The Giants/Nephilim in the Bible.

phipps

Star
The Bible is the story of redemption of man. It is primarily about the relationship between mankind and mankind’s Creator and Redeemer. Bible history is the history of the godly line – Adam, Seth, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, the Hebrew nation, Jesus Christ, the apostles, and true Christians. So it is logical that a reference to “the sons of God” is a reference to the antediluvian godly line, those few people who were faithful to God and this is supported by the entire Bible on the subject. "But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name" (John 1:12).

Those who don't study the Bible much or are taught by people who teach false doctrine, are prone to believe strange ideas that have no foundation in God's Word such as angels breeding with humans etc. The Bible never suggests such a crazy idea.

As Christians we should study the Bible prayerfully to find out what God is saying to us not to establish what we believe.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
In the Bible being a giant isn’t always about size. We find many giants recorded in the Bible, but they were giants because of their characters, not their height.

Gideon, David, and Jeroboam are all described as mighty men of valour (Numbers 13:1–33; Judges 6–7; 1 Samuel 16; 1 Kings 11).

Caleb and Joshua, Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, and Moses were all giants of faith, believing and trusting in God (Numbers 13; Hebrews 11).

Daniel stood tall in the courts of Nebuchadnezzar, Darius, and Cyrus, and Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego stood tall on the plain of Dura.

These giants for God weren’t always perfect, but we will see every one of them in His kingdom. It isn’t the physical size of a man that makes him a giant; it is his spiritual connection to God.

“Let us take hold of the arm of infinite power. Let us walk humbly before God, but let us be giants in meeting discouragement and difficulty. We must have increased faith. Let us praise God. He is our strength, our shield, and our defense, our front guard and our rearward.” Pamphlet 067, 17

phipps

Star
Sons of God in the Old Testament.

In the Old Testament the phrase “son(s)/children of God” designates three types of persons:

The heavenly beings who met with the Lord in the divine council:

Job 1:6, "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them."

Job 2:1, "Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord."

At the moment of creation we are told that “the morning stars sang together, And all the sons of God shouted for joy?” (Job 38:7).

The people of God are called “the children of the Lord your God.”

Deuteronomy 14:1, You are the children of the Lord your God; you shall not cut yourselves nor shave the front of your head for the dead."

Hosea 2:1, "Say to your brethren, ‘My people,’ And to your sisters, ‘Mercy is shown.’ "

Isaiah 45:11, "Thus says the Lord, The Holy One of Israel, and his Maker: “Ask Me of things to come concerning My sons; And concerning the work of My hands, you command Me."

They became God’s children through creation and redemption, "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, ‘Thus says the Lord: “Israel is My son, My firstborn. So I say to you, let My son go that he may serve Me. But if you refuse to let him go, indeed I will kill your son, your firstborn” (Exodus 4:22-23).

Finally, the Israelite king was called the “Son of God.”

2 Samuel 7:14, "I will be his Father, and he shall be My son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the blows of the sons of men."

God appointed the king as “my firstborn”

Psalm 89:27, "Also I will make him My firstborn, The highest of the kings of the earth."

Psalm 2:7, "I will declare the decree: The Lord has said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You."

In these cases the word “son” is used figuratively. Heavenly beings are sons of God through creation; the people of God are God’s children through creation and redemption; and the king becomes a son of God through his appointment as king. In the Bible God does not have children through natural conception and birth.