The Democratic Primaries

ohhi9876

Veteran
Deuteronomy 5:32 Ye shall observe to do therefore as the "I AM" your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.

Matthew 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

View attachment 32651

The Truth About Politics
also T's goal and fruit.... :/

justjess

Superstar
Federal pay is not, or at least should not be, tied to the overall economy.

I did not see that in the report I read. Throw me a link?

Typically civil service workers - state and federal - get an automatic 3% raise yearly to keep their salaries commensurate with inflation. Our inability, or refusal, to do so indicates the economy and the federal coffers aren’t doing as well as trump elsewhere trumpets.

Perhaps those tax cuts took a bigger chunk out of our countries economic stability then the administration would let on.

People doing well in the stock market is not a valid measure of the state of the economy either. Neither is unemployment. We need to be looking at this comprehensively instead of piece by piece. When you do you see a very clear picture of an economy that is working great for some, horribly for others.

justjess

Superstar
I work in retail grocery and have not heard that to be the case in my area. Another "whole type" store that is doing well in my area is cutting hours though, indicating the company, as a whole, is struggling.
Whole Foods is not struggling. They are owned by amazon.

Many companies are in fact cutting hours while simultaneously offering higher wages... to avoid having to pay benefits. Not because the higher wages are bankrupting them. Higher wages in these cases pretty much coincided with the requirement that large companies provide full time workers with health insurance.

Lurker

Star
Whole Foods is not struggling. They are owned by amazon.

Many companies are in fact cutting hours while simultaneously offering higher wages... to avoid having to pay benefits. Not because the higher wages are bankrupting them. Higher wages in these cases pretty much coincided with the requirement that large companies provide full time workers with health insurance.
IDK, I've never worked at a company, large or small, that didn't offer benefits to FT.

Lurker

Star
IDK, I've never worked at a company, large or small, that didn't offer benefits to FT.
As for the health benefit, I'd like to go back to pre W (c. 1996). I had great coverage then. 90% of reasonable and customary with low deductible.

justjess

Superstar
That's where my problem lies. Any government COLA should not exceed that of SS.
It shouldn’t. COLA for SS should be the same. Unfortunately disabled people don’t have much of a voice. Not sure why AARP can’t get that done for the elderly. It’s disgraceful.

justjess

Superstar
I’ve worked at tons. Loophole in the law for non profits. Go figure. I haven’t had health insurance in ten years.. kinda inconvenient when you have MS

But that was my point. Obamacare made companies offer health insurance to full time. They also made stricter conditions upon the quality of that coverage and limited what portion employees had to pay for it. Companies didn’t like it. My sister worked HR and a lot of companies started hiring tons of part time and cutting back full time hours when this went into effect

justjess

Superstar
No, the government does not operate in the free market.
It does not but in order to recruit quality workers it does need to offer comparable salaries and benefits. They don’t do so generally but many people trade off the higher salary for the security and benefits (including a yearly cola) that the public sector offers. Coming from a former state (and then county) employee.

Lurker

Star
I’ve worked at tons. Loophole in the law for non profits. Go figure. I haven’t had health insurance in ten years.. kinda inconvenient when you have MS

But that was my point. Obamacare made companies offer health insurance to full time. They also made stricter conditions upon the quality of that coverage and limited what portion employees had to pay for it. Companies didn’t like it. My sister worked HR and a lot of companies started hiring tons of part time and cutting back full time hours when this went into effect
Yeah, I was PT during that "transition" period. I don't think it matters much when the quality of health care has gone to shit. Look into orthopedic surgery and ketamine.

Lurker

Star
It does not but in order to recruit quality workers it does need to offer comparable salaries and benefits. They don’t do so generally but many people trade off the higher salary for the security and benefits (including a yearly cola) that the public sector offers. Coming from a former state (and then county) employee.
They are not struggling to find good help. I would jump at the chance for a state Ag. job. Nearly the same pay and better benefits.

justjess

Superstar
They are not struggling to find good help. I would jump at the chance for a state Ag. job. Nearly the same pay and better benefits.
Federal government salaries are lower than private sector salaries for the same positions, primarily when you get to more advanced positions.

I loved my state job but post 2008 even those jobs took massive hits.. health care costs went way up, benefits got cut or put on hold, cola’s were suspended etc. They are still attractive because the benefits are still better then what is being offered and they tend to be way more stable but I’m not looking at them with rose colored glasses anymore

Ketamine and orthopedic surgery?

Lurker

Star
Federal government salaries are lower than private sector salaries for the same positions, primarily when you get to more advanced positions.

I loved my state job but post 2008 even those jobs took massive hits.. health care costs went way up, benefits got cut or put on hold, cola’s were suspended etc. They are still attractive because the benefits are still better then what is being offered and they tend to be way more stable but I’m not looking at them with rose colored glasses anymore
I guess the lower education level paid off for me. No student debt and I'm qualified for the state Ag job, just no positions in my area.