The earth is flat

Etagloc

Superstar
I wouldnt be surprised if it is. They lied about everything else, why not the biggest lie aswell?
That part.

I mean... I don't personally believe it's flat. But as much as they lie... I wouldn't be that shocked if it turned out the flat earthers were right.

Wigi

Veteran
Tell me why truth is important ...about anything ? In this case it kind shows ability to detach yourself from ages long mass indoctrination. It's a huge victory on personal level.
I think the truth can stand for itself and we don't have any power against the truth.(2 Corinthians 13:8)

Earlier, i've mentioned Greeks believing the earth was flat until Eratosthenes calculated earth's circumference.

I basically understood that you think 'flat earth' lead people to God. I can hear that but what are your thoughts on atheist flat earthers ?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4547782

I've also read flat earthers who accepts macroevolution so it means they don't deem all scientists as agents of lucifer.

Johannes Kepler was a young earth creationist, he argued for heliocentrism, he knew the earth wasn't flat and it wasn't a problem at all for his relationship with God and the Bible.

That's why I don't understand the issue in the first place.

And what does gravity has to do with those quotes ? Read before replaying
I'm talking about Revelation 6:13, 1 Chronicles 16:30 and the events of Joshua where the sun stood still.

Vytas

Star
I think the truth can stand for itself and we don't have any power against the truth.(2 Corinthians 13:8)

Earlier, i've mentioned Greeks believing the earth was flat until Eratosthenes calculated earth's circumference.

I basically understood that you think 'flat earth' lead people to God. I can hear that but what are your thoughts on atheist flat earthers ?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4547782

I've also read flat earthers who accepts macroevolution so it means they don't deem all scientists as agents of lucifer.

Johannes Kepler was a young earth creationist, he argued for heliocentrism, he knew the earth wasn't flat and it wasn't a problem at all for his relationship with God and the Bible.

That's why I don't understand the issue in the first place.

I'm talking about Revelation 6:13, 1 Chronicles 16:30 and the events of Joshua where the sun stood still.
2 Corinthians 13:8. By your interpretation deception doesn't exist and we live in perfect world where truth is available for everyone ? Is that is what you saying?

All kind of people exist. That is not a proof of anything. Just a mirror of sources we read , understanding we have. In your link that person doesn't believe earth is a ball. That's basically all he says, his knowledge is tip of the iceberg. delving deeper changes things.

We clone humans and create cyborgs but your beloved gravity is still a theory, think about it...

elsbet

Superstar
Objective reality is that the world is a sphere that revolves around the Sun. We have known this long before science proved it.
Blather. Unless you have personally hovered over the stratosphere, you know nothing outside what you've been told, by the capitalist power structure you (claim to) hate.

Blather. Unless you have personally hovered over the stratosphere, you know nothing outside what you've been told, by the capitalist power structure you (claim to) hate.
"The church says the earth is flat; but I have seen its shadow on the moon, and I have more confidence even in a shadow than in the church."

- Magellan

TokiEl

Superstar
It is dispiriting to wake up to one lie after another in a seemingly never ending stream of lies from our so called leaders and experts. And i know i would not cope if not for my confidence in the Father and Jesus Christ and the Holy spirit.

Some call that crutches... but God is not a crutch silly man.

elsbet

Superstar
"The church says the earth is flat; but I have seen its shadow on the moon, and I have more confidence even in a shadow than in the church."

- Magellan
That has what to do with the previous post?

Unless you're highlighting the duplicity of Magellan, who worked for the church?

TokiEl

Superstar
It is an undisputable fact...

that the sun at noon is in south above the equator and is in north below the equator.

that the sun around the summer solstice does not set above the artic circle... it's called midnightsun and i've seen it.

What can be deduced from those two undisputable facts... is that the earth is either circling around or spiraling after the sun along the equator or the sun is circling around or spiraling after the earth along the earth's equator... in the shape of spheres.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Universe Confirms the Bible

In this chapter, we will explore some passages of Scripture which touch upon the topics of astronomy and astrophysics. It is interesting that many of the Bible’s statements about astronomy went against the generally accepted teachings of the time. Undoubtedly, many of these verses would have seemed counter-intuitive, and may have been difficult to believe when they were first written. However, modern science has confirmed what the Bible has taught. As in all things, the Bible is absolutely correct when it teaches about the universe.

The Earth Is Round

The Bible indicates that the earth is round. Consider Isaiah 40:22 which mentions the “circle of the earth.” This description is certainly fitting—particularly when the earth is viewed from space; the earth always appears as a circle since it is round.

Another verse that indicates the spherical nature of our planet is Job 26:10. This verse teaches that God has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters at the boundary of light and darkness. This boundary between light and darkness (day and night) is called the “terminator” since the light stops or “terminates” there. Someone standing on the terminator would be experiencing either a sunrise or a sunset; they are going from day to night or from night to day. The terminator is always a circle, because the earth is round.

One of the great delights of observing the moon through a small telescope is to look at its terminator, especially during the first or third quarter phases when the terminator is directly down the middle of the moon. The craters are most easily seen at this boundary since the sun is at a low angle and casts very long shadows there. The moon looks particularly three-dimensional when viewed through a telescope during these phases; it is clear that the moon is a sphere—not a flat disk (see photo below).

For the earth, the terminator occurs not on a cratered rocky surface, but primarily on water (since the earth’s surface is 70 percent water). Job 26:10 suggests a “God’s eye” view of the earth. This biblical passage would be nonsense if the earth were flat, since there would be no true terminator; there is no line to “step over” that separates the day from night on a flat surface. Either it is day everywhere or night everywhere on a hypothetical “flat earth.” However, the earth does indeed have a boundary between light and darkness which is always a circle since the earth is round.

Curiously, many astronomy textbooks credit Pythagoras (c. 570–500 B.C.) with being the first person to assert that the earth is round. However, the biblical passages are older than this. Isaiah is generally acknowledged to have been written in the 700s B.C. and Job is thought to have been written around 2000 B.C. The secular astronomers before the time of Pythagoras must have thought the Bible was wrong about its teaching of a round earth, yet the Bible was exactly right. It was the secular science of the day that needed to be corrected.

The Earth Floats In Space

A very interesting verse to consider is Job 26:7 which states that God “hangs the earth on nothing.” This might evoke an image of God hanging the earth like a Christmas tree ornament, but hanging it on empty space. This verse expresses (in a poetic way) the fact that the earth is unsupported by any other object—something quite unnatural for the ancient writers to imagine. Indeed, the earth does float in space. We now have pictures of the earth taken from space that show it floating in the cosmic void. The earth literally hangs on nothing, just as the Bible teaches.

The Expansion of the Universe (@Vytas, @floss, @elsbet, read this paragraph if you read nothing else)

The Bible indicates in several places that the universe has been “stretched out” or expanded. For example, Isaiah 40:22 teaches that God “stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.” This would suggest that the universe has actually increased in size since its creation. God has stretched it out. He has expanded it (and is perhaps still expanding it). This verse must have seemed very strange when it was first written. The universe certainly doesn’t look as if it is expanding. After all, if you look at the night sky tonight, it will appear about the same size as it did the previous night, and the night before that. Ancient star maps appear virtually identical to the night sky today. Could the universe really have been expanded? It must have been hard to believe at the time.

In fact, secular scientists once believed that the universe was eternal and unchanging. The idea of an expanding universe would have been considered nonsense to most scientists of the past. It must have been tempting for Christians to reject what the Bible teaches about the expansion of the universe. Perhaps some Christians tried to “reinterpret” Isaiah 40:22, and read it in an unnatural way so that they wouldn’t have to believe in an expanding universe. When the world believes one thing, and the Bible teaches another, it is always tempting to think that God got the details wrong, but God is never wrong.

Most astronomers today believe that the universe is expanding. This expansion is a very natural result of the physics that Einstein discovered—general relativity. Moreover, there is observational evidence that the universe is indeed expanding. In the 1920s, astronomers discovered that virtually all clusters of galaxies appear to be moving away from all other clusters, this indicates that the entire universe is expanding.

This effect can be illustrated with points on a balloon. As the balloon is inflated, all points move farther away from each other (see illustration below). If the entire universe were being stretched out, the galaxies would all be moving away; and that is exactly what they appear to be doing. It is interesting that the Bible recorded the notion of an expanding universe thousands of years before secular science came to accept the idea.

Conservation of mass-energy

A very important concept in physics is the conservation of energy. This principle states that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. There are a lot of different kinds of energy; heat, light, sound, and electricity are all forms of energy. We can change one type of energy into another and we can move energy from one place to another, but the total quantity of energy in the universe is constant and cannot be changed.

There is also a conservation principle of mass. Mass is the property of an object to resist a change in its motion. Things that possess a lot of mass are very heavy; things with little mass are light. We can move mass from place to place, and transform one kind of mass into another (by a chemical reaction for example), but, just like energy, mass cannot be created nor destroyed. So both mass and energy are conserved. In fact, Einstein was able to demonstrate that all energy possesses an equivalent mass, and vice versa. To put it another way, mass and energy are really the same thing manifesting in different ways. This is the meaning of Einstein’s famous equation E=mc2. We can combine these principles into the conservation of mass-energy. Colloquially speaking, the amount of “stuff” in the universe is constant.

Conservation of mass-energy is exactly what we would expect on the basis of Scripture. First, the Bible indicates that no new material can come into existence. This is indicated in John 1:3 and Genesis 2:2. John 1:3 states that all things were made by God, and nothing has come into existence apart from Him. Furthermore, God ended His work of creation on the seventh day of the creation week, according to Genesis 2:2. Since only God can bring new things into existence from nothing, and since God ended His work of creation by the seventh day, no new material will come into existence today.

Second, the Bible suggests that nothing will cease to exist. This is because God is upholding all things by His sustaining power (Hebrews 1:3) and by Him all things consist (Colossians 1:17). Neither matter nor energy will cease to exist, because God is sustaining them, and since nothing new will come into existence, we can conclude that the amount of material in the universe is constant. Of course, the Bible makes room for miracles—supernatural interventions by God, but miracles (by definition) do not conform to the laws of physics; they are exceptions by their very nature. The universe itself obeys the law of conservation of mass-energy.

The Law of Gravity

Consider the law of gravitational attraction: F = GMm/r2.
Here, the force of gravity (F) on an object of mass (m) produced by a nearby mass (M) at a distance (r) is related by this simple equation. The parameter (G) is the gravitational constant of the universe; it sets the overall strength of gravity. G is a very tiny number, which is why gravity is weaker than the three other known fundamental forces (electromagnetism, the weak nuclear force, and the strong nuclear force). If creation were not true—if the universe had no designer—then why should gravity obey such a simple, logical formula? For that matter, why should gravity obey any formula at all? The law of gravity suggests a law-giver; it is consistent with creation.

Of course, many of the laws of nature can be derived mathematically from other laws. For example, Kepler’s laws of planetary motion can be derived from Newton’s laws of gravity and motion (classical physics). And (it is thought that) the reason gravity works the way it does is because mass “curves spacetime.” Essentially, space and time are treated as a “fabric” which is distorted by the presence of mass; the mass curves spacetime, and then spacetime tells the mass how to move. Many laws of nature depend on other laws which depend on still others, and so on. Ultimately, there must be a foundational set of principles which exist for no other reason than that God has so decreed. Ultimately, the fundamental laws of nature require a law-giver.

Read the whole article here.

The Bible clearly does not teach the earth is flat.

Last edited:

Wigi

Veteran
2 Corinthians 13:8. By your interpretation deception doesn't exist and we live in perfect world where truth is available for everyone ? Is that is what you saying?
I know deception exist and IMHO flat earth is part of it.

All kind of people exist. That is not a proof of anything. Just a mirror of sources we read , understanding we have. In your link that person doesn't believe earth is a ball. That's basically all he says, his knowledge is tip of the iceberg. delving deeper changes things.
In fact, a lot of flat earthers think that there is a huge Conspiracy about the shape of this earth when a basic knowledge of physics and scriptures make me say the earth is spherical.

It is not a problem for me if people feel better believing in a flat earth but what I can't stand it's when some flat earthers suppress the truth to fit their narrative.

We clone humans and create cyborgs but your beloved gravity is still a theory, think about it...
The law of Gravity isn't a 'theory'.
In fact the law of Gravity exist in the Bible :

"When He made a law for the rain, And a path for the thunderbolt"
Job 28:26

"These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground."
Genesis 2:4‭-‬6

"Mist is a phenomenon caused by small droplets of water suspended in air"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mist

"Rain is liquid water in the form of droplets that have condensed from atmospheric water vapor and then becomes heavy enough to fall under gravity."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
The Universe Confirms the Bible

In this chapter, we will explore some passages of Scripture which touch upon the topics of astronomy and astrophysics. It is interesting that many of the Bible’s statements about astronomy went against the generally accepted teachings of the time. Undoubtedly, many of these verses would have seemed counter-intuitive, and may have been difficult to believe when they were first written. However, modern science has confirmed what the Bible has taught. As in all things, the Bible is absolutely correct when it teaches about the universe.

The Earth Is Round

The Bible indicates that the earth is round. Consider Isaiah 40:22 which mentions the “circle of the earth.” This description is certainly fitting—particularly when the earth is viewed from space; the earth always appears as a circle since it is round.

Another verse that indicates the spherical nature of our planet is Job 26:10. This verse teaches that God has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters at the boundary of light and darkness. This boundary between light and darkness (day and night) is called the “terminator” since the light stops or “terminates” there. Someone standing on the terminator would be experiencing either a sunrise or a sunset; they are going from day to night or from night to day. The terminator is always a circle, because the earth is round.

One of the great delights of observing the moon through a small telescope is to look at its terminator, especially during the first or third quarter phases when the terminator is directly down the middle of the moon. The craters are most easily seen at this boundary since the sun is at a low angle and casts very long shadows there. The moon looks particularly three-dimensional when viewed through a telescope during these phases; it is clear that the moon is a sphere—not a flat disk (see photo below).

For the earth, the terminator occurs not on a cratered rocky surface, but primarily on water (since the earth’s surface is 70 percent water). Job 26:10 suggests a “God’s eye” view of the earth. This biblical passage would be nonsense if the earth were flat, since there would be no true terminator; there is no line to “step over” that separates the day from night on a flat surface. Either it is day everywhere or night everywhere on a hypothetical “flat earth.” However, the earth does indeed have a boundary between light and darkness which is always a circle since the earth is round.

Curiously, many astronomy textbooks credit Pythagoras (c. 570–500 B.C.) with being the first person to assert that the earth is round. However, the biblical passages are older than this. Isaiah is generally acknowledged to have been written in the 700s B.C. and Job is thought to have been written around 2000 B.C. The secular astronomers before the time of Pythagoras must have thought the Bible was wrong about its teaching of a round earth, yet the Bible was exactly right. It was the secular science of the day that needed to be corrected.

The Earth Floats In Space

A very interesting verse to consider is Job 26:7 which states that God “hangs the earth on nothing.” This might evoke an image of God hanging the earth like a Christmas tree ornament, but hanging it on empty space. This verse expresses (in a poetic way) the fact that the earth is unsupported by any other object—something quite unnatural for the ancient writers to imagine. Indeed, the earth does float in space. We now have pictures of the earth taken from space that show it floating in the cosmic void. The earth literally hangs on nothing, just as the Bible teaches.

The Expansion of the Universe (@Vytas, @floss, @elsbet, read this paragraph if you read nothing else)

The Bible indicates in several places that the universe has been “stretched out” or expanded. For example, Isaiah 40:22 teaches that God “stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.” This would suggest that the universe has actually increased in size since its creation. God has stretched it out. He has expanded it (and is perhaps still expanding it). This verse must have seemed very strange when it was first written. The universe certainly doesn’t look as if it is expanding. After all, if you look at the night sky tonight, it will appear about the same size as it did the previous night, and the night before that. Ancient star maps appear virtually identical to the night sky today. Could the universe really have been expanded? It must have been hard to believe at the time.

In fact, secular scientists once believed that the universe was eternal and unchanging. The idea of an expanding universe would have been considered nonsense to most scientists of the past. It must have been tempting for Christians to reject what the Bible teaches about the expansion of the universe. Perhaps some Christians tried to “reinterpret” Isaiah 40:22, and read it in an unnatural way so that they wouldn’t have to believe in an expanding universe. When the world believes one thing, and the Bible teaches another, it is always tempting to think that God got the details wrong, but God is never wrong.

Most astronomers today believe that the universe is expanding. This expansion is a very natural result of the physics that Einstein discovered—general relativity. ...

Read the whole article here.

The Bible clearly does not teach the earth is flat.
This article is an exercise in magical thinking-- it's trying to make the Bible conform to Mainstream 'science'... and that is ugly, any way you twist it.

Nowhere does the bible say ...

... the Universe
has been 'stretched out.'

It says the heavens --> the sky itself has been stretched out like a (veil, thin thing, or the curtain of a) tent to dwell in.

That applies to earth, only-- and necessarily so-- we cannot dwell outside of it.
inscribe
1. Write or carve (words or symbols) on something, especially as a formal or permanent record.‘his name was inscribed on the new silver trophy’...​
The terminator line is everchanging. The verse seems to denote a boundary, based on the concordance... a permanent one, at that.

In His decreeing (to cut in, inscribe, decree) a circle on the face of the deep... PROVERBS 8:27
From the article--​
For the earth, the terminator occurs ... primarily on water (since the earth’s surface is 70 percent water).

Soo... 70% -- close enough! Right? No... it isn't. If you have to bend the verse to your idea, then it is wrong.

Vytas

Star
I know deception exist and IMHO flat earth is part of it.

In fact, a lot of flat earthers think that there is a huge Conspiracy about the shape of this earth when a basic knowledge of physics and scriptures make me say the earth is spherical.

It is not a problem for me if people feel better believing in a flat earth but what I can't stand it's when some flat earthers suppress the truth to fit their narrative.

The law of Gravity isn't a 'theory'.
In fact the law of Gravity exist in the Bible :

"When He made a law for the rain, And a path for the thunderbolt"
Job 28:26

"These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground."
Genesis 2:4‭-‬6

"Mist is a phenomenon caused by small droplets of water suspended in air"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mist

"Rain is liquid water in the form of droplets that have condensed from atmospheric water vapor and then becomes heavy enough to fall under gravity."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain

Gravity is most accurately described by the general theory of relativity (proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915) which describes gravity not as a force, but as a consequence of the curvature of spacetime caused by the uneven distribution of mass.
You just look at your beliefs. :D

Your bible interpretations doesn't make any sense at all sorry....
I proved n+ times in this thread and others that bible supports flat earth. and so does observable science. All you have is theries based on other theories and nasa so stfu...

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
I proved n+ times in this thread and others that bible supports flat earth. and so does observable science. All you have is theries based on other theories and nasa so stfu...
How come the sun around noon... is in the south above the equator and at the same time in the north below the equator ?

elsbet

Superstar
That part.

I mean... I don't personally believe it's flat. But as much as they lie... I wouldn't be that shocked if it turned out the flat earthers were right.
@Etagloc And @Vixy

Agreed.. logic dictates this: If They have lied about the most important aspects of science-- eg Evolution trumps Creation---> we came from monkeys, etc.-- then it is not unreasonable to think They are probably lying about this too.

TokiEl

Superstar
@Etagloc And @Vixy

Agreed.. logic dictates this: If They have lied about the most important aspects of science-- eg Evolution trumps Creation---> we came from monkeys, etc.-- then it is not unreasonable to think They are probably lying about this too.
It's not unreasonable to think that they've lied about the shape of the earth as well... but there are some observable facts like for example the midnightsun.

How is that possible if the earth is flat ?

Why is the length of the day always about 12 hours in Manila while in Berlin it is 8 hours in the winter and 16 hours in the summer ? Why does it take 6 hours to fly from New York to London... but 8 hours to fly from London to New York ?

Last edited:
@Etagloc And @Vixy

It just goes to show you how easy it is for men to be deceived when the proof is (visually) there to see...even the creation itself that proves a creator (Romans 1:18-22). So it pleased God to save those by faith (in the knowledge of God, by God) instead of their own so called wisdom. (1 Cor. 1:21-25) Now you know how the enemies of Christ explain away the Rapture to the gullible. Just as the C of C explain away the indwelling of Holy Spirit, and how the LDS have written a book of fiction to take the place of the Bible. And lets not forget the Muslim's who explain away Christ deity...….Fools, all of them.