The down side to losing your religion?

Lisa

Superstar
Interesting article on Market watch. They have decided that because charity donations are down that people in America have lost their religion...

Fewer Americans are giving money to charity, and their relationship with God may have something to do with it.

The share of U.S. adults who donated to charity dropped significantly between 2000 and 2016, according to an analysis released this month from the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy and Vanguard Charitable.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fewer-americans-are-giving-money-to-charity-and-it-could-be-because-theyre-spending-less-time-at-church-2019-10-28

Funny how this just shows that many people were only compelled to be charitable out of obedience to religion and not because of a sincere desire to help others. The need for some authority figure to tell us to be charitable is far more indicative of a tenuous commitment to charity rather than a strong one.

Lisa

Superstar
Funny how this just shows that many people were only compelled to be charitable out of obedience to religion and not because of a sincere desire to help others. The need for some authority figure to tell us to be charitable is far more indicative of a tenuous commitment to charity rather than a strong one.
I thought it was interesting that the financial guys saw the trend and figured it out, honestly.

Probably also has a lot to do with people only thinking of themselves anymore. At least with God you thought of others..now its just the me/me generation...lovers of self.