The Dark Crystal (1982)

A.J.

Star
This movie gave me real strange vibes as a kid. Something about it really didn’t sit well with me as I saw it in the movie theater. Anyone else see it.... ? looking at it again I realize my young instincts were dead on.

“Jen and Kira discover a ruined Gelfling city with ancient writing describing a prophecy: "When single shines the triple sun, what was sundered and undone shall be whole, the two made one by Gelfling hand or else by none." They are interrupted by skekSil, revealing the prophecy was the reason for the Gelfling genocide while trying to trick them into coming with him to the castle under false pretenses. But the Gelflings run off and reach the Castle of the Crystal on Landstriders, intercepting the Garthim that attacked Kira's village. While trying to free the captured Podlings, Kira, Jen, and Fizzgig descend to the bottom of the Castle's dry moat and use a lower-level entrance to gain access. But they are intercepted by skekSil, who buries Jen in a cave-in after being refused and takes Kira to the Skeksis. skekSil is reinstated while giving Kira to the Skeksis' Scientist skekTek to be drained of her life essence for skekUng to drink so that he can regain his youth. Aughra, imprisoned in the Scientist's laboratory, tells Kira to call for help from the captive animals; they break free in response and free Kira while causing skekTek to fall down the crystal shaft to his death. One of the urRu vanishes. Aughra frees herself soon after Kira left and before Jen arrived.
The three suns begin to align as the Gelflings reunite at the Crystal Chamber as the Skeksis gather for the ritual that will grant them immortality. Jen leaps onto the Dark Crystal but drops the Shard, with Kira taking it after Fizgig is knocked down the crystal shaft by skekUng and is saved by Aughra. Kira throws the Shard back to Jen as she fatally impaled by the Skeksis' Ritual-Master skekZog, with an enraged Jen inserting the Shard into the Crystal and fulfilling the prophecy. The Garthim disintegrate and the Podling slaves regain their essence while the dark stone covering the Castle crumbles away to reveal a crystalline structure. The urRu arrive and use the Crystal to merge themselves and the Skeksis into tall glowing beings known as urSkeks. The urSkeks' leader explains to Jen they had mistakenly shattered the Crystal long ago, splitting them into two races and decimating Thra, and that Jen's actions have restored them. The urSkeks revive Kira in gratitude for her sacrifice and Jen's courage, and then ascend to a higher level of existence, leaving the Crystal to the Gelflings on the now-rejuvenated Thra.”
1585715603744.png

Last edited:

rainerann

Star
Woah that’s a creepy looking movie. I have never seen it, but I can see that the creepiness would be a distraction to the storyline already.

A.J.

Star
“This is a helpless poor podling. He is getting the essence or life force drained out of him to be consumed by the emperor to prolong the emperor's youthfulness.”

Last edited:

Sunshine

Established
I freaking love that movie. I saw it in the theater when I was a kid, and just rewatched it a couple of months ago. It's held up well over time. The creepiness that makes you so uncomfortable is, in fact, central to the plot-- their world is dying with the Skeksis in charge. Hence the need for Jen as the reluctant hero.

Keep in mind, in the days before Disney, children's entertainment wasn't all cutesy and sanitized. Ever hear of Grimm's fairy tales? Hans Christian Anderson? These are what the previous generations grew up on, Frank Oz included. The stories were dark, scary, and didn't always end well for heroes or bystanders. Good training for real life.

polymoog

Superstar
i also saw this as a kid in the theatre. disturbing, but i liked it.

id like to add this:

the great conjunction

we are, according to some astrologers, approaching one in the very near future. what this puppet says is supposed to be accurate.

-----------

has anyone watched the new dark crystal series?