The Greatest Ever Book You've Ever Read Ever

As a muslim i'm going to stick with the Quran. Not purely because "i'm supposed to" but because I have read the bible, several timesover, i've read the Bhagvad Gita and tons of vedanta stuff..and of course the tao te ching and every time I went back to the Quran I found those philosophies were contained in the Quran and still find more and more.
People who take the Quran merely at face value, are missing out.
I don't look at the Quran as a closed book but as a gateway.

Etagloc

Superstar
As a muslim i'm going to stick with the Quran. Not purely because "i'm supposed to" but because I have read the bible, several timesover, i've read the Bhagvad Gita and tons of vedanta stuff..and of course the tao te ching and every time I went back to the Quran I found those philosophies were contained in the Quran and still find more and more.
People who take the Quran merely at face value, are missing out.
I don't look at the Quran as a closed book but as a gateway.
How do you mean it's a gateway?

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
It might not be the greatest book ever or even the greatest book I ever read, but when you posed the question this book jumped immediately to mind. Gardens of Stone by Nicholas Proffit has to be one of my all-time favs. Forget the movie by Francis Ford Coppola. Don't get me wrong, the movie is pretty good but FFC left out all of the Vietnam parts of the book (probably didn't want to shoot another "war" movie after Apocalypse Now, so he stuck more to the domestic side of the book which left out some pretty big subplots). Anyway, the book is pretty good and more importantly the book is honest. Kinda has a bit of a Pat Conroy vibe if you know what I mean... (<>..<>)

P>S> As for the books mentioned like The Bible, The Quran etc. I don't consider those to be books so much as tomes, so I didn't go in that direction with my choice (<>..<>)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1891397.Gardens_of_Stone

Last edited:

Sunshine

Established
My top three are all sci-fi. "Dune" (and most of it's sequels) by Frank Herbert; Asimov's opus "Foundation," and "Ringworld" by Larry Niven. What can I say, I like getting my mind blown. (In a good way....)

llleopard

Established
I hadn't read this since high school, but read it (and Animal Farm) aloud to my husband as we drove round the south island this year. (He didn't learn to read till he was 30, and missed a lot of literature, so we do a lot of this!) - it blew me away all over again, and the number of references to it in popular culture keeps astonishing me. Always relevant.

Antipapirus

Established
@Sunshine and @Thunderian

I've heard good things about Dune. I'll have to check it out- see what the hype's about.

I've read all the Dune books
I cant remember the exact numbers but above 12 books
If you like a lot of blah blah and politics and stuff they are really good and well written

If you like billions of people get blown to Valhalla, massive space battles and crazy ass robots
I recommend -
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad

Dune: The Machine Crusade

Dune: The Battle of Corrin

minuteman223

Established
It would be hard for me to chose just one book as a favorite, since I have read so many over the years. So I have picked a few that should pique the interests of those in this forum looking for something to read.

A great look into the world of finance, and who owns everything, will also give you a few hints into Admiralty Law .

How the " LAW " works .

The first book written about this wonderful institution , I like this better than The Creature from Jekyll island.

Have gotten into archeology the past few years, puts the Darwin theory into shame. Some truth about the very long history of modern man on this planet.

Forever Light

Veteran
Yes, I'd put Dune and the first two sequels right up there.
I've read all the Dune books
It's also the little death that brings total obliteration.
The movie Dune, has quite a few interesting things in it too. Including things about prophecy and such. If interested, there is quite an interesting article about Dune at this link, which explains some things about what the movie actually shows about this world we are living in. All the way down to exposing exactly who it is that really runs the world (i.e. who The Guild is); and what the spice "Melange" means, and also who the Jeserit sisters really are, so if you happen to like Dune, it may be something to check out.