Furthermore, when Haggai the prophet records the laying of the cornerstone for the second temple, he also speaks about the Desire of All Nations — another name for Yeshua the Messiah — coming to that very temple and filling it with his glory (Hag 2:7). This is the greater reason why this temple had to be built! The Messiah needed a temple to come to, so that many biblical prophecies could be fulfilled. Moreover, in verse nine, Haggai prophesies that the glory of the second temple would be greater than that of Solomon’s temple. How is this? From a physical perspective this is hard to understand, since Solomon’s temple contained billions of dollars worth of gold alone. The second temple could hardly compare to the glorious and extravagant riches of the first temple. Yet considering that this would be the temple to which the Messiah, the Son of Elohim would come, YHVH through the prophet could predict that “the glory of this latter temple shall be greater than the former” (Hag 2:9).

Finally, John, the Gospel writer, in a sense, confirms Haggai’s prophecy when records a curious double entendre statement that Yeshua made. While at the second temple, Yeshua predicted the temple’s destruction and its raising up again in three days. Those around him thought he was referring to the destruction and rebuilding of the actual physical second temple. John, however, informs us that Yeshua’s prophecy was instead referring to the temple of his body, which would be destroyed and raised up or resurrected after three days in the grave (John 2:19–22). As the cornerstone for the second temple (the very temple to which Yeshua came on the Feast of Dedication in John 10:32) was laid at Hanukkah time, so Yeshua who is the Rock of our salvation (Deut 32:15; Pss 62:2; 89:26) and our Chief Cornerstone (Eph 2:20; 1 Pet 2:6) was miraculously conceived at this very time by Elohim in the womb of the virgin Mary. He was then born nine months later at Sukkot or the Feast of Tabernacles. It was at Sukkot that Yeshua the Messiah or Immanuel (or El God with man) was born in human likeness and came to dwell or tabernacle with men (1 John 1:1, 14). This then is the greater and glorious story behind the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah that has been hidden for millennia!

https://hoshanarabbah.org/blog/2015/12/06/hidden-truth-behind-hanukkah/

rainerann

Star
“According to the intertestamental Book of Maccabees, Hanukkah was a second, belated Feast of Tabernacles (Heb. Sukkot and the Eighth Day (Heb. Shemini Atzeret; see 1 Macc 4:44–59; 2 Macc 1:7–9; 10:1–8). After the Jews defeated the Greeks’ attempt to destroy Judaism and the Jewish people, the Jews had to cleanse and reconsecrate their temple from pagan defilement before worshipping YHVH there.”

Question: have you read the book of Maccabees?

Second question: why do you think that we don’t have the book of Maccabees included in the Bible like the Orthodox Church does, if we are able to make an important connection like this from it?

TokiEl

Superstar
There is no doubt about Jesus being born at the Feast of Tabernacles and so that fact naturally places His incarnation around the Feast of Dedication.

But He would have to be in the womb for 44 weeks if His incarnation happened at Hanukkah.

And that is perfectly possible as He is God after all.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
“According to the intertestamental Book of Maccabees, Hanukkah was a second, belated Feast of Tabernacles (Heb. Sukkot and the Eighth Day (Heb. Shemini Atzeret; see 1 Macc 4:44–59; 2 Macc 1:7–9; 10:1–8). After the Jews defeated the Greeks’ attempt to destroy Judaism and the Jewish people, the Jews had to cleanse and reconsecrate their temple from pagan defilement before worshipping YHVH there.”

Question: have you read the book of Maccabees?

Second question: why do you think that we don’t have the book of Maccabees included in the Bible like the Orthodox Church does, if we are able to make an important connection like this from it?
There are a few "borderline" books that may contain truth, but are not automatically inspired. I believe Enoch may contain elements of truths that have been passed down. In the same way I believe Maccabees contains records of true events filtered through an interpretation that may or may not be accurate. I'm sure one day you will get a more satisfying answer @rainerann

Dalit

Star
This is kind of a kid's video for basic Hanukkah information.

To the casual observer, Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday that occurs around Christmas-time
Hi Red, Hanukkah (also know as the Festival of Lights) Was a celebration of a miracle that a Menorah (a Jewish oil Lamp) That only had enough oil to burn for one day, kept burning for seven or eight day during the Maccabean revolt against the Greek AND Syrian oppressors During the dedication of the second temple. This happened around November or December (not sure of the century and has nothing to do with Christmas. I can give you a specific History if you want...But you can find it on the net. The Maccabean Revolt is a good study on Jewish History.

Dalit

Star
Hey, all! There is a lot I could say here, but I feel that YHVH wants me to keep it simple and just showcase John 10 since that is where Jesus/Yeshua was celebrating Hanukkah.

The context of John 10 begins with Jesus talking about thieves and robbers entering the sheepfold without using the door, but by illegal entry or almost b and e (breaking and entering) without the b (breaking) since they do not use the door but climb up. The door is Jesus (10:7) and He goes on to say "All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief [satan] comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." (10:8-10) So we see that Jesus is the door into the sheepfold and thieves and robbers have come before Him and will most likely try to come after Him.

Next, Jesus is not only the door, but the Good Shepherd (10:11) and alludes to Psalm 23 as an obvious parallel passage and certainly other passages. He's the Good Shepherd who lays down His life for the sheep (10:11), which is foreshadowing how He will die. Hired hands won't lay down their lives for the sheep (10:12-13). In the prophetic books (left side of the book), Israel's leaders are often referred to as bad shepherds. Jesus knows this, of course, and is showing how He differs from them, how He will lay down His life for the sheep where many if not all of them would not. He goes on to say how He knows His own and His own know Him and He is in the Father and the Father in Him (10:14-15). He's got other sheep which are not yet in the fold and He's going to go get them (10:16). This is about the Gentiles and the lost 10 tribes of Israel. There's more sheep to be brought back home. Yay!

Some of the Jews listening get into division over His words and accuse Him of being demon-possessed (10:19-21).

Now for Hanukkah. "At that time the Feast of Dedication took place in Jerusalem; it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon." (10:22-23) There are no other Biblical feasts in winter that could be referred to as the Feast of Dedication except for this one. Jesus was in Jerusalem during the feasts.

So, the Jews gathered around Him and asked Him to tell them if He is the Moshiach/Messiah (10:24). He tells them that He did and if they don't believe Him, then they're not of His sheep (10:25-26). Some of them get really mad and want to seize Him. Yet, across the Jordan where John the Baptizer was first baptizing, many came to Him and many believed in Him there (10:40-42).

Even though there's many good verses and passages I could share, I think this may be the most important because basically it is showing that Jesus/Yeshua is salvation. His name means salvation. He is who we celebrate when we celebrate Hanukkah. We remember that He is the light of the world.

Thank you.

Edited: There are no other Biblical feasts in winter [that could be referred to as the Feast of Dedication] except for this one. There's Purim in February.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The Meaning of Numbers: The Number 8
The number 8 in the Bible represents a new beginning, meaning a new order or creation, and man's true 'born again' event when he is resurrected from the dead into eternal life.

Like the Old Testament Passover lamb, Jesus was selected as the Lamb to take away man's sins on the Hebrew day of Nisan 10 (April 1, 30 A.D. - John 12: 28 - 29). He was crucified on Nisan 14 (Wednesday, April 5 in 30 A.D.). His resurrection occurred, exactly as he stated, three days and three nights after he was buried, which was at the end of the weekly Sabbath day that fell on Nisan 17 (seventeen symbolizes victory).

Nisan 17 was also the eighth day, counting inclusively, from the time Christ was selected as man's sacrificial Lamb. All this bears record of Jesus' perfect sacrifice and His complete victory over death.

Boys were to be circumcised on the 8th day. The number 8 symbolizes circumcision of the heart through Christ and the receiving of the Holy Spirit (Romans 2:28 - 29, Colossians 2:11 - 13). Those in Christ are becoming a new creation, with godly character being created by the power of God's Spirit (2Corinthians 5:17, Ephesians 2:10; 4:23 - 24).

http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/meaning-of-numbers-in-bible/8.html

519439-istock-876095358.jpg

Dalit

Star
The number 8 in the Bible represents a new beginning, meaning a new order or creation, and man's true 'born again' event when he is resurrected from the dead into eternal life.

Like the Old Testament Passover lamb, Jesus was selected as the Lamb to take away man's sins on the Hebrew day of Nisan 10 (April 1, 30 A.D. - John 12: 28 - 29). He was crucified on Nisan 14 (Wednesday, April 5 in 30 A.D.). His resurrection occurred, exactly as he stated, three days and three nights after he was buried, which was at the end of the weekly Sabbath day that fell on Nisan 17 (seventeen symbolizes victory).

Nisan 17 was also the eighth day, counting inclusively, from the time Christ was selected as man's sacrificial Lamb. All this bears record of Jesus' perfect sacrifice and His complete victory over death.

Boys were to be circumcised on the 8th day. The number 8 symbolizes circumcision of the heart through Christ and the receiving of the Holy Spirit (Romans 2:28 - 29, Colossians 2:11 - 13). Those in Christ are becoming a new creation, with godly character being created by the power of God's Spirit (2Corinthians 5:17, Ephesians 2:10; 4:23 - 24).

http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/meaning-of-numbers-in-bible/8.html

View attachment 17649
Btw, @Red Sky at Morning , 14 means salvation and 3 means resurrection and 17 has those both. :)

When I was still being NARly (New Apostolic Reformation-y), I kept chasing numbers since my friends did, looking for angels and whatnot. Being all "woo woo spiritual". 14 came up for me a lot and since it is about Yeshua/Jesus (salvation in the very name), I can look back and see it as YHVH practically screaming at me through circumstances and random 14 sightings that He was going to save me. Baruch HaShem! Not unto us, but unto His Name be the glory (Psalm 115:1).

Happy Hanukkah!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Btw, @Red Sky at Morning , 14 means salvation and 3 means resurrection and 17 has those both. :)

When I was still being NARly (New Apostolic Reformation-y), I kept chasing numbers since my friends did, looking for angels and whatnot. Being all "woo woo spiritual". 14 came up for me a lot and since it is about Yeshua/Jesus (salvation in the very name), I can look back and see it as YHVH practically screaming at me through circumstances and random 14 sightings that He was going to save me. Baruch HaShem! Not unto us, but unto His Name be the glory (Psalm 115:1).

Happy Hanukkah!
Have you ever wondered about those 153 fish that were caught when Jesus appeared to the disciples after his resurrection?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+21:1-14&version=KJV

360px-153_Triangular (1).gif

The number 153 has several mathematical properties. It is the sum of the first 17 integers and is also the sum of the first five positive factorials, 1! + 2! + 3! + 4! + 5!. The number 153 is associated with the geometric shape known as the Vesica Piscis or Mandorla. Archimedes, in his Measurement of a Circle, referred to this ratio (153/265), as constituting the "measure of the fish", this ratio being an imperfect representation of 1/√3.

As a triangular number, 153 is the sum of the first 17 integers, and is also the sum of the first five positive factorials: 1!+2!+3!+4!+5! [1]

The number 153 is also a hexagonal number, and a truncated triangle number, meaning that 1, 15, and 153 are all triangle numbers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/153_(number)

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar

Jesus was crucified on Friday Nisan 14 33 AD and resurrected on Sunday 16 Nisan 33 AD.

I have proven this so... and i can prove it again if you want.

TokiEl

Superstar
Have you ever wondered about those 153 fish that were caught when Jesus appeared to the disciples after his resurrection?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+21:1-14&version=KJV

View attachment 17656

The number 153 has several mathematical properties. It is the sum of the first 17 integers and is also the sum of the first five positive factorials, 1! + 2! + 3! + 4! + 5!. The number 153 is associated with the geometric shape known as the Vesica Piscis or Mandorla. Archimedes, in his Measurement of a Circle, referred to this ratio (153/265), as constituting the "measure of the fish", this ratio being an imperfect representation of 1/√3.

As a triangular number, 153 is the sum of the first 17 integers, and is also the sum of the first five positive factorials: 1!+2!+3!+4!+5! [1]

The number 153 is also a hexagonal number, and a truncated triangle number, meaning that 1, 15, and 153 are all triangle numbers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/153_(number)
Yes i have thought about it and i think 153 is the number of all the generations from Adam to this last last one.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The implication is that the Feasts of the Lord in the Temple was founded on important moments of a human gestation.

And so we can understand and appreciate that a human being is very valuable to God. And in fact His true Temple.
And the million dollar question...

How did the ancient Hebrews know ANYTHING about what was going on during the invisible stages of gestation without divine insight?

Todd

Star
Jesus was crucified on Friday Nisan 14 33 AD and resurrected on Sunday 16 Nisan 33 AD.

I have proven this so... and i can prove it again if you want.
Jesus prophesied he would be in the grave 3 days and 3 nights. How does Friday to Sunday equal three days and three nights?

TokiEl

Superstar
Jesus prophesied he would be in the grave 3 days and 3 nights. How does Friday to Sunday equal three days and three nights?
That is like asking how a glass half empty can equal a glass half full.

No i see your point and i agree from our culture and perspective today... we would not say it like that. So i don't know maybe you can look into it and report back.

But He was crucified on a Friday because what was translated as Preparation is the Greek word παρασκευή (paraskeue) which is still Friday in Greece. And He resurrected early morning on the first day of the week which is Sunday.

Besides 14 Nisan which is the Lord's Passover was on a Friday in 33 AD.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Jesus Plus Nothing Bible Studies
The Feasts of the Lord: The Resurrection - Jesus in the Feast of First Fruits

by I Gordon

Introduction

This is the third in the series examining the feasts of the Lord. We saw that the first two feasts, Passover and Unleavened bread, had their Messianic fulfillment in the death and burial of the Lord Jesus. Any ideas what event this feast, first fruits, would then speak of? Ok, so it's best I don't give away prizes for getting this one right because it is hopefully pretty straight forward! The feast of first fruits is all about the resurrection of Jesus. Like the first two feasts, we shall find that God is very specific again on the day that this should be celebrated and for good reason as we shall see...

http://jesusplusnothing.com/studies/online/FeastOfFirstFruits.htm