The Day Fidel Castro Declared Cuba Free of Illiteracy

Etagloc

Superstar
Cuba undergoes a religious revival

As Cuban totalitarianism and the memory of enforced atheism both fade, Christian denominations old and new are making inroads

Raúl Castro was a Jesuit schoolboy before turning to communism, and after a lengthy meeting with Pope Francis last month, he told Vatican reporters he was so impressed he was considering a return to the church. They laughed. “I’m serious,” said Castro, 84. If so, he would not be the first Cuban in recent years to find his way back to Jesus.

The island has experienced a religious revival of sorts in the past 25 years, as the demise of Soviet totalitarianism has made room for a tropical Marxism that is less than total but still highly controlling. Cuba was never a deeply pious country in the cloth of some other Latin American nations. But the Catholic church and other denominations have come a long way from the 1960s and 70s, when Fidel Castro’s revolution sent religious believers to labour camps and enshrined atheism in the constitution.

Today, Christmas and Good Friday are national holidays once more. Churchgoers no longer face official discrimination. For the first time in five decades, the government has given the church permission to build a cathedral. And Catholic authorities face increasing competition from fast-growing evangelical denominations, many with close ties to US churches. “There is freedom of worship now, yes,” said the Rev Roberto Betancourt, the priest at Our Lady of Regla, one of Cuba’s landmark churches. “But that’s not the same as freedom of religion.”

Indeed, no other country in the Americas is so restrictive. The Cuban government doesn’t allow the church to run its own schools, or broadcast on television or the radio. Public acts of worship or proselytising are proscribed. These limits may explain why Cuba continues to draw so much attention from the Vatican, despite a reputation for thinly attended Sunday masses. About 27% of Cubans identified as Catholic in a poll of 1,200 adults commissioned by the Univision network earlier this year. Forty-four per cent of respondents said they were “not religious”.

Still, the poll found that 70% of surveyed Cubans have a favourable opinion of the Roman Catholic church, and 80% rated Pope Francis positively, as both are viewed as powerful advocates for political and economic change. When Francis arrives here in September before his trip to the United States, it will be the third papal visit since 1998, when Pope John Paul II called on Cuba to “open to the world, and for the world to open to Cuba”. Pope Benedict XVI travelled to the island in 2012.

Francis, an Argentinian and the first pope from Latin America, has appeared even more eager to take up John Paul II’s mantle. He played a central role in the secret negotiations between US and Cuban officials that are leading to the restoration of diplomatic relations. At one point, the Vatican hosted meetings for US and Cuban negotiators, and the pope’s blessing has provided President Barack Obama with political cover as he faces opposition to the rapprochement with Castro from Cuban-American lawmakers.

By visiting Cuba and the United States, Francis will make the countries’ incipient reconciliation a central theme of his trip. “In places where there is conflict in the world, the pope makes himself present,” Betancourt said.

Francis’s schedule shows that he will spend four days on the island, celebrating masses in Havana and the large cities of Santiago and Holguin. Raúl Castro said he plans to attend all three.

Whether Francis will openly criticise Cuba’s one-party system and urge Castro to do more to open to the world – and democratic governance – remains a key question. Opponents of the communist government here and abroad would be deeply disappointed if the pope does not use his platform to push for change. He may be more likely to nudge. Francis, like Obama, is essentially following a course charted by John Paul II that seeks to gradually change Cuba by engaging the Castro government, rather than confronting it, as the church attempted to do in the 1960s and 70s.

The benefits of the engagement approach are evident today in the rehabilitation of the Catholic church as the island’s only significant independent institution. Cardinal Jaime Ortega, Cuba’s highest-ranking prelate, has negotiated directly with the government for the release of political prisoners. The church publishes magazines, hosts lecture forums open to Cuban dissidents and has organised MBA courses for aspiring entrepreneurs. Such privileges are somewhat resented among other Christian denominations on the island, which cannot match the Catholic church’s institutional profile.

Evangelical Christianity has made inroads among migrants who arrive in Havana and find community through the church

Religious leaders and communist officials seem to share a sense of alarm over what both groups perceive as a “crisis of values” among Cuban youth, even if they differ on the root causes. Ideological differences notwithstanding, both see a generation of Cuban young people eager to obtain material goods, with loose sexual mores and even looser commitments to the social objectives of Fidel Castro’s revolution.

But while Catholic leaders are trying to win them back with an institutional resurgence, evangelical Christians are going into the streets to do it. “We are living in a society that has lost its values,” said Yoel Guevara, a 32-year-old evangelical pastor. “Christ gives them back.”

Cuban authorities and the Catholic church both look warily on the rapid spread of evangelical denominations across the island, as hundreds if not thousands of tiny churches have popped up in Cubans’ living rooms. There is often no hierarchical structure for the Cuban government to relate to, and many smaller Christian groups have resisted the government’s attempt to organise them. (The island also has small Jewish and Muslim communities.)

Guevara’s group is affiliated with Victory Outreach International, a Pentecostal order founded on the streets of Los Angeles that is known for evangelising among addicts, inmates and the homeless. In Cuba, the group has no church, but Cuban authorities allow them to congregate Sunday mornings for worship along Havana’s Malecón seawall. They bring their own generator to power the microphone and the speakers, attracting hundreds.

“The presence of Christ is strong where sin is abundant,” said Daniel Delis, wearing long dreadlocks, after a small church weeknight service in a fellow member’s home. He said his faith helped him overcome an addiction to marijuana.

Like Catholic leaders, Cuba’s evangelicals oppose abortion, which is legal in Cuba, as well as the highly publicised efforts of Mariela Castro, Raúl Castro’s daughter, to win same-sex marriage rights and other protections for gay Cubans. The Pentecostal group says it goes out on weekend nights to walk among the revellers along Havana’s seawall, attempting to convert gays and occasionally facing police harassment.

The issue is a reminder that while the Cuban government holds the reins, its social policies are sometimes calibrated to balance among different groups.

Evangelical Christianity has made inroads especially in poorer eastern Cuba, and among migrants from rural Cuba who arrive in Havana and find community through the church’s open doors and animated style of worship.

The Rev Ricardo Pereira, the bishop at the Methodist church of Marianao in Havana, said his church has gone from fewer than 400 members in the late 1990s to more than 3,200 today. There are three worship services on Sundays to accommodate them. His services draw everyone from dissidents to military officials and the families of US diplomats. Like other “charismatic” forms of worship, Pereira’s sermons are rollicking, hallelujah affairs, featuring electric guitars and drumming. “The great majority of Cubans have African blood,” he said. “We show our devotion with drums and a lot of shouting.”

FacebookTwitterPinterest
The Methodist church of Marianao in Havana had fewer than 400 members in the late 1990s, but has more than 3,200 today. Photograph: Sarah L Voisin/Washington Post/AP
In some ways, he and others have won followers by making Christian devotion more like Santería, a form of spirit worship that blends African deities with Catholic saints. It is perhaps more pervasive in Cuba than ever, and even as Christian leaders of nearly every denomination label it “idolatry”, they have incorporated more music and dance into their services.

“Other denominations want Cubans to stop being Cuban when they enter the church, and sit there like Europeans or Americans,” Pereira said. “We want to dance and be Cuban.”

This article appeared in Guardian Weekly, which incorporates material from the Washington Post

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/12/cuba-religious-revival-christian-denominations

if that stuff is true then what you say about religion in Cuba is inaccurate

Etagloc

Superstar
I don't believe Cubans in Cuba support the regimen. Today the system has been in place for 59 years, they are used to it and have found ways to overcome most difficult situations but still they don't really suport the Castros or Che. They can't really express their opinion out of fear to be incarcerated, a very real fear. If you discuss with the goverment you go to jail. Most living Cubans today have been born into the system and have had grind in their minds that what they have is a thousand ways better that what we have here in the States, most believe it, many don't.

When you go to the hospital and have to take your own higyne suplies, bed sheets, towels becasue there is none provided. When you are pregnant with the posibility that your child will have a disability and you are forced to have an abortion, when you have to find your food in the black market because supplies are short and the beans are rice allocated to you are gone before the next time you are allowed your next provision. When it's easiest to be a jinetera than to have a job because the job won't pay you enough and there are a huge supply of tourist that will gladly pay for Cuban flesh. When God means nothing more that a myth that westerns have and you can't gather together with the people that holds the same religious believes as you, its very hard to believe that Cuba's system is better.

I'm not only related to them by marriage, my husband was born in Cuba and brought to the States when he was 10 y/o because the government took a spceial interest on his dad who was physically disable and attended patients at his house instead of going to the hospital, that was seen as he having his own business and was complitely forbidden. My sister in law and her daughter came about 7 years ago, my oldest brother in law has never been able to come and visit his mother and his younger brother died without them being able to spend some time togeter. I visited Cuba almost 20 years ago, and while it's facinating, their people is super nice and warm, it's very sad that I could go to wonderful hotels and restaurants while the locals couldn't. They know they got the short stick, and have learn to survive with it. I prefer the corrupt government that allows me certain freedoms to a goverment that took all of them away.

Che ahd Raul were murderous criminals, they killed without discrimination, with a cold blooded hand, they both were the armed hand of Fidel and at the end Fidel had Che killed out of fear of what he had done will come to haunt him. Raul was his brother and was forgiven. What Che preached on one side he destroyed on the other.

Have you met the cubans that are arriving in the last several years? Have you noticed their lack of morals? Really, you should go and live there for a while.
You say Cubans lack morals? And the US people? Los estadounidenses.... you don't think they're a little off morally? Donald Trump.. he doesn't strike you as being immoral?

I would like to make three points.

1- You say you are from Latin America. Eh..... I don't believe you.

I was born and raised in a Latin American country that has been at war since the Spaniards came to "conquer" us. I understand the larger scheme of Latin American history pretty well.
I do not believe you. A Latin American country that has been at war since the days of Spanish colonialism? So continously at war for 500 years since the days of Spanish colonialism? o_O Firstly, Spanish colonialism is a thing of the past. If you really understood Latin American history, then you would understand that history of Latin America has been a struggle against US imperialism since the Monroe Doctrine. I understand the colonialists here can simply ignore the past 200 years of Latin American history and not care. I don't have that trait. I am not simply going to forget the past 200 years of history.

But... to bring this point to conclusion.... there is no Latin American country which fits the description that you have given. To me it just sounds like a very simplified image in someone's head. There is no Latin American country that has been at war continously for the past 500 years. That just sounds like a Fox News image. If you understand the larger picture of Latin American history, you should show it. Enlighten me. Anyone can claim they understand the history. If you really understand it then show it.

2- I don't believe you about the forced abortions/eugenics thing. I simply don't believe that. I think you are just regurgitating stuff from right-wing anti-Castro Cubans. I looked into the forced abortion thing..... there doesn't really seem to be any evidence. I mean that is pretty huge. I imagine that would be a pretty big story if that was actually going on. From the sound of it, there does seem to be a lot of abortion in Cuba. There's a lot of abortion in the US as well.

3- Fidel killed Che? That is a thing with the right-wing Cubans.... people are entitled to their beliefs or whatever.... but I do not believe that at all.

Anyone can make these unsupported assertions. For all anyone knows, I could be a person in Taiwan who has never been outside Taiwan.... for all I know you could be anybody. In any case, it's not about unsupported assertions- where is the evidence?

If there is this horrible religious persecution going on in Cuba, please show evidence. Please show the facts.

Fidel had Che murdered? Please show some sort of evidence. Please show facts.

Furthermore..... you make Che out to be a monster....... Che was a hero who gave his life for what he believed in. You might not be such a fan but he is loved not only in Cuba and not only across Latin America but across the entire world.

Etagloc

Superstar
Who Are Those 'Gusanos' Who Celebrated Fidel's Death?

While millions mourned the death of Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro, Cubans in Miami who abandoned the island decades before, celebrated.
In a grotesque display of insensitivity, some Cubans in Miami celebrated the death of revolutionary leader Fidel Castro, carrying "Trump / Pence" signs, hoping to “Make Cuba Great Again” by destroying the Cuban Revolution and bringing back the racism, neocolonialism and fascism of the Batista dictatorship.

OPINION:
40 Years After CIA Terrorist Bombs Cuba Plane, Still No Justice

"Gusanos," or worms is the term Fidel used to describe the first 1960’s waves of wealthy white former landowners who fled Cuba to the United States after the overthrow of U.S.-backed Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista.

These Cubans were welcomed, nurtured and harbored by successive U.S.administrations, establishing themselves as the most vocal force against the Cuban Revolution, taking part in military operations and terror campaigns against Cuba and of course backing the U.S. blockade against the Cuban people.

The gusanos were behind the 1961 U.S.-backed Bay of Pigs invasion, which Havana was able to defeat in 72 hours, capturing hundreds of mercenaries, many of whom Cuba identified as plantation owners, Batista's ex-military men, factory owners and businessmen.

In 2011, declassified CIA documents showed that one of the key figures in the 1976 terrorist bombing of Cubana Flight 455 was Luis Posada Carriles, a right-wing Cuban who had fled the island after the revolution.

Posada Carriles, now 88, was also part of the failed Bay of Pigs assault and was an informant for the CIA. Orlando Bosch was another CIA agent who helped mastermind the attack on the civilian plane.

The documents also show that Bosch received a phone call from the bombers saying "a bus with 73 dogs went off a cliff and all got killed." He is also connected to terror attacks on Cuban hotels in 1997.

Bosch is well connected to the Bush family, having been personally championed by Jeb Bush, when he was the governor of Florida, and released from U.S. custody by former President George H. W. Bush.

Another leader of the gusanos is Felix Rodriguez, who is an ex-CIA agent known for having participated in the Bay of Pigs invasion. He was sent by the CIA to Bolivia to kill revolutionary leader Che Guevara in 1967.

He ordered that Guevara be “shot below the neck” so that it would look as though he had been “killed in combat.”

These Cuban terrorists are seen as heroes by the counter-revolutionary Cuban community in the U.S., whose ties to the murder of innocent Cubans has no bearing on their conscience.

RELATED:
Fidel Castro: A Latin American Legend

These gusanos are also among some of the most right-wing politicians and celebrities in the U.S. and the state of Florida. Rafael Diaz-Balart, who served as a deputy interior minister in the Batista's regime is the father of U.S. Congressman Lincoln Diaz-Balart and Mario Diaz-Balart, both Republicans.

Another infamous member of the right-wing Cuban community is Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a Republican U.S. Congresswoman who in 2014 proposed a bill calling for sanctions on Venezuela. Meanwhile, former Florida Supreme Court Justice Raoul Cantero III is the very grandson of Batista.

Also of note is the Estefan family in Florida. Pop singer Gloria Estefan's father was Batista’s bodyguard and participated in the Bay of Pigs failed invasion.

But Fidel’s Cuba could not stand by and allow the U.S.-backed gusanos to meddle with its internal affairs and terrorize the Cuban people.

Five Cubans were sent by the government to the U.S. to monitor Miami-based terrorist groups plotting to attack Cuba to avoid a further loss of lives.

The Cuban 5, as they came to be known worldwide, were imprisoned in the United States in 1998 and sentenced in 2001 on espionage charges.

After years of an international campaign calling for their release, the last of the five was released in December 2014, coinciding with announcements from Cuban President Raul Castro and his U.S. counterpart Barack Obama that the two countries would begin to re-establish ties.

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Who-Are-Those-Gusanos-Who-Celebrated-Fidels-Death-20161206-0019.html

Venus

Rookie
You say Cubans lack morals? And the US people? Los estadounidenses.... you don't think they're a little off morally? Donald Trump.. he doesn't strike you as being immoral?
When insurance rates in a State go sky high for the fraud claims coming in from Cubans, and when cuban women use abortion as a birth control method, just as an example of what they do, yes, I say they lack morals. And that assurance doesn't have anything to do with the lack of morals here in the States, or the lack of morals of our clown of a President. One thing doesn't diminish the other.

I would like to make three points.

I do not believe you. A Latin American country that has been at war since the days of Spanish colonialism? So continously at war for 500 years since the days of Spanish colonialism? o_O Firstly, Spanish colonialism is a thing of the past. If you really understood Latin American history, then you would understand that history of Latin America has been a struggle against US imperialism since the Monroe Doctrine. I understand the colonialists here can simply ignore the past 200 years of Latin American history and not care. I don't have that trait. I am not simply going to forget the past 200 years of history.

But... to bring this point to conclusion.... there is no Latin American country which fits the description that you have given. To me it just sounds like a very simplified image in someone's head. There is no Latin American country that has been at war continously for the past 500 years. That just sounds like a Fox News image. If you understand the larger picture of Latin American history, you should show it. Enlighten me. Anyone can claim they understand the history. If you really understand it then show it.
I don't need you to believe me, I was born and raised in the northern western corner of Southamerica, and yes, we have been at war since the colonial times. You have to have lived here to know it and suffere it. The last conflict was created with the help of Fidel and Che.

I don't believe you about the forced abortions/eugenics thing. I simply don't believe that. I think you are just regurgitating stuff from right-wing anti-Castro Cubans. I looked into the forced abortion thing..... there doesn't really seem to be any evidence. I mean that is pretty huge. I imagine that would be a pretty big story if that was actually going on. From the sound of it, there does seem to be a lot of abortion in Cuba. There's a lot of abortion in the US as well.
Tell that to my husband's niece, or to one of my sisters in law. Do you think you are going to fined real data here in the States? That data is not even collected in Cuba. How do you think they have achieved that low infant mortality rate?

3- Fidel killed Che? That is a thing with the right-wing Cubans.... people are entitled to their beliefs or whatever.... but I do not believe that at all.

Anyone can make these unsupported assertions. For all anyone knows, I could be a person in Taiwan who has never been outside Taiwan.... for all I know you could be anybody. In any case, it's not about unsupported assertions- where is the evidence?

If there is this horrible religious persecution going on in Cuba, please show evidence. Please show the facts.

Fidel had Che murdered? Please show some sort of evidence. Please show facts.

Furthermore..... you make Che out to be a monster....... Che was a hero who gave his life for what he believed in. You might not be such a fan but he is loved not only in Cuba and not only across Latin America but across the entire world.
He was a monster, you can start by watching "The True Story of Che Guevara"

I don't want to burst your bubble, and you don't need ot believe me. You seem young and naive which is great. The young and naive are the ones who can change the world, you just need to approach other opinions with an open mind.

The system in Cuba is a failure, it has only lasted this long becuse it's citizens were terrorized in to believing Fidel was somehow a god; and to his benefit, his revolution really brought Cuba to the Cubans; and the USA blockade which made the US a monster to them.

High literacy rates, low infant mortality, free health doesn't matter wihtn you don't have freedom, that only makes you an more of a animal than a human.

All this doesn't equate to the States been a paradise, or been a much superior system, it is not. But here yuou have the opportunity to succeed if you apply yourself to it. Here I can drive at all hours and to all places without the fear of been kidnaped or killed like in my home country. Living here I can visit almost any country in the world, unlike my inlaws that still live in Cuba.

Etagloc

Superstar
The fact is people can demonize Cuba and demonize Fidel and give a million reasons why it should go back to being a US colony so it can end up like Mexico..... but the fact is...... Che and Fidel are going to go down in the long line of Latin American heroes.... this is just a fact. They are already heroes to millions. Nothing the anti-Castro people can do.... is going to change the fact that they will go down alongside Simon Bolívar.... alongside Hidalgo.... alongside Morelos..... alongside José Martí..... alongside Pancho Villa.... alongside Emiliano Zapata.... alongside Sandino.... alongside Hugo Chávez......

there is nothing the anti-Castro crowd can do to stop this.....

birds of a feather flock together..... my grandpa said you can tell a lot about who is a person is by who they hang around

"the Cuban Revolution- that's a revolution!" -Malcolm X...... anyone can look up his Message to the Grassroots speech on YouTube and hear Malcolm praise the Cuban Revolution for themselves

and yeah Castro supported anti-colonial revolutions throughout Latin America.... just as he supported South Africa's fight against apartheid

they didn't send 30,000 petition signatures! not 30,000 Facebook likes. They sent 30,000 soldiers!

I can understand why the colonialists hate him.....

I wish I could post English-subtitled videos of his speeches advocating for Palestine.....

he supported the FMLN in El Salvador..... I know some Salvadoreños who hang the FMLN banner proudly...

I actually was invited to an event honoring him for his birthday.....

I seriously regret not attending.

Che gave his life for what he believed. He not only fought for the independence of Latin America... he fought alongside revolutionaries in Africa and was willing to die for Africa just as he was willing to die for Latin America.... Che and Fidel are loved by millions of people..... look you can keep emphasizing Cubans you know who oppose them.... when Fidel died..... I remember the fierce look in this Cuban man's eyes as he told me that Fidel was a "genius".... the proud look of a man who refused to betray the revolution..... 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 years from now Latin American children will be learning about him next to Simon Bolívar..... just a fact.

So.... you have your opinion and I have mine. I'm not trying to force my opinion on you. I'm just explaining my thoughts.

You hate Raúl..... I wish his speech had English subtitles so the people could understand his speech commemorating Fidel. People can insult me but there are millions of people who think just like me.

And if the Cuban Revolution did not have the support of the people..... it would not still be in power. It would not have lasted so long. Especially considering what it's been up against.

I seriously think the defeat of the CIA mercenaries in Playa Girón should be a movie. Now that would be a movie.

Anyways.... Latin American history is fun to talk about. Different people are always going to have different interpretations. It should be nothing personal. I am not trying to insult you or try to say you must think like me. There are Cubans on both sides of the debate and so we can both point to Cubans on either side. I would love to visit Cuba. My whole family wants to see it. Is there poverty... I'm sure. But at least I won't have to worry about being kidnapped like in México where our relatives have told us they can't ensure our safety if we come visit them.

Anyways, I am entitled to my thoughts just as you are entitled to yours. You can express your thoughts all you want.

If Fidel was such a terrible guy.... I mean he must really have needed to reread the evil dictator handbook. I'm pretty sure the evil dictator handbook would advised him to keep the people illiterate and uneducated.... not make his country the first country in Latin America to be free of illiteracy... if fighting wars against apartheid and illiteracy are what being a dictator is about.... we must really need more dictators

Etagloc

Superstar
And I forgot to mention.

Mexico is having its elections this year. Lopez Obrador, the Mexican Chávez, is going to win. Let's see if I really have my finger on the pulse of Latin American history.

We will know by whether my prediction is correct or not.

And when he wins..... this is not going to be a Cuba or a Venezuela or a Nicaragua moving towards this direction..... this is México- one of the most influential countries in all of Latin America...... when México.... Venezuela..... Nicaragua, Bolivia, Ecuador, etc....... when all these countries are aligned...... this is going to be something major. The Latin American revolution isn't going anywhere. And the Muslims are going to rise up as well I hope and I hope that Africa will rise up as well....... I think that is where things are headed but I am not as certain with those two regions..... I certainly am hopeful for them.

I am horrified for the US. I want nothing but good things for the US. I love the US. I don't love its wars and its invasions and its overthrows of other governments..... I wish the US would simply decide to be a good neighbor to the world.... I wish the US would do something about the homeless people who sleep in front of my house instead of bombing people on the the other side of the world..... I wish that would happen. I hate the imperialism, sure. But that's not hating the US.... that's hating injustice. I am seriously worried for the US. We seem to be headed very quickly downhill at an accelerating pace.... wherever it is leading.... I am not sure. But I don't think it will be anywhere. And I don't say that with a single drop of hate or even anger in my heart. Just sadness. Sadness and a sense of grief and disappointment.

I think this machine that the US has built up..... it is going to turn against its own people.... I seriously am horrified for the US. But that is not in my hands. All I can do is watch. I am no one all that important.

And so it is more important.... perhaps more important than ever.... that the people of other regions.... the people of the Muslim world.... the people of Africa..... Asia.... Europe.... Latin America..... it is so important that these people fight for and protect their indpendence.... that they safeguard their own control over their destinies.... because those places.... those will be the places to go to if the US heads into fascism. I seriously hope that does not happen. But wherever the US is heading..... it doesn't seem to be in a good direction and I am worried for the people. Maybe not so much for the elites. I'm not such a fan of the elites lol. But I love the people. I've had the opportunity to travel across the US and experience its various regions and see some interesting things...... I seriously worry for the people. I seriously am not feeling good about wherever it is we're headed.

Venus

Rookie
They went after counter-revolutionaries to ensure the victory of their revolution?
They did a little more than that, they killed or disappear everyone that had the balls to go against them. And after 20 years of the end of the revolution, they sent here everyone that was still against them during the Mariel.

You know some Cuban immigrants? So do I.
More than that, I married into them. The good, the bad and the ugly; from family that came pre-revolution to the ones that came 5 years ago.

And look..... they can go against the revolution and wish for Cuba to be a US colony and support Trump all that all they want....... that's their business. If you want to side with them, that's your business. But I'm entitled to my own perspective just like you are.
Actually, most of them don't support Trump, wonder why... besides the fact that the guy has a really bad case of narcissism. You can be anti Trump and anti Castro, you can dislike the system in Cuba and not want it to become a USA colony, as you said. I don't believe any Anti Castro Cuban or gusano want to see Cuba under a USA regimen! Certainly I don't, and neither does my husband or his family. Trump is as bad an option as any of the Castros or Che.

And yeah Cuba might not be heaven..... and yeah revolution is revolution. But even one of those anti-Castro Cubans told me.... you are safer walking around the streets in Cuba than in California.

Meanwhile Mexicans are being slaughtered in Mexico. Decapitated heads showing up...... torture, mutiliations..... real life scenes from nightmares..... so yeah Cuba might be for real about safeguarding its revolution..... it is a paradise compared to the hell my family members are experiencing in Mexico!
Cuba is not heaven, and is not hell either, for most Cubans now days, that system is all they know and many still want to leave, I wonder why. When your liberty is so restricted that you can't even leave your country without a lot of government scrutiny, and you have to look for food in the black market because you are not allowed to buy more than what is allocated to you, that heaven gets old pretty quicky.

My oldest brother in law was a police officer of the system, truly belived in it and dedicated his young days to it's support. He even stop talking to his family when they left, until several years later when some family was visiting and he wasn't allowed inside a restaurant. That crushed him, why in the world, he, who stayed to support the system, dedicated his life to it couldn't go to the nice places tourist were allowed. That has changed, but for many years, Cubans weren't allowed to the same resaurants, hotels, resorts as the tourist. How is that for a heaven?

And to finish, Mexico is in a big mess right now, same as most Latin American countries, and socialism is a very attractive option, specially for your people, unfortunately, it doesn't work. You want to change the world? Practice and teach social responsibility, and spread love. Let others be so they will let you be.

mecca

Superstar
unfortunately, it doesn't work
What makes you say that? The existence of a state is what is detrimental, not the actual idea of socialism (which requires the dismantlement of the state).

Venus

Rookie
What makes you say that? The existence of a state is what is detrimental, not the actual idea of socialism (which requires the dismantlement of the state).
What is state for you?

Socialism implies that all benefit from the work of all, profit is distributed between the participants. That sounds interesting but life does not work like that. To give you an example, when your teacher tells you that test results are going to be equally distributed between all students so no student fail or is better that the other, the most disciplined students will see their results lower to the median while the most lazy will see them raised invalidating the effort to study. Why will I apply myself to learn a subject if being mediocre is all it’s needed to pass and move on?

Socialism is a system that lowers the standard for everyone because eliminates the will to excel.

Add that to been the government who does the distribution and makes the decision of who gets what and how much. I do not want the government involved in my health car or the education of my children, I want affordable health care and education for all, but I want to keep my options open, even my options to fail.

What we need is social responsibility, were we all take responsibility for our own actions and pay forward for what we have received. The government takes that responsibility away.

Mr.Grieves

Veteran
Cuba's a pretty gorgeous country, and indeed they have an extreme education surplus. With all the educational institutions being free, anyone can attend college or university for whichever course they choose/qualify for at no cost, resulting in an island brimming with experts in most all fields of study... and who have next to no chance of finding employment in their field. Being Canadian I've vacationed there a few times in my life, and can say with relative confidence that it's a nation of good-hearted, highly educated people living in general poverty and filth. Keep in mind this is tropical poverty and filth, and the tropics are far more friendly to conditions like unemployment and homelessness, and as a socialist country even the desperately poor are entitled to some financial support from the government, but it's definitely a major struggle there to achieve anything close to a middle-class lifestyle. If you visit, expect bioengineers and heart-surgeons to offer you rides around town, to open their homes and their dinner tables to you and spend full days as your tour-guides all for a pittance.

mecca

Superstar
What is state for you?
The government... what we have now. One group controlling everyone else.

Since socialism/communism is decentralized, it puts the control into the hands of the people and that is far more beneficial and freeing compared to a centralized and oppressive state. This whole website is about how bad governments are to people. People are capable of governing themselves and I think we should.
Why will I apply myself to learn a subject if being mediocre is all it’s needed to pass and move on?
This test comparison doesn't make sense... test scores are a judge of personal knowledge and achievement, they would not be equally distributed. It makes absolutely no sense to "equally distribute" a test score because it invalidates the entire reason for taking a test... however, it does make sense to equally distribute food and housing according to need because these things are basic necessities which every human requires to simply remain alive. In a society where people help each other and everyone contributes to the community... all people should have access to basic necessities at least.

People want to study subjects because they think they are interesting and they want to learn more, the score doesn't even matter in that case. In socialism, the means of production would be owned and controlled by the community as a whole... therefore everyone shares what's produced. If everyone contributes in one way or another according to their ability, then they can receive what they need. Everyone in the community works together to support each other. What does that have to do with mediocrity?
Socialism is a system that lowers the standard for everyone because eliminates the will to excel.
Why would people want to stop excelling? Money is not the only incentive to work or succeed. The removal of money would not limit people's desire to achieve great things. Inventions are invented because someone wanted to find a solution to a problem... not because of money.
Add that to been the government who does the distribution and makes the decision of who gets what and how much. I do not want the government involved in my health car or the education of my children, I want affordable health care and education for all, but I want to keep my options open, even my options to fail.
I don't really understand what you're saying here... but socialism removes the need for a centralized sate government. The communities make those decisions together. There is no "government" in the sense of a state... the rules are put in place democratically by the people themselves. It's a self government through direct democracy.

Last edited: