The earth is flat

phipps

Star
Why do people come to Christ when they believe in a DOME EARTH? Isn’t that going against the devil’s plan?
How can you say such a thing with a straight face? Sometimes I cannot believe what professed Christians think of when they believe none biblical doctrines. Like do you read the same Bible I do?

phipps

Star
Did Bible writers believe the Earth was flat?

No, this false idea is not taught in Scripture.

Some Bible critics have claimed that Revelation 7:1 assumes a flat Earth since the verse refers to angels standing at the “four corners” of the Earth. Actually, the reference is to the cardinal directions: north, south, east, and west. Similar terminology is often used today when we speak of the sun's rising and setting, even though the Earth, not the sun, is doing the moving. Bible writers used the “language of appearance,” just as people always have. Without it, the intended message would be awkward at best and probably not understood clearly.

In the Old Testament, Job 26:7 explains that the Earth is suspended in space, the obvious comparison being with the spherical sun and moon.

A literal translation of Job 26:10 is “He described a circle upon the face of the waters, until the day and night come to an end.” A spherical Earth is also described in Isaiah 40:21-22“the circle of the earth.”
Note, the Biblical Hebrew word for “circle” (חוג—chuwg) can also mean “round” or “sphere.”
“The Earth a Sphere—Certain astronomical relations were recognized very early. The stars appear as if attached to a globe rotating round the Earth once in 24 hours, and this appearance was clearly familiar to the author of the Book of Job, and indeed long before the time of Abraham, since the formation of the constellations could not have been effected without such recognition. But the spherical form of the heavens almost involves a similar form for the Earth, and their apparent diurnal rotation certainly means that they are not rigidly connected with the Earth, but surround it on all sides at some distance from it. The Earth therefore must be freely suspended in space, and so the Book of Job describes it: ‘He stretcheth out the north over empty space, and hangeth the Earth upon nothing’ (Job 26:7).” (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia)]​

Proverbs 8:27 also suggests a round Earth by use of the word circle (e.g., New King James Bible and New American Standard Bible). If you are overlooking the ocean, the horizon appears as a circle. This circle on the horizon is described in Job 26:10. The circle on the face of the waters is one of the proofs that the Greeks used for a spherical Earth. Yet here it is recorded in Job, ages before the Greeks discovered it. Job 26:10 indicates that where light terminates, darkness begins. This suggests day and night on a spherical globe.

The Hebrew record is the oldest, because Job is one of the oldest books in the Bible. Historians generally [wrongly] credit the Greeks with being the first to suggest a spherical Earth. In the sixth century B.C., Pythagoras suggested a spherical Earth.

Eratosthenes of Alexandria (circa 276 to 194 or 192 B.C.) calculated the circumference of the Earth “within 50 miles of the present estimate.” [Encyclopedia Brittanica]

The Greeks also drew meridians and parallels. They identified such areas as the poles, equator, and tropics. This spherical Earth concept did not prevail; the Romans drew the Earth as a flat disk with oceans around it.

The round shape of our planet was a conclusion easily drawn by watching ships disappear over the horizon and also by observing eclipse shadows, and we can assume that such information was well known to New Testament writers. Earth's spherical shape was, of course, also understood by Christopher Columbus.

The implication of a round Earth is seen in the book of Luke, where Jesus described his return, Luke 17:31. Jesus said, “In that day,” then in verse 34, “In that night.” This is an allusion to light on one side of the globe and darkness on the other simultaneously.

It is also interesting to note that there are 16 scriptures which refer to God stretching out the heavens. These are remarkable confirmations that the Bible is true, as we know today that the heavens are rapidly expanding.

“When the Bible touches on scientific subjects, it is entirely accurate.”

https://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c015.html

Last edited:
Flat Earth theory has created a literal shit-load of Atheists. The Earth isn't flat and if your religious delusion tells you it is then you are wrong, and any truth in your religion is obfuscated because you look like an ignorant hick.

Straight Talk from the Colonel

elsbet

Superstar
No, no where in the Bible is the earth flat even in flawed versions of the Bible.
FLAT... .. the term is something of a misnomer. From my previous post-- I said the picture below is probably closer to the truth.

Study resolves problems in the bible presented by the skeptics, the atheists and, of course... The (WILLFULLY) IGNORANT.

But the one part of the bible I could never reconcile has always been the clear description of an earth that is distinctly *not* a globe.

elsbet

Superstar
Flat Earth theory has created a literal shit-load of Atheists. The Earth isn't flat and if your religious delusion tells you it is then you are wrong, and any truth in your religion is obfuscated because you look like an ignorant hick.
Link?

And lol @the irony.

Link?

And lol @the irony.

"In this respect fundamentalism has demonic traits. It destroys the humble honesty of the search for truth, it splits the conscience of its thoughtful adherents, and it makes them fanatical because they are forced to suppress elements of truth of which they are dimly aware"

-Paul Tillich

You know this world is a Globe Elsbet, no matter what you think the Bible says.

elsbet

Superstar
"In this respect fundamentalism has demonic traits. It destroys the humble honesty of the search for truth, it splits the conscience of its thoughtful adherents, and it makes them fanatical because they are forced to suppress elements of truth of which they are dimly aware"

-Paul Tillich

You know this world is a Globe Elsbet, no matter what you think the Bible says
Soo... no link, no proof-- just the pompous meanderings of another person who doesn't have the decency to disbelieve in peace, but instead feels the need to make everyone else conform to his delusion. Nothing new to see here.

Soo... no link, no proof-- just the pompous meanderings of another person who doesn't have the decency to disbelieve in peace, but instead feels the need to make everyone else conform to his delusion. Nothing new to see here.

Objective reality is that the world is a sphere that revolves around the Sun. We have known this long before science proved it.

Wigi

Veteran
Why do people come to Christ when they believe in a DOME EARTH? Isn’t that going against the devil’s plan?
Because they have this feeling that God isn't too far away if the world is just a closed dome.

Yet this conception is arguably unbliblical because the Bible state that the hosts of this earth are like nothing and counted less than nothing compared to the height of heavens. (Isaiah 40:17)

I think Isaiah 40 verse 15 is interesting

"Behold, the nations are as a drop in a bucket, And are counted as the small dust on the scales; Look, He lifts up the isles as a very little thing."
Isaiah 40:15

We know that this earth hangs upon nothing (Job 26:7) and a little scientific experiment helps us to see that a drop of water suspended in the air has a round/spherical shape.
This earth don't need to be flat.

If people want to be near God without this flat earth thing, the rules are simple (not really simple):

Lord , who may abide in Your tabernacle? Who may dwell in Your holy hill? He who walks uprightly, And works righteousness, And speaks the truth in his heart; He who does not backbite with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor does he take up a reproach against his friend;
Psalms 15:1‭-‬3

I think it's a carnal way of thinking to believe God can't be near us if we're not in a closed dome.

Wigi

Veteran
FLAT... .. the term is something of a misnomer. From my previous post-- I said the picture below is probably closer to the truth.

Study resolves problems in the bible presented by the skeptics, the atheists and, of course... The (WILLFULLY) IGNORANT.

But the one part of the bible I could never reconcile has always been the clear description of an earth that is distinctly *not* a globe.
Hello,
I don't want to be rude but I think your picture is nowhere near the truth because Jesus said:

"For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places."
Matthew 24:7

I think it's not possible to have earthquakes and tsunamis in various places with your model.

Vytas

Star
Hello,
I don't want to be rude but I think your picture is nowhere near the truth because Jesus said:

"For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places."
Matthew 24:7

I think it's not possible to have earthquakes and tsunamis in various places with your model.
The actual correct translation would be in all places, meaning this refers to huge global calamity.

Wigi

Veteran
The actual correct translation would be in all places, meaning this refers to huge global calamity.
I checked again and the KJV says in divers places and we know that earthquakes happens in various places and in fact, earthquakes aren't the main issue for me. The main problem is Gravity.

Vytas

Star
Metaphors everywhere :rolleyes:

Job 37:18 Hast thou with him spread out the sky, which is strong, and as a molten looking glass?

Rev 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

Psa 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

Psa 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

Mat 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

Isa 24:1 Behold, the LORD maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof.

1Ch 16:30 Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.

Jos 10:13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
Gen 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

Vytas

Star
I checked again and the KJV says in divers places and we know that earthquakes happens in various places and in fact, earthquakes aren't the main issue for me. The main problem is Gravity.
Kjv is wrong in this case, happens, check hebrew bible instead. Correct translation is in every place.
And revelation confirms it.

every mountain and island was moved from its place.

Wigi

Veteran
Metaphors everywhere :rolleyes:

Job 37:18 Hast thou with him spread out the sky, which is strong, and as a molten looking glass?

Rev 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

Psa 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

Psa 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

Mat 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

Isa 24:1 Behold, the LORD maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof.

1Ch 16:30 Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.

Jos 10:13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
Gen 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
Not all these things are metaphorical but most of these things can be explained by Gravitational forces.

Like I said earlier, the earth is stable because it is fixed in its orbit.

Tell me why it's this important to believe the earth is flat.

Vytas

Star
Tell me why it's this important to believe the earth is flat.
Tell me why truth is important ...about anything ? In this case it kind shows ability to detach yourself from ages long mass indoctrination. It's a huge victory on personal level.

And what does gravity has to do with those quotes ? :mad: Read before replaying :mad: