The FCC shot down Net Neutrality

Victoria

Rookie
I'm not surprised that they decided to do this despite 83% of Americans wanting to keep it. Ajit Pai is bought and paid for by the big telecom companies.

I am surprised at the amount of disinformation going around on both sides of the argument.

RIP Internet as we know it and have known it.

The Zone

Star
Okay...I was all for Net Neut but then did some deep research. First of all, that poll is inaccurate. Secondly, they are paying people on social media to act as if they lost access and to scream. One must understand that there are companies benefiting from having it. Take a look at the names, like Amazon, Google (which has weighted NN positive articles), Facebook which support keeping it. Do the research and not fall for the arms in the air stuff for did you not have access to the web before NN happened?

Now, there is some good to it. If you have crappy access to the web in the US, competition will now come in and raise the bar, meaning better, faster service. And...now read this carefully, look at all the better deals on cell phone packages of late. That is what can happen to opening things up. Prices will not necessarily go up for they still have to cater to the public ... meaning they have to give you a good product or someone will undercut them.

Getting rid of NN means more choices. It is true that some can hit you fees but that will not last long due,again, to comp just like your phone services and the lower prices via data war and extras we are seeing now.

What they want you to think is that your intenet will go up while not telling you the sucky quality o it in the US which is some of the worst in the world is because of NN and that no other companies under the structure want to come in and spend money to improve it or take on those who have the market cornered. (<run on sentence)

There has been tons of money spent to on fake accounts (look it up, do the work) that are pushing hard to keep it. They are making noise to keep it as is where companies will not have to invest in ways to make it faster and better.

Now, as I said, I was all for it before doing research. Heck, I was ready to lead a march or something....Most of the stuff you are being fed is like a political ad with bogus information, such as most of Americans want to keep it when those polls are taken after they feed you the line, it will end your world. They want you to think your bill is going up while not letting you know how much better the quality can become by allowing companies to compete for your money. They are hoo-dooing you.

FWIW, I can live with it or without it. But, do some homework.

Free-market advocates say paid prioritization in other industries, such as highway toll roads, have spurred investment that benefit the larger public. In this case, that could mean more investment in broadband infrastructure, such as expanding and improving wireless and fiber networks that would increase internet access and overall data speeds.

But supporters of net neutrality say consumers could be charged extra to stream certain content if they don’t want to be hampered by network congestion. Others have warned that customer choice of internet service providers could shrink and prices could increase.

They cannot block access to sites without pissing off customers who will then go to another service. At the present time there is no incentive for companies to dump money into improvements with NN as it stands. I still say, that just like the cell companies, competition will keep any one service from majorly ripping you off after doing the research. Besides, if they go to a jacked up model, it would just bring back NN to stay in due time.

Last edited:

SkepticCat

Veteran
Great research, Zone! I do wonder if [expect] this will not be used to block access to 'undesirable fake news websites' eventually, though.

Wikipedia said:
Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers must treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.[4] For instance, under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content.
... so without Net Neutrality, according to this they will be able to 'intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites'...

Remember this?

https://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/uk-is-about-to-filter-out-internet-adult-sites-and-esoteric-material/

'esoteric'! Better not have the proles finding out what all the symbolism means! Whatever comes of NN, I think it's safe to assume they do want to shut down access to certain kinds of information.

They cannot block access to sites without pissing off customers who will then go to another service.
Right, provided 'another service' does exist. Moreover, same as how many don't follow or care what legislation gets pushed through, if the major service providers do block off certain websites it will end up meaning a huge amount of people won't be accessing those sites. The 'war on 'fake news'' certainly is already on, no doubt about it...

The Zone

Star
It is very complicated and either way there are overlords. With to your last question on if there is another choice, well, that is vital. I am hoping like phone companies, that there will be competition for your dollar, thus money spent. People must have web access now and even more-so than a smart phone in some cases.

I agree they want to shut down something on both sides. But as it stands now with NN, is that not already going on? You Tube frowns on sites some here frequent and has taken their funding. Amazon is the whore seller in the industry and wants to keep total control via NN. They fear middle men or some taking a piece of the consumer/user pie. Either way, there is no great solution for someone benefits.

They have embedded in peoples minds via ads and bots on social media that your freedom is threatened when in fact it already has been compromised. People like you and I are just money mice that keep the wheel turning for said overlords.

But considering the tech companies have already put forth blocks and censorship such as Amazon, Facebook, Google and Twitter, I say open it up. It cannot get much worse than it is now and stands to actually lean back towards free speech. That is what I am concerned with...free speech and the ability to think freely without being herded into mind prisons by the thought police.

So, I do not trust the phone giants of the world and internet providers, but I trust the tech giants even less seeing as how they have manipulated things. For instance, it is already hard for someone in Europe to access this site. That is from Google and FB's exploits. Now, the question is will it stay that way anyhow. It is a very, very complex issue.

DesertRose

Superstar
It seems to me that, Trump helps his billionaire friends at the expense of, 'We the people."
This is just the beginning.

Last edited:

The Zone

Star
This was not a Trump thing anymore than a republican thing. As I said, this is a foggy situation where you take the side of Tech Giants with NN or data providers without. So, it is evil and evil with one evil being the slightly better choice for overall service and free economy comp.

The Zone

Star
How does NN allow them to have more control?
Isn't You Tube, which is owned by Google already censoring videos? Hasn't google and facebook blocked articles they do not want people to see or read? Isn't Amazon trying to take over all your consumer needs? Doesn't facebook work with other countries to their political whims?

The tech giants currently control how things are run on the web. With open competition, others are given tools to battle that. Hype would have you believe that NN allows for open access to all site equally, when in fact that is not only false but comical that they would have you think losing NN means more censorship. Some of the sites which google currently hides would have channels for people to see them. The playing field is already slanted and there is major money pushing sites via bots and propaganda to convince you that losing NN is the end of the world and or it will benefit only the rich. They want people on the web no matter their income and they will not price them oout and make it only for the elite.

Again, this is a complicated issue with arguments on both sides and only personal research will answer all of your questions. Check out the facts and not what side some tell you to be on.

mecca

Superstar
With open competition
We already have competition, companies are just not allowed to mess with someone else's service to make theirs look better or run better.
Hype would have you believe that NN allows for open access to all site equally
It's not hype. That's literally what net neutrality means. That's what net neutrality rules protect. Title II says that they can't "make any unjust or unreasonable discrimination in charges, practices, classifications, regulations, facilities, or services."

Last edited:

The Zone

Star
You are avoiding what I am saying with concern to how the web can be faster and better and companies will spend money to make it such in competition for your dollar. If their fees go up as NN supporters are saying government would move back to it.

The main point you missed was that there is already censorship and therefore is is NOT open and equal for all.

Charges are one thing and censorship is my main point and quite different in nature. You have to study both sides of the fence. Title II does not protect against what is already in place, that being censorship. Did you read what I wrote? It just seems like you are being selective and Devils Advocate like on a couple of sentences.

Like I said, it is complicated and you have to get past what we are being fed. Neither choice is ideal but NN is disguised as something it is not. There is zero proof the new powers would stick it to you. While they can and I am don't fully trust them, it makes business sense not to scare people away. One more time, look at current cell companies and the rates getting lower and packages (finally) more reasonable and better. The same can happen without NN.

Is this about what they can and cannot charge or is it about what they can and cannot tell you is a site they prefer you to browse? I believe we should hear all opinions and voices even sites like this which were under attack by NN and the tech companies.

By ending net neutrality, the Restoring Internet Freedom Order gets government out of the business of telling ISPs how to run their networks. This puts consumers and private businesses back in charge of how the internet operates.

Supporters of net neutrality say that it protected everyday Americans from having their internet slowed down or their favorite websites blocked by a greedy, evil internet service provider. Others have said net neutrality made sure free speech wasn’t stifled by ISPs. These claims are nothing more than myths.

Market forces already protected consumers, because if an ISP started deliberately slowing down people’s favorite websites and streaming services, or putting an end to free speech, consumers would simply switch to a different ISP.

No internet service provider wants to be known for having “slow service” or being “anti-free-speech,” so there’s nothing for consumers to worry about.

Further, if a rogue ISP does decide to start unjustly penalizing a business or group of consumers, the Federal Trade Commission and FCC will still be able to stop these actions through their other regulatory powers.

Perhaps most importantly, if net neutrality was so important, why is it that the internet was able to grow and operate so successfully from its creation all the way until 2015 without any of these dire problems?

Make no mistake about it, net neutrality wasn’t really about paid prioritization or ensuring internet “fairness.” The truth is that net neutrality was passed by the Obama administration to give more power over the internet to the federal government.

If paid prioritization agreements could be regulated under an 80-year-old telephone utilities law, the federal government could do just about anything it wants to control the internet, including banning websites that government bureaucrats don’t like.

The internet has been wildly successful because it’s largely been left free to operate without significant government mandates and controls.

Last edited:

rainerann

Star
This was an interesting article if anyone is interested. I am still undecided how I feel about this subject entirely. However, I am leaning towards the opinion that we don't need the FCC to regulate the internet in a competitive marketplace. It would be different if this were releasing control to a monopoly, but that isn't the case.

I also had no idea that cell phone companies aren't under the same net neutrality regulations. The article mentions this and I thought it was a good point. If cell phone providers are not obligated to abide by net neutrality regulations and there is no real evidence to suggest that this has increased censorship because of this, then it does seem possible that this isn't going to usher in censorship.

Personally, I don't really feel like we need an organization like the FCC having this kind of control either. It might be better to distribute this control to smaller entities anyways. I guess I am openminded at the moment to the possibility that this isn't a death sentance. People are getting crazy over this. This does motivate me to consider the possibility that this isn't a bad thing because if people can't present a rational argument and choose to act crazy like this, I do start to question the argument they support a little bit. I read somewhere that one guy made a death threat to a congressman if he didn't vote to keep net neutrality. That's just crazy to me.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/18613/7-reasons-net-neutrality-idiotic-aaron-bandler