The General Distrust Of The Medical System

manama

Star
People who truly have chronic pain aren’t typically going to abuse them.

The opioid epidemic came about because the CDC doesn’t differentiate between overdoses/deaths caused by illegal street narcotics like heroin, Chinese-made illicit Fentanyl VS. legitimate, doctor-prescribed analgesics that are taken as prescribed, under a doctor’s care.

Two completely different scenarios & users and yet, the death rates & overdoses come almost exclusively from NON-chronic pain patients who are using street drugs like heroin recreationally, but the statistics don’t differentiate or reflect that.... they are lumped together as one single statistic, making it appear that pain patients with legally prescribed opioids who ARE following their doctor’s orders, and ARE compliant in using their medications properly (which can be proven by all the rules patients must follow in their pain contract just to remain a patient & receive treatment like: must use one pharmacy, can only receive pain meds from one doctor, pill counts, random urine screens, etc.)

So the legit chronic pain patients who ARE following their doctor’s orders are getting penalized by the addicts that use recreationally .
https://thewaronchronicpainpatients.com/
Thats what i said.

Doctors can't do shit for this because they aren't the ones making the laws and the ones making the laws are doing a bad job which forces the doctors to either not prescribe painkillers or do it in smaller doses.

Lurker

Star
This is like the antibiotic-resistant bacteria problem. People are quick to bandwagon on the prescriptions but at the end of the day, the fact is that the whole resistance thing is happening because people don't listen to the doctor's advice.
I'll disagree. The resistance problem stems from the antibiotic use in factory farming.

manama

Star
I'll disagree. The resistance problem stems from the antibiotic use in factory farming.
Nope, Its from incorrect usage. The time gap that is given to you by the doctor is the time it takes to weaken the bacterial strain so the next dose can further weaken it before it can mutate and it goes on until the bacteria is completely killed. You increase the distance between the dosages and now you have given the bacteria time to adapt to the antibiotic giving it resistance.

justjess

Superstar
Nope, Its from incorrect usage. The time gap that is given to you by the doctor is the time it takes to weaken the bacterial strain so the next dose can further weaken it before it can mutate and it goes on until the bacteria is completely killed. You increase the distance between the dosages and now you have given the bacteria time to adapt to the antibiotic giving it resistance.
Except most scripts just say take twice a day. No time gap specified.

manama

Star
Except most scripts just say take twice a day. No time gap specified.
Then twice a "day" it is which usually means morning and night (or evening instead of night but that is always specified). What people do is that they skip their meds. Some take it in the morning, don't take it at night but do it the next day. Or take incorrect dosage than prescribed like 1 instead of 2. THAT creates resistance because its similar to getting a human body used to poison by administering it slowly over time instead of the required dose to kill.

justjess

Superstar
Maybe drs should just be more explicit in their instructions then. Rather than assuming people know that. Not everyone has medical knowledge.

manama

Star
Then ask the doctor. They treat hundreds of patients a day, should they be assuming that someone doesn't know what "2 pills" means and takes 1? Stop blaming a group that isn't responsible for this stupidity. Yes, not all doctors are angels, some do end up prescribing wrong and all that. But you can't just blame them all.

Doctors keep telling people to vaccinate too. People with medical knowledge have been telling that too. People still don't vaccinate, you think meds would be any different? There are patients that you have to say to "Do not eat anything before the procedure/surgery or you will die" and they come to the hospital after having a full meal and bunch of coffee. We tell people with diabetes to not eat sugary food, they still do it. But no doctors are bad, people good.

justjess

Superstar
Then ask the doctor. They treat hundreds of patients a day, should they be assuming that someone doesn't know what "2 pills" means and takes 1? Stop blaming a group that isn't responsible for this stupidity. Yes, not all doctors are angels, some do end up prescribing wrong and all that. But you can't just blame them all.

Doctors keep telling people to vaccinate too. People with medical knowledge have been telling that too. People still don't vaccinate, you think meds would be any different? There are patients that you have to say to "Do not eat anything before the procedure/surgery or you will die" and they come to the hospital after having a full meal and bunch of coffee. We tell people with diabetes to not eat sugary food, they still do it. But no doctors are bad, people good.
I’m not blaming doctors and you are really kinda going for the jugular unnecessarily. Yeah take two pills a day is self explanatory. But if what that means is take one every twelve hours it should say that instead. And doctors should explain to their patients WHY and HOW to take these things properly - they are the experts and we are paying them for their services. They aren’t doing us a favor for free.

manama

Star
It’s probably not personal...;)
No its personal. Justjess stole my first born last night.

I’m not blaming doctors and you are really kinda going for the jugular unnecessarily. Yeah take two pills a day is self explanatory. But if what that means is take one every twelve hours it should say that instead. And doctors should explain to their patients WHY and HOW to take these things properly - they are the experts and we are paying them for their services. They aren’t doing us a favor for free.
Idk most doctors would probably say it, if they don't its because they either forgot or they've assumed that you know. Ask them the questions then. If you are paying them, then you should be free to ask things. If they don't answer, just get a different doctor. Communication is very necessary.

justjess

Superstar
No its personal. Justjess stole my first born last night.

Idk most doctors would probably say it, if they don't its because they either forgot or they've assumed that you know. Ask them the questions then. If you are paying them, then you should be free to ask things. If they don't answer, just get a different doctor. Communication is very necessary.
I’ve been to the dr hundreds of times with my husband and children. They’ve never once said that, nor was it in the instructions with the script. You actually kinda shocked me because I hadn’t known that. I give meds at 9am and 9pm if someone needs them but that’s just because it works with my schedule not because I knew I had to.

Do you live in the USA? I get that our doctors are under a lot of pressure to turn over patients quickly by the insurance companies... but I wish they would push back. I’m not blaming the drs, I’m blaming the system. Even my adhd situation... the dr was an ass but overall it was pressure from the school because the way reimbursements are structured they needed him to be ADhd to recoup 100% of the funding for his special services. Bipolar is only partially reimbursed. Many mental health disorders look alike and psychiatrists generally don’t specialize in certain types because they need to be able to bring in the highest volume of patients as mentioned above. It’s a broken cycle, and the people who lose are the patients.

I’m not anti dr or anti medicine. I am pro doing your own research because the way the system is right now isn’t how it was when I was younger and you need to advocate for yourself.

manama

Star
I’ve been to the dr hundreds of times with my husband and children. They’ve never once said that, nor was it in the instructions with the script. You actually kinda shocked me because I hadn’t known that. I give meds at 9am and 9pm if someone needs them but that’s just because it works with my schedule not because I knew I had to.

Do you live in the USA? I get that our doctors are under a lot of pressure to turn over patients quickly by the insurance companies... but I wish they would push back. I’m not blaming the drs, I’m blaming the system. Even my adhd situation... the dr was an ass but overall it was pressure from the school because the way reimbursements are structured they needed him to be ADhd to recoup 100% of the funding for his special services. Bipolar is only partially reimbursed. Many mental health disorders look alike and psychiatrists generally don’t specialize in certain types because they need to be able to bring in the highest volume of patients as mentioned above. It’s a broken cycle, and the people who lose are the patients.

I’m not anti dr or anti medicine. I am pro doing your own research because the way the system is right now isn’t how it was when I was younger and you need to advocate for yourself.
No i definitely don't live in the USA and according to my knowledge, USA is probably one of the worst places to get sick at. I read how someone had to file for bankruptcy because they broke an arm. That is horrifying. Any place that doesn't have healthcare is just a big no no.
I don't live in a place that is super advanced when it comes to medicine but we don't have that problem. Some people can get chemo for free. Amen for that.

justjess

Superstar
That may be why some of these responses seem so off to you.. it’s hard not to be jaded when our medical system is so entirely broken. Our school system too.

manama

Star
That may be why some of these responses seem so off to you.. it’s hard not to be jaded when our medical system is so entirely broken. Our school system too.
I wonder about that. Why would you distrust a doctor or call him out for not prescribing painkillers to you when you know that the law could get him sued or fired for it? I feel like the entire "distrust" or anger or whatever should be towards the law regarding this and not someone who can't do shit about it.

justjess

Superstar
I wonder about that. Why would you distrust a doctor or call him out for not prescribing painkillers to you when you know that the law could get him sued or fired for it? I feel like the entire "distrust" or anger or whatever should be towards the law regarding this and not someone who can't do shit about it.
The problem is there are allowances in the law for drs to prescribe it but they are all so scared of a malpractice suit they’ve stopped using their discernment. The pendulum has swung too far. People need to be treated on an individual basis and the current climate doesn’t allow it.

Drs are on the frontlines. They are the only people actually interacting with the patients so it makes sense they are getting the brunt of the blowback.

Our whole entire system is broken. That’s what you need to understand here. And the “solutions” are only making things worse, because no one is addressing the underlying issues.

Why do we have the opiate crisis? As much as I’d like to blame the pharmaceutical companies (and they certainly exploited it alongside some drs) they aren’t the cause of it. We have an opiate crisis because people’s lives are fucking miserable. And until we fix that nothing else is going to matter or make a dent in it.

manama

Star
The problem is there are allowances in the law for drs to prescribe it but they are all so scared of a malpractice suit they’ve stopped using their discernment. The pendulum has swung too far. People need to be treated on an individual basis and the current climate doesn’t allow it.

Drs are on the frontlines. They are the only people actually interacting with the patients so it makes sense they are getting the brunt of the blowback.

Our whole entire system is broken. That’s what you need to understand here. And the “solutions” are only making things worse, because no one is addressing the underlying issues.

Why do we have the opiate crisis? As much as I’d like to blame the pharmaceutical companies (and they certainly exploited it alongside some drs) they aren’t the cause of it. We have an opiate crisis because people’s lives are fucking miserable. And until we fix that nothing else is going to matter or make a dent in it.
But this is the thing. People are blaming the doctors and scientists for something that is out of their control instead of blaming the people that are actually the backbone of the problem. And its doing absolutely nothing more than uneducated ones start creating conspiracies that amount to BS which then end up causing deaths.

It is definitely the lawmakers, DEA & CDC that are the perpetrators of the opiate crisis, and that is who I have a problem with most of all.

Especially since, here in the U.S. and in Texas, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to even get prescribed even a mild opioid like Norco 5-10 mg for long-term chronic pain (more than a 3-5 day supply) UNLESS you can PROVE to the doctor that you indeed have chronic physical pain via MRI’s, which must be repeated & updated bi-annually to show the continual presence and/or progression of a chronic, physically painful condition.

So, the doctors KNOW that chronic pain patients ARE in actual, intractable physical pain.

The CDC (HOW & why they even have any authority to be involved in this to begin with is mystifying) has essentially set a “one size fits all” approach to a vast, varying complex spectrum of painful disorders & diseases that simply cannot be successfully managed or treated as a single symptom defined by the word “pain”.

It MUST be individualized or people WILL (and ARE) die, commit suicide or even seek pain control on the streets, which will create new addicts & more overdoses.

polymoog

Superstar
Some people can get chemo for free. Amen for that.
free radiation. fantastic. thats just what we need.

i thought we had moved past idiotic medical procedures, like hysterectomies for female hysteria in the 19th century.

settled.jpg

the medical field has value only for mechanical/repair issues with the human body: reattaching a limb, bone grafts, or hip replacements. like jess said, the prescriptions are BS and ridiculous.

manama

Star
free radiation. fantastic. thats just what we need.

i thought we had moved past idiotic medical procedures, like hysterectomies for female hysteria in the 19th century.

View attachment 23557

the medical field has value only for mechanical/repair issues with the human body: reattaching a limb, bone grafts, or hip replacements. like jess said, the prescriptions are BS and ridiculous.
I hope you are joking because I genuinely feel bad for anyone who has to put up with you irl.

You cure cancer then without that radiation. Or how about you mention it to people in countries like the US who would sell their soul for that free radiation as they watch their loved ones die because of lack of money.

I swear to God, some of you are so out of touch with reality, it's pitiful.