The earth is flat

phipps

Star
Ummm..... no that is not in true.

https://www.history.com/news/christopher-columbus-never-set-out-to-prove-the-earth-was-round

Christopher Columbus Never Set Out to Prove the Earth was Round

Humans have known the earth is round for thousands of years.
I did not post Christopher Columbus set out to prove the earth was round. I posted that they thought the earth was flat.

People who read the Bible thousands of years ago knew the earth was round. So not everyone thought the earth was flat.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The very Catholic Douay-Rheims version uses the word "globe."

The Douay–Rheims Bible... is a translation of the Bible from the Latin Vulgate into English made by members of the English College, Douai, in the service of the Catholic Church.​
~
But the word used is

2329. chug​

chug: vault, horizon

Original Word: חוּג​

Part of Speech: Noun MasculineTransliteration: chug​

Phonetic Spelling: (khoog)​

Definition: vault, horizon

The HORIZON is ... well, its HORIZONTAL.

And Vault... I have vaulted ceilings-- I'm sure I'm not the only one.

:)
Globe means round and spherical.

I believe the flat earth doctrine is one of the devil's deceptions. Its sad that there are Christians who are buying into it.

Last edited:

Wigi

Veteran
This earth don't have to be flat, ancient Greeks believed the earth was flat until Eratosthene calculated the earth's circumference.
Even on the ground of scriptures the earth don't need to be 'flat' :

As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
Psalms 103:12

East is removed from the West by the same distance no matter where you are on a sphere.

Maybe I missed something but I'm only here for the truth so why people jump in this bandwagon so quickly?

Vytas

Star
I did not post Christopher Columbus set out to prove the earth was round. I posted that they thought the earth was flat.

People who read the Bible thousands of years ago knew the earth was round. So not evryone thought the earth was flat.
Bible clearly supports flat earth. Majority of FE community are christians for this reason.

Vytas

Star
Maybe I missed something but I'm only here for the truth so why people jump in this bandwagon so quickly?
Quickly? That is not the case i assure you, there is outrageous amount of information posted in this forum alone. Nobody ever watches reads it.

floss

Star
Isaiah 40:22: "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth." When this prophecy was written, most of the world did not know that the earth was round. They thought the world was flat. When Columbus sailed west from Spain many people even then, in 1492, were terrified because they thought the earth was flat and that Columbus and his men would sail right over the edge of it and drop off. Today most people know the earth is round, but hundreds of years before modern science found that out, the Bible stated it in unerring terms in Isaiah 40:22.
Quoting the WHOLE verse of Isaiah 40:22

What you should be looking for is in RED

Isaiah 40:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Now, imagine a TENT with people inside it. Does that in any way, shape or form look like a SPHERE to you? Or does it look like a DOME?

you said: I believe the flat earth doctrine is one of devil's deceptions. Its sad that there are Christians who are buying into it.
Tell me how FET (I prefer DOME EARTH THEORY) is a devil's deceptions if MANY folks are being led to CHRIST and have their life completely changed.

The House of GOD is in order and not everything randomly spinning in a frenzy infinitely.

1 Chronicles 16:30 King James Version (KJV)
30 Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.

I’d go even further and say DETer has the HIGHEST percentile of born again Christians.

Last edited:

Wigi

Veteran
Quickly? That is not the case i assure you, there is outrageous amount of information posted in this forum alone. Nobody ever watches reads it.
I've seen some videos here and there but when you put the different informations together, they don't add up.

I've never ever thought that the earth could be flat because the Bible clearly state that this earth hangs upon nothing. (Job 26:7)

For me, the earth is stable because it is fixed in its orbit.

Last edited:

22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Now, imagine a TENT with people inside it. Does that in any way, shape or form look like a SPHERE to you? Or does it look like a DOME?

Tell me how FET (I prefer DOME EARTH THEORY) is a devil's deceptions if MANY folks are being led to CHRIST and have their life completely changed. The House of GOD is in order and not everything randomly spinning in a frenzy infinitely.

30 Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.

I’d go even further and say DETer has the HIGHEST percentile of born again Christians.
In verse 22 it says as a tent. From our perspective, that is how the sky looks, when you look up at night.

This is how it looks to us, from a naked-eye perspective. In Isaiah's day, things like the telescope, etc. had not yet been invented.

God said in Hosea, that He has used similitudes:

Hosea 12:10 I have also spoken by the Prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the Prophets..

Todd

Star
Bible clearly supports flat earth. Majority of FE community are christians for this reason.
Yet the Majority of Christians and Biblical Scholars are not.

It's hilarious to me that a Christian can be this passionate about something that is not a central topic of the Bible and has little spiritual or eternal implications. They are willing to go against the grain of the Church, Science and basically all of society and risk looking like fools, about something that really is inconsequential to daily Christian living and or defending the character and nature of God.

On the other hand when it comes to the doctrine of Eternal Torment, they won't even consider that the Bible supports something different than what they have been indoctrinated in. Surely the issue of Eternal Torment is infinetely more important than whether the earth is flat or a sphere. The majority of Christians and the church can be dead wrong about flat earth, but not a chance in hell (pun intended) that the church could be wrong about Eternal Torment! Unbelievable!

phipps

Star

Tell me how FET (I prefer DOME EARTH THEORY) is a devil's deceptions if MANY folks are being led to CHRIST and have their life completely changed.

The House of GOD is in order and not everything randomly spinning in a frenzy infinitely.

I'm sorry I don't see how this proves the earth is flat. You're just looking for it to mean something that it doesn't. Scientifically the earth is round and spherical. Now while a lot of science is disagreeable with the word of God, a lot of it proves the word of God too especially when it has to do with the earth, the solar system, etc

If a person is lying to themselves, there’s no evidence that can make them change their mind. Only God can change our minds.

Vytas

Star
Yet the Majority of Christians and Biblical Scholars are not.

It's hilarious to me that a Christian can be this passionate about something that is not a central topic of the Bible and has little spiritual or eternal implications. They are willing to go against the grain of the Church, Science and basically all of society and risk looking like fools, about something that really is inconsequential to daily Christian living and or defending the character and nature of God.

On the other hand when it comes to the doctrine of Eternal Torment, they won't even consider that the Bible supports something different than what they have been indoctrinated in. Surely the issue of Eternal Torment is infinetely more important than whether the earth is flat or a sphere. The majority of Christians and the church can be dead wrong about flat earth, but not a chance in hell (pun intended) that the church could be wrong about Eternal Torment! Unbelievable!
Under flat earth there wouldn't be single atheist, so many souls saved, so importance is up for debate. You yourself have many questionable beliefs, (looking from majority pov ). You stand firm by things you believe and so do we. Do i look like fool ? I know i do for majority, but it's either that or become coward, afraid to speak his opinion.
Eternal punishment is really interesting topic...And im on the fence myself, i think we had thread about it somewhere, you can resurrect it...

phipps

Star
Under flat earth there wouldn't be single atheist, so many souls saved, so importance is up for debate. You yourself have many questionable beliefs, (looking from majority pov ). You stand firm by things you believe and so do we. Do i look like fool ? I know i do for majority, but it's either that or become coward, afraid to speak his opinion.
Eternal punishment is really interesting topic...And im on the fence myself, i think we had thread about it somewhere, you can resurrect it...
Stand firm on the word of God not things that the heathen believed/believe. And my beliefs are biblical its just many Christian religions don't preach some of the things I talk about here. For example I talked about the heavenly sanctuary that most Christians don't even know about even though its biblical. Most Christians I encounter here are zionists and believe there is going to be a new earthly temple built in Jerusalem. But if they read the Bible about the heavenly sanctuary and what Jesus does there as the High Priest they would never again believe an earthly temple on this earth would mean anything.

I think we should all speak out our opinions and beliefs and as Christians they should be based on the word of God. We can have wrong opinions and yours on the earth being flat is wrong.

Eternal punishment does not exist. Eternal death is what the Bible preaches and I have posted about on it here and not once.

Last edited:

Todd

Star
Why do you think under flat earth there wouldn't be a single atheist? Do you really believe that if flat earth were true and was disclosed by NASA or the media, that non-beleivers would look at the scriptures and take that as proof that the Bible is true? I highly doubt that. Therre have been many archeology finds that have confirmed the Bible throughout history, yet I don't recall there ever being mass conversions of people to Christianity because of any of them. I'm genuinely curious why you make the ascertion that Flat Earth disclosure would lead to many souls being saved.

Glad to hear you are on the fence and at least open to the idea that Eternal Punishment may not be Biblical. I would gladly re-start a civil discussion about it with anyone who is interested.

floss

Star
I'm sorry I don't see how this proves the earth is flat. You're just looking for it to mean something that it doesn't. Scientifically the earth is round and spherical. Now while a lot of science is disagreeable with the word of God, a lot of it proves the word of God too especially when it has to do with the earth, the solar system, etc

If a person is lying to themselves, there’s no evidence that can make them change their mind. Only God can change our minds.
Why do people come to Christ when they believe in a DOME EARTH? Isn’t that going against the devil’s plan?